Stubbs breaks his Silence

NB18

1 hour ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Happened to hear Stubbs slabbering on and on last night during a sports segment on radio about Hibs , St Mirren and his ambitions  et al. Conveniently pretty much air brushed the whole Rotherham debacle out of the conversation., a debacle he repeated at St Mirren. Basically slated St Mirren for expressing ambition and not giving him the budget of a top six club. Then basically expressed his admiration for Leanne, ffs.

Suggested he could lob grenades into the St  Mirren back story, shame officials etc.  but wanted to keep his class , counsel and moral high ground.

What a puerile interview that was. Stubbs is utterly feckin deluded.

Interestingly, there seems to be a few 'grenades' that could be equally thrown back to Stubbs himself by the club, including some questionable motives regarding some of the 'deals' he struck and and even more so his assistant (Darren Jackson who had been operating as an agent) and some other back stories...  if rumors are to be believed that is.

I am probably a bit naive here but if he has such a great relationship with Dempster, why doesn't he simply pick up the phone and ask her directly if she is interested. That way you don't get publicly humiliated if and when she says no. Why whore yourself all over the press trying to get her to phone you? That seems like an odd power play to me.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I am probably a bit naive here but if he has such a great relationship with Dempster, why doesn't he simply pick up the phone and ask her directly if she is interested. That way you don't get publicly humiliated if and when she says no. Why whore yourself all over the press trying to get her to phone you? That seems like an odd power play to me.

That is the point Stubbs does not do things well since retiring as a player. Why would She have him back - she must know what he is like!

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

That is the point Stubbs does not do things well since retiring as a player. Why would She have him back - she must know what he is like!

Just putting myself in the shoes of either Dempster or Stubbs.

This isn't how I would communicate with people I had a fantastic working relationship with.

It's very odd.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, oaksoft said:

Just putting myself in the shoes of either Dempster or Stubbs.

This isn't how I would communicate with people I had a fantastic working relationship with.

It's very odd.

This ^^^^^^^^ that is my point too - if he was so well thought off and not odd, he would not be doing this.

I think he is just looking for a new gig - I would doubt it will be Hibs, but he will be happy to take something lesser than the nothing he has just now . . .

He showed how little ability he has for this with us and Rotherham, and I suspect he had good folk around him at Hibs previously and inherited a great squad too.

Edited by Sweeper07
Rochdale ? ?

The guy is desperate for a job. This is his last chance saloon. If he doesn't get this one I doubt he will ever been employed again as a manager of a football club. But that interview was embarrassing and although Kenny McIntyre was supporting Stubbs' comments to the panel of McCall and McCann they were having none of it.  I think they are aware of the grenades that could be lobbed back at Stubbs. No chance Hibs will take him on.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, oaksoft said:

I think you are right but it loses its meaning when you make it so vague.

We live in a world where people both cannot accept others have  a difference of opinion and indulge in mass offence-taking. Neither of these two things is an issue for the "troll" who literally couldn't give a f**k what people think. It's for people like Jrok to either grow up a bit and find some backbone or find another hobby IMO. Whining about the world being full of nasty people is not exactly going to get him anywhere :lol:.

Methinks someone should introduce him to Shull.  B)

On 1/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, insaintee said:

Oran apparently has the worst record of any St Mirren manager already ffs. He's been given time and money, yet we sit in the automatic relegation spot. He has lost four games from a winning postion at half time, his tactics and general naivety have cost us points we could not afford to lose. If we are relegated it will sit squarely with him.

Personally I think if OK does NOT keep us up it would be squarley in the hands of You, Elvis, Shull, LPM, Faraway and any other doomsayer or individual exuding negativity. Down with Trolls.:P

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47076357

elements of truth in what he says, especially around GLS and Fitzy mouthing off about where we could finish.

However, he did sign utter f**king dug meat.

Stubbs claims to have very good recruitment skills - apparently signing McGinn, McGeouch, Allan and McGregor counts as him being some kind of scouting genius even though all were established but we shalln’t even get into that.

GLS and TF said there’s no reason we can’t finish 4th/6th because there is no reason why not... St Johnstone do it often and Kilmarnock are essentially title challengers this year. 

I doubt they have Top 6 budgets... they do however have top quality managers and therein lies the caveat - Allan Stubbs isn’t that. 

He can bleat about bottom 3 budgets all he wants - the reality is the BOD can’t magic a massive budget out of thin air for managers, if he was as good a manager as he bleats on about things would’ve been fine.

My Hibs supporting mate said he would welcome him back with open arms ... Even as caretaker.

I told him that even if just a caretaker, I wouldn't trust him with the keys but he might be ok sweeping up!

I hope he DOES go to Hibs.

Long odds... But he might get the chance to finish the job he started...

of keeping Saints up!

6 hours ago, aldo_j said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47076357

elements of truth in what he says, especially around GLS and Fitzy mouthing off about where we could finish.

However, he did sign utter f**king dug meat.

That's correct. 

