St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

St.Ricky

18 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

You think we're not perilously close to being in debt now? Wake up and smell it, the board are throwing hundreds of thousands away, and you want to sit tight and watch it all just fritter away.

You think we are? That confirms that we're not - cheers.

3 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Couldnt believe how many empty seats there were in hospitality last night. Clearly that side of the club needs refreshed with new ideas and initiatives put in place. Symptomatic of our current decline.

Why can't you believe it?

It is an expensive experience. The food is utter shit. It has the atmosphere of an outdated old boys club, run mainly for the entertainment of a few dinosaurs. Unwelcoming and ungracious hosts. Complete pot luck if your drinks waiting staff will be helpful or not.

I do laugh when I see interviews with our Chairman talking about how driven he is and how he always wants things to improve (talking about his business I assume). Anyone with any clue about hospitality and/or public relations would have made an overhaul of that shambles as a priority from the start.

"Corporate Hospitality". You'd lose your f**king contract if you took any clients there!

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Not so Elvis.

Without playing well last night we had over 60 per cent possession.  We made chances but didn't convert enough of them. Saturday is a different game. Will we win? Heck, I don't know but we might!

Ricky, in truth we had few chances. Up to the point of JB coming off I don't think we tested their keeper.

Just after the substitution we had a flurry of activity and he made a great save plus a couple of other incidents that weren't really goal threatening moments. 

In the 2nd half we scored a goal from a header, but I had the distinct impression (up to that point) that we could try all night and not score. Other than that moment we hardly threatened their keeper.

The huge difference between the teams was confidence. Motherwell were slicker in passing, quicker to the tackle, more decisive, played with confidence and meanwhile we were chasing shadows. You sit and watch it and realise that passing across the field or backwards just isn't doing anything other than building up a possession stat. 

After we scored, it didn't look as though we would chase a winner, but my God, Motherwell showed us exactly what to do! :(

I have refrained from talking down this team as I want OK to be successful. It will be a blow to go back down to the Championship, but they need to get some confidence from somewhere and start pushing for a result. Show the opposition that we want to win. At times last night I watched Ferdinand or Paul McGinn pass back across the field because no-one was making a run or making space up front for the telling ball.

Something needs to change in the team for us to survive! :hammer

37 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

You can't blame Stubbs then give Kearney a free pass, when he's been just as bad, if not worse.

For all our tactics and organisation has been awful all season. The board have massively underestimated the size of task at hand, with the recruitment for this season from Ross through to Kearney being unacceptable.

Whoever played a major role in identifying players under Ross, the likes of Hypolyte, Flynn and Kellerman, to the appointment of Stubbs and his signings. To appointing Kearney, who has been unable to organise two squads. Should be the one to take the real heat.

All I can think is imagine where we would be with David Longwell.

Stevie Mallan saved us from League 1, Kyle Magennis and Lewis Morgan got us promoted. And if we are to have any chance of staying up it will be Erhanon, Magennis, and McAllister at the heart of it.

Our record of signing players that haven't come through the academy must be by some considerable distance the worst in Scotland over the past 5 years (post Danny Lennon basically).

Regarding Kearney, he still has some leeway given he had to bring in free transfers outwith the window and then assemble a new squad mid-season. This his is team now though, so the pass expires end of this month! 

So definitely big mistake setting up with 3 CB's and a "back 5" no question.

Looking at the goals - Hastie ran away from Muzek, Lyons and Ferdinand turned his back as he let rip - 3 of ours did not close him down - it was not  like we did not know in advance that he was a real threat!

Their 2nd - caught on the break, McGinn too easy to run past, and who was marking Campbell - Aye no one - free header 6 yards out....

For us - Jackson laid on a peach for Dreyer - at least his shot was on target but not clinical enough - He then ran past 2 Well defenders and laid it on for McAllister (Who skyed it into the crowd)  -   His cross for McGinns goal was very good too though.  Once he gets a goal, his confidence will rise.

Personally I hope Corbu is a really solid and fast RB - we need to learn to think more defensively in the middle of the park too and we need to get up to speed in the next few weeks and beat Livingstone. A few goals and some clean sheets and things will turn around !!!   :magic

Edited by Sweeper07
Highlighted Dreyer

Players are paid to basically concentrate and work hard for 90mins once or twice a week. That is the object of their training. They may not all have the same skill level but I would expect at least concentration and hard work. Last night I felt we severely lacked that in far too many occasions. We gave the ball away far too easily and failed to pick up runners - if the opposition has the ball and someone runs past you then you must make sure he is picked up mostly by doing it yourself. But too often we stood about and watched. Anton picking up the ball while it was still in play was an absurd example of failing to concentrate.

