Welcome Vaclav Hladky

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

It's our new #moneyball approach starting to pay off. Shame he's not on a proper 18 month deal or we'd have an asset on our hands in the summer, even if we did go down.

He is on a proper 18 month deal as far as I recall. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

You used to expect Money to save penalties. Expect.

Because he usually did save them.

I reckon he's not only better than everyone since him, he's streets ahead of most of them.

.................and take them!

More solid than Thompson who on his day was near to unbeatable, but had a few bad ones.

.................and take them!
More solid than Thompson who on his day was near to unbeatable, but had a few bad ones.

Sums it up pretty well for me too. As a wee lad, Billy Thomson was my hero. Looked the part and made spectacular saves. Was really upset when he left, but started to realise Money would catch balls that Thomson would tip over and roll over 3 times. Both great keepers in their own right, but Money, who was more consistent just edges it for me. Hladky looks like the real deal. The chances of having him around for the same period of time as we had Thomson and Money is probably nil, but if we did he would surely end up as a Saints legend. Great keeper(so far).

7 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Would the older ones among us say he’s the best we’ve had since Money?

Older ones?!

Campbell Money is barely old himself.

Older!

Hladky looks good, but he's also been at fault a few times. A few Hibs and Aberdeen goals spring to mind. Think a few are getting carried away after a couple games. Certainly can't be putting him ahead of Ludo & Hinchy yet. 

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Older ones?!

Campbell Money is barely old himself.

Older!

Hladky looks good, but he's also been at fault a few times. A few Hibs and Aberdeen goals spring to mind. Think a few are getting carried away after a couple games. Certainly can't be putting him ahead of Ludo & Hinchy yet. 

The majority of his Saints years were before I was born, so aye, yer an auld bastard :D

I still disagree on the Hibs goal, I lay no blame at all on Hladky, he was left stranded by the defence/midfield.

9 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

The majority of his Saints years were before I was born, so aye, yer an auld bastard :D

I still disagree on the Hibs goal, I lay no blame at all on Hladky, he was left stranded by the defence/midfield.

I've just checked and Money is listed as being with St Mirren until 1996. This confirms many a young man will have seen Campbell Money in his goal-scoring prime, myself included.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

I've just checked and Money is listed as being with St Mirren until 1996. This confirms many a young man will have seen Campbell Money in his goal-scoring prime, myself included.

I was born in the 90s, so even if I had attended a match during that time I wouldn’t have remembered him :lol:

27 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Didn’t the poster say best SINCE money ? Why are folks mentioning Thompson or connaghan ?

Actually what the poster (Cornwall_Saint) said, was "Would the older ones among us say he’s the best we’ve had since Money?",.  Note; there is no specific emphasis on 'since' and also since I am 'an older one', my take on that question, was  that the poster  viewed Money as the best keeper until Hladky arrived, I thought differently and offered Connaghan as my best keeper, others thought Thompson and some even suggested Les Fridge, who in my opinion was brilliant or NOT.  B)

36 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Actually what the poster (Cornwall_Saint) said, was "Would the older ones among us say he’s the best we’ve had since Money?",.  Note; there is no specific emphasis on 'since' and also since I am 'an older one', my take on that question, was  that the poster  viewed Money as the best keeper until Hladky arrived, I thought differently and offered Connaghan as my best keeper, others thought Thompson and some even suggested Les Fridge, who in my opinion was brilliant or NOT.  B)

Have to agree with this - Silly Billy and Campbell on the Money were right good goalies - We 've not had another at that level since, with the possible exception of our Latest - HLADKY     -    Who was moaning about Gus and the way we were picking us players and how it was not working?????    :spud6

• 1 month later...

How good has Vaclav been for us? He’s a tremendous keeper and if we do scrape survival he will have been a big part of the jigsaw. If he continues his current form it won’t go unnoticed and I could see an English Championship or top six Scottish team chasing him. If we stay up it would be brilliant if we can hang on to him. Credit to Gus McPherson, if it was him that unearthed Popescu and Hladky; superb signings.

19 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

He is on 18 months, but can't imagine we'd make him stick around if we go down. At least we'd be due a fee.

We are NOT going down and he will be with us next season - I'd imagine he will be offered a contract extension as he is a very real asset.  :spud7