Welcome Mihai Popescu

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Deal agreed with hearts. ☹️

Mihai Popescu (Dinamo) has an offer from Hearts in Scotland. He played for St. Mirren two seasons ago, on loan from Dinamo. Popescu agreed terms with Hearts and now awaits a deal between the clubs. Popescu is not part of the 1st team plans at Dinamo following Contra's appointment

Mihai Popescu (Dinamo) has an offer from Hearts in Scotland. He played for St. Mirren two seasons ago, on loan from Dinamo. Popescu agreed terms with Hearts and now awaits a deal between the clubs. Popescu is not part of the 1st team plans at Dinamo following Contra's appointment

Bummer ...

28 minutes ago, truesaint said:

At his age, that's probably his level...    :whistle

Edited by antrin

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:
3 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Me too. I’d have taken him back in a heartbeat over the summer.

Shaughnessy, McCarthy and Popescu would have made a very decent back three.

Oh well not to be, so we move on ...

We need another CB and someone of his quality would a great addition to the squad.

Agree with this, id be pretty annoyed if we finish this transfer window without bringing in cover for defence, popescu would be ideal but apparently last season his demands where a bit too high and that’s maybe why we’ve not pursued again this year. 

18 minutes ago, magnus said:

Still feel the Club have made a huge mistake not re-signing Popescu. Seems we have given very positive feed back to Hearts on his ability and character. Sore one for me.

Agreed. It is becoming clear that Goodwin only wants players he has brought in. I'm sure we could have got Popescu if we had wanted him. That would be fine as baggage from the past isn't always productive but Jim has so far not convinced me he has an eye for a good player. Hope I'm wrong because if not we have big problems

6 hours ago, magnus said:

Still feel the Club have made a huge mistake not re-signing Popescu. Seems we have given very positive feed back to Hearts on his ability and character. Sore one for me.

The club were ready to sign Popescu, as he arrived for pre-season training, only for his club to shift the goalposts and demand a six figure fee (£350K) for his services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48847110

It's no coincidence that Hearts have signed Popescu on the back of banking £1m plus from Bologna for Hickey.

Edited by FTOF

6 hours ago, Oldfellow said:

Agreed. It is becoming clear that Goodwin only wants players he has brought in. I'm sure we could have got Popescu if we had wanted him. That would be fine as baggage from the past isn't always productive but Jim has so far not convinced me he has an eye for a good player. Hope I'm wrong because if not we have big problems

I’d say Goodwin has shown an eye for a player, decent enough success rate at this level so far.

The big question for him now is can he get them working as a team.

43 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The club were ready to sign Popescu, as he arrived for pre-season training, only for his club to shift the goalposts and demand a six figure fee (£350K) for his services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48847110

It's no coincidence that Hearts have signed Popescu on the back of banking £1m plus from Bologna for Hickey.

Apparently it wasn't his club who demanded a fee. He would have only been joining us on loan again. It was his agent who demanded more money/wages (I would imagine under the instruction of Popescu). 

If Hearts are paying him that extra dosh then they are welcome to him in my opinion. 

• 10 months later...