However, I'm 100% certain this would have been conveyed to him at the interview stage as well as the budget. Its the exact reason he became our manager in the first place as Robbie Nelson would have had the job long before Stubbs if we'd have been realistic with him in what we expected to achieve on the budget we had. He said the more or less the exact same thing on the radio after he distanced himself from the job. 

GLS and Fitzy should never have even been entertaining the notion of challenging for the top six much less expressing it to potential candidates. Not until we had a solid foundation of 2 or 3 years back in the top league. 

That being said, no one forced his arm up his back to take the role on and no one pushed the endless stream of shite signings on him. He also does himself no favours whatsoever by admitting that it was someone else who told him only 4 players were ready for this league. Almost like he hadn't given or wasn't willing to give these guys the chance himself and had to just get rid at the first opportunity.

At least Kearney gave almost all the players a chance to prove if they could hack it or not. The only players who never featured in the team were King, Kpekawa and Heaton and by all accounts this was down to their attitudes. 2 of them were already on the verge of being frozen out by Stubbs anyway. 

Like all stories of this nature, one side blames the other and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Although I still feel it was the right thing to do, no one comes out of this with much credibility.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's correct. 

However, I'm 100% certain this would have been conveyed to him at the interview stage as well as the budget. Its the exact reason he became our manager in the first place as Robbie Nelson would have had the job long before Stubbs if we'd have been realistic with him in what we expected to achieve on the budget we had. He said the more or less the exact same thing on the radio after he distanced himself from the job. 

GLS and Fitzy should never have even been entertaining the notion of challenging for the top six much less expressing it to potential candidates. Not until we had a solid foundation of 2 or 3 years back in the top league. 

That being said, no one forced his arm up his back to take the role on and no one pushed the endless stream of shite signings on him. He also does himself no favours whatsoever by admitting that it was someone else who told him only 4 players were ready for this league. Almost like he hadn't given or wasn't willing to give these guys the chance himself and had to just get rid at the first opportunity.

At least Kearney gave almost all the players a chance to prove if they could hack it or not. The only players who never featured in the team were King, Kpekawa and Heaton and by all accounts this was down to their attitudes. 2 of them were already on the verge of being frozen out by Stubbs anyway. 

Like all stories of this nature, one side blames the other and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Although I still feel it was the right thing to do, no one comes out of this with much credibility.

I also hope Oran Kearney has also get the message to not even try to pick up any points today at Ibrox!

FFS, why bother entering the competition if we are not going to try and win?

Just now, Kemp said:

I also hope Oran Kearney has also get the message to not even try to pick up any points today at Ibrox!

FFS, why bother entering the competition if we are not going to try and win?

Come on. There is a marked difference between trying to pick points up in individual matches and insisting we're going to be good enough to sustain it over a 38 game season with a comparative pittance of a budget. 

If we were putting up a budget relative to the likes of Motherwell, Dundee (who are massively underachieving) or even St. Johnstone, then great. Tell a gaffer you want to push for top six. 

I just don't think it's clever to tell potential candidates to massively over achieve with so many constraints. You'll always get the odd shyster who blags his way in like Stubbs before being found out but the more savvy guys like Neilson will clearly baulk at it because it has the potential to very quickly ruin a reputation if it all goes tits up. 

I don't think it would have been unambitious for the board to have gone in and said to a candidate that they expected 10th this season, 7-9th next season and then say we'd like to be pushing at consistent 5th-7th place finishes. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Come on. There is a marked difference between trying to pick points up in individual matches and insisting we're going to be good enough to sustain it over a 38 game season with a comparative pittance of a budget. 

If we were putting up a budget relative to the likes of Motherwell, Dundee (who are massively underachieving) or even St. Johnstone, then great. Tell a gaffer you want to push for top six. 

I just don't think it's clever to tell potential candidates to massively over achieve with so many constraints. You'll always get the odd shyster who blags his way in like Stubbs before being found out but the more savvy guys like Neilson will clearly baulk at it because it has the potential to very quickly ruin a reputation if it all goes tits up. 

I don't think it would have been unambitious for the board to have gone in and said to a candidate that they expected 10th this season, 7-9th next season and then say we'd like to be pushing at consistent 5th-7th place finishes. 

And were you in the boardroom when the interviews were conducted?

GS seems like a very grounded chap. I am sure it was made quite clear that survival would be considered a success, but given the potential at the club we are looking for someone to establish us in the top 6. GS made it clear that Jack Ross would be kept on if we went down to League 1, and TF has said Kearney will also be kept on if we are relegated to the Championship. They aren't going to sit at an interview and say "You'll have the 2nd lowest budget in the league, but we expect a 3rd place finish"

The Robbie Nielson story is another load of made up bollocks. I believe it was Dickson that started putting it around. Take a look at yourself if you are believing that!

The part in bold is probably exactly what was said to candidates.

Fitzy wants to talk us up in the media and let the fans know we are ambitious. Doesn't do any harm really.

17 minutes ago, Kemp said:

And were you in the boardroom when the interviews were conducted?

