Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
herman_munster

Indians in Space

Recommended Posts

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/isro-aims-to-send-indian-astronauts-to-space-by-december-2021/articleshow/67485107.cms

 

BENGALURU: Isro is aiming for a manned mission to space in December 2021. This will be preceded by two unmanned missions, slated for December 2020 and July 2021.
Isro got a shot in its arm with the approval of Rs 10,000 crore budget for the human space mission recently. On Friday, agency chief K Sivan reiterated that the final decision on how many people will go to space has not been taken yet.
"The endeavour is to build capacity for three people and seven days. But since this is the first mission, we will have to see how many we can send. Those decisions will be made later," Sivan K said.
Sivan said that the agency has formed a new Human Spaceflight Centre (HSC) which will be headed by senior scientist Unnikrishnan Nair. While Nair will be the director of the HSC, R Hutton, had been named the project director or Gaganyaan. 
But there is a long march before executing the ambitious mission, with crucial human-rating of the systems including the rocket yet to be achieved. 
Human-rating is the certification that says the system is capable of safely transporting humans, and has adequate technology that efficiently protects the crew (humans) in the event of any failure.
Chairman Sivan K said told TOI: “There is a lot of work in front of us, and we are working relentlessly. We could not have gone ahead without the money being approved as the mission needs a lot of new testing and development that is cost-sensitive.”
Most amount of the money— at least 50% of the Rs 10,000 crore— will go into human-rating of various systems, while a new launch pad that can accommodate entry of astronauts will also take up some money.
“We have to build three sets of rockets, crew and service module for the project, and all of them have to be human-rated. Although I don’t have the exact break-up of the figures at this moment, building three GSLV-MK III launch vehicles and the other modules and conducting various human-rating tests will definitely use about 50% of the budget,” Sivan said.
Each set will be used for three missions: Two unmanned missions planned in December 2020 and June-July 2021, and the actual mission which Isro hopes to achieve by December 2021 or early 2022.
S Somnath, director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) had in a recent presentation at the Institute of Aerospace Medicine (IAM)— which will select and train the astronauts for the human space mission— elaborated on some of the pending working that Sivan mentioned.

“We have already held 5-10 meetings on the roadmap for human-rating the launch vehicle. Since GSLV has been in active development since 2002-04, we had the vision that this could one day be used for the human mission which has been on the drawing table for long. So, it will be slightly more easy to make this rocket human-rated,” Somnath said.
Explaining that all systems for a space launch are designed with redundancies, he said that a human-rated mission will need a much higher degree of redundancy.
“The reliability targeted for human-rated launch vehicle is 0.99, which means statistically only 1 out of 100 can be unreliable. And, for the crew escape system, which is very crucial, we are targeting greater than 0.998, which means we want almost 100 reliability,” Somnath told TOI on Friday.
The crew escape system will boast of a recently included geometry, while work on parachute enlargement— as models tested so far have been scaled down version and the actual system will be bigger— and new architecture will be ready soon.
“Rockets are autonomous after launch so we cannot tolerate any failure. So a series of tests to make it reliable, including tests of the various regimes of flight, stability et al will be done first,” Somnath said.
The crew escape system is very crucial, and for that a lot of advancement has happened with the crucial tests, including the pad abort test (PAT) done on July 5 this year.
“Even if one system fails we will bring the crew back. And for this, the most important thing is failure detection and on-board intelligence that tells the system to abort. New algorithms to go into the system will be ready soon. And an indigenous computer and microprocessor will also be used. Control systems, avionics and sensors are ready,” Somnath said.
Astronaut training
Isro chief K Sivan Sivan said that astronaut selection and training, which will including establishment of some new facilities, will also take up considerable amount of the budget.
“There is still some things that need to be done, and this aspect of the project will use up about 10% of the budget cleared for the human mission,” Sivan said.

