Welcome Vaclav Hladky

Guest TPAFKATS
Over the 4 years...... Four that I remember. 
Tomas Koubek, Martin Dubravka. Ondrej Kolar and Filip Nguyen
First 3 playing at a much higher level than St. Mirren.

17 hours ago, Leatherface said:

Tuesday 26th -Baz day- finally admitted he was wrong.

To be fair he is wrong nearly everyday but never admits it!

I have always been one to put my hands up when wrong. Some people would like to believe it happens more on here but your claim is incorrect. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
16 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:
Over the 4 years...... Four that I remember. 
Tomas Koubek, Martin Dubravka. Ondrej Kolar and Filip Nguyen

First 3 playing at a much higher level than St. Mirren.

Filip Nguyen at Slovan Liberec is a higher level than St Mirren too. You just have to look how recently they won the Czech league (champions in 2002, 2006 & 2012) and their European record ( 3 times in the Europa Lge group stage in the past 7 years, qualifying for the knockout stages once) to confirm that. 

Edited by Prague Buddie

Guest TPAFKATS
Filip Nguyen at Slovan Liberec is a higher level than St Mirren too. You just have to look how recently they won the Czech league (champions in 2002, 2006 & 2012) and their European record ( 3 times in the Europa Lge group stage in the past 7 years, qualifying for the knockout stages once) to confirm that. 
So all 4 goalkeepers who he no2 to are playing at higher levels than Hladky is at St. Mirren.

Kinda dilutes your theory on him a bit?

37 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

So all 4 goalkeepers who he no2 to are playing at higher levels than Hladky is at St. Mirren.

Kinda dilutes your theory on him a bit?

What exactly is my theory? 

Liberec fans thought he was average while he was there. Fact! 

I also thought he was average while he was there.. Fact! 

St Mirren fans think he has been superb for St Mirren... Fact! 

I also think he has been superb for St Mirren... Fact! 

I think that based on the 5 or 6 years, I have known him as a player, I would average that out to be 'decent'..... MY OPINION. 

Just because the players you are playing with  go onto bigger and better things doesn't mean that makes YOU any better. John Mcginn kept Jon Robertson out of the team. What clubs are they at now? 

Why can't people just accept that when he was at Liberec he failed? 

Thankfully when he came to Saints he started to play great and hit a run of form. He has been nothing short of superb for us. 

I feel like I am being vilified here because I dared to say he was average before he joined. Not just my opinion, but also the opinion of the fans of the team he played for. Why can't some people just accept that? 

Edited by Prague Buddie

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

What exactly is my theory? 

Liberec fans thought he was average while he was there. Fact! 

I also thought he was average while he was there.. Fact! 

St Mirren fans think he has been superb for St Mirren... Fact! 

I also think he has been superb for St Mirren... Fact! 

I think that based on the 5 or 6 years, I have known him as a player, I would average that out to be 'decent'..... MY OPINION. 

Just because the players you are playing with  go onto bigger and better things doesn't mean that makes YOU any better. John Mcginn kept Jon Robertson out of the team. What clubs are they at now? 

Why can't people just accept that when he was at Liberec he failed? 

Thankfully when he came to Saints he started to play great and hit a run of form. He has been nothing short of superb for us. 

I feel like I am being vilified here because I dared to say he was average before he joined. Not just my opinion, but also the opinion of the fans of the team he played for. Why can't some people just accept that? 

I think for most, it’s more why are you bringing it up? Hladky has been a fantastic servant in his time here, he’s been consistent for the roughly 14 months he played for the club. So why drag up his previous club when he largely sat on the bench? It’s not all that relevant, it doesn’t mean he’s easily replaceable, not as good as Sammy & it doesn’t mean your view that you can average a brilliant player out as average based on his form from years ago is right. 

I would say you’ve made your point though, you knew you’d get backlash for it & that’s exactly what has happened. 

Prague brought it up, as he had an insight into Hladky that none of us could have had.

it was interesting, informative, relevant and he perceptively predicted that there would be tubes on here who might disagree.

