St.Ricky

St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

8 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Popescu and new goalie wont be joining us in the Championship, they will get better offers elsewhere sadly.

Thoroughly depressing performance and result tonight. 

Whole club set up from top to bottom needs shaken up,

Yes appears we are at that stage yet again. Its in our DNA. After a success we self destruct and flap about forlornly for a few seasons. Unfortunately we never seem capable of getting our shit together and developing some sustainability.

The minute JR started talking to Sunderland the inevitable was confirmed, this season was more than likely always going to be a complete cluster f**k. JR may well have flopped badly in this league, who knows, who cares, but when he went the optimism went south too, optimism also left fans, club employees and club directors as well. As for a contingency plan and continuity with life after Jack Ross, well that plan was plainly only ever in the embryonic stage.

What's next , who can tell , but the reality of our present situation appears to be that we are way out of our competency levels. Anything can happen of course and maybe OK can galvanise the player pool, hell we might make the play offs and survive. Irrespective, the St Mirren I knew has changed dramatically and probably will continue to do so now, football here will continue to offer up more transient players than ever and a struggle to survive, connect and build a team with an identity is the latest challenge for St Mirren.

Will I be there on Saturday, of course I will....................that says more about me than the team right enough.

40 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

On tonight's showing no. Missed a sitter (infact didn't even hit the target) and after that didn't even know he was on the park. Popescu had more runs at the Motherwell defence than he did!

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Aside from a goal against part time Alloa McAllister has done nothing. Missed a sitter against Hibs that cost us the game and another tonight at a crucial stage.

He’s completely unproven at this level and I’m not sure he’s up to it. Certainly not yet anyway, maybe in a couple of seasons when he’s older.

C’mon now, you’re not allowed to say that a player who has never played at this level before might not be ready! It makes you a knickerwetter. 

Glad i’m not the only one who seen it, after he faffed about with the ball on the edge of their box and lost it (nearly resulting in a goal), he hid for the rest of the game. We need 11 players giving 200% every week - hiding is not an option.

A couple of January’s ago, Saints were even more detached and certainties for the drop than the current lot is.  

I understand why there is ‘fan’ pessimism....   I almost share it, but I didn’t then and I don’t now.

However, there’s too many games left and too much fitba to be played before fat ladies even tune up.  It’s always been a roller coaster ride.   How many Buddies look on Shug Murray’s Stirling shot or the Murrawell turnaround last game of the season as highlights of that perpetually perplexing ride?

these are professionals, they have pride.  As someBuddie posted a bit back, “Anton Ferdinand doesn’t want failure on his CV”.

i doubt any of them do.

KTF

The  Duck needs to be on the bench and maybe be an impact player until be proved his fitness .

Mullen and Jackson put in decent shifts , not the best partnership , but it's what we,ve got . Likewise Tansey and McGinn will be with us next season , so we should persevere with them in the middle .

There are enough decent players in the squad for us to still put up a fight . 

58 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Yes appears we are at that stage yet again. Its in our DNA. After a success we self destruct and flap about forlornly for a few seasons. Unfortunately we never seem capable of getting our shit together and developing some sustainability.

The minute JR started talking to Sunderland the inevitable was confirmed, this season was more than likely always going to be a complete cluster f**k. JR may well have flopped badly in this league, who knows, who cares, but when he went the optimism went south too, optimism also left fans, club employees and club directors as well. As for a contingency plan and continuity with life after Jack Ross, well that plan was plainly only ever in the embryonic stage.

What's next , who can tell , but the reality of our present situation appears to be that we are way out of our competency levels. Anything can happen of course and maybe OK can galvanise the player pool, hell we might make the play offs and survive. Irrespective, the St Mirren I knew has changed dramatically and probably will continue to do so now, football here will continue to offer up more transient players than ever and a struggle to survive, connect and build a team with an identity is the latest challenge for St Mirren.

Will I be there on Saturday, of course I will....................that says more about me than the team right enough.

Not at all. It really wouldn't have been that difficult to line up an experienced manager and start to build for the season ahead.

Anyway, relegation aint the end of the world. We will all still be there on a Saturday afternoon every chance we can!

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I take a similar stance on this.  We were not the best team in