 Isro is at present in the process of creating a framework for astronaut selection and the IAM is yet to get the specifics. The IAM already has some systems in place for astronaut selection and training as reported by TOI. And India is looking at a pool of 30

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

India has a huge poverty problem which should be tackled will going into space help poverty? The Chinese have landed a probe on the so called dark side of the moon. While NASA are concentrating on Mars. 200 years from now , not long in space time humans will be going out to the far reaches of space. With water now found on Mars it will probably be colonized with humans living there. A new teliscop will replace Hubble in 2021 that will be 100 times stronger seeing much further into space. Hubble has let us know of 200 billion galaxy's the new telescope could find another additional 200 billion galaxy's all mind boggling figures . But don't worry we are alone according to Oaksoft so it could be all ours. :lol:

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

But don't worry we are alone according to Oaksoft so it could be all ours. :lol:

You'll struggle to find a post where I made that claim.

I don't mind you taking the piss or trying to be clever but try not to misquote me.

Also, if, at the age of 60, you can't form an opinion on whether investing in space exploration will help the Indian economy and by extension their poor then there really is no hope for you.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You'll struggle to find a post where I made that claim.

I don't mind you taking the piss or trying to be clever but try not to misquote me.

Also, if, at the age of 60, you can't form an opinion on whether investing in space exploration will help the Indian economy and by extension their poor then there really is no hope for you.

 

NmnOxHh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chalky1 said:

Need to remember and watch it

Just recently got Netflix and kind of binge watched series 1.

See there is also a new Picard “after the Next Generation” being done,  they have almost finished writing the first Series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Just recently got Netflix and kind of binge watched series 1.

See there is also a new Picard “after the Next Generation” being done,  they have almost finished writing the first Series.

 

I watched it when it first came on, decent show but some parts I don't get, i.e The Technology, I know it's a reboot etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, oaksoft said:

You'll struggle to find a post where I made that claim.

I don't mind you taking the piss or trying to be clever but try not to misquote me.

Also, if, at the age of 60, you can't form an opinion on whether investing in space exploration will help the Indian economy and by extension their poor then there really is no hope for you.

I'm sure you said there is not life out there ? You have been taking the piss out of me for years.  That's fine if you have no interest on the subject then I don't expect you to have any knowledge on evidence that's out there , having a mindset of 70's thinking anyone believing in UFO's is a nut job comes as no surprise. As for India poverty given your stance on UK poverty on this forum it should come as no surprise you see India spending billions of dollars on Rockets for space rather than helping 270 million Indian citizens who don't have basic needs such as running drinking water , sewage control, garbage control leading too 5,000 children dying daily in India ( DAILY ) . I really worry for the world to think there are people out there that share your views. 

 

 

 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm sure you said there is not life out there ? You have been taking the piss out of me for years.  That's fine if you have no interest on the subject then I don't expect you to have any knowledge on evidence that's out there , having a mindset of 70's thinking anyone believing in UFO's is a nut job comes as no surprise. As for India poverty given your stance on UK poverty on this forum it should come as no surprise you see India spending billions of dollars on Rockets for space rather than helping 270 million Indian citizens who don't have basic needs such as running drinking water , sewage control, garbage control leading too 5,000 children dying daily in India ( DAILY ) . I really worry for the world to think there are people out there that share your views. 

 

 

 

It does not surprise me at all that you can't see any benefit to the Indian economy from this achievment.

It does not surprise me in the least that you think the way to tackle poverty is to simply hand cash to the poor.

It does not surprise me that you believe in UFOs.

It does not surprise me that you get confused about who said what on the forum.

It does not surprise me to find you, yet again, displaying the intellect and vision of a wet sock.

I think life just leaves you baffled and befuddled at every opportunity.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It does not surprise me at all that you can't see any benefit to the Indian economy from this achievment.

It does not surprise me in the least that you think the way to tackle poverty is to simply hand cash to the poor.

It does not surprise me that you believe in UFOs.

It does not surprise me that you get confused about who said what on the forum.

