St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

St.Ricky

After watching that tonight i'm afraid it's not looking good. we played like a team of strangers...because we are. It will take too long for the new signings to gel and i think we should start thinking about next season in the championship. I would keep Kearney and give him a chance to rebuild, we can't keep on changing manager. I'd like to see him get a whole pre season with a squad he's had time to work with instead of this total obliteration that he was forced into.

Arithmetically we are not relegated (yet) but any supporter who has actually witnessed our recent performances must be totally deluded if they consider we still have a realistic chance of avoiding the (automatic) drop.

As others have stated on here we have deficiencies all over the park and there does not seem to be any indication that things are going to improve in the foreseeable future.

We now have a team full of loanees at least until the end of this season and no doubt we are about to witness the mother and father of clearcuts at the end of this season - and so it goes on.

Between watching this current St Mirren team and witnessing the Whitehall Farce which passes for Brexit - I have seen happier times!

Of the new signings only Popescu, Hladky and maybe Lyons look better than the ones we got rid of. The rest look just as bad!! That combined with a manager who seems to have no idea what formation he wants to play (that first 20 minutes was shambolic) suggests, sadly, that we are not going to get out this mess.

Tonight for me was that moment when you know a loved one is finally on the way out even though you have been aware deep down that it's been inevitable for some time. You have been clinging to blind hope that there might be a miracle cure but there is always a moment when you realise it was just that, blind hope. Tonight was that moment. 

We are bereft of the mental strength required for this and the failure to plug the glaring deficiencies in defensive midfield is simply inexplicable. Might as well try Popescu there on Saturday especially if McGinn is now crocked. Scunnering in the extreme and the club is going to be a shambles come the summer given the current make-up both on and off the pitch.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

3 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

After watching that tonight i'm afraid it's not looking good. we played like a team of strangers...because we are. It will take too long for the new signings to gel and i think we should start thinking about next season in the championship. I would keep Kearney and give him a chance to rebuild, we can't keep on changing manager. I'd like to see him get a whole pre season with a squad he's had time to work with instead of this total obliteration that he was forced into.

An honest question. What do you see in Kearney that suggests he is the man to rebuild? He has not improved a single player and to be honest he's beginning to look out his depth with tactics team selection and recruitment!

Of the new signings only Popescu, Hladky and maybe Lyons look better than the ones we got rid of. The rest look just as bad!! That combined with a manager who seems to have no idea what formation he wants to play (that first 20 minutes was shambolic) suggests, sadly, that we are not going to get out this mess.
This post would appear to contradict your name

We have to keep the manager, even if we go down. If we keep chopping and changing the club and BoD will lack credibility.

Just now, turrabuddie said:
8 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I'm thinking of changing it to Mr Realistic 

2 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
10 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

He’s correct though and has offered more to the discussion than you

Sadly,  it was a bad night down Greenhill Road. Pass marks to Hladky, Popesco and Ferdinand. Lyons perhaps. The McGinns did all right but half the team didn't perform.  Big Jack was, understandably, upset at his substitution.  McAllister started brightly. Miss two good chances at this level and it's odds on that you will suffer and we did.  Onwards,  hopefully upwards. 

1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

In what way am I not showing respect to my fellow supporters?

I used to attend every game home and away (excluding visits to the Bigotdomes) before I moved down south. I know exactly what it’s like to follow a team who lose more games than they win. I always appreciate those who do the same, they are the heart and soul of this club.

Just because I use the word “knickerwetters” upon seeing those deciding the season is over when we are not yet cut adrift, and still happen to be in Scottish Cup too, that now means I have no respect for others?

Let us have a moan

Just now, turrabuddie said:
12 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

We have to keep the manager, even if we go down. If we keep chopping and changing the club and BoD will lack credibility.

I think they already do

We really need to get sorted behind the scenes before anything else

I wouldn't expect a manager with a worse record than Tommy Craig or Alan Stubbs to keep his job

Nice guy and does nice interviews doesn't cut it

It's results that matter

1 hour ago, turrabuddie said:

I really hope he does turn it around as I cannot stomach another change in manager. Not sure he club can stand it financially either.

And so we move on - unfortunately we move on to Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

Ok seems a likeable, nice guy who did well across the water but for us it's not working with him.  My main issue is we keep sticking with the same game plan and inherently end up with the same results.  He also has JN & Gus there but their presence hasn't helped.  Also, if I remember correctly, we signed OK on a 4 year deal(which I found surprising after doing the same with Stubbs) so even if we do decide to part company, we will have yet another manager who needs the their contract paid, and who will take over? Gus or Jimmy I'm sure. I'm praying that something-anything happens to give the entire team a kick in the arse and we at least get a playoff spot but realistically, looks unlikely we will be anywhere near enough for that. 

