Stubbs breaks his Silence

NB18

Believe it or not, virtually all the players that they are signing now, we tried to get. Kyle McAllister was one we enquired about, but he was injured.

“We tried to get Lewis Morgan from Celtic and that was virtually done, until Brendan got a few injuries and we were asked to wait.

“There were a number of other ones which were the same.

“Listen, that’s football; sometimes deals fall for you, sometimes they don’t.

A few things he said do ring true. The squad wasn't good enough and the proof of this is who remains. The replacements for those who left is what was damning though. 

What he said might ring true in terms of budget if he didn't spunk upwards of 100k on said budget on Josh f**king Heaton. 

Also, if you know you are working with a budget too small to be comfortable with, why tell the people interviewing that a good manager will make do with the budget he has and maximise it as much as possible? Gives you no comeback to moan about it you f**king halfwit. 

There's something about his interview which doesn't ring true. No hard feelings? No fall outs?

Leave aside his insistence in wrongly claiming he was sacked after 4 games.

He claims he tried to sign "virtually all the players we are signing now" but then only mentions Kyle? Oran has signed 12 players since he arrived. Which of the others is he seriously claiming he tried to sign? Anton? Lyness? Hammill? Jackson? The group of guys from Eastern Europe? I don't buy any of that. Apart from anything else, he is, by definition, indirectly claiming Gus has done virtually nothing since he got in.

Then you add Sutton's comments about snakes behind the scenes.

Nah this bollocks is designed to get him in the shop window for the Hibs vacancy.

Edited by oaksoft

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There's something about his interview which doesn't ring true. No hard feelings? No fall outs?

He claims he tried to sign "virtually all the players we are signing now" but then only mentions Kyle? Oran has signed 12 players since he arrived. Which of the others is he seriously claiming he tried to sign? Anton? Lyness? Hammill? Jackson? The group of guys from Eastern Europe? I don't buy any of that. Apart from anything else, he is, by definition, indirectly claiming Gus has done virtually nothing since he got in.

Nah this bollocks is designed to get him in the shop window for the Hibs vacancy.

Let's hope so. The bid of £250k for Heaton would be magnificent.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You’ve echoed my thoughts here. I’d love to believe it because while he did an extremely poor job here, I don’t want to personally hate the guy and I would like to wish him the best for the future. But too much in that interview doesn’t seem to fit right.

I want the Hibs job because I need money again

I'm bigging up my son again before he gets released for being unable to do basic stuff like pass a ball to a team mate (whilst secretly knowing that he only took Hayden Coulson as a favour to free up space for his son)

I know some famous people and like to brag about it

Making out there were no problems at St Mirren because right now I am un-hire able

I can't work with a budget but if you give me a shit load of money I might just find some decent players

The Sun reporter is my mate 

This guy is an absolute rocket :lol: 

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

Taking responsibility for 'developing' John McGinn and Darren MacGregor.

Dearie me. He had them both playing at a lower level than they had both previously played at. I hope our recruitment team didn't believe that from him.

They both went there as the done job. St.Mirren done the hard work.

Crazy, I remember him saying in an interview on bt early on in the season saying he’d learnt a lot at Rotherham and asked and inquired about budget, recruitment etc at his interview at saints to learn about what happens behind the scenes and how the club runs, now saying it needed more work than he thought!

9 minutes ago, Scook said:

Crazy, I remember him saying in an interview on bt early on in the season saying he’d learnt a lot at Rotherham and asked and inquired about budget, recruitment etc at his interview at saints to learn about what happens behind the scenes and how the club runs, now saying it needed more work than he thought!

He's basically saying he wasn't up to the job because he couldn't work within a tight budget

Compared to Steve Clarke, Tommy Wright etc

A more sceptical mind would suggest that he knew he was in over his head and just wanted a payoff! :ph34r:

Reading that interview a few things stand out, and warrant further consideration. If you accept its his interview/ job application for the Hibs gig, and he is going to accentuate his achievements and massage the mistakes.

Then, that said its quite an open, mature interview (unlike the abuse he receives from our support). He knows he signed some duds, but in reality, there were only three real duds in Kpwenka, King and Heaton who never offered anything. Cooke, Jones, Willock Coulson are all doing ok where they are at, and all have a future in the game. Hodson is solid, Edwards hot & cold.

where he cites the poor quality of player who was at the club when he joined is the reality all his haters refuse to accept. He inherited a very poor squad for the premiership, and that is backed up by looking at where these players have ended up, lower league, lesser teams, back at a level consumerate with their ability. Look how poorly we finished last season!!!

also his little dig about the players who went crying to the board because Stubbs called them out for just not being up to this level is revealing. You keep hearing these whispers that the reason he was sacked was for " non results based reasons", but never any information to back this up.

Stubbzo has in fact called the board out now by laying his cards out, and saying he bears no ill feeling. Now they either have to agree with his assessment, or disagree and lay their accusations out! I guess we all know now (if you want to admit it, or not) that there isnt a " non results based reason" for his sacking, the truth is more they gave more creedence to a whining group of underperforming players who have subsequently gone on to drop down the leagues to the levels they belong at.

the board have compounded their poor judgement, cost the club hundrerds of thousands, and got precious little, if anything to show for it. They should have made him accountable till the break, supported him by putting the new recruitment process in place, then made an assessment on his performance, and the performance plan they agreed with him on recruitment.

boys & girls our board do not have the skill set to identify, recruit, manage, support and constantly review someone as crucial to the club as the manager. They have proven this by all the additional support and recruitment strategy they put in after hiring Oran.

whatever the outcome of our season, the board should be honest with the support and admit their failings, take ownership and try to rebuild the confidence of the support. And also accept there are a couple of them in there that shouldnt be anywhere near recruiting, and attempting performance managing such a senior position. Like some of our recently departed players... they just arent up to it at this level!

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He claims he tried to sign "virtually all the players we are signing now" but then only mentions Kyle? Oran has signed 12 players since he arrived. Which of the others is he seriously claiming he tried to sign? Anton? Lyness? Hammill? Jackson? The group of guys from Eastern Europe? I don't buy any of that. 

Lyness was actually on trial initially at the club during Stubbs’ tenure aswell so that’s another. Aside from that though...

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Very similar interview appeared re his time in Rotherham, not long before he got our job. He's entitled to PR himself, but we're entitled to call bullshit.