St.Ricky

Welcome Mihai Popescu

7 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I believe it was actually 650k was it not?. Either way, its a quite incredible waste of money.

But no, Kpekewa isn't worth that. If we are using him as a barometer of transfer value we could make a few million just selling some of the steamers in our away support! :lol:

My point is that clubs pay stupid money for shit players. Rangers signed some guy for £2m and has hardly played a game for them. They now want to unload him. Popescu is not a shit player though and I think easily worth £350,00 although we don't have that sort of cash unless SMiSA chip in :)

We seem to be stuck here because of the fear of paying a transfer fee.

In the last few years though we have carried quite big squads, at times massive squads full of rubbish actually. Would we not be better to try and assemble a squad of 14 quality players backed up by young players from the academy? Lose a few from the wage bill and use that money to ensure we have a lean squad of Hladkys, Popescu, Flynns and Mullens rather than a huge squad of deadwood.

We seem to be stuck here because of the fear of paying a transfer fee.
In the last few years though we have carried quite big squads, at times massive squads full of rubbish actually. Would we not be better to try and assemble a squad of 14 quality players backed up by young players from the academy? Lose a few from the wage bill and use that money to ensure we have a lean squad of Hladkys, Popescu, Flynns and Mullens rather than a huge squad of deadwood.

No .

47 minutes ago, bigles said:

I think Popescu is a great player for us. We should do all within our means to get him. As with Vaclav, we may then be in for more money to repay our investment, and in the meantime retain a solid want to win player.

Get Popescu on a good length contract you will get more than the £350,000 wanted. 

Feck it... Give the OF all four stands if it generates enough profit to sign Popescu!

That's what it's all about nowadays is it not?

I'd push the boat out to generate cash to sign him but not sure the West stand season ticket holders would take the hit for the greater good!

Sure the S5 crew could drum up a song about it though!

5 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Offer €50,000 and %50 of any future transfer fee . 

I suspect we will have offered more that this. If we were willing to pay £75k for Heaton, that will be known as part of the negotiations. We will say that this is our normal range for buying players and they will argue that Popescu is better (not exactly a big surprise to anyone) and be looking for more.

We will sign Popescu unless they get a better offer . . .

1 hour ago, gstretchuk said:

Its amazing on here that folk want club to splash out on Popescu but don't want old firm getting both stands where it generates the money to sign players...not a clue!

Is it the same people who hold both views?

21 hours ago, bigles said:

I think Popescu is a great player for us. We should do all within our means to get him. As with Vaclav, we may then be in for more money to repay our investment, and in the meantime retain a solid want to win player.

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It beggars belief that anyone would advocate spending £350k on a single player.

Yup!

So he is sent back to his club at the end of his loan - negotiations ongoing - but he won't be signed by us for £350k or anything over £150k tops...

(100 k euros is my guess)

Popescu is a class above.

Having watched some of the dross the likes of Hearts had last year he is easily top 6 class. Unfortunately in Scotland top 6 class does not equate to £350K, or even half of that...

An excellent player but we as a club cannot fall back into the habit of spending daft money for the sake of it like the 90s - McGinn money or not.

Having said that, if he's available for something more reasonable, say £120K-£150K then we should definitely consider it.

3 hours ago, W6Saint said:

Popescu is a class above.

Having watched some of the dross the likes of Hearts had last year he is easily top 6 class. Unfortunately in Scotland top 6 class does not equate to £350K, or even half of that...

An excellent player but we as a club cannot fall back into the habit of spending daft money for the sake of it like the 90s - McGinn money or not.

Having said that, if he's available for something more reasonable, say £120K-£150K then we should definitely consider it.

You are right in many ways above. Teams like Hearts though have good CB's, though Berra is in the twilight of his career so that is a danger - they could splash £350 k.

This is the big worry - his team have loaned him to us and want money for him - we will have offered a certain amount, but will any of the teams who saw him last season out bid us? If Livi were not in as much debt, they surely would having lost their two CB's...

23 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I suspect we will have offered more that this. If we were willing to pay £75k for Heaton, that will be known as part of the negotiations. We will say that this is our normal range for buying players and they will argue that Popescu is better (not exactly a big surprise to anyone) and be looking for more.

We will sign Popescu unless they get a better offer . . .

We were skint after that. :rolleyes:.    Robbed into the bargain. Proper mugged.

This doesn't really relate to Popescu specifically, but the aim has got to be to make ourselves safer much, much earlier in the season so we can start to look at pre-contracts, etc. I'm not saying Halkett would have picked us over Hearts, but we've got to get ahead of ourselves a bit so that we can start this process sooner.

The nature of the Scottish game means an awful lot of players are on short contracts with their clubs - especially those at the lower end of the Prem/top end of the Champ, because none of the teams involved at that level know where they're going to be playing the following season. The playoffs are dramatic, but they completely kill off forward planning for a lot of teams.

The short-medium term aim has got to be to lift ourselves above that cluster and pick off the best players. :thumbs2

29 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

This doesn't really relate to Popescu specifically, but the aim has got to be to make ourselves safer much, much earlier in the season so we can start to look at pre-contracts, etc. I'm not saying Halkett would have picked us over Hearts, but we've got to get ahead of ourselves a bit so that we can start this process sooner.

The nature of the Scottish game means an awful lot of players are on short contracts with their clubs - especially those at the lower end of the Prem/top end of the Champ, because none of the teams involved at that level know where they're going to be playing the following season. The playoffs are dramatic, but they completely kill off forward planning for a lot of teams.

The short-medium term aim has got to be to lift ourselves above that cluster and pick off the best players. :thumbs2

Halkett was ours a year ago but Stubbs knocked him back . . .  enough said there...

The rumour was that when we signed Popescu, that there was a purchase clause in the contract... that would certainly have been the sensible thing to do :-

1. If it was true, are we trying to get him cheaper than this price? (Perhaps because the asking price was so high we would never have accepted it anyway)

2. Are we holding out to save a months wages?

3. Was there no clause in the contract?

Yes we want to be able to act earlier - noticed Motherwell have signed 5 already... pre-contracts will work for some players, but others will hold out for as good an offer as they can get and others will only be allowed to go out on loan when their clubs have brought in new signings...

I expect some of those from last season could come back / re-sign - I don't think we are in too bad a position considering we were in the play-offs...

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes we want to be able to act earlier - noticed Motherwell have signed 5 already... pre-contracts will work for some players, but others will hold out for as good an offer as they can get and others will only be allowed to go out on loan when their clubs have brought in new signings...

Completely agree, it'd just be nice not to be ruling ourselves out of one of those significant markets. That's three seasons running now we've been in the running to be in a different league the following season! A bit of stability would be lovely, albeit much less interesting.