St Mirren v Dundee United Cup Game

St.Ricky

3 hours ago, paul torfason said:

Time for Jackson to take seat on bench,just does nothing for me...a no the duck was rubbish against well but put him up front with Mullen,even though am not his biggest fan,for a club that has always been blessed with good and great strikers over the years we surely are bottom of the barrel now with Jackson Mullen Cooke... Desperate times, desperate measures and all that crap

Jackson is fit and runs a lot but has absolutley no football brain whatsoever. He never ever anticipates where the ball will go or tries to make runs where the ball will end up, he has no instinct at all. He just runs at ball or watches it chasing it about. A terrible example for a forward upfront....

16 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

On the face of it yes, but in reality United are a sleeping giant throwing good money after bad for any kind of success.

They have a far better squad than us IMO and certainly a better manager.

After the way we were set up to start against Well on Wednesday I am absolutely dreading 3pm on Saturday...:unsure:

If i were dreaded something i didn't need to go to i certainly wouldnt be going...strange statement to make...

7 hours ago, paul torfason said:

Time for Jackson to take seat on bench,just does nothing for me...a no the duck was rubbish against well but put him up front with Mullen,even though am not his biggest fan,for a club that has always been blessed with good and great strikers over the years we surely are bottom of the barrel now with Jackson Mullen Cooke... Desperate times, desperate measures and all that crap

I think that Jackson and Mullen will both get game time alongside Ducken. Will Jack Baird play? If he does, does he partner Popescu? 

Edited by St.Ricky

Thought for the day!

with all the doom and gloom surrounding this game thats even got Oran calling Utd as favourites... wont it just be proper St Mirren to win by two clear goals, in a game without incident, or us under threat..?

anyway here's a snap of Oran attempting yet another inappropriate High Five... man's got form for this!

IMG_1761.JPG

Meanwhile back to the game.  Gale force winds and rain forecast. Will I go?  Of course I will.  Ticket bought and raring to go.  

One end full of Arabs with Paisley's finest in the other three stands.  This is what I call football,  win,  lose or draw. 

Drama and excitement.  Exileration and excitement for some and disappointment for others. 

But.. Might take a replay to separate us. 

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I think that Jackson and Mullen will both get game time alongside Ducken. Will Jack Baird play? If he does, does he partner Popescu? 

Reasonable questions and thoughts.

1. I also Think Jackson, Mullen and the Duck will get game time - 2 out of 3 on at the start and one subbed for the 3rd at some point in the match.

2. Will Baird play? Depends on how fit Ferdinand is and how he and Oran handle the discussion about him coming off tactically. I suspect Jack will apologise and state that he was fit and in good spirits having just re-signed for 2 years and all of a sudden he was off when he has been reliable for weeks on end, while others were unfit (Ferdinand)

The manager will say he understands and wants Jack to be disappointed if he is not playing, but cannot condone disrespect. Jack will accept this and pledge his undying allegiance going forward. 

Then lastly - depends on what format Oran plays against UTD - 5 or 4 at the back - my feeling is he better make sure he knows how Utd are lining up - so that we don't sell the jerseys in the 1st 20 minutes like we did against Well.

Popescu is a cert so long as he is fit - he looks to be a very good CB indeed. (To think we let Alfie Jones go for what - Oh Aye for Popescu - excellent business)

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Saint Tony is a good man to have on our side DJ. Our secret weapon. I think TF has always benefited from being underestimated. 

He is a good man, and a nice guy, however- he has to stop spouting such rubbish. Its not the 80s ....................... we dont play in Europe or hold our own against top teams. If we seet realistic expectations then we can overachieve............... still think he should have been shot down for saying we would be champs of Prem this year. Just makes us a laughing stock

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

He is a good man, and a nice guy, however- he has to stop spouting such rubbish. Its not the 80s ....................... we dont play in Europe or hold our own against top teams. If we seet realistic expectations then we can overachieve............... still think he should have been shot down for saying we would be champs of Prem this year. Just makes us a laughing stock

He does get a little carried away!

18 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

A bold claim and a positive one - would you be so kind as to elaborate why? :cheers

The new players starting to get to know their team mates

Big Dundee United support through, we'll want to get one over them....

Cup game so worrying about the league goes out the window

Dundee United's full backs got ripped apart by Ayr, I fancy McAllister to rip them a new one, assuming he starts 

58 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Tony loves the club and if he wants to talk us up then go for it. His comments are a bit over the top but it is far better than the usual negative stuff on here.  

Totally agree, we will finish 10th, maybe 8th  win the Scottish Cup, then the Europa League and win the League next year.................... its just all good :P

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Reasonable questions and thoughts.

1. I also Think Jackson, Mullen and the Duck will get game time - 2 out of 3 on at the start and one subbed for the 3rd at some point in the match.

2. Will Baird play? Depends on how fit Ferdinand is and how he and Oran handle the discussion about him coming off tactically. I suspect Jack will apologise and state that he was fit and in good spirits having just re-signed for 2 years and all of a sudden he was off when he has been reliable for weeks on end, while others were unfit (Ferdinand)

The manager will say he understands and wants Jack to be disappointed if he is not playing, but cannot condone disrespect. Jack will accept this and pledge his undying allegiance going forward. 

Then lastly - depends on what format Oran plays against UTD - 5 or 4 at the back - my feeling is he better make sure he knows how Utd are lining up - so that we don't sell the jerseys in the 1st 20 minutes like we did against Well.

Popescu is a cert so long as he is fit - he looks to be a very good CB indeed. (To think we let Alfie Jones go for what - Oh Aye for Popescu - excellent business)

Agree with most of what you say, but I was told that the club wanted to keep Jones to play infront of Popescu and Baird and be cover should one get injured or suspended,  The thought was Anton was leaving, but in any case Southampton pulled the plug on the loan,

Edited by Iamhammer

20 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

Agree with most of what you say, but I was told that the club wanted to keep Jones to play infront of Popescu and Baird and be cover should one get injured or suspended,  The thought was Anton was leaving, but in any case Southampton pulled the plug on the loan,

Depends who told you and how much they actually knew - same for me too.

I heard that he was on decent money, more than Popescu is now on - and although we heard he played midfield, that never happened - so why, not even once?

I am not sure if it was as simple as Southampton cancelled the loan, but that is just my opinion... 

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

The new players starting to get to know their team mates

Big Dundee United support through, we'll want to get one over them....

Cup game so worrying about the league goes out the window

Dundee United's full backs got ripped apart by Ayr, I fancy McAllister to rip them a new one, assuming he starts 

I like your thinking -  a lot.

They are in at least as much a transition as we are at this time and I do not believe they have signed many better players than we have.

I think your 3rd line is the big factor - this is freedom to really have a go with less fear.

Hope McAllister starts and rips them open like you say - I think Dreyer will too - just hope whoever is in the middle is clinical . . .  :turtle