Welcome Vaclav Hladky

6 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this, but I think Craig Samson was better. 

Yes, Hladky has been decent, but nothing special. He seems to have acquired legendary status based on the penalty shootout in the playoff. 

I live in Czech Rep and when I speak to people here who support his former club Liberec, they are genuinely stunned when I tell them how much Saints fans love him.  He spent most of his time in CZ as a number two. 

My opinion is that he is definitely decent, but not somebody who cannot be replaced easily. 

You live in Prague so, therefore, didn't watch him week by week. An outstanding goalkeeper who has made some tremendous performances out with the penalty shoot out. As for better than Samson? Nope.

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this, but I think Craig Samson was better. 
Yes, Hladky has been decent, but nothing special. He seems to have acquired legendary status based on the penalty shootout in the playoff. 
I live in Czech Rep and when I speak to people here who support his former club Liberec, they are genuinely stunned when I tell them how much Saints fans love him.  He spent most of his time in CZ as a number two. 
My opinion is that he is definitely decent, but not somebody who cannot be replaced easily. 

Bullshit, well seen you don’t attend many games.

15 minutes ago, shull said:

Sammy is the Clean Sheet King. 

And he achieved that with absolutely no help whatsoever. 

Imagine still being raging about this. 

c’mon Shull there’s more pressing matters. Remember Jack Ross rested a few players for a challenge cup game? 😡

52 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I can only assume your opinion is based on very few games that you managed to watch.

Hladky was better than Sammy in so many different aspects of goalkeeping, but if I was to highlight just a couple of those,

1. I would rate him as top notch in dealing with cross balls. Hladky's judgement and safe handling gave his defence (and supporters) immense confidence in him.

2. Hladky's was hugely confident playing the ball on the ground and his subsequent distribution of the ball was the best I can ever remember from a St Mirren goalkeeper.

Goalkeeping isn't all about shot stopping.

As much as I thought that Samson had a great spell with us, he is nowhere near as good a 'keeper as Hladky. Not in a million years.

Fans of other clubs who Samson played for, have him down as one of their worst 'keepers ever. e.g Motherwell. He is ridiculed by fans of other teams too.

Hladky is highly rated by the majority of fans of other teams in the premiership, which speaks volumes for his ability.

2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

You live in Prague so, therefore, didn't watch him week by week. An outstanding goalkeeper who has made some tremendous performances out with the penalty shoot out. As for better than Samson? Nope.

Actually, I managed to attend 10 games last season(not bad for living 1500 miles away) and watched almost all of the remaining online. I think I only didn't manage to see maybe 2 or 3 games. .........and yes I do believe Samson was slightly better. 

Also, having lived over here for 10 years, I follow Czech football just as much as I do Scottish football, and I saw Hladky play at Liberec and Brno before that. long before anybody at St Mirren had ever heard of him. Let's just say, at no point did he ever 'set the heather on fire' over here. Hence why all the Slovan Liberec fans that I know are stunned that he is worshipped so much in Paisley.

I am not slating him, I think he is a decent keeper (since he has been at Saints) and definitely one of the better keepers we have had. But, I will be very surprised if he goes onto MUCH bigger than us. He has been able to speak to teams since January and if someone was really keen to get him, they would have him now on a PCA.

I think he will end up signing a new contract with us. I hope he does.

Edited by Prague Buddie

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I think Lyness is a very able keeper so no fears with him in goal next season. 

Fear not.

I very much doubt that Lyness will be first choice for us next year.

I know that we had a wee sniff around Gillespie from Motherwell, who is a very good 'keeper. It wasn't to be though. This would indicate that we're on the hunt for a new first choice 'keeper.

We knocked back a six figure fee twice for Vaclav one at least from a team in the Champions League. So it ain't just St Mirren that rate him.

Personally I rate him as the best keeper I have seen with us. Money and Thomson were also great keepers but Vaclav is a far better footballer for kick-outs and playing as a sweeper.

We knocked back a six figure fee twice for Vaclav one at least from a team in the Champions League. So it ain't just St Mirren that rate him.

Personally I rate him as the best keeper I have seen with us. Money and Thomson were also great keepers but Vaclav is a far better footballer for kick-outs and playing as a sweeper.
Definitely the best all round modern keeper I've seen at Saints, with his distribution starting many of our attacks.

The keepers role has changed so much since the days of Dibble and The Fish... But if all three were in Top Trump cards... I'd choose Vaclav!

55 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Definitely the best all round modern keeper I've seen at Saints, with his distribution starting many of our attacks.

