St Mirren v Dundee United Cup Game

St.Ricky

14 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Better tell that to Jim McIntyre. Stop making excuses 

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

ffs Oran has a load of new players you can't find your right formation on 1 or 2 games. 

Dundee had a similar player turnover to stmirren during the transfer window. They beat hearts away, drew at home to Kilmarnock and got a point away to Hamilton. We picked up no points during the same period. How did they manage with formation? My guess is they weren’t to concerned and just focused on making it difficult for teams to have space and time on the ball in the final third. Granted we were away to the old firm during this period, however you can still make it difficult for them to score. I stand by my original point, there is no point making excuses. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT
Added new information

35 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Maybe we will mate, however, his salary IMO would have been better spent on the squad, specifically the midfield hard man we’ve needed for a loooong time now.

In terms of the DOF role in general, I thought the idea was that you bring players in that will fit the style the club want to play therefore mitigating the impact of a new manager every couple of seasons. What are we trying to achieve with this current group? The personnel and formations/tactics seem to change every game and then very quickly in-game when we realise it’s another clusterf**k.

Hard to see the light at the end of this particular tunnel right now.emoji19.png

Disagree with your first paragraph, this situation needed sorting and needed a full time employee overseeing it. The salary was there for a midfield hard man as well, it unfortunately has been wasted on Tansey. Although, that's the exact type of thing the DoF is supposed to stop happening!

Broadly agree with the points in your second paragraph, but OK constantly tinkering with the team isn't something for Gus to fix.

Few things from yesterday.

Baird is shite at fault for both goals because he seems incapable of basic defending which is to read the flight of a ball and head it but cool let’s give him a new deal.

Don’t know why Kearney states his favoured formation is 4-4-2 yet seems to tinker with other systems. Even though we’ve actually been better when we’ve switched to two banks of 4.

McAllister and Dreyer must both start. Better attacking teams cause we’re not defending as a unit.

Genuinely feel for Hladky and especially Popescu who in my opinion is probably one of the best defenders I’ve seen at the club. They’re getting hung out to dry by those in front of them.

Cammy Macpherson to start from now on because he’s the only midfielder that actually wants to scrap in midfield.

How the f**k was Paul McGinn not sent off?

Histrionics aside, yesterday we missed S McGinn. I know he hasnt been as dominant, and effective as last season. Mainly due imo to the better quality of player, and more organised teams we are up against this season. But he knows his job in midfield and sticks to it, pulling the strings, playing the passes, recycling possesion.

i know Tansey is the new boo boys fav, and he hasnt helped his case thus far, but neither imo has Lyons, who maybe because he used to be Oran's player has thus far avoided the boo boys attention. Yesterday was the third game now that i had actually forgotten he was on the park for the last 15 - 20 minutes. He pops up, on the wing, in attack, in defence basically chasing the ball round the park, and not nailing down a job for ninety minutes.

that leaves us short in midfield, yesterday it was glaring how many times especially in the first half that Utd just waltzed through the middle, indeed only their poor decision making kept it down to two nil first half. A midfield with Tansey not firing, Flynn fading in and out the game and Lyons running round trying to play every position was always a recipe for disaster.

McPhearson the only one who showed some steel. Our defence, for the most part looked the most solid in a while, Popescu and Musek gelled with P Mcginn and Bairdy" but when your midfield offers so little in holding, and controlling play you get over run in the middle, and that was exactly how it panned out.

Dreyer hasnt justified his inclusions yet, the Duck was good for the first few moves in the first half, disappeared, then came back second half. hladky is a decent keeper, but sold himself when Baird got done for the second goal.

if Oran could get the midfield to each stick to a job like McPhearson yesterday, then perhaps we could get results?

2 hours ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Few things from yesterday.

Baird is shite at fault for both goals because he seems incapable of basic defending which is to read the flight of a ball and head it but cool let’s give him a new deal.

Don’t know why Kearney states his favoured formation is 4-4-2 yet seems to tinker with other systems. Even though we’ve actually been better when we’ve switched to two banks of 4.

McAllister and Dreyer must both start. Better attacking teams cause we’re not defending as a unit.

Genuinely feel for Hladky and especially Popescu who in my opinion is probably one of the best defenders I’ve seen at the club. They’re getting hung out to dry by those in front of them.

Cammy Macpherson to start from now on because he’s the only midfielder that actually wants to scrap in midfield.

How the f**k was Paul McGinn not sent off?

1st Goal - Their R. Winger gets a cross in without a challenge after we give the ball away just outside their penalty area.

Have a look on the BBC highlights and Baird has 2 men standing on the 6 yard box to mark 5 yards apart - so where was ??? who should have been marking the other and Bairdy would not have had to split his thoughts between 2 players? P. McGinn marking no one for the 1st header and when he got back in for the shot - he is the nearest to the No. 14 who gets the goal without a challenge - -   Popescu is not marking anyone during this sequence either (Though he did have a good game) But it's not like you don't always blame Bairdy  right?

I will grant you that he is culpable for the 2nd one - it was a good pass (although yet again there was no/a poor attempt at a challenge from a Saints player to prevent it) over Baird's head and Clark takes it brilliantly - but again Popescu does not cover him as a good sweeper would . . .

But as usual you do not notice any of the mundane essential other stuff he does in every game . . . you must be smarter than all our managers who keep playing him and keep signing him - longest servant we've got despite a long list of carnage/attrition  - our professionals must be less competent than you ? ? 

PS Bairdy is not any more to blame for this result than the other 13 who are supposed to be a team - maybe except Hladky who definitely was our best player by far. Dreyer was non existent; others including Popescu missed good opportunities.

I agree fully with you that Cammy was fab and staking a very strong claim for a start if/when he is fit - he is just back and couldn't go the distance yesterday and McGinn should definitely have been sent off..   

16 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

kettle black calling

We should get a manager in that already rejected us because with our budget the demands were unrealistic

What’s your long term revival give him about 5 games after a transfer window.

Then jack Ross was to reject Sunderland for St Mirren

And you call the board delusional.

You have me completely baffled

6 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Can’t believe McGinn stayed on the park. The ref was 10 yards away and had an unobstructed view. Shocking challenge, shite refereeing .

That's for another thread. Refs now can't officiate for fcuking toffee, but it's not just the preserve of Scottish fitba, seen a load of English games with shite referees- but how some of these chinless wonders get a FIFA badge is anyone's guess. Must be an offer when you send in 10 coupons from boxes of Coco pops 

8 hours ago, Kemp said:

A lot of people seem very happy with the majority of our new players (as individuals). I'd say the jury remains out on MacPherson. He was brought in to solve a particular problem in terms of the quality of players being signed, perhaps he has done that. We will see soon enough.

I think those who disliked Gus beforehand are looking for any reason to hound him out again.

He’s had one transfer window, during the tougher part of the season when there are few going for free (hence the loans). Hladky, Popescu and Muzek look better than what we have, and Nazon looks like a decent addition. We certainly look better going forward now as well, at least we are creating chances now.

It would be better to judge Gus after the summer window when more players are available to bring in. Some find it easy to forget he’s the one who brought us players like Dorman, Sutton, Higdon, Haining and Carey. He’s proven himself before in this regard. Unfortunately some out there just can’t see past their dislike for a man who did a fantastic job for us.

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

1st Goal - Their R. Winger gets a cross in without a challenge after we give the ball away just outside their penalty area.

Have a look on the BBC highlights and Baird has 2 men standing on the 6 yard box to mark 5 yards apart - so where was ??? who should have been marking the other and Bairdy would not have had to split his thoughts between 2 players? P. McGinn marking no one for the 1st header and when he got back in for the shot - he is the nearest to the No. 14 who gets the goal without a challenge - -   Popescu is not marking anyone during this sequence either (Though he did have a good game) But it's not like you don't always blame Bairdy  right?

I will grant you that he is culpable for the 2nd one - it was a good pass (although yet again there was no/a poor attempt at a challenge from a Saints player to prevent it) over Baird's head and Clark takes it brilliantly - but again Popescu does not cover him as a good sweeper would . . .

But as usual you do not notice any of the mundane essential other stuff he does in every game . . . you must be smarter than all our managers who keep playing him and keep signing him - longest servant we've got despite a long list of carnage/attrition  - our professionals must be less competent than you ? ? 

PS Bairdy is not any more to blame for this result than the other 13 who are supposed to be a team - maybe except Hladky who definitely was our best player by far. Dreyer was non existent; others including Popescu missed good opportunities.

I agree fully with you that Cammy was fab and staking a very strong claim for a start if/when he is fit - he is just back and couldn't go the distance yesterday and McGinn should definitely have been sent off..   

Thats why Popescu should be tried in midfield,  he's not a natural centre half and too good a ball player to play there,  And the dynamo fans told us that, they said he's good with ball going forward,  he can tackle has decent pace and is good on the ball, i reckon he could play the holding Midfield player we've been crying out for, think Oran missed a opportunity to try him there yesterday, the league is far more important than the cup is this season now, 

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've suggested that very thing a couple of times and it's been met with some resistance. 

Not from me. Have no clue why he has this position. Also have no clue why Nicholl is there. Looks like Rice is the one that got away. Our Chairman seems to have no clue who to keep or recruit. Looks like he got lucky with Jack rather inspired choice

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Different week, same post match interview. "Got to play for 90 mins, unlucky, players need time to gel" etc..etc... 

one question... how come Dundee Utd with as many new faces can 'gel' and we seem to need a season or two to "Gel"?

They didn't against Ayr recently - Dee who similarly changed 10 lost 3  v 0 to QOS

Don't paint it one way and ignore all the data that does not suit your argument - that is very biased indeed . . . :hammer

3 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Thats why Popescu should be tried in midfield,  he's not a natural centre half and too good a ball player to play there,  And the dynamo fans told us that, they said he's good with ball going forward,  he can tackle has decent pace and is good on the ball, i reckon he could play the holding Midfield player we've been crying out for, think Oran missed a opportunity to try him there yesterday, the league is far more important than the cup is this season now, 

I cannot judge if he would be any good in midfield - some folk can play various roles - I played R & L FB, CH, Sweeper and R & L M at times - but I was naturally more defensive always.

The major flaw in this plan for now is we only have 2 fit CB's - both Ferd and MacK are injured.

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

I reckon the big chap would have been better up front after Utd went down to 10 men.

I think under the circumstances yesterday that might have been a good call - but we would need to have got the crosses in and done so with better accuracy.

10 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I cannot judge if he would be any good in midfield - some folk can play various roles - I played R & L FB, CH, Sweeper and R & L M at times - but I was naturally more defensive always.

The major flaw in this plan for now is we only have 2 fit CB's - both Ferd and MacK are injured.

I think under the circumstances yesterday that might have been a good call - but we would need to have got the crosses in and done so with better accuracy.

A bugbear of mine. Even when we get a free kick in opposition half we don't get the ball in the box when we have a free hit. They stupidly seem to think that passing to your nearest team mate with all the opposition behind the ball  is the best option. Lunacy.