I think they already do
We really need to get sorted behind the scenes before anything else
I wouldn't expect a manager with a worse record than Tommy Craig or Alan Stubbs to keep his job
Nice guy and does nice interviews doesn't cut it
It's results that matter
Agree things behind the scenes need sorted. No idea who is behind (to blame?) for the signings - ch exec, manager, dof, chairman ? Take your pick.
But I'm not ready to board the sack the manager train yet.

It is just possible that we could have struck lucky and appointed a manager who might have dealt more effectively with the mess left by Jack Ross' untimely departure.

But I think we underestimate the scale of the problem we were left with.

It goes without saying that the Alan Stubbs fiasco did not help the situation but I consider that Oran Kearney should be given the chance to rebuild the team in the Championship next season despite the agonies we are witnessing at present.

We can score goals + we can’t stop other teams scoring against us = relegation 

plus  we would give players zero hours contracts if we could. These players will all move on to their next wage provider during the summer. If Oran had any sense he would go back to his teaching job also. ( sorry guys feeling particularly pessimistic after tonight’s game) 

Jeeeeeeesus!

The new guys haven't had time to learn where the feckin' loo is.

All those calling for change who were willing to wait for the window are proving themselves severely lacking in patience. I wasn't a fan of OK getting the gig and said so from the start but I am not going to slate the new recruits after one and a bit games. Especially when one of them was against 12 men.

The performance tonight showed signs of improvement and what was missing was the final pass/shot.

OK noticed we were getting hung out to dry on the left and made the change to counteract it.

I'm not happy with the situation and I do think tonight might be the end of our short stay in this division but I'll wait for a few games before giving up the ghost entirely.

I do try to be optimistic. Plus points- we made some chances- if they’d gone in outcome could be different. Some players did well - they’ve already been mentioned here. Oran could still be testing his new team in the fire of matches with varying levels of fitness. We recovered the game for a brief period. Hey we even got a goal. Opportunity to bring Magennis and Cooke back in when fit, and to deploy Erhahon (and McPherson) in midfield

But the result is the reality. We still seem to lack bite in midfield and penetration up front. Yes there are scenarios where we might improve, but if no consistent improvement in February we risk being adrift and demoralized and preparing for the championship.  

Have already got my ticket for Saturday,  but will need to see some results before I commit more of my hard-earned to the Club.

3 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It is just possible that we could have struck lucky and appointed a manager who might have dealt more effectively with the mess left by Jack Ross' untimely departure.

It goes without saying that the Alan Stubbs fiasco did not help the situation but I consider that Oran Kearney should be given the chance to rebuild the team in the Championship next season despite the agonies we are witnessing at present.

I take a similar stance on this.  We were not the best team in the second half of the Championship. Livingston were.  

Risking the wrath of the died in the wool JR fans,  he did a great job in getting us to a winning position and then over the line but quit at exactly the wrong time for us. 

I don't blame him for bettering himself but the timing was rank.  A hurried replacement and hurried,  last minute recruitment folkowed.

AS left after an amazingly short spell.  The full background might never be known.  Enter OK.  Poisoned chalice time?  

I've never called for a manager to be sacked and I'm not doing so now. 

Keeping OK or shelving OK is a decision for the board. 

I'm glad that I am not a director! 

15 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

If we're in the Championship , I would imagine he'll go back to Ireland and back to teaching. They'll be no hard feelings , just the knowledge that he was another wrong appointment by a clueless BOD !

Edited by billyg

Outside of the Goalkeeper. tonight's game has shown us,  Popescu is our best player by a country mile... GET HIM MOVED INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE PARK ON SATURDAY ORAN. or United will run all over the top of us,  just like its been happening all season, our midfield has been lacking in every game.  it has no pace, drive, dig, or creativity Popescu showed tonight he has all that 

I am hoping that lightning strikes twice. Around about this time during Jack Ross's reign after QOS had beaten us 3-0 at home I said, that's it we are relegated.  Other results today have definitely not helped our cause. So I am saying again - that's it we are relegated. Here's hoping otherwise.  I do believe that OK will turn us around and if that is in the Championship so be it.  He inherited a poisoned chalice that not many would have taken on I believe. Well maybe Yogi Hughes would have...

10 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Jeeeeeeesus!

The new guys haven't had time to learn where the feckin' loo is.

All those calling for change who were willing to wait for the window are proving themselves severely lacking in patience. I wasn't a fan of OK getting the gig and said so from the start but I am not going to slate the new recruits after one and a bit games. Especially when one of them was against 12 men.

The performance tonight showed signs of improvement and what was missing was the final pass/shot.

OK noticed we were getting hung out to dry on the left and made the change to counteract it.

I'm not happy with the situation and I do think tonight might be the end of our short stay in this division but I'll wait for a few games before giving up the ghost entirely.

Fair points, but I still think we don’t have the depth of quality needed to stay up.