So I’ve answered your first silly sentence.  And he pointedly predicted that someone like you wouldn’t stfu about it.

QED

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think for most, it’s more why are you bringing it up? Hladky has been a fantastic servant in his time here, he’s been consistent for the roughly 14 months he played for the club. So why drag up his previous club when he largely sat on the bench? It’s not all that relevant, it doesn’t mean he’s easily replaceable, not as good as Sammy & it doesn’t mean your view that you can average a brilliant player out as average based on his form from years ago is right. 

I would say you’ve made your point though,  you knew you’d get backlash for it & that’s exactly what has Happened.

Edited by antrin

13 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I would say you’ve made your point though, you knew you’d get backlash for it & that’s exactly what has happened. 

Why does anybody bother bringing anything up then? I think it was a perfectly legitimate point.

It was also a point of circumstances. I just happen to live in Czech republic and follow Czech football. I also knew a fair bit about Vaclav's career before he came to Saints. Based  on that I thought it might interest people to hear that our current/ex GK has improved massively since he came to  us. I also aired MY OPINION that for a player to be regarded as one of our best there has to be longevity and some success for me. I stress this is ONLY my opinion, if you don't like it, it's fine.

Taking all that into account, why not bring it up?????

Edited by Prague Buddie

9 hours ago, antrin said:

Prague brought it up, as he had an insight into Hladky that none of us could have had.

it was interesting, informative, relevant and he perceptively predicted that there would be tubes on here who might disagree.

So I’ve answered your first silly sentence.  And he pointedly predicted that someone like you wouldn’t stfu about it.

QED

27 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Why does anybody bother bringing anything up then? I think it was a perfectly legitimate point.

It was also a point of circumstances. I just happen to live in Czech republic and follow Czech football. I also knew a fair bit about Vaclav's career before he came to Saints. Based  on that I thought it might interest people to hear that our current/ex GK has improved massively since he came to  us. I also aired MY OPINION that for a player to be regarded as one of our best there has to be longevity and some success for me. I stress this is ONLY my opinion, if you don't like it, it's fine.

Taking all that into account, why not bring it up?????

It was brought up knowing it would get a reaction as Antrin has said. That's a point I'm making (which is every bit as allowed as your post was), when you know you're going to post something controversial, you know there will be backlash. If you can't handle that backlash and start fighting with everyone over it, and don't like people questioning you bringing it up, why bring it up?

It's been well established your point (with some back-peddling and more detailed clarification). You'll not convince many posters that Hladky is in fact only average because of what he did a few years back as a largely second string goalkeeper in the Czech Republic, it simply wont happen. He's been a fantastic signing for us, we're coming to a time when quite a lot of people are pretty sad that we likely wont see him again & didn't get the chance to give him a proper send off so yes, I also question why this sort of thing would get posted. To clarify I'm not saying you shouldn't, anyone can post what they want. 

You and Antrin can think the insight pre St Mirren is useful in concluding Hladky is not as good as Sammy, is only an average player and can easily be replaced, that's fine. Others disagree... Or maybe Antrin doesn't actually agree with you on any of that and just wants to argue with me? Word.  

On 5/22/2020 at 3:15 PM, Prague Buddie said:

He has certainly upped his game since he went to Paisley and over the last year and a half he has performed at an exceptional level. But, I also saw his career before Paisley and it was nothing worth mentioning. 

I am perhaps being a little unfair by judging him over the last 5 years as opposed to just his time at Saints. 

Bazil... if you CAN read and you CAN understand words, you’ll notice in the above post, that Prague decently acknowledges Hladky has upped his game since arriving in Scotland.

And he also generously concedes a different slant can be put on his perspective, if he so wishes.

That was last month.  Nearly a fortnight ago.

He is allowed his opinion on a forum. He clearly expressed it.  He also allows other’s opinions.
(You could learn from that....)

what more do you need to make you stop barking up the wrong tree with someone else’s dug?  

