Stubbs breaks his Silence

NB18

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Reading that interview a few things stand out, and warrant further consideration. If you accept its his interview/ job application for the Hibs gig, and he is going to accentuate his achievements and massage the mistakes.

Then, that said its quite an open, mature interview (unlike the abuse he receives from our support). He knows he signed some duds, but in reality, there were only three real duds in Kpwenka, King and Heaton who never offered anything. Cooke, Jones, Willock Coulson are all doing ok where they are at, and all have a future in the game. Hodson is solid, Edwards hot & cold.

I got as far as this as I presume the rest of this diatribe is revolving around 'board = bad'.

Your appraisal of the signings is way off though. Jones is perhaps the only signing now gone who you could argue should still be here. Everyone else is gone and with absolutely good reason to be. For whatever reason they just weren't cut out for it. 

What is open or mature about 'I was trying to sign basically everyone who is there now'? 

Are we to genuinely believe he had the likes of Hladky and Popescu on his radar before he was punted? Come on to f**k. 

You can cry and whine about budgets until the cows come home but that cold hard fact is that he sold himself for the St Mirren job on the basis that 'a good manager works within the constraints of any budget' and as soon as his silence breaks, laments the budget not being nearly good enough. This is also not an issue of players left behind as yes, by and large they weren't good enough for the level of football but the majority of replacements he brought in were arguably not even good enough for the level below. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I got as far as this as I presume the rest of this diatribe is revolving around 'board = bad'.

Your appraisal of the signings is way off though. Jones is perhaps the only signing now gone who you could argue should still be here. Everyone else is gone and with absolutely good reason to be. For whatever reason they just weren't cut out for it. 

What is open or mature about 'I was trying to sign basically everyone who is there now'? 

Are we to genuinely believe he had the likes of Hladky and Popescu on his radar before he was punted? Come on to f**k. 

You can cry and whine about budgets until the cows come home but that cold hard fact is that he sold himself for the St Mirren job on the basis that 'a good manager works within the constraints of any budget' and as soon as his silence breaks, laments the budget not being nearly good enough. This is also not an issue of players left behind as yes, by and large they weren't good enough for the level of football but the majority of replacements he brought in were arguably not even good enough for the level below. 

I got as far as your username and realised debate would be pointless. Just another stubbs hate post, in complete denial that we were hopeless and remain so. Lets see what Oran/Gus's picks can do now? If Oran is Tonto, the Gus must be the Loan Arranger?

Let's face it, the board didn't follow up identified targets before appointing Stubbs, rightly or wrongly, but his ego was clearly far greater than his ability at spotting and managing players, he is gone I hope we've learned from it he says he bears the club no ill will, if he can do it LPM why can't you?

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Reading that interview a few things stand out, and warrant further consideration. If you accept its his interview/ job application for the Hibs gig, and he is going to accentuate his achievements and massage the mistakes.

Then, that said its quite an open, mature interview (unlike the abuse he receives from our support). He knows he signed some duds, but in reality, there were only three real duds in Kpwenka, King and Heaton who never offered anything. Cooke, Jones, Willock Coulson are all doing ok where they are at, and all have a future in the game. Hodson is solid, Edwards hot & cold.

where he cites the poor quality of player who was at the club when he joined is the reality all his haters refuse to accept. He inherited a very poor squad for the premiership, and that is backed up by looking at where these players have ended up, lower league, lesser teams, back at a level consumerate with their ability. Look how poorly we finished last season!!!

also his little dig about the players who went crying to the board because Stubbs called them out for just not being up to this level is revealing. You keep hearing these whispers that the reason he was sacked was for " non results based reasons", but never any information to back this up.

