Welcome Vaclav Hladky

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As much as I thought Thomson was great (we named a cat after him), he was prone to too many gaffes.

I haven't seen Hladky make too many mistakes, and I just feel he's less streaky than Thomson was.

Hladky has also played in much worse teams than Thomson did.

There is no comparison between the teams that each of them played in. Its depressing.

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

So, if you read my post, why did you write........ 

"Like everyone else has said, I also can only conclude this poster hasn't seen much of Hladky" 

Actually I would say FOR Sure that I have seen more of Hladky's career than most(if not all) Saints fans.  I will say it again, before he came to Saints he had a very underwhelming career. 

He has certainly upped his game since he went to Paisley and over the last year and a half he has performed at an exceptional level. But, I also saw his career before Paisley and it was nothing worth mentioning. 

I am perhaps being a little unfair by judging him over the last 5 years as opposed to just his time at Saints. 

Maybe he just likes playing in the rain :blink:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Others posted BEFORE he posted his reply ya warmer. 🤡

It's well documented you'll squirm around to try to deflect you made a cnut of it.

Today's only 2 posts for you, wasted 4 the other day. :byebye

Lol aw pal no luck. My post was absolutely fine and allowed. I think it's been shown I can post almost anything and it'll get you crying your eyes out. 

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

So, if you read my post, why did you write........ 

"Like everyone else has said, I also can only conclude this poster hasn't seen much of Hladky" 

Actually I would say FOR Sure that I have seen more of Hladky's career than most(if not all) Saints fans.  I will say it again, before he came to Saints he had a very underwhelming career. 

He has certainly upped his game since he went to Paisley and over the last year and a half he has performed at an exceptional level. But, I also saw his career before Paisley and it was nothing worth mentioning. 

I am perhaps being a little unfair by judging him over the last 5 years as opposed to just his time at Saints. 

I feel your more changing your opinion now following the feedback. Seems the way to me anyway.

He has indeed been exceptional since coming to St Mirren which would make me wonder why even post the first message? If it's indeed because you were judging him on what he was doing while sitting on a bench then yes, it's pretty unfair lol. 

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Lol aw pal no luck. My post was absolutely fine and allowed. I think it's been shown I can post almost anything and it'll get you crying your eyes out. 

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

I feel your more changing your opinion now following the feedback. Seems the way to me anyway.

He has indeed been exceptional since coming to St Mirren which would make me wonder why even post the first message? If it's indeed because you were judging him on what he was doing while sitting on a bench then yes, it's pretty unfair lol. 

PWICK. :lol:

Hladky and Samson have been our best modern day (last 30 odd years) keepers. 

Comparisons between those 2 and Thompson & Money are difficult to make, as the game is now very different to what it was like in the 70s & 80s. 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

Comparisons between those 2 and Thompson & Money are difficult to make, as the game is now very different to what it was like in the 70s & 80s. 

Agree 100% about football nowadays having evolved into a very different sport to the one we enjoyed 40 / 45 years ago. The art of goalkeeping has been transformed. Previously all about keeping the ball out of the pokey,  nowadays the best keepers are also the first line if attack. They also need to be comfortable on the ball like any outfield player. 

As for best St Mirren keepers in the last 30 years or so I would rank Hinchy ahead of Sammy (purely IMHO).

Ludo Roy was better than the King of the Shutouts. 

Fair play to Craig though, he single handedly kept aw those clean sheets. We could have played without defenders when SUPERSAMMY GUARDIT OUR GOALS. 

16 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I am definitely Not changing my opinion.  As I said at the beginning he is a decent keeper. The only thing I went on to say is that he had an exceptional year and a half in Paisley. But, I also saw him for 4 years struggle to hold down a place in Liberec. Everytime he was given a chance he never did enough to hold down his place. 

That he is a 'decent' keeper is my opinion

As for everything else, that is all a Fact!!!

Like it or lump

7 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this, but I think Craig Samson was better. 

Yes, Hladky has been decent, but nothing special. He seems to have acquired legendary status based on the penalty shootout in the playoff. 

I live in Czech Rep and when I speak to people here who support his former club Liberec, they are genuinely stunned when I tell them how much Saints fans love him.  He spent most of his time in CZ as a number two. 

My opinion is that he is definitely decent, but not somebody who cannot be replaced easily. 

You said it yourself Prague and with a machine gun :fire Think you need to cut down on that strong Czech Lager mate,  You could at least have said Campbell Money and a warning shot would have been sufficient 

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

There is no comparison between the teams that each of them played in. Its depressing.

Just as an aside, I watched the 1979 game between Wales and Scotland last week (shown as though it was live).

Our team had Dalglish, Hansen, Hegarty, Rough, Jordan, and a host of others that we look back on as legends.

Players unable to pass the ball properly, poor ball control, no apparent awareness of other players around them. Players ball watching, nobody making space for each other.

I bore little difference to what we watch up here today.

It's not that Scottish football has gone backwards since then. It just hasn't progressed at all beyond where it was in those earlier days.

Every other nation has simply moved on and left us behind.

Watching the German matches this week and honestly none of our legends would have coped with such teams.

Depressingly, it seems that our legends are nothing of the kind. They were simply the best amongst the competition at the time.