And while I am having a wee rant I was really pissed off with our free kicks. This has been happening all season. Most goals are scored in the box and many are from set plays (ask Livi). At the best of times we struggle to get the ball in the box. But when we get a free kick in midfield we invariably pass it sideways or back the way when we have a free hit and getting the ball forward to try and cause some damage. The fact that Ferdinand is not fit enough to help in the box is also a concern as it reduces out aerial goal threat. Get that ball in the box every time you can instead of allowing the opposition to pull everyone back behind it in midfield.

Have to agree with others who think we were outplayed last night. Got the feeling that, after scoring early (great goal by the way, but we were far too slow in closing him down), Motherwell took their foot off the gas. That allowed us to come into the game a bit. Had we scored with either the Dreyer or McAllister chance, things might have been different, but for much of the time in the first half we were second to the ball. I thought OK  took the wrong man off as Ferdinand did very little to justify his position in the team. In the second half we did put some stuff together and eventually scored. It then looked like Motherwell just changed gear and came back to score within a few minutes.

I'm with those who want to give the new players time to gel, but that may not happen soon enough to save us. Saturday's cup-tie will be interesting. A team full of new players who seem to have gelled quickly and who are moving up in the Championship against a team rock bottom of the Premiership and where the new players are still looking as if they need to get to know each other. Can we do it? Odds look to be against us but...…….

COYS!!

A 13% win rate is f**king unacceptable. Stubbs' players or not, that is an abominable % rate for a manager in any league - Tommy Craig managed 15% ffs. OK has not shown me anything that convinces me think he'll get us out this mess. The players have no idea what they're doing. Setting up 5-3-2 against Motherwell such an amateur mistake it makes me wonder if they even do opposition analysis in the week.

Popescu and the goalie look a couple of good finds. Although, i noticed someone on Twitter last night claiming Popescu would walk into ANY team in this league. :lol::lol: Made me chuckle.

Guest TPAFKATS
Not so Elvis.
Without playing well last night we had over 60 per cent possession.  We made chances but didn't convert enough of them. Saturday is a different game. Will we win? Heck, I don't know but we might!
Did we make more or less chances than Motherwell who seem to have won the game with less than 40% possession?

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:
Not so Elvis.

Did we make more or less chances than Motherwell who seem to have won the game with less than 40% possession?

According to bbc 

Home TeaSt MirrenAway TeamMotherwell
Possession
Home59%
Away41%
Shots
Home9
Away12
Shots on Target
Home4
Away7
Corners
Home9
Away8
Fouls
Home8
Away13

Guest TPAFKATS
According to bbc 
Possession
Home59%
Away41%
Shots
Home9
Away12
Shots on Target
Home4
Away7
Corners
Home9
Away8
Fouls
Home8
Away13
We won the possession battle and lost the rest. Given how the game went, we might have gotten something if we'd committed more fouls.

54 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Ricky, in truth we had few chances. Up to the point of JB coming off I don't think we tested their keeper.

Just after the substitution we had a flurry of activity and he made a great save plus a couple of other incidents that weren't really goal threatening moments. 

In the 2nd half we scored a goal from a header, but I had the distinct impression (up to that point) that we could try all night and not score. Other than that moment we hardly threatened their keeper.

The huge difference between the teams was confidence. Motherwell were slicker in passing, quicker to the tackle, more decisive, played with confidence and meanwhile we were chasing shadows. You sit and watch it and realise that passing across the field or backwards just isn't doing anything other than building up a possession stat. 

After we scored, it didn't look as though we would chase a winner, but my God, Motherwell showed us exactly what to do! :(

I have refrained from talking down this team as I want OK to be successful. It will be a blow to go back down to the Championship, but they need to get some confidence from somewhere and start pushing for a result. Show the opposition that we want to win. At times last night I watched Ferdinand or Paul McGinn pass back across the field because no-one was making a run or making space up front for the telling ball.

Something needs to change in the team for us to survive! :hammer

Strangely. I agree with what you write. Our best spell was when McAllister came on. Possession is often ceded by teams these days in favour of playing on the break. It's a tactic we don't seem to be able to use. It relies on movement of front line players . Otherwise teams resort to playing square passes. Time is tight for new players to get up to game speed. But we need that now.

