St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

St.Ricky

48 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Jeeeeeeesus!

The new guys haven't had time to learn where the feckin' loo is.

All those calling for change who were willing to wait for the window are proving themselves severely lacking in patience. I wasn't a fan of OK getting the gig and said so from the start but I am not going to slate the new recruits after one and a bit games. Especially when one of them was against 12 men.

The performance tonight showed signs of improvement and what was missing was the final pass/shot.

OK noticed we were getting hung out to dry on the left and made the change to counteract it.

I'm not happy with the situation and I do think tonight might be the end of our short stay in this division but I'll wait for a few games before giving up the ghost entirely.

Spot on, its 1 week since the transfer window closed, some of our new signings haven't been with us for 2 weeks yet. I thought Dreyer did well to set up McAllister's chance.... a Lewis Morgan-like bit of wing magic. We are missing the killer instinct in front of goal at the minute but at least we are now creating 4 or 5 decent chances in most games now, and tonight I thought we were getting the ball down and playing passes along the deck to our wide men instead of lumping high balls forward to Jackson on his own.

I thnk the current squad will come good and start picking up points, whether that happens soon enough to get us out of trouble remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Of the new signings only Popescu, Hladky and maybe Lyons look better than the ones we got rid of. The rest look just as bad!! That combined with a manager who seems to have no idea what formation he wants to play (that first 20 minutes was shambolic) suggests, sadly, that we are not going to get out this mess.

So Kyle McAllister looks no better than Ryan Edwards, Jeff King, Ian McShane etc? 

For players to be standing about in the final minutes of the game with no idea of who to pass the ball to is completely unacceptable.

Motherwell were pacy and played with purpose. We were the complete opposite. "Give the ball to Anton and everyone stand still" surely wasn't the gameplan?

I hate to say it, but it is really starting to look like a coaching problem rather than a player issue. The players simply don't know what the should be doing with the ball.

Kearney doesn't get to keep his job at the end of the season just by default. A time of stability would be nice but if a team of full-time footballers can't be organised to having some idea of where to stand and where to move the ball to then we need to ask questions of what is going on at the training ground.

Are these guys still showing up for work three hours per day, four times a week? Get them in full-time working on their f**king shape as a team until they stop f**king shaming the club with these performances.

I'm expecting massive improvements in the month ahead.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Sadly,  it was a bad night down Greenhill Road. Pass marks to Hladky, Popesco and Ferdinand. Lyons perhaps. The McGinns did all right but half the team didn't perform.  Big Jack was, understandably, upset at his substitution.  McAllister started brightly. Miss two good chances at this level and it's odds on that you will suffer and we did.  Onwards,  hopefully upwards. 

Thought it was by far the poorest Anton has played for us tonight. Sclaffing the ball umpteen times and his passing was pretty shocking. He won headers but with no direction and mostly going straight to Well players. I like Anton but tonight I would much have preferred Baird to stay on and him go off. Jack has pace and dig and he can go up for corners. All things Anton lacks.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Sadly,  it was a bad night down Greenhill Road. Pass marks to Hladky, Popesco and Ferdinand. Lyons perhaps. The McGinns did all right but half the team didn't perform.  Big Jack was, understandably, upset at his substitution.  McAllister started brightly. Miss two good chances at this level and it's odds on that you will suffer and we did.  Onwards,  hopefully upwards. 

I don't get what a large section of our support see in our centre backs that have no ability to pass a football. The game came to a grinding halt every time Ferdinand touched the ball. 

Shows you the low standards that have come to be acceptable in Scottish football.

Goalkeeper and Popescu the only encouraging signs for me - middle of the park we are sadly lacking and continue to be over run game after game. No bite, no dig no real determination shown ....... loan players will all disappear over the horizon to their next pay cheque at the end of the season and looking very likely that we are Championship bound.

Another point is that we are clueless in the middle of the park without McGinn. Those who criticise him should look at our performances without him, particularly the game up in Dundee where he came off the bench.

Tansey looks like a very poor signing. Don't know if he is unfit or lost all his confidence due the multiple injuries, but it will take him a long time to get back to playing at this level. Erhanon, Magennis and McGinn should be in the middle of the park for the rest of the season to give us a fighting chance.

As woeful as we were, Motherwell are a good team now on a good run of form. It's not quite at "abandon all hope" stage yet.

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Tonight for me was that moment when you know a loved one is finally on the way out even though you have been aware deep down that it's been inevitable for some time. You have been clinging to blind hope that there might be a miracle cure but there is always a moment when you realise it was just that, blind hope. Tonight was that moment. 

We are bereft of the mental strength required for this and the failure to plug the glaring deficiencies in defensive midfield is simply inexplicable. Might as well try Popescu there on Saturday especially if McGinn is now crocked. Scunnering in the extreme and the club is going to be a shambles come the summer given the current make-up both on and off the pitch.

I know things are pretty bleak but to even begin to compare losing football matches to losing a loved one is ridiculous. :lol:

7 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

So Kyle McAllister looks no better than Ryan Edwards, Jeff King, Ian McShane etc? 

On tonight's showing no. Missed a sitter (infact didn't even hit the target) and after that didn't even know he was on the park. Popescu had more runs at the Motherwell defence than he did!

Aside from a goal against part time Alloa McAllister has done nothing. Missed a sitter against Hibs that cost us the game and another tonight at a crucial stage.

He’s completely unproven at this level and I’m not sure he’s up to it. Certainly not yet anyway, maybe in a couple of seasons when he’s older.

8 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Popescu and new goalie wont be joining us in the Championship, they will get better offers elsewhere sadly.