Stubbzo has in fact called the board out now by laying his cards out, and saying he bears no ill feeling. Now they either have to agree with his assessment, or disagree and lay their accusations out! I guess we all know now (if you want to admit it, or not) that there isnt a " non results based reason" for his sacking, the truth is more they gave more creedence to a whining group of underperforming players who have subsequently gone on to drop down the leagues to the levels they belong at.

the board have compounded their poor judgement, cost the club hundrerds of thousands, and got precious little, if anything to show for it. They should have made him accountable till the break, supported him by putting the new recruitment process in place, then made an assessment on his performance, and the performance plan they agreed with him on recruitment.

boys & girls our board do not have the skill set to identify, recruit, manage, support and constantly review someone as crucial to the club as the manager. They have proven this by all the additional support and recruitment strategy they put in after hiring Oran.

whatever the outcome of our season, the board should be honest with the support and admit their failings, take ownership and try to rebuild the confidence of the support. And also accept there are a couple of them in there that shouldnt be anywhere near recruiting, and attempting performance managing such a senior position. Like some of our recently departed players... they just arent up to it at this level!

started sensible and ended up cobblers...........:P

7 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Good job he managed not to mention players going behind his back. Really dodged a bullet there Stubbsy :lol:

Screenshot_20190127-102219.png

He said suggesting everyone he inherited was hopeless and players were doing him in behind his back 

It does make you wonder how Stubbs thought he was going to be announcing a few marque signings on around £700 per week, and also makes you wonder how Kearney seems to have identified better players working with the same kind of budget (indeed probably working on a reduced budget due to having to clean up Stubbs' mess by  offloading nearly all of his signings (Cooke, Hodson and Rogers are the only 3 left out of the 11 signings he made). It also makes you wonder how Livingston and Accies had a stronger squad before Christmas while paying the same or less than we do.

I also find it funny that he is trying to take credit for the ideas of attempting to get Lewis Morgan in on loan and Kyle McAllister in on loan as if those hadn't been under consideration before he arrived and seriously doubt that the keepers, Lyons, Popescu, Dreyer, Tansey were all Stubbs targets before he signed Heaton, King, Kpekawa, Edwards, Coulson etc.

A much more dignified interview than I expected to be honest. I do accept he had a very difficult task, and he seems to almost admit he got his signing strategy completely wrong.

Not sure what a scouser is doing giving an interview to The Sun though.

Strange how Stubbs has changed his tune on expectations... after Killie he was saying there was no reason why we should be coming just to make up the numbers and viewing avoiding relegation as success and no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for top 6. First interview after being sacked and his tune is now, what do you expect working with players being paid £700 a week?  One option for making the money go further was not to spend 3 salaries on signing and paying Josh Heaton to hit reserve team level (when fit) or decide to sign 7 or 8 players on £1k a week instead of 11 on £700 a week

He said suggesting everyone he inherited was hopeless

Only McGinn and Baird from last season’s side were in yesterday’s starting line up and Baird wasn’t even first choice. Only Flynn on the bench.

So Stubbs was right. More or less everyone he inherited was hopeless!

It also makes you wonder how Livingston had a stronger squad before Christmas while paying the same or less than we do.

8 of Livi’s starting line up on Saturday were in their team that won LEAGUE ONE.

So, not even just the same side as last season but from 2 seasons ago when they were 2 divisions below where they are now!

Saints fans are jumping up and down about Stubbs’ recruitment and looking for us to sign 9 or 10 players this window again.

Yet Livi have managed to get where they are despite only signing a handful of players in 2 years!

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, Lord Pityme said:

I got as far as your username and realised debate would be pointless. Just another stubbs hate post, in complete denial that we were hopeless and remain so. Lets see what Oran/Gus's picks can do now? If Oran is Tonto, the Gus must be the Loan Arranger?

I really dont know why you bother coming on here , do you just like conflict ?

Stubbs says you cant get much for £700. Wonder if that was in his pitch to BOD to get the gig. I doubt it. He sold them a pup and also the club

I wish Stubbs had been on that amount. Clearly he lied to get job, got lucky in his cup run success, failed at Rotherham and even bigger with us, because he set us up to fail with his dreadful signings.

I blame TC for our failure in 2015 not Teale, and in case you hadnt noticed Oran has not failed , we are 2 points off safety and now have a brand new team . We at leatst have a chance of staying up and unlike Stubbs games we can stay in them more than 30 mins.....................

38 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I really dont know why you bother coming on here , do you just like conflict ?

