St Mirren v Dundee United Cup Game

St.Ricky

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Depends who told you and how much they actually knew - same for me too.

I heard that he was on decent money, more than Popescu is now on - and although we heard he played midfield, that never happened - so why, not even once?

I am not sure if it was as simple as Southampton cancelled the loan, but that is just my opinion... 

I think the new manager at Southampton called back all of the loan players to have a look at them.

He seems to have liked what he saw with Jones and has kept him there.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

I think the new manager at Southampton called back all of the loan players to have a look at them.

He seems to have liked what he saw with Jones and has kept him there.

I know that is the party line - my suspicion is we were sending him back as Popescu was inbound and freeing up wages as well as an improvement in C Defence...

From a Southampton point of view, it certainly sounds better to say they recalled him and they had seen him progress - he certainly did too. :bounce2

So almost everyone is happy then . . . 

Boost for Dundee United as St Mirren skipper McGinn ruled out.

Posted as a Link by Eastland Saint

by Reporter
 February 8, 2019, 12:37 pm
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Stephen McGinn competes with Paul McMullan in August 2017

St Mirren captain Stephen McGinn is set to miss Saturday’s Scottish Cup last-16 clash with Dundee United.

The 30-year-old went off with a hamstring injury as the Buddies fell three points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership with a 2-1 defeat to Motherwell on Wednesday night.

“We checked him out and the hamstring is still quite sore,” boss Oran Kearney said. “It’s early days. I think we got him off the pitch early enough, which is a positive but it will probably be a few days before we know the extent.”

Meanwhile, Kearney feels defender Jack Baird now understands the substitution which left him “raging” after he was hooked 22 minutes into the ’Well game in a tactical switch for Kyle McAllister.

Kearney said: “We had a good chat and he is fully understanding and fully accepting of why it happened.”

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Boost for Dundee United as St Mirren skipper McGinn ruled out

by Reporter
 February 8, 2019, 12:37 pm
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

St Mirren captain Stephen McGinn is set to miss Saturday’s Scottish Cup last-16 clash with Dundee United.

The 30-year-old went off with a hamstring injury as the Buddies fell three points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership with a 2-1 defeat to Motherwell on Wednesday night.

“We checked him out and the hamstring is still quite sore,” boss Oran Kearney said. “It’s early days. I think we got him off the pitch early enough, which is a positive but it will probably be a few days before we know the extent.”

Meanwhile, Kearney feels defender Jack Baird now understands the substitution which left him “raging” after he was hooked 22 minutes into the ’Well game in a tactical switch for Kyle McAllister.

Kearney said: “We had a good chat and he is fully understanding and fully accepting of why it happened.”

NOW then - all the fans who don't rate Stephen McGinn will get to see how we cope without him tomorrow (if the above is true and he does not recover on time)

Also the Baird issue - standard common sense communications and there should be no repeat tantrums - the manager is the one who has to make these kind of decisions.

So who is playing for us in the middle of the park and in the 1st 11 ?   IS MacPherson fully fit now? Will Erhahon get a start in CM? Tansey almost certainly but who else?  :magic

ST MIRREN V DUNDEE UNITED - Over 1300 tickets have already been purchased for the visit to The Simple Digital Arena. With fewer than 200 tickets remaining for the United end, it is looking like a sell-out is on the cards for the United support. Please note  on Thursday, there will only be tickets on sale on the day for United fans should the remaining allocation not sell out. 

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

ST MIRREN V DUNDEE UNITED - Over 1300 tickets have already been purchased for the visit to The Simple Digital Arena. With fewer than 200 tickets remaining for the United end, it is looking like a sell-out is on the cards for the United support. Please note  on Thursday, there will only be tickets on sale on the day for United fans should the remaining allocation not sell out. 

This is actually good for both clubs - more revenue and a better atmosphere in the ground.

Hoping we take more than a good pay-cheque from this though !     :spud7

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Can ayone figure out what that last sentence is trying to say?

18 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Hladky

Corbu Baird Popescu Muzik

McAllister Erhahon Lyons Dreyer

Mullen Nazon

I like the general look of this but cannot see Tansey and Paul McGinn not being in the team from the off - I think it is not defence minded enough - we need to start tight and then attack them with venom . . . 

So Paul at RM in place of McAllister, and Tansey in place of Erhahon for me - then with McAllister and Jackson on later to boost the attack  :ninja

McGinn splits opinion on here, but I think he will be a big miss tomorrow. He completely changed the game when he came on against Dundee at Dens. Agree he could track back better, but he does bring composure and a bit of experience. Sometimes you don’t appreciate things until they’re not there or replaced by a lesser player. Hope the weather doesn’t ruin it tomorrow, unless it’s in our favour of course.

51 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Oh FFS.

Before Stephen McGinn came back to the club, our captain was Andy Webster.

I'll just leave that here for you to ponder.

Said at end of last season McGinn was not the player to lead us in premier league, not near the level required for premiership...decent 1st division player but that's his level....has did zero this season to convince me otherwise...

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

NOW then - all the fans who don't rate Stephen McGinn will get to see how we cope without him tomorrow (if the above is true and he does not recover on time)

Also the Baird issue - standard common sense communications and there should be no repeat tantrums - the manager is the one who has to make these kind of decisions.

So who is playing for us in the middle of the park and in the 1st 11 ?   IS MacPherson fully fit now? Will Erhahon get a start in CM? Tansey almost certainly but who else?  :magic

Not getting the "how will we cope without him bit" we get pumped nearly every week with him so what is the difference?

1 minute ago, gstretchuk said:

Said at end of last season McGinn was not the player to lead us in premier league, not near the level required for premiership...decent 1st division player but that's his level....has did zero this season to convince me otherwise...

Go on then what are your qualifications for holding this opinion then? Years of playing at this level or higher OR just are you just an opinionated taxi driver?  :headbang

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Go on then what are your qualifications for holding this opinion then? Years of playing at this level or higher OR just are you just an opinionated taxi driver?  :headbang

Think you are becoming a bit obsessed with me, its worrying.....forgot you cannot upset the "McGinn fanboys" on here...i await your witty reply because being the sad individual you are you will not be able to help yourself,  go on make a witty remark or something...hurry up....clown...

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I like the general look of this but cannot see Tansey and Paul McGinn not being in the team from the off - I think it is not defence minded enough - we need to start tight and then attack them with venom . . . 

So Paul at RM in place of McAllister, and Tansey in place of Erhahon for me - then with McAllister and Jackson on later to boost the attack  :ninja

I would be happier with that. I know Tansey hasn't sparkled yet. This might be the game.

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

We're the Premiership club, and we're at home. We need to set out believing we are going to pump them