Thoroughly depressing performance and result tonight. 

Whole club set up from top to bottom needs shaken up,

Yes appears we are at that stage yet again. Its in our DNA. After a success we self destruct and flap about forlornly for a few seasons. Unfortunately we never seem capable of getting our shit together and developing some sustainability.

The minute JR started talking to Sunderland the inevitable was confirmed, this season was more than likely always going to be a complete cluster f**k. JR may well have flopped badly in this league, who knows, who cares, but when he went the optimism went south too, optimism also left fans, club employees and club directors as well. As for a contingency plan and continuity with life after Jack Ross, well that plan was plainly only ever in the embryonic stage.

What's next , who can tell , but the reality of our present situation appears to be that we are way out of our competency levels. Anything can happen of course and maybe OK can galvanise the player pool, hell we might make the play offs and survive. Irrespective, the St Mirren I knew has changed dramatically and probably will continue to do so now, football here will continue to offer up more transient players than ever and a struggle to survive, connect and build a team with an identity is the latest challenge for St Mirren.

Will I be there on Saturday, of course I will....................that says more about me than the team right enough.

40 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

On tonight's showing no. Missed a sitter (infact didn't even hit the target) and after that didn't even know he was on the park. Popescu had more runs at the Motherwell defence than he did!

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Aside from a goal against part time Alloa McAllister has done nothing. Missed a sitter against Hibs that cost us the game and another tonight at a crucial stage.

He’s completely unproven at this level and I’m not sure he’s up to it. Certainly not yet anyway, maybe in a couple of seasons when he’s older.

C’mon now, you’re not allowed to say that a player who has never played at this level before might not be ready! It makes you a knickerwetter. 

Glad i’m not the only one who seen it, after he faffed about with the ball on the edge of their box and lost it (nearly resulting in a goal), he hid for the rest of the game. We need 11 players giving 200% every week - hiding is not an option.

A couple of January’s ago, Saints were even more detached and certainties for the drop than the current lot is.  

I understand why there is ‘fan’ pessimism....   I almost share it, but I didn’t then and I don’t now.

However, there’s too many games left and too much fitba to be played before fat ladies even tune up.  It’s always been a roller coaster ride.   How many Buddies look on Shug Murray’s Stirling shot or the Murrawell turnaround last game of the season as highlights of that perpetually perplexing ride?

these are professionals, they have pride.  As someBuddie posted a bit back, “Anton Ferdinand doesn’t want failure on his CV”.

i doubt any of them do.

KTF

The  Duck needs to be on the bench and maybe be an impact player until be proved his fitness .

Mullen and Jackson put in decent shifts , not the best partnership , but it's what we,ve got . Likewise Tansey and McGinn will be with us next season , so we should persevere with them in the middle .

There are enough decent players in the squad for us to still put up a fight . 

58 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Yes appears we are at that stage yet again. Its in our DNA. After a success we self destruct and flap about forlornly for a few seasons. Unfortunately we never seem capable of getting our shit together and developing some sustainability.

The minute JR started talking to Sunderland the inevitable was confirmed, this season was more than likely always going to be a complete cluster f**k. JR may well have flopped badly in this league, who knows, who cares, but when he went the optimism went south too, optimism also left fans, club employees and club directors as well. As for a contingency plan and continuity with life after Jack Ross, well that plan was plainly only ever in the embryonic stage.

What's next , who can tell , but the reality of our present situation appears to be that we are way out of our competency levels. Anything can happen of course and maybe OK can galvanise the player pool, hell we might make the play offs and survive. Irrespective, the St Mirren I knew has changed dramatically and probably will continue to do so now, football here will continue to offer up more transient players than ever and a struggle to survive, connect and build a team with an identity is the latest challenge for St Mirren.

Will I be there on Saturday, of course I will....................that says more about me than the team right enough.

Not at all. It really wouldn't have been that difficult to line up an experienced manager and start to build for the season ahead.

Anyway, relegation aint the end of the world. We will all still be there on a Saturday afternoon every chance we can!

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I take a similar stance on this.  We were not the best team in the second half of the Championship. Livingston were.  

Risking the wrath of the died in the wool JR fans,  he did a great job in getting us to a winning position and then over the line but quit at exactly the wrong time for us. 

I don't blame him for bettering himself but the timing was rank.  A hurried replacement and hurried,  last minute recruitment folkowed.

AS left after an amazingly short spell.  The full background might never be known.  Enter OK.  Poisoned chalice time?  

I've never called for a manager to be sacked and I'm not doing so now. 

Keeping OK or shelving OK is a decision for the board. 

I'm glad that I am not a director! 

Good post. One slight correction - we were the better team in the second half of the season last season, statistically speaking. 

18 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I have said before, clubs need stability. Oran Kearney should be told publicly that his job is safe, even when we go down. Unless we do what we did the last time and are gritting with a double relegation, he should be backed fully in The Championship.

Really?

so if the choice is almost definite relegation with Oran?

or...

A chance to stay up with A.N. other experienced manager, up for a fight?

we should choose relegation, and spend another fortune on the guy who relegated us, building next season's squad all over again?

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really?

so if the choice is almost definite relegation with Oran?

or...

To be fair, LPM....

... when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating.  

Nothing has changed except for the fact that despite how bad the Buddies have been, there are still a couple of teams within reach.  I never believed that would be the case months on.  I thought relegation would have been already nailed on, by now.

my wummin asked how it might go last night with all the players now assembled.  My reply was along the lines of Chelsea chucked millions assembling stars and they took a while to become a team.

this is where good fortune may come calling, though NOT if you’re a fair weather pessimist.

Edited by antrin
Added a wee bit