Stubbs says you cant get much for £700. Wonder if that was in his pitch to BOD to get the gig. I doubt it. He sold them a pup and also the club

I wish Stubbs had been on that amount. Clearly he lied to get job, got lucky in his cup run success, failed at Rotherham and even bigger with us, because he set us up to fail with his dreadful signings.

I blame TC for our failure in 2015 not Teale, and in case you hadnt noticed Oran has not failed , we are 2 points off safety and now have a brand new team . We at leatst have a chance of staying up and unlike Stubbs games we can stay in them more than 30 mins.....................

Oran apparently has the worst record of any St Mirren manager already ffs. He's been given time and money, yet we sit in the automatic relegation spot. He has lost four games from a winning postion at half time, his tactics and general naivety have cost us points we could not afford to lose. If we are relegated it will sit squarely with him.

You are a laugh a minute LPM, Oran inherited a side mired in the relegation fight with a transfer window of players wasted, if you cannot see that he has already improved the team then I really do pity you.

Will it be enough to keep us up, I guess we will see, yesterday there were green shoots which will hopefully continue to get stronger as the new players all get used to each other.

I pray that we stay up as I will then be genuinely excited to see what OK can do with a proper run at things, as far as I am concerned OK has done enough to warrant the rest of this season and next based on he has identified our weak areas and signed players for them and while the jury is still out on some of them a number look better than what we had/have.

OK has had to clear out a whole team of players in January and has brought in some quality additions, the only shame is that many are on loan but needs must at this point.

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Oran apparently has the worst record of any St Mirren manager already ffs. He's been given time and money, yet we sit in the automatic relegation spot. He has lost four games from a winning postion at half time, his tactics and general naivety have cost us points we could not afford to lose. If we are relegated it will sit squarely with him.

Will it ? So Stubbs is blameless- is he a poor wee victim ?

If Accies and Dundee were not so pish we should be 10-15 points behind. So whats their excuse?

All that crap that Stubbs moaned about signing players was left for Oran or ANY manager that came in.  He recruitment, man management, selection of Darren Jackson and destroying the teams belief whilst he hid in the dugout, was ALL done to him. His marquee player pish, his 75k signing, and his obvious disregard for any of the existing players achievements . The games against Rangers 10 men , Dons,  Livi and Hearts. The players downed tools, he inherited a winning mentality and replaced it with a negative one. 

I am not saying OK is faultless but stop stating statistics when the only one that matters is we are 2 points back for safety. You seem to be blinded at Orans failings. Stubbs had the clean slate, a long window, and no doubt  talked total pish to get the job, stating Everton U23s?

We go down , Oran is not blameless , but it was Stubbs that put us on a very steep slope.

Now fecking get behind the team and stop pissing everyone off on here , OR stop polluting the forum. We dont need negative on here, try discussing solutions.... 

47 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

You are a laugh a minute LPM, Oran inherited a side mired in the relegation fight with a transfer window of players wasted, if you cannot see that he has already improved the team then I really do pity you.

Will it be enough to keep us up, I guess we will see, yesterday there were green shoots which will hopefully continue to get stronger as the new players all get used to each other.

I pray that we stay up as I will then be genuinely excited to see what OK can do with a proper run at things, as far as I am concerned OK has done enough to warrant the rest of this season and next based on he has identified our weak areas and signed players for them and while the jury is still out on some of them a number look better than what we had/have.

OK has had to clear out a whole team of players in January and has brought in some quality additions, the only shame is that many are on loan but needs must at this point.

He inherited a side that had played four league games, he gets 34 games and a load of extra budget to show what he can do. Is that not a fair crack at the whip?

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

He inherited a side that had played four league games, he gets 34 games and a load of extra budget to show what he can do. Is that not a fair crack at the whip?

My my.. That is QUITE the turnaround from your appraisal of a drastically slashed budget just a week or so ago.

So does he have more budget or less?

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Seriously LPM, what is your problem?

We are all Saints fans on here, do you think any fan is happy we are 12th ?. You seem to "BASK" in our failure. Do we really need you to fecking tell us what we can all see in Black and White...............

Oran has had 19 league games not 34, so what a pointless post?

Again negative pish and you wonder why most on here think your a troll.