Edited by oaksoft

Campbell Money was arguably the bravest keeper I’ve witnessed in St Mirren colours. Had he not been understudy to Billy Thomson I reckon Dibble could have been our record appearance holder. 
To think that Billy Thomson earned 7 Scotland caps while with Saints is amazing. He was an elegant keeper but will forever be remembered as the keeper that broke our hearts in cup semi finals. 
Both those keepers for me are better than our current one based on how many appearances they made and they both experienced European football with Saints. 

Maybe it’s just because I’m an auld cnut now and the memory plays tricks.

More importantly he didn't break our hearts in 87. [emoji16]

59 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Just as an aside, I watched the 1979 game between Wales and Scotland last week (shown as though it was live).

Our team had Dalglish, Hansen, Hegarty, Rough, Jordan, and a host of others that we look back on as legends.

Players unable to pass the ball properly, poor ball control, no apparent awareness of other players around them. Players ball watching, nobody making space for each other.

It's not that Scottish football has gone backwards since then. It just hasn't progressed at all beyond where it was in those earlier days.

Watching the German matches this week and honestly none of our legends would have coped with such teams.

Depressingly, it seems that our legends are nothing of the kind. They were simply the best amongst the competition at the time.

Watch Scotland v Brazil from 1974 recently and like you, i was amazed at how poor our best players were. 

Hopefully they will play better against Holland tonight  :rolleyes:

Sorry for going off topic   :oops

2 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

I am definitely Not changing my opinion.  As I said at the beginning he is a decent keeper. The only thing I went on to say is that he had an exceptional year and a half in Paisley. But, I also saw him for 4 years struggle to hold down a place in Liberec. Everytime he was given a chance he never did enough to hold down his place. 

That he is a 'decent' keeper is my opinion

As for everything else, that is all a Fact!!!

Like it or lump

Very harsh and not needed view on a massive player for us over his time at the club.  My opinion like it or lump it. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The St Mirren team that outplayed St Etienne at Love Street in 1980 would have hammered the current side. 

That french team was full of international players and we battered them. 

In the 80s good quality players stayed in Scotland, nowadays they go down south for money.

Watch any Sky match in the lower leagues and there are a host of Scots plying their trade down there. In the 80s these guys played in Scotland.

Not a chance today that Aberdeen or Dundee United etc could assemble the squad they had in those days.

The players you list all qualified for major tournaments also ?

Edited by lenziebud

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Very harsh and not needed view on a massive player for us over his time at the club.  My opinion like it or lump it. 

What exactly is very harsh??? 

I said he is a decent keeper who has had an exceptional year and a half. 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Baz is this you managing to annoy yet another poster?

Still think it's everyone else who is the problem?

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

The St Mirren team that outplayed St Etienne at Love Street in 1980 would have hammered the current side. 

That french team was full of international players and we battered them. 

In the 80s good quality players stayed in Scotland, nowadays they go down south for money.

Watch any Sky match in the lower leagues and there are a host of Scots plying their trade down there. In the 80s these guys played in Scotland.

Not a chance today that Aberdeen or Dundee United etc could assemble the squad they had in those days.

The players you list all qualified for major tournaments also ?

I explained all of this in my post. We were better than everyone else at that time but every country moved on except us by the looks of it.

There is absolutely no chance that those players could compete with modern teams IMO unless they embraced the latest methods and they certainly wouldn't be qualifying for major tournaments. This sounds like a minor thing but it highlights the attitude problem which is holding us back. We are stuck in an endless search for how to get back to the standards we apparently had back then. We are already there. What we need is to look forward not backwards.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Edited by oaksoft

6 hours ago, munoz said:

None of the keepers mentioned came anywhere near Jimmy Brown😊

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

14 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

None of the keepers mentioned came anywhere near Jimmy Brown😊

I confess he's slightly before my time, but I'll take your word for it. 

9 hours ago, FTOF said:

As much as I thought Thomson was great (we named a cat after him), he was prone to too many gaffes.

I haven't seen Hladky make too many mistakes, and I just feel he's less streaky than Thomson was.

Hladky has also played in much worse teams than Thomson did.

I made comments to that effect on a football forum and his son came on to give me s hard time . 

Thomson was sometimes brilliant , but made some terrible blunders in a couple of semi finals .

Hope we can convince Vaclav to sign a new contract .  

On 5/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Prague Buddie said:

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this, but I think Craig Samson was better. 

Yes, Hladky has been decent, but nothing special. He seems to have acquired legendary status based on the penalty shootout in the playoff. 

I live in Czech Rep and when I speak to people here who support his former club Liberec, they are genuinely stunned when I tell them how much Saints fans love him.  He spent most of his time in CZ as a number two. 

My opinion is that he is definitely decent, but not somebody who cannot be replaced easily. 

That is at best harsh, at worst completely inaccurate. It doesn't suggest to me you're basing your opinion over five years, seems barely over five minutes. 

13 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Baz is this you managing to annoy yet another poster?

Still think it's everyone else who is the problem?

My first post on this was agreeing with several other posters, I seem to be pretty much the only one that was jumped on by FS (as he does with almost anything I post) The other argument is with the person I have openly said I disagree with. (as have many others)

Looking at each conversation in isolation, as I have said, it isn't an issue of everyone else vs me, it's the usual suspects. 

Edited by bazil85