8 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
15 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:
According to bbc 
Possession
Home59%
Away41%
Shots
Home9
Away12
Shots on Target
Home4
Away7
Corners
Home9
Away8
Fouls
Home8
Away13

We won the possession battle and lost the rest. Given how the game went, we might have gotten something if we'd committed more fouls.

I usually go with my eyes on how a game goes. Call me ole fashioned.....................

ie Man City 35 shots, 79% Possesion, 12 corners  TWO Crystal Palace 3 Shots 21 % Possesion , 2 corners  THREE 

Dam Lies and Statistics and all that !!!

29 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
36 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:
According to bbc 
Possession
Home59%
Away41%
Shots
Home9
Away12
Shots on Target
Home4
Away7
Corners
Home9
Away8
Fouls
Home8
Away13

We are not as dirty as all the other teams in this league.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Sorry i never heard a single word from Oran on joining suggesting he was even contemplating relegation. And I dont remember a groundswell off that contemplation in the support either.

but now after insisting the new manager, and all the support were as you say 'contemplating' relegation. You want to turn it on me! You do so a bit confused and embarrassed.

No need to 'turn it on you' - you do enough of that by yourself.

Can you think of any other rational end game for a team underperforming as badly as Stubbs had the team doing than relegation?

Can you think of any other rational explanation for a support to be so wholly welcoming of the sacking of a manager so early in a season?

Can you think of any other rational driver for the Directors to do what appeared to some in the media as a wrong knee-jerk response to fan dissatisfaction?

Relegation was the end game of persisting with Stubbs - hence so few people (certainly on here) disputed the decision.

You're the expert on confusion and embarrassment.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

No need to 'turn it on you' - you do enough of that by yourself.

Can you think of any other rational end game for a team underperforming as badly as Stubbs had the team doing than relegation?

Can you think of any other rational explanation for a support to be so wholly welcoming of the sacking of a manager so early in a season?

Can you think of any other rational driver for the Directors to do what appeared to some in the media as a wrong knee-jerk response to fan dissatisfaction?

Relegation was the end game of persisting with Stubbs - hence so few people (certainly on here) disputed the decision.

You're the expert on confusion and embarrassment.

You do know our managers name aint Stubbs, dont you?

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

A 13% win rate is f**king unacceptable. Stubbs' players or not, that is an abominable % rate for a manager in any league - Tommy Craig managed 15% ffs. OK has not shown me anything that convinces me think he'll get us out this mess. The players have no idea what they're doing. Setting up 5-3-2 against Motherwell such an amateur mistake it makes me wonder if they even do opposition analysis in the week.

Popescu and the goalie look a couple of good finds. Although, i noticed someone on Twitter last night claiming Popescu would walk into ANY team in this league. :lol::lol: Made me chuckle.

"Stubbs' players or not" - the fact that all bar one are no longer currently at the club, it suggests that Stubbs' signings were horrific. It's a very poor record, but for me he is properly judged from here on in, with his own team in place, and it seems there are a few of them who could turn out to be very good signings.

16 minutes ago, antrin said:

Witty quip AND it means you don't have to answer the rationality of my post.

Admirable, in its context.

The rationale of your original post is the club, the new manager and all the support were sure we were relegation candidates after four games. Piss poor, in its supposition.

Edited by Lord Pityme

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

So definitely big mistake setting up with 3 CB's and a "back 5" no question.

Looking at the goals - Hastie ran away from Muzek, Lyons and Ferdinand turned his back as he let rip - 3 of ours did not close him down - it was not  like we did not know in advance that he was a real threat!

Their 2nd - caught on the break, McGinn too easy to run past, and who was marking Campbell - Aye no one - free header 6 yards out....

For us - Jackson laid on a peach for Dreyer - at least his shot was on target but not clinical enough - He then ran past 2 Well defenders and laid it on for McAllister (Who skyed it into the crowd)  -   His cross for McGinns goal was very good too though.  Once he gets a goal, his confidence will rise.

Personally I hope Corbu is a really solid and fast RB - we need to learn to think more defensively in the middle of the park too and we need to get up to speed in the next few weeks and beat Livingstone. A few goals and some clean sheets and things will turn around !!!   :magic

A Glass Half Full, Man! :whistle

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

The rationale of your original post is the club, the new manager and all the support were sure we were relegation candidates after four games. Piss poor, in its supposition.

No.  The rationale was sound.

Your inability to distinguish between “contemplation” and being “sure” is the problem here.  And it’s your problem, alone.

if you didn’t always try to over-dramatise each and every situation, you might perhaps be better appreciated.

something you might... contemplate?