Welcome Mihai Popescu

I did think this would run most of the way through the transfer window and was pleasantly surprised when he came back last week. 

Hopefully just a bump in the road and we can get him back in soon, although I’m sure Goodwin will have his own ideas of what positions he wants to strengthen and what type of player he wants in. 

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

He is away because Dynamo Bucharest want a fee for him that is way out of our reach. We cannot afford him unless we plan to blow 33% of our budget on his fee. That would be plain stupid.

Add to that, they don't want to send him out on loan again. They want to sell him

Simple as that.

Loan deal was agreed by all accounts, plus why would he risk playing a bounce game in NI last week?

42 minutes ago, DumboBud said:

I did think this would run most of the way through the transfer window and was pleasantly surprised when he came back last week. 

Hopefully just a bump in the road and we can get him back in soon, although I’m sure Goodwin will have his own ideas of what positions he wants to strengthen and what type of player he wants in. 

Yes because we can go all season with Mackenzie and Baird as experienced centre backs, we need to strengthen all over the park except central midfield

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Pretty sure its about Money

Seriously some fans on here need to get real............................

We have strict budgets and I am sure our New Manager doesnt want the budget blown on a player that could cost 300k plus. Thats a lot of money.....

We might get him back on loan, but if not we move on- Like Oran- thanks for last season

I also have far more faith in Goodwins and Gus's ability than some on here

Knickerwetersabound# 

I'm a damn sight more pissed off at losing Mihai than I was at losing Oran.

2 hours ago, magnus said:

I read that 33% figure somewhere. Was it a Gordon Scott quote? Let's hope the asking price for Popescu was the reported £350,000 and not £150,000 or we are kidding ourselves on in this league.

Didn't we do that last season.

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

Dinamo dropped their asking price. Mihai's loan contract at St Mirren expired yesterday, so technically he HAS to return to Romania until something can be worked out. I wouldn't rule this one out just yet.

Thank you for that glimmer of hope.

I see the "get real" brigade out in force with the usual negative nonsense that they seem to bathe themselves in. Fun hoovers who suck the joy from anything/everything.

The fact is, the club does (for once) have a bit of money.  The club has unearthed a player of real talent and he actually WANTS to play for us.  So we CAN afford the asking price.  What the negative band seem to overlook is that the player is worth every penny.  If he is worth every penny to us just now he will be worth every penny in 2 years when we can look to sell him on.  Of course that is discounting the fact that top league survival is all the easier with a good player like him in the centre of your defence.  If we never try then Tony's top four talk is just that, mad ranting's indeed.

If we are never going to "roll the dice" and make that attempt at improving our lot then what is the point?   

5 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Thank you for that glimmer of hope.

I see the "get real" brigade out in force with the usual negative nonsense that they seem to bathe themselves in. Fun hoovers who suck the joy from anything/everything.

The fact is, the club does (for once) have a bit of money.  The club has unearthed a player of real talent and he actually WANTS to play for us.  So we CAN afford the asking price.  What the negative band seem to overlook is that the player is worth every penny.  If he is worth every penny to us just now he will be worth every penny in 2 years when we can look to sell him on.  Of course that is discounting the fact that top league survival is all the easier with a good player like him in the centre of your defence.  If we never try then Tony's top four talk is just that, mad ranting's indeed.

If we are never going to "roll the dice" and make that attempt at improving our lot then what is the point?   

We rolled the dice years ago and lost our beloved Stadium. 

And players play for money not their favourite Club. 

7 minutes ago, shull said:

We rolled the dice years ago and lost our beloved Stadium. 

And players play for money not their favourite Club. 

No Shull, I will not allow your depressing outlook on life to be bolstered by pishy fact grabbing without a modicum of intellect.  You are one of those fun hoovers, devoid of joy and ambition.

Purchasing a player of quality, whom we can afford at a time when we need him is NOT akin to the nonsense that nearly saw us go out of business in the early 1990's.  I recall those days all too well.  What should we use our income for?  paying off managers every year or occasionally should we invest in the team when an opportunity like this presents itself.

