Sir Andy.

linwood buddie

5 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Andy Murray to retire, hoping to last till Wimbledon but thinks it could be as soon as after the Ozzy Open. Great career and brought Scotland a lot of pride. 

He has the talent.  He has the titles.  He has the wealth. He does not have the health. 

A difficult decision,  but the right one. 

Thanks for the memories. 

He is 32, and he was plagued with problems since he was 16. I remember he used to wear ankle supports at 17- 20....

He can retire knowing he is the greatest Tennis player we have ever had, and more likely ever will have ,

A proud Scot also, and a gentleman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope he stays in game

17 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

He is 32, and he was plagued with problems since he was 16. I remember he used to wear ankle supports at 17- 20....

He can retire knowing he is the greatest Tennis player we have ever had, and more likely ever will have ,

A proud Scot also, and a gentleman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope he stays in game

he lacks the full complement of ankle ligaments, i recall a trainer/commentator mentioning it as a genetic condition as the camera focussed in on his ankle between games.  There is a surprising lack of info if you google his ankle problems, i suspct his team have worked hard to keep his medical problems under wraps for many years   

Unfortunately, if things aint right with your feet then your hips, back and shoulders are under pressure.  It is an acheivement in itself for him to have sustained his career to this point.

Edited by beyond our ken

9 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

he lacks the full complement of ankle ligaments, i recall a trainer/commentator mentioning it as a genetic condition as the camera focussed in on his ankle between games.  There is a surprising lack of info if you google his ankle problems, i suspct his team have worked hard to keep his medical problems under wraps for many years   

Unfortunately, if things aint right with your feet then your hips, back and shoulders are under pressure.  It is an acheivement in itself for him to have sustained his career to this point.

Totally true

And considering all that, he has done remarkably well to win 3 Majors and get to Umpteen finals

Added to fact we also have 3 other Legends in Novak,  Roger and Nadal playing at same time

Guy is a star

2 hours ago, guinness said:

I do not disagree with Andy Murrays standing in the list of sporting greats , but, and I might be being very old fashioned, I find these tearful press conferences both tedious and a bit embarrassing. Why do men feel the need to bawl in public nowadays?

Sounds like you are repressing some painful memories and emotions.

If you need to talk, we are here for you Bud.

3 hours ago, guinness said:

I do not disagree with Andy Murrays standing in the list of sporting greats , but, and I might be being very old fashioned, I find these tearful press conferences both tedious and a bit embarrassing. Why do men feel the need to bawl in public nowadays?

Trust me

You are very old fashioned !!!!!

Queen Victoria is dead- deal with it :wink:

4 hours ago, guinness said:

Maybe because his entire way of life and his career have ended outwith his control in the most public of places.

As for men repressing their emotions? Given the devastating effect repression of emotion causes to the mental health of so many men, it's a good thing that this attitude is dying out. It is not manly to repress your emotions. It's stupid.

Maybe because his entire way of life and his career have ended outwith his control in the most public of places.
As for men repressing their emotions? Given the devastating effect repression of emotion causes to the mental health of so many men, it's a good thing that this attitude is dying out. It is not manly to repress your emotions. It's stupid.

Long winded but you got there eventually...

https://www.behindthename.com/name/andrew

When Andy first got the injury seriously last year a doctor friend told me there is no way back from that kind of injury and so it's proved. Andy is set up for life financially while one door closed another will open. Coach and pundit will probably be his new future so it's not all bad. 

When Andy first got the injury seriously last year a doctor friend told me there is no way back from that kind of injury and so it's proved. Andy is set up for life financially while one door closed another will open. Coach and pundit will probably be his new future so it's not all bad. 

Coach - yes

Pundit ? Hmmm , not sure . I think he will have to attend double sessions of the Michael Owen “How to deal with the media” course .

He’s done it in the past and was, I read, (Sunday Times: David Walsh) “ excellent”.

it was during a previous period of illness and apparently the biggest reason for him perhaps not punditting...

...would be the inordinate periods of time cooped up in a small cramped box, unable to move much.  It proved painfully difficult for his hip/back.

• 2 weeks later...