Welcome Vaclav Hladky

17 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

That is at best harsh, at worst completely inaccurate. It doesn't suggest to me you're basing your opinion over five years, seems barely over five minutes. 

OK, let me put it another way for you. 

The point I am trying to make is that Hladky has certainly saved the best of his career for us. Before us, he did absolutely zero, hence why we were able to get him in the first place.

I know you and everyone else are basing your opinion on the last year and a half (for obvious reasons), but I knew him before he came to Saints and he did absolute nothing of note in his career. This is why I only rate him as 'decent'. Performing exceptionally for a year and a half of your career doesn't make you exceptional in my opinion. If I had only known him for this year and a half, I would have the same opinion as everyone else no doubt. 

A question for you regarding Liberec fans being surprised..... If you heard that Lyness or any of the other 2nd choice keepers had gone to Liberec and in a year and a half was being touted as a one of the best keepers in the clubs history, wouldn't you be a wee bit surprised? 

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Sammy better than Vaclav, and they say the virus is on the decline ! Country mile better than Samson, just cannot see why anyone would come to the conclusion that Samson was better !

Mainly because you only have memories of the 'St Mirren' Vaclav. 

I saw him plenty times before and he was bang average during that period. 

Do you think he was performing like this in the Czech league???? If he was, he wouldn't be with us. 

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

The point I am trying to make is that Hladky has certainly saved the best of his career for us. Before us, he did absolutely zero, hence why we were able to get him in the first place.

I know you and everyone else are basing your opinion on the last year and a half (for obvious reasons), but I knew him before he came to Saints and he did absolute nothing of note in his career. This is why I only rate him as 'decent'. Performing exceptionally for a year and a half of your career doesn't make you exceptional in my opinion. If I had only known him for this year and a half, I would have the same opinion as everyone else no doubt. 

A question for you regarding Liberec fans being surprised..... If you heard that Lyness or any of the other 2nd choice keepers had gone to Liberec and in a year and a half was being touted as a one of the best keepers in the clubs history, wouldn't you be a wee bit surprised? 

That’s much clearer, if you had written that in the first place & not put the stuff about only being based on a penalty shootout it would have been fine. That comment suggests he hasn’t done enough over the time  he’s been here to get the praise he gets. That’s categorically not true, he’s been a revelation & that seems a near universal view from any St Mirren fan that’s given it. In fact I believe you’re the only exception I’ve seen. 

I wouldn’t be surprised no, I haven’t seen enough of Lynness, as our number two to be ‘surprised’ if he turned out to be a great keeper. In fact the few chances he has had + watching him in the challenge cup games, I would go as far to say, I think he can cut it at a decent level. 

13 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

That’s much clearer, if you had written that in the first place & not put the stuff about only being based on a penalty shootout it would have been fine. That comment suggests he hasn’t done enough over the time  he’s been here to get the praise he gets. That’s categorically not true, he’s been a revelation & that seems a near universal view from any St Mirren fan that’s given it. In fact I believe you’re the only exception I’ve seen. 

I wouldn’t be surprised no, I haven’t seen enough of Lynness, as our number two to be ‘surprised’ if he turned out to be a great keeper. In fact the few chances he has had + watching him in the challenge cup games, I would go as far to say, I think he can cut it at a decent level. 

I am also 'probably' the exception who knew of him/seen him play before he came. 

19 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

OK, what about a no. 2 who you have seen and thought was average (as the Slovan Liberec thought of Hladky) ? 

26 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

OK, what about a no. 2 who you have seen and thought was average (as the Slovan Liberec thought of Hladky) ? 

You couldn’t have seen much of him, seemed he played very little in a number of games in his time there. But yes if it was a player I didn’t rate & he went on to me a massive success I would. Say if King or Kpekawa went on for example. 

Your initial post made clear points I disagreed with, as have other posters & I would imagine a vast majority of SMFC fans.

I would also say it’s very harsh to say someone that’s been consistently brilliant for 18 months is average based on more often or not sitting on a bench 2 - 5 years ago. You also seem to be contradictory. Basing his good performance off a penalty shoot out & your take he’s average over five years. 

44 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I am also 'probably' the exception who knew of him/seen him play before he came. 

What period were you judging Sammy as better over? 

You also make a comment that Hladky ‘has been decent but nothing special’ to me that suggests your view on him at St Mirren not previously.

Surely you agree it’s not clear to SMFC fans you’re judging him on what he did primarily in his previous teams reserves? How would anyone know that comment was because you’ve watched him at a previous club? 

You’re also giving a view he can be easily replaced based on what he did over two years ago. That’s madness, it makes much more sense to base the quality we need to replace on his consistent brilliant performances over 18 months. Do you think Salah could be easily replaced because he didn’t quite cut it at Chelsea four years ago? 

Edited by bazil85

1 minute ago, bazil85 said:

You couldn’t have seen much of him, seemed he played very little in a number of games in his time there. But yes if it was a player I didn’t rate & he went on to me a massive success I would. Say if King or Kpekawa went on for example. 

Your initial post made clear points I disagreed with, as have other posters & I would imagine a vast majority of SMFC fans.