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

It was brought up knowing it would get a reaction as Antrin has said. That's a point I'm making (which is every bit as allowed as your post was), when you know you're going to post something controversial, you know there will be backlash. If you can't handle that backlash and start fighting with everyone over it, and don't like people questioning you bringing it up, why bring it up?

It's been well established your point (with some back-peddling and more detailed clarification). You'll not convince many posters that Hladky is in fact only average because of what he did a few years back as a largely second string goalkeeper in the Czech Republic, it simply wont happen. He's been a fantastic signing for us, we're coming to a time when quite a lot of people are pretty sad that we likely wont see him again & didn't get the chance to give him a proper send off so yes, I also question why this sort of thing would get posted. To clarify I'm not saying you shouldn't, anyone can post what they want. 

You and Antrin can think the insight pre St Mirren is useful in concluding Hladky is not as good as Sammy, is only an average player and can easily be replaced, that's fine. Others disagree... Or maybe Antrin doesn't actually agree with you on any of that and just wants to argue with me? Word.  

Where did I say I rate him as average? I said he is a 'DECENT' keeper

I said he was average at Liberec. 

7 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Where did I say I rate him as average? I said he is a 'DECENT' keeper

I said he was average at Liberec. 

"Longevity is key in football. If you only judge Hladky on his short time with Saints then yes he has performed to a VERY high standard. But if you judge him on his whole career as I have done, then it is bang average."

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Where’s the “pot, kettle, black” emoticon when it’s urgently needed?

I would expect anyone to call me out when being pedantic. It doesn't happen very often and is usually to highlight where someone else is doing it. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

"Longevity is key in football. If you only judge Hladky on his short time with Saints then yes he has performed to a VERY high standard. But if you judge him on his whole career as I have done, then it is bang average."

I’m guessing that is a Prague quote?

it makes sense.

In 30 years or so, if Hladky has had a long career in the game then his performances will In all probability drop off.

Quality seen in his St Mirren stint will not be sustained... unless he becomes a superstar after leaving Paisley.

So... bazil...   do you think our Vaclav will defy all odds?

14 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Let me ask you another question, if I can.

Do you only rate Victor Munoz on his time at St Mirren or do you also take into account his time at Barca?

It would depend at what point of his career I was assessing him at, exact same with Hladky.

Right now I rate him very highly, difficult to replace, better than Craig Samson and a quality keeper because of what he's done in his last season and a bit. If he went somewhere else, flopped, couldn't get in a team with his form drastically dipping, it would change.

If I had watched him over the same period as you, my current opinion on him would be the exact same given the much more recent and complete data we both would have. If you had asked me to rate him in January 2019 after signing, I would have probably had a bit of a meh opinion of him (given what you've said) that would have changed throughout the remainder of that season and then continued to grow this season as he has shown consistency. 

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

I’m guessing that is a Prague quote?

it makes sense.

In 30 years or so, if Hladky has had a long career in the game then his performances will In all probability drop off.

Quality seen in his St Mirren stint will not be sustained... unless he becomes a superstar after leaving Paisley.
So... bazil...   do you think our Vaclav will defy all odds?

It was a Prague quote, he had claimed he hadn't called him average so I showed that he had.  As for the rest of your post, I'm talking about the view of Hladky now. He's a superb goalkeeper and has done enough over the last season and a half to merit his reputation. At no time have I or anyone else said that will guarantee to play-out over the remainder of his career. He might do but it's nothing I would see benefit in make a prediction on. 

Prague made three points

- Not as good as Sammy 

- Only a decent (average) player

- not difficult to replace

He concluded that over the last five odd seasons. My view is 

- better than Sammy 

- A fantastic player 

- Very difficult to replace

I base that over his time at St Mirren where he has hardly missed a game, which I think makes far more sense than using his former club where he never got much of a chance to hold down a first team spot. You and Prague don't need to agree with my conclusion and how I've arrived at it (most do on this post) but you'll not change it. I don't intend to change your views either, that him bench-warming is a great parameter for how good he is. I'm only pointing out why I disagree with it.