Get behind the team or feck off

Just now, djchapsticks said:

My my.. That is QUITE the turnaround from your appraisal of a drastically slashed budget just a week or so ago.

So does he have more budget or less?

He got to bring in three of the highest earners when the window was shut. Bringing the squad up to 28. Some of those moved on this month we are still paying for. Others were paid off. So a lot of money spent on Oran's behalf. Meaning the overall numbers had to be slashed. If you dont believe me ask Oran!

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Seriously LPM, what is your problem?

We are all Saints fans on here, do you think any fan is happy we are 12th ?. You seem to "BASK" in our failure. Do we really need you to fecking tell us what we can all see in Black and White...............

Oran has had 19 league games not 34, so what a pointless post?

Again negative pish and you wonder why most on here think your a troll.

Get behind the team or feck off

I tnink you know he will have had 34 by the end of the season. Unless you are suggesting he isnt going to see the season out?

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

34 games is a decent crack of the whip yes but 19 of them were with a squad which was left limping by the previous incumbent you seem to love but he made the best of those by bringing in 3 quality players.

The remaining 15 we are starting to see an OK team on the pitch based on the January window which everyone agrees is a case of make a silk purse from a sows ear and he is doing a remarkably good job of that mostly with loans.

So I hope OK's signings can keep us up in which case he will have preformed a miracle after the start of season debacle from Stubbs. I will judge him based on the next 15 games not the last 19 and take it from there but for now he has my and many others full support.

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

He got to bring in three of the highest earners when the window was shut. Bringing the squad up to 28. Some of those moved on this month we are still paying for. Others were paid off. So a lot of money spent on Oran's behalf. Meaning the overall numbers had to be slashed. If you dont believe me ask Oran!

Well done on not answering anything,

Is the budget larger? Or slashed? You have now claimed both in the last week....It can't be both. 

It just adds more credence to the fact that you don't have the faintest idea of what you are on about.

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well done on not answering anything,

Is the budget larger? Or slashed? You have now claimed both in the last week....It can't be both. 

It just adds more credence to the fact that you don't have the faintest idea of what you are on about.

Can you not read? Kearney was given extra funds to bring three in outside the window swelling the squad to 28. This had to be offset so many were moved, even though that still cost to do so. With so may going out it was undoubtedly going to bring the budget down, however with a whole swathe of loan deals for players who look like they will be on more than£700 a week recently added. Even the slashing of 13-14 playing staff wont offset all thise loan deals and increased backroom staff.

when the figures come out in tbe next set of accounts we will have spent probably  the seventh or so highest amount in this league. Lets see what place we get for that.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Can you not read? Kearney was given extra funds to bring three in outside the window swelling the squad to 28. This had to be offset so many were moved, even though that still cost to do so. With so may going out it was undoubtedly going to bring the budget down, however with a whole swathe of loan deals for players who look like they will be on more than£700 a week recently added. Even the slashing of 13-14 playing staff wont offset all thise loan deals and increased backroom staff.

when the figures come out in tbe next set of accounts we will have spent probably  the seventh or so highest amount in this league. Lets see what place we get for that.

Thanks for today's nonsense  it really cheers me up !:happyclapper

Where is the proof Kearney was given extra funds to bring in 3 outside the window? First he brought in 4 not 3 and Stubbs also was provided with the same funds to bring in Miller, but that did not happen.

Did is cost us to move people out? How much was it and how much did we take in from selling Smith and Stewart?

AND, was there not a contingency fund within the budget for all the usual things it is needed for? Bringing in other players, etc. etc. Had Stubbs spent his full permitted budget in the 1st half of the season or was he hoping to have some flexibility when it came to the January window - Oh that's right you have no clue  :fire

Every player costs something - chances are some loan players will be cheaper than the average as they are gaining experience at a higher level. i.e. we are doing them and their club a favour and also benefiting too. The down side is taking the pain initially getting them up to speed - e.g. Dummett.  :hammer

we will have spent probably  the seventh or so highest amount in this league.  Wonder what you base this upon - OH! wait a minute - you have just plucked it out of the air.

:moony2