Teams around us occasionally "throw the dice" and teams around us occasionally break into the top six.  Saint Johnstone, Motherwell and Kilmarnock all regularly out perform us whilst we are always left looking on.  It is time that we redoubled our efforts and tried to match those who leave us behind every year.  None of those three clubs are bigger than us but they DO deliver better league positions year on year.....this depressing fact shows that our club is NOT doing as well as it should be.

With money coming in from players like Kenny McLean and John McGinn would it be reasonable to spend SOME of that cash on a quality player (who can always be sold on) or should we stay in the bargain basement having never tried?

Selling players for profit (like the two above) is essential but if we cannot re-invest something in the team then what is the point? 

Big Mihai would in all likliehood generate a profit as players of his quality don't tend to stay in Scottish football long before an overly rich English club comes a calling!

Disappointed to see him leave

Nothing to say however that he won’t be back ?

Defensively very good, but he would struggle to pass you in the street

Most of the time after winning the ball, gave it away.

Decent player, would’ve been delighted to see him stay

28 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

No Shull, I will not allow your depressing outlook on life to be bolstered by pishy fact grabbing without a modicum of intellect.  You are one of those fun hoovers, devoid of joy and ambition.

Purchasing a player of quality, whom we can afford at a time when we need him is NOT akin to the nonsense that nearly saw us go out of business in the early 1990's.  I recall those days all too well.  What should we use our income for?  paying off managers every year or occasionally should we invest in the team when an opportunity like this presents itself.

Teams around us occasionally "throw the dice" and teams around us occasionally break into the top six.  Saint Johnstone, Motherwell and Kilmarnock all regularly out perform us whilst we are always left looking on.  It is time that we redoubled our efforts and tried to match those who leave us behind every year.  None of those three clubs are bigger than us but they DO deliver better league positions year on year.....this depressing fact shows that our club is NOT doing as well as it should be.

With money coming in from players like Kenny McLean and John McGinn would it be reasonable to spend SOME of that cash on a quality player (who can always be sold on) or should we stay in the bargain basement having never tried?

Selling players for profit (like the two above) is essential but if we cannot re-invest something in the team then what is the point? 

Big Mihai would in all likliehood generate a profit as players of his quality don't tend to stay in Scottish football long before an overly rich English club comes a calling!

Shite. 

We can't even afford to fix the Ticketing System let alone waste money on players. We have an Academy to produce players. 

Big deal on Killie, Motherwell and St Johnstone spending money. In a League they can't win. Money down the drain....

We are sitting at nearly 30 pounds for a match ticket because of Clubs lunatic spending and economics. 

Game's Fecked. 

Well this is a real blow.

Not sure why he was back over training if just going to return once the loan was technically finished. Were Dinamo playing us and putting him in the shop window for other Scottish clubs? 

Questions have to be asked of the management of the club for not getting this wrapped up when it looked like a done deal.

3 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

(ignoring the stupid Heaton one under Stubbs)

Not sure what the problem is. We’ve had him a year now and as promised, he’s turned into an outstanding player. We will easily get enough money from selling him to buy Popescu. He was so close to breaking into the Kidderminster first team-

Ah wait, na, he couldn’t even break into bleddy Kidderminster’s first team. No wonder we don’t want to spend money again after signing that :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Well this is a real blow.

Not sure why he was back over training if just going to return once the loan was technically finished. Were Dinamo playing us and putting him in the shop window for other Scottish clubs? 

Questions have to be asked of the management of the club for not getting this wrapped up when it looked like a done deal.

Well done on the Club for not wasting money on a Professional Footballing Defender who cannae fecking pass a ball. 

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Were Dinamo playing us and putting him in the shop window for other Scottish clubs?

It’s possible, but they are struggling financially now. The loan would have had least saved a bit on wages for them, and they must be desperate for cash now as they don’t look likely to agree to more loans.

As the transfer market comes to a close Dinamo may budge on their requests...this could be a waiting game.

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

It’s possible, but they are struggling financially now. The loan would have had least saved a bit on wages for them, and they must be desperate for cash now as they don’t look likely to agree to more loans.

As the transfer market comes to a close Dinamo may budge on their requests...this could be a waiting game.

Unfortunately as we are already behind in signing anybody we can't afford to wait. 

That's what I'm hoping this is about.