St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

St.Ricky

23 minutes ago, antrin said:

To be fair, LPM....

... when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating.  

Nothing has changed except for the fact that despite how bad the Buddies have been, there are still a couple of teams within reach.  I never believed that would be the case months on.  I thought relegation would have been already nailed on, by now.

my wummin asked how it might go last night with all the players now assembled.  My reply was along the lines of Chelsea chucked millions assembling stars and they took a while to become a team.

this is where good fortune may come calling, though NOT if you’re a fair weather pessimist.

What after four games we had accepted relegation, including the new manager just recruited?

dont remember him telling us that in his press conferences at the time, or even since! In fact he seems frightened to actually use the word 'relegation'... maybe he doesnt want to upset the lads, poor wee souls.

1 hour ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Couldnt believe how many empty seats there were in hospitality last night. Clearly that side of the club needs refreshed with new ideas and initiatives put in place. Symptomatic of our current decline.

It's nearly two years since i was last in Hospy and it was shit then.  Has it improved beyond that level?

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

What after four games we had accepted relegation, including the new manager just recruited?

dont remember him telling us that in his press conferences at the time, or even since! In fact he seems frightened to actually use the word 'relegation'... maybe he doesnt want to upset the lads, poor wee souls.

Of course, I NEVER said we were accepting relegation, but you know that.

when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating “, is what my post said.

by the same token, OK and the management were well aware of the enormity of the task.

that hasn’t changed.  It’s only you, it appears, who is accepting relegation.

Lighten up!  :)

1 minute ago, Gordon Urquhart said:
5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:
It's nearly two years since i was last in Hospy and it was shit then.  Has it improved beyond that level?

Dunno mate, just observed sea of empty seats from West stand.

A shite midweek night in February disnae strike me as an easy sell....

I don't think a lot of people would have been posting that all the new signings bar two look worse or no better than the Stubbs signings if it had stayed 1-1. With 15 minutes to go it looked possible could go on and win it.  Motherwell score again and we lose heart and the game peters out.

Dreyer might not be the best winger in the league, but after 3 games with us he is looking useful, he should have scored but at least had his shot on target, he set up McAllister's chance and got the assist for Paul McGinn's goal. According to sme people he is worse than having Ryan Edwards, Cammy Smith, Lee Hodson playing out wide. I genuinely don't get that type of assessment about someone who met his new teammates 2 weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

We were joint 10th after 4 games after beating one of our rivals at home.

Who had accepted relegation exactly?

Given that we had been 2 nil down to Spartans at home in the cup, couldn't score against Queen's Park and were tanked by Aberdeen in the cup (game over after 20 minutes), beaten by 10 man Rangers at Ibrox (game over after 20 minutes), horsed at Tynecastle (game over after 45 minutes), and outclassed by Livingston at home where we didn't register a shot on target at home against a team we had finished 12 points ahead of last season I would say the signs were very clear that we would have few other league games this season where our opponents would miss a penalty,Danny Mullen would score a brace, and our winning goal would come courtesy of their goalie tripping over a few yards from goal and presenting us with an open goal to take the lead with 7 minutes left.

Given that we had been 2 nil down to Spartans at home in the cup, couldn't score against Queen's Park and were tanked by Aberdeen in the cup (game over after 20 minutes), beaten by 10 man Rangers at Ibrox (game over after 20 minutes), horsed at Tynecastle (game over after 45 minutes), and outclassed by Livingston at home where we didn't register a shot on target at home against a team we had finished 12 points ahead of last season I would say the signs were very clear that we would have few other league games this season where our opponents would miss a penalty,Danny Mullen would score a brace, and our winning goal would come courtesy of their goalie tripping over a few yards from goal and presenting us with an open goal to take the lead with 7 minutes left.

Cherry picking at its finest.

Not fancy talking about the clean sheet at Kilmarnock, the home hammering of Dumbarton and the vital win against Dundee? They go against the agenda I guess.

Yes we lost at Pittodrie, Ibrox and Tynecastle, unsurprisingly. Bet Kearney would love to have only 75% of his league games as losses, as Stubbs did. Oran has lost over 80% of his.

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

Of course, I NEVER said we were accepting relegation, but you know that.

when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating “, is what my post said.

by the same token, OK and the management were well aware of the enormity of the task.

that hasn’t changed.  It’s only you, it appears, who is accepting relegation.

Lighten up!  :)

Sorry i never heard a single word from Oran on joining suggesting he was even contemplating relegation. And I dont remember a groundswell off that contemplation in the support either.

but now after insisting the new manager, and all the support were as you say 'contemplating' relegation. You want to turn it on me! You do so a bit confused and embarrassed.