I would also say it’s very harsh to say someone that’s been consistently brilliant for 18 months is average based on more often or not sitting on a bench 2 - 5 years ago. You also seem to be contradictory. Basing his good performance off a penalty shoot out & your take he’s average over five years. 

You certainly know how to twist words. 

I said he was average at Liberec.  He has been exceptional for us. ......... And I said he is "decent" overall. 

My 'decent' opinion comes from having seen him over a 5 year period. 

He played around 30 times for Liberec over a 4 year period, which was plenty time to prove himself there

1 minute ago, Prague Buddie said:

You certainly know how to twist words. 

I said he was average at Liberec.  He has been exceptional for us. ......... And I said he is "decent" overall. 

My 'decent' opinion comes from having seen him over a 5 year period. 

He played around 30 times for Liberec over a 4 year period, which was plenty time to prove himself there

You didn’t originally, here’s your original message on this point. 

- ‘decent but nothing special’ no mention of previous club. 

-that’s not clear 

- still very harsh to use that to make an overall conclusion given how consistent he’s been here  

As I have said, if you had been as clear as you’ve went on to be fine, no issue  there’s plenty of assumptions that someone would have to make from your original post & IMO you’ve back peddled  

B6609B63-11CB-4EBA-9F21-83C24922B599.png

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You didn’t originally, here’s your original message on this point. 

- ‘decent but nothing special’ no mention of previous club. 

-that’s not clear 

- still very harsh to use that to make an overall conclusion given how consistent he’s been here  

As I have said, if you had been as clear as you’ve went on to be fine, no issue  there’s plenty of assumptions that someone would have to make from your original post & IMO you’ve back peddled  

B6609B63-11CB-4EBA-9F21-83C24922B599.png

I apologise I will spend a few hours wording my post precisely to cover all angles next time. 

1 minute ago, Prague Buddie said:

I think it is time to draw a line in the sand. 

I have my opinion and you have yours. I prefer to judge players on longevity. That is why I would put a lot of our past GK's ahead of him.  

Yep fair enough. My advise would be to make that far more clearer. 
- penalty shootout 

- comparison to Sammy

- no mention of your view from watching him at his previous club 

- comments like ‘Hladky has been decent’ with no mention that’s an average over a five year period 

All is greatly contradictory/ misleading to the point you’ve went on to try and make. 

7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yep fair enough. My advise would be to make that far more clearer. 
- penalty shootout 

- comparison to Sammy

- no mention of your view from watching him at his previous club 

- comments like ‘Hladky has been decent’ with no mention that’s an average over a five year period 

All is greatly contradictory/ misleading to the point you’ve went on to try and make. 

I did go on to fully explain myself, but you preferred to pick apart my original post even after I explained my reasons. 

Nevermind! 

6 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I did go on to fully explain myself, but you preferred to pick apart my original post even after I explained my reasons. 

Nevermind! 

You see, he sucks you into a mindless exchange that only he knows, seemingly where he's going.

He does it with as many that are willing to make the mistake by trying to reason with him, 

He also has no ability to grasp the jist of a post, preferring to, as you say, pick on every word.

All in all, a lesson learned, best to ignore him. :thumbsdown

Do you think he was performing like this in the Czech league???? If he was, he wouldn't be with us. 
I'm only interested in the St Mirren Vaclav just like I was only interested in the St Mirren Samson. I couldn't care less about their performances for anyone else. Vaclav is a better St Mirren keeper than Samson was.

I take your point... But players are judged on what they are doing or what they can achieve.

What was your opinion, for example, on Aaron Mooy? Great cyclist?

I don't think many Saints fans saw him as a top Premiership player and Internationalist.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Prague Buddie said:

I know I am going to get shot to pieces for this, but I think Craig Samson was better. 

Yes, Hladky has been decent, but nothing special. He seems to have acquired legendary status based on the penalty shootout in the playoff. 

I live in Czech Rep and when I speak to people here who support his former club Liberec, they are genuinely stunned when I tell them how much Saints fans love him.  He spent most of his time in CZ as a number two. 

My opinion is that he is definitely decent, but not somebody who cannot be replaced easily. 

FWIW, PB - I fully understood the thrust of your post and don't understand - apart from it being a closed season amid a boring pandemic - how so many could dredge up a couple of pages of forum fault with it.  You were speaking from undeniably good practical experience, I thought.

I would dispute your unnecessarily cluttered double negative of "not somebody who cannot be replaced easily", as I think he HAS been an exceptionally good goalie with Saints (Mibbe no as good as Jimmy Brown, Big Boots to fill...). Saints would miss Hladky, but Saints will go on, as ever.

Word.  :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Nevermind! 

Faraway's right Prague Buddie ignore him. You have more chance of converting Al Qaeda to Christianity than winning a debate with oor Bazil 

Edited by portmahomack saint

2 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

You'd struggle to get many fans from the teams that Samson played for, out with ourselves, who could even bring themselves to describe him at that level.

There's a thread on P&B devoted to club's worst 'keepers, and Samson features rather prominently in a lot of poster's selections.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and I can see where you are coming from, but not one Scottish supporter who has seen both Hladky playing for us and Samson over his entire career, would pick the latter over the former in terms of goalkeeping ability.