GS seems like a very grounded chap. I am sure it was made quite clear that survival would be considered a success, but given the potential at the club we are looking for someone to establish us in the top 6. GS made it clear that Jack Ross would be kept on if we went down to League 1, and TF has said Kearney will also be kept on if we are relegated to the Championship. They aren't going to sit at an interview and say "You'll have the 2nd lowest budget in the league, but we expect a 3rd place finish"

The Robbie Nielson story is another load of made up bollocks. I believe it was Dickson that started putting it around. Take a look at yourself if you are believing that!

The part in bold is probably exactly what was said to candidates.

Fitzy wants to talk us up in the media and let the fans know we are ambitious. Doesn't do any harm really.

I've never given any credence to anything Dicko has ever said. I'm pretty sure that Robbie Neilson himself mentioned when he was first linked with the job and was the moment where most of us knew he had doubts.

He was asked about St. Mirren directly and if there was any interest in the job from his part and he mentioned that he was interested but was not wanting to jump into any job where the ambition outweighs the budget on offer. To even mention that at that point in proceedings suggests he was sounded out and had doubts over what was expected.

That's how it went from here where he is expressing a firm interest with a hint of caution over what is to be expected;:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44266148

To here  where he's flat out knocked it back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44363604

In the space of 10 days.

I think you are construing this as me being overly critical, anti board or a boo boy. I am neither....in fact I'm overall quite happy with the job GLS has done since arriving at the club. I am however, thinking we perhaps bit off a bit more than we could chew in the summer in terms of what we expected from the budget we were offering up.

I also know for a fact that the issue of budget was raised to Stubbs in the interviewing process and he claimed that although it was comparatively small, he mentioned that 'good managers work with the resources they have and maximise that as much as they can' or words to that effect. So he has no f**king recourse to cry about the restrictions he was working within.

Personally i couldn't give a flying feck what Stubbs is saying in the press i haven't read/ listened to any of his interviews. He is history and will never be back at St Mirren park, so we move on.  Who knows? Stubbs might be  really nice guy, but he made a complete arse of his time as our manager and paid the price. I don't like or dislike the guy because i don't know him personally but as i said he's gone, history...

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've never given any credence to anything Dicko has ever said. I'm pretty sure that Robbie Neilson himself mentioned when he was first linked with the job and was the moment where most of us knew he had doubts.

He was asked about St. Mirren directly and if there was any interest in the job from his part and he mentioned that he was interested but was not wanting to jump into any job where the ambition outweighs the budget on offer. To even mention that at that point in proceedings suggests he was sounded out and had doubts over what was expected.

That's how it went from here where he is expressing a firm interest with a hint of caution over what is to be expected;:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44266148

To here  where he's flat out knocked it back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44363604

In the space of 10 days.

I think you are construing this as me being overly critical, anti board or a boo boy. I am neither....in fact I'm overall quite happy with the job GLS has done since arriving at the club. I am however, thinking we perhaps bit off a bit more than we could chew in the summer in terms of what we expected from the budget we were offering up.

I also know for a fact that the issue of budget was raised to Stubbs in the interviewing process and he claimed that although it was comparatively small, he mentioned that 'good managers work with the resources they have and maximise that as much as they can' or words to that effect. So he has no f**king recourse to cry about the restrictions he was working within.

I assume Neilson looked at the budget and had doubts he could keep us up with the current squad + budget available. He is being bankrolled heavily at Dundee United, so I assume he is well aware of his capabilities as a manager and was holding out for a gig where he would be at that kind of advantage!

The idea that Neilson turned it down because there was an expectation to finish top 6 or top 4 is the load of made up bollocks I am referring to.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham-united/rotherham-united-how-defeat-after-defeat-and-distancing-the-fans-led-to-millers-boss-alan-stubbs-downfall-1-8189965 

I read this a while ago and looked it up again today after seeing the BBC report on Stubbs describing his sacking by us as harsh. If you haven't already seen the article, you might find it interesting (assuming of course I've got the link right!). I can only think our Board didn't see it or Stubbs gave a hell of an explanation at his interview. It'll be fascinating to see if Hibs give him another go at it, though I can't see it happening myself. Anyway, I think he needs to stop trying to re-write history as he just wasn't up to the job - for a second time!!!

Edited by Old Weiserbud

45 minutes ago, elvis said:

There is a Hibs fan on here who has bet me the usual offshore bet of a mars bar and a juice that if Stubbs gets the job they will win the Scottish Cup again it was all I could do to stop myself from laughing .

You'll get diabetes if you keep gambling with that clown.

23 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

This ^^^^^^^^ that is my point too - if he was so well thought off and not odd, he would not be doing this.

I think he is just looking for a new gig - I would doubt it will be Hibs, but he will be happy to take something lesser than the nothing he has just now . . .

He showed how little ability he has for this with us and Rochdale, and I suspect he had good folk around him at Hibs previously and inherited a great squad too.

His f#*k wittery appears to know no bounds ! He can even mess up other teams within 50 miles via osmosis i.e from Rotherham