The keepers role has changed so much since the days of Dibble and The Fish... But if all three were in Top Trump cards... I'd choose Vaclav!

Still Money for me

Modern game wouldn't be a problem for him

Started out as an outfield player so the ball at his feet he wouldn't have suffered unlike Jim Leighton who was just a great shotstopper

Like everyone else has said, I also can only conclude this poster hasn't seen much of Hladky. He is one of the best goalkeepers I've seen at St Mirren. Also find it strange another teams fans would be countering this by saying he was their second choice... Surely most of their fans didn't see much of him play then? 

Will be very sorry to see him go but wish him all the best, he can go far in the game. 

12 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Still Money for me

Started out as an outfield player so the ball at his feet he wouldn't have suffered unlike Jim Leighton who was just a great shotstopper

Was going to mention that Dibble was actually a very decent outfield player and great with the ball at his feet.

For old farts like us, who witnessed Money's career from start to finish, we're more likely to favour him over Hladky.

Hladky is an excellent 'keeper, but Money was a better 'keeper IMO. Not by much mind.

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Like everyone else has said, I also can only conclude this poster hasn't seen much of Hladky. He is one of the best goalkeepers I've seen at St Mirren. Also find it strange another teams fans would be countering this by saying he was their second choice... Surely most of their fans didn't see much of him play then? 

Will be very sorry to see him go but wish him all the best, he can go far in the game. 

Didn't you read his post? :1eye

It's all about opinions, there's no right or wrong in these debates. 

2 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Actually, I managed to attend 10 games last season(not bad for living 1500 miles away) and watched almost all of the remaining online. I think I only didn't manage to see maybe 2 or 3 games. .........and yes I do believe Samson was slightly better. 

Also, having lived over here for 10 years, I follow Czech football just as much as I do Scottish football, and I saw Hladky play at Liberec and Brno before that. long before anybody at St Mirren had ever heard of him. Let's just say, at no point did he ever 'set the heather on fire' over here. Hence why all the Slovan Liberec fans that I know are stunned that he is worshipped so much in Paisley.

I am not slating him, I think he is a decent keeper (since he has been at Saints) and definitely one of the better keepers we have had. But, I will be very surprised if he goes onto MUCH bigger than us. He has been able to speak to teams since January and if someone was really keen to get him, they would have him now on a PCA.

22 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Still Money for me

Even worse, remember what happened to Bonnar at Celtic when the pass back rule came in? 

Complete meltdown. :lol:

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Didn't you read his post? :1eye

It's all about opinions, there's no right or wrong in these debates. 

Yes I did, my post was a perfectly reasonable response, same as others. You need to curb this obsession bud :P 

22 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Was going to mention that Dibble was actually a very decent outfield player and great with the ball at his feet.

For old farts like us, who witnessed Money's career from start to finish, we're more likely to favour him over Hladky.

Hladky is an excellent 'keeper, but Money was a better 'keeper IMO. Not by much mind.

Billy Thomson was also a very good outfield player. 

For me both Money and Thomson were better than Hladky.

3 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I think he will end up signing a new contract with us. I hope he does.

Stopped reading after first line ?

15 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yes I did, my post was a perfectly reasonable response, same as others. You need to curb this obsession bud :P 

Others posted BEFORE he posted his reply ya warmer. 🤡

It's well documented you'll squirm around to try to deflect you made a cnut of it.

Today's only 2 posts for you, wasted 4 the other day. :byebye

6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

So, if you read my post, why did you write........ 

"Like everyone else has said, I also can only conclude this poster hasn't seen much of Hladky" 

Actually I would say FOR Sure that I have seen more of Hladky's career than most(if not all) Saints fans.  I will say it again, before he came to Saints he had a very underwhelming career. 

He has certainly upped his game since he went to Paisley and over the last year and a half he has performed at an exceptional level. But, I also saw his career before Paisley and it was nothing worth mentioning. 

I am perhaps being a little unfair by judging him over the last 5 years as opposed to just his time at Saints. 

12 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Billy Thomson was also a very good outfield player. 

For me both Money and Thomson were better than Hladky.

As much as I thought Thomson was great (we named a cat after him), he was prone to too many gaffes.

I haven't seen Hladky make too many mistakes, and I just feel he's less streaky than Thomson was.

Hladky has also played in much worse teams than Thomson did.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As much as I thought Thomson was great (we named a cat after him), he was prone to too many gaffes.

I haven't seen Hladky make too many mistakes, and I just feel he's less streaky than Thomson was.

Hladky has also played in much worse teams than Thomson did.

You called your cat "gaffes"? :rolleyes: