Welcome Anders Dreyer

Sonny

Only been a few games since his contribution was described as "unacceptable". He reminds me quite a bit of Kenny McLean - retains possession well, and very tidy in linking our forward play.
I'll hold my hand up.
Guilty.

In that one game, I felt there was a player but he lacked effort.
Maybe it was a confidence thing... but in every game since, he has shown more and more, and why Oran kept faith in him.

Always happy when a player gives me a GIRUY response like that!

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Every major chance we created in the highlights package - apart from the third goal - heavily involved Dreyer yesterday.

His passing in the final third opened Livi up on several occasions. Think we are seeing him adapting to this league and hopefully if we stay up, Brighton will give him a full season with us next year to continue developing. There's an absolute gem of a player in there and he's got the ability to pick a hole in most defences.

Hopefully Brighton stay up, or there's every chance he could be given gametime for them in the Championship...

Dreyers showreel showed him with a cracking left foot, scoring goals and delivering killer set pieces. I still don’t think we are seeing that from him. His corners on Saturday were mostly way over hit and he seems reluctant to have a pop when the chance arises.
There is a player there but I think we should be seeing more.

Guest TPAFKATS
Only been a few games since his contribution was described as "unacceptable". He reminds me quite a bit of Kenny McLean - retains possession well, and very tidy in linking our forward play.
Kenny learned he had to add hard work and defending to his game.

Might be interesting to see how many goals he's had a hand in Two against Dundee one against Hamilton and at least one v Livi  That's some return from someone we're not seeing enough from 

Edited by Danny
spelling

39 minutes ago, Danny said:

Might be interesting to see how many goals he's had a hand in Two against Dundee one against Hamilton and at least one v Livi  That's some return from someone we're not seeing enough from 

I think his problem is the promotional video we saw of him looking like a young Brian Laudrup . That said he,s gaining in confidence , seems to be enjoying himself , and he,s doing okay , quite an intelligent player , who I'm sure will only get better .

On 4/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, beyond our ken said:

What he does is avoid costly losing of the ball and as a bonus on that we get to maintain pressure 

a modern footballer in every sense of the word

Just like Gowser at his peak. Ignoring Gowser's off-field issues, we really struggled to replace his ball retention the season we went down. It's invaluable for a team at the wrong end of the table to have a guy who doesn't panic in possession and who can find a bit of space and bring others into play. I'd love to see Dreyer playing that role (for us) next season too.

I will also say this: the emergence of Dreyer and Flynn as actual proper football players under Kearney speaks volumes for his ability to bring players on and improve their confidence. Any fan who says they had high hopes for Flynn four months ago is flat-out lying. Same for Dreyer after a few appearances.

Oran Kearney is the man and must be backed to the hilt as manager of SMFC next season.

26 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Just like Gowser at his peak. Ignoring Gowser's off-field issues, we really struggled to replace his ball retention the season we went down. It's invaluable for a team at the wrong end of the table to have a guy who doesn't panic in possession and who can find a bit of space and bring others into play. I'd love to see Dreyer playing that role (for us) next season too.

I will also say this: the emergence of Dreyer and Flynn as actual proper football players under Kearney speaks volumes for his ability to bring players on and improve their confidence. Any fan who says they had high hopes for Flynn four months ago is flat-out lying. Same for Dreyer after a few appearances.

Oran Kearney is the man and must be backed to the hilt as manager of SMFC next season.

You make some good points. I am not sure we will get Dreyer back for next season though, but like you I would be delighted if we did.

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

We're in a great selection headache position right now across the midfield. P McGinn, Flynn are on the form of their lives with S McGinn & Dreyers really important performances. Mccalister and Maggenis showed what they're capable off and what they add off the bench Saturday.

A welcome relief  

I'm sure this doesn't include Saturday's game because Jackson and Mullen's goal tallies are one short. Therefore add one assist for the Livingston game.

Screenshot_20190423-123759_Chrome.jpeg

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Christ , those stats don’t look good at all. Top scorer 6 !

Isn't that one of the main issues why we are at the wrong end of the table. Also of note is that apart from the obvious top teams, there is a real lack of decent goal scorers at all the lower teams:-

Motherwell are the best in this area but their top is Turnbull (midfielder) on 10  then Hastie (midfielder) on 6 then Danny Johnson on 6

St. Johnstone top scorer is Kennedy on 6

Livi's top scorer is Hardie on 7 then Halkett on 6 then Pitman on 4

Hamilton's top scorer is Mikel Miller on 5

Never mind 4 more games for our top scorers to add to their tallies . . . :D

But top cat says he should be sacked.

55 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Isn't that one of the main issues why we are at the wrong end of the table. Also of note is that apart from the obvious top teams, there is a real lack of decent goal scorers at all the lower teams:-

Motherwell are the best in this area but their top is Turnbull (midfielder) on 10  then Hastie (midfielder) on 6 then Danny Johnson on 6

St. Johnstone top scorer is Kennedy on 6

Livi's top scorer is Hardie on 7 then Halkett on 6 then Pitman on 4

Hamilton's top scorer is Mikel Miller on 5

Never mind 4 more games for our top scorers to add to their tallies . . . :D

These stats are exactly why people shouting for a “goal scorer” need to be realistic - these guys are so hard to come by.

1 hour ago, st jock said:
5 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

But top cat says he should be sacked.