7 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

You forgot Killie taking a backhander to draw with us, and Dumbarton fielding statues in our six goal win. 

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really?

so if the choice is almost definite relegation with Oran?

or...

A chance to stay up with A.N. other experienced manager, up for a fight?

we should choose relegation, and spend another fortune on the guy who relegated us, building next season's squad all over again?

We should go with continuity rather than listen to idiots suggesting we get rid of another manager who has made a huge number of his own signings. Listening to clowns like you we'd be in debt again very quickly.

Get behind the team and the manager, and try to grow some balls.

20 minutes ago, elvis said:

Do you in honestly think we are going to win on Saturday there is two chances of that happening .NONE and ABSOLUTLY NONE.

Not so Elvis.

Without playing well last night we had over 60 per cent possession.  We made chances but didn't convert enough of them. Saturday is a different game. Will we win? Heck, I don't know but we might!

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Not so Elvis.

Without playing well last night we had over 60 per cent possession.  We made chances but didn't convert enough of them. Saturday is a different game. Will we win? Heck, I don't know but we might!

There is a difference here Ricky your a St Mirren fan Elvis is not sure :P

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Cherry picking at its finest.

Not fancy talking about the clean sheet at Kilmarnock, the home hammering of Dumbarton and the vital win against Dundee? They go against the agenda I guess.

Yes we lost at Pittodrie, Ibrox and Tynecastle, unsurprisingly. Bet Kearney would love to have only 75% of his league games as losses, as Stubbs did. Oran has lost over 80% of his.

And you think hammering Dumbarton was proof we were capable of avoiding relegation under Stubbs? The only thing I took from that game was if we ever need a manager to build a squad capable of beating League 1 opposition comfortably whilst having a premiership budget available Alan Stubbs is the man.

You asked was relegation looking pretty much inevitable after 4 league games. I would argue that the signs were there from the off that Stubbs was toiling immediately with recruitment (Heaton, King, Cooke, Kpekawa and Coulson signed early doors and Stubbs admitting before the Killie cup game most of them were needing time to adjust to full time first team Scottish premiership level football). We looked decent against Killie away, but it is worth remembering that was the first game of the Scottish season and Killie were without 3 or 4 key players and it was a 0-0 draw. The marque signings never transpired. Instead we got signings like Ryan Edwards instead - we were still trying to sign 36 year old Kenny Miller twice on a 2 year deal, Anthony Stokes after going AWOL from La Manga, Adam Rooney while Stubbs claims he could only offer £700 per week in wages. You also had Stubbs own body language and the Ally McLeod-Argentina-esque photo of him head in hands and his own captain going to the press questioning his signing policy. I think it was pretty clear that league win v Dundee aside we were clearly in trouble in July and August and Stubbs had signed 11 players and spent his budget and very few of them (if any) were improvements on last year's Championship squad. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Couldnt believe how many empty seats there were in hospitality last night. Clearly that side of the club needs refreshed with new ideas and initiatives put in place. Symptomatic of our current decline.

The number of mid week league games that the club has undoubtedly have an impact on hospitality. 

I don’t think the fixture list has been kind to the club in this regard. Of the 8 midweek league games we will have pre split 6 have been at home. Indeed the only Saturday league game we have left at home is Dundee on 30th March. 

11 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

Usual balanced articulate Oran sensibly talking about how guys like Popescu are now playing their best for us once they are up to speed.

He and we all hope this is the case for the others like Mateo, Corbu, The Duck, Dreyer etc. in the next few weeks.

Too many on here ready to throw in the towel - crazy stuff - the hurdle does look high, but let's give a reasonable chance to see if we will managed to jump over it . . . before jumping off a cliff

For all the Ferdinand lovers and those who say Baird is not good enough - last night did not support your views one little bit . . .  :spud5

Edited by Sweeper07

You can't blame Stubbs then give Kearney a free pass, when he's been just as bad, if not worse.

For all our tactics and organisation has been awful all season. The board have massively underestimated the size of task at hand, with the recruitment for this season from Ross through to Kearney being unacceptable.

Whoever played a major role in identifying players under Ross, the likes of Hypolyte, Flynn and Kellerman, to the appointment of Stubbs and his signings. To appointing Kearney, who has been unable to organise two squads. Should be the one to take the real heat.

50 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We should go with continuity rather than listen to idiots suggesting we get rid of another manager who has made a huge number of his own signings. Listening to clowns like you we'd be in debt again very quickly.

Get behind the team and the manager, and try to grow some balls.

You think we're not perilously close to being in debt now? Wake up and smell it, the board are throwing hundreds of thousands away, and you want to sit tight and watch it all just fritter away.