It does not surprise me to find you, yet again, displaying the intellect and vision of a wet sock.

I think life just leaves you baffled and befuddled at every opportunity.

It does not surprise me you can't grasp basic infrastructure.                                                                                           It does not surprise me you can't grasp 5,000 children die every single day due to poverty in India.                                                                                        It does not surprise me you can't grasp 270 million people in India can't afford proper food.                                                                                               It does not surprise me you can't grasp India can do experiments in space at a fraction of the cost with ether Russia, America, European Space programme.                                                                                                        It does not surprise. me you can't grasp the subject of UFO's even though film footage realised by the American military footage of UFO by F-16's in their words is not of this world.                                                                                                                                Does not surprise me you can't grasp 200 billion galaxy's out there with another 200 billion possible to be seen when Hubles replacement teliscop goes into space in 2021.                                                                              Does not surprise me how clever and smart you keep telling the forum you are. Sums you up to a T.                   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It does not surprise me you can't grasp basic infrastructure.                                                                                           It does not surprise me you can't grasp 5,000 children die every single day due to poverty in India.                                                                                        It does not surprise me you can't grasp 270 million people in India can't afford proper food.                                                                                               It does not surprise me you can't grasp India can do experiments in space at a fraction of the cost with ether Russia, America, European Space programme.                                                                                                        It does not surprise. me you can't grasp the subject of UFO's even though film footage realised by the American military footage of UFO by F-16's in their words is not of this world.                                                                                                                                Does not surprise me you can't grasp 200 billion galaxy's out there with another 200 billion possible to be seen when Hubles replacement teliscop goes into space in 2021.                                                                              Does not surprise me how clever and smart you keep telling the forum you are. Sums you up to a T.                   

Tell you what. You really are very good at entertaining us on here.

I particularly liked the bit in bold. :lol:

The rest was wittering pish but the bit in bold was funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It does not surprise me at all that you can't see any benefit to the Indian economy from this achievment.

It does not surprise me in the least that you think the way to tackle poverty is to simply hand cash to the poor.

It does not surprise me that you believe in UFOs.

It does not surprise me that you get confused about who said what on the forum.

It does not surprise me to find you, yet again, displaying the intellect and vision of a wet sock.

I think life just leaves you baffled and befuddled at every opportunity.

Whilst l would agree that hand outs don't handle poverty , pray tell how an Indian space programme ( they are hardly going where no man has gone before) is a benefit to poverty rather than say spending the money improving sanitation or improving public water supply , I'm interested to hear , really , I am. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for butting in to a tête à tête….

An Indian government can only improve sanitation and water supplies if it has money. 

By developing a Space Program, it's highly likely that they believe it can be a commercial proposition.

Profits can be then utilised in other parts of society - aside from the benefits of training, education and inspiration of such a program for all Indians.

The trick though... one often missed in  developed societies such as the Uk… will be to divert any such profits towards an underclass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It does not surprise me to find you, yet again, displaying the intellect and vision of a wet sock.

For f**k sake, you’ve just made me snort out loud in the middle of the pub reading that :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Whilst l would agree that hand outs don't handle poverty , pray tell how an Indian space programme ( they are hardly going where no man has gone before) is a benefit to poverty rather than say spending the money improving sanitation or improving public water supply , I'm interested to hear , really , I am. .

With IOBS I was comparing an investment scheme with simply handing poor people money.

You've jumped in with both tackity boots asking me to compare two different investment schemes.

Either keep up with the conversation or talk to yourself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, antrin said:

Sorry for butting in to a tête à tête….

An Indian government can only improve sanitation and water supplies if it has money. 

By developing a Space Program, it's highly likely that they believe it can be a commercial proposition.

Profits can be then utilised in other parts of society - aside from the benefits of training, education and inspiration of such a program for all Indians.

The trick though... one often missed in  developed societies such as the Uk… will be to divert any such profits towards an underclass.