Top Cat talks shite. :clapping

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

These stats are exactly why people shouting for a “goal scorer” need to be realistic - these guys are so hard to come by.

That is one way of looking at it. The other is that we need to grow more or capture better goal scorers when they are younger. It has always been a Scottish Problem.

English League 1 has 12 scorers with 15 or more Championship has 12 with 15 or more  ( 1 with 28, 1 with 25, 1 with 24, 2 with 23, 1 with 22 and 2 with 21

So there is 24 of them at a decent level - our not very high standard league managed just 2 with 15 or more goals in the league this season.  

Wonder why we are donkey's in Europe . . . :magic

I did not paste in all the predictions I made - but my track record is good and was acknowledged so by Spanking _ Panda. I did say :-
1) We would sign a FB who could play at CB too - Mateo has now signed within hours of my prediction. and he can do both these roles
2) I knew the winger was imminent and said so - I also said it was McA NOT Morgan and McAllister was announced a few hours later.
3) I put a line through another's post about a defensive midfielder cause I knew we were signing an attacking midfielder and we very soon after signed Andres - You may argue that he is a winger or a striker but he is definitely not a defensive midfielder. He played an attacking midfield role against Hibs yesterday.
4) When people were trying to figure out the name of A player with the letters, I let folk know that the mistake they were making was assuming that it was for one player. I also said that it was not for Murray and Carey as someone else predicted - and we signed Andres and Mateo shortly after...
5) Way back at the start I said we would offload 12 - 16 players when others were presuming far less (We have currently offloaded 16) - I also said we would bring in far more than the 4 or 5 some were quoting - We are currently at 8 with more to come...
I am sure there are other things too - but hope this is sufficient for you for now - if not you have a trawl yourself    :ninja

Do you really think I read such drivel? [emoji23]

:1eye

We're in a great selection headache position right now across the midfield. P McGinn, Flynn are on the form of their lives with S McGinn & Dreyers really important performances. Mccalister and Maggenis showed what they're capable off and what they add off the bench Saturday.
A welcome relief  

If only we’d signed Liam Smith! [emoji23]

:1eye

You find it too difficult holding back when you keep getting put in the sin bin - so you re-emerge, but the old bile keeps welling up and the hatred spews out to give you away again and again as you stalk those you hate the most. Will you ever get help - it cannot be much fun being you...

Only a matter of time before Div bins you with this alias too...

The main forum is far better without your imbecilic attempts at ALL the attention - better talking to yourself in the Sin bin and save the rest of us . . . but when did you ever do the right thing????   :bounce2:toilet

That is one way of looking at it. The other is that we need to grow more or capture better goal scorers when they are younger. It has always been a Scottish Problem.
English League 1 has 12 scorers with 15 or more Championship has 12 with 15 or more  ( 1 with 28, 1 with 25, 1 with 24, 2 with 23, 1 with 22 and 2 with 21
So there is 24 of them at a decent level - our not very high standard league managed just 2 with 15 or more goals in the league this season.  
Wonder why we are donkey's in Europe . . . :magic
We might well HAVE a scorer in our midst and not realise it.

NO forward can score without service and for most of this season, our forwards have been so isolated, it's no wonder they have struggled.

Higdon was labelled lazy by our support.
Turns out he can score for fun when given the service.

Mehmet was a dud... Forced onto the subs bench by the very same people who went on to idolise him.

More recently, Shankland... I wanted to keep him as I thought he had ability and could have learned from Thommo.

Aye... "Just" Ayr... But he's scoring for fun and now out of our price league!

Many factors combine to make sure that it is far from an exact science.

Tactics. Supply. Confidence. Fitness. Injuries. Ability!

Who's to say that with a confidence boost and the right supply, ANY of our current forwards couldn't raise their game and BE that forward?

We are quick to criticise and slow to support when it comes to players struggling for form... Yet still praise ourselves for our great support!

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

We might well HAVE a scorer in our midst and not realise it.

NO forward can score without service and for most of this season, our forwards have been so isolated, it's no wonder they have struggled.

Higdon was labelled lazy by our support.
Turns out he can score for fun when given the service.

Mehmet was a dud... Forced onto the subs bench by the very same people who went on to idolise him.

More recently, Shankland... I wanted to keep him as I thought he had ability and could have learned from Thommo.

Aye... "Just" Ayr... But he's scoring for fun and now out of our price league!

Many factors combine to make sure that it is far from an exact science.

Tactics. Supply. Confidence. Fitness. Injuries. Ability!

Who's to say that with a confidence boost and the right supply, ANY of our current forwards couldn't raise their game and BE that forward?

We are quick to criticise and slow to support when it comes to players struggling for form... Yet still praise ourselves for our great support!

You make good points. I do think Jackson is a far better player than many give him credit for - but he is the old fashioned forward who would play off a big CF - but Nazon is not the one and Cooke is maybe still on the rise. Mullen is a great trier but I think he does not cut it as a big CF - though he is another option.  This season we have punted it up to mainly smaller guys who were being marked by bigger guys and outnumbered into the bargain..

You are spot on though in the creativity of our midfield and crosses from FB's etc, we have room for improvement there for sure.

The other factor is that we have only been together as the current squad for a few months since the window - so our perspective of where we are at is still a little tainted from the 1st half of the season. I have no doubt we will be in even stronger shape next season...  :magic

Edited by Sweeper07