It may already have enough money for sanitation and water supplies. Spending on these things would also be an investment.

The question for the Indian government is which is a better investment in the longer term.

The key point distinction I was making was that the space exploration is an investment whilst handing money to poor people is a cost. You cannot solve poverty without putting money into investments instead of costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, antrin said:

Sorry for butting in to a tête à tête….

An Indian government can only improve sanitation and water supplies if it has money. 

By developing a Space Program, it's highly likely that they believe it can be a commercial proposition.

Profits can be then utilised in other parts of society - aside from the benefits of training, education and inspiration of such a program for all Indians.

The trick though... one often missed in  developed societies such as the Uk… will be to divert any such profits towards an underclass.

Any benefit , commercially or otherwise will go straight to the pockets and for the benefit of India’s Mega rich .

The poor in India will not see any benefit . India’s rulers and money men have long since given up caring about the poor in their country , far less the class below who take being poor to a new level. Let other countries charity look after them seems to be their mantra.

India are one of the richest nations on earth , they spend billions on Nuclear weapons and are in the top six for spend on Military in the world, I can’t see how has that helped their poor in the past ? 

They have more Billionaires than most European countries while it was only in the last few years they lost the title of having the most amount of their population living in extreme poverty..... and even that was because other countries got worse. .

I’m all for space exploration but for one nation to spend so much while so many go without seems ridiculous..... regardless of which country it is. 

 

 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

With IOBS I was comparing an investment scheme with simply handing poor people money.

You've jumped in with both tackity boots asking me to compare two different investment schemes.

Either keep up with the conversation or talk to yourself.

 

Big tackity boots ! No one likes a taste of their own medicine. .

 

 

 

I don't care how anyone wishes to dress it up , having a space programme when your people don't have proper sanitation is , ludicrous. That goes for spending billions to defend a people who are already dying in their droves from poverty too. Defending them from what ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Big tackity boots ! No one likes a taste of their own medicine. .

 

 

 

I don't care how anyone wishes to dress it up , having a space programme when your people don't have proper sanitation is , ludicrous. That goes for spending billions to defend a people who are already dying in their droves from poverty too. Defending them from what ? 

Because the Chinese 1.4 billions are all rolling in it ?

Where do you start or finish with this

 

I would rather Indians spent money on exploration rather than stock piling Nuclear Weapons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Big tackity boots ! No one likes a taste of their own medicine. .

 

 

 

I don't care how anyone wishes to dress it up , having a space programme when your people don't have proper sanitation is , ludicrous. That goes for spending billions to defend a people who are already dying in their droves from poverty too. Defending them from what ? 

Unless you are an Indian citizen I would suggest you need to take a nice warm cup of calm the f**k down.

Jeez.

Indians are perfectly capable of running their own country without people like you pontificating from on high. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Any benefit , commercially or otherwise will go straight to the pockets and for the benefit of India’s Mega rich .

The poor in India will not see any benefit . India’s rulers and money men have long since given up caring about the poor in their country , far less the class below who take being poor to a new level. Let other countries charity look after them seems to be their mantra.

India are one of the richest nations on earth , they spend billions on Nuclear weapons and are in the top six for spend on Military in the world, I can’t see how has that helped their poor in the past ? 

They have more Billionaires than most European countries while it was only in the last few years they lost the title of having the most amount of their population living in extreme poverty..... and even that was because other countries got worse. .

I’m all for space exploration but for one nation to spend so much while so many go without seems ridiculous..... regardless of which country it is. 

 

 

You, IOBS and saintnextlifetime should form a charity called Privileged Westerners and go out there and tell these people how to run their own country. Your slogan should be "We will protect you from yourself". When you have finished with India you should then move onto China and then the entire African continent. With your combined brainpower and indepth knowledge of the affairs of these countries, world poverty could be at an end before you know it. :lol:

Make sure you update your Instagram, Twitter and Facebook feeds as you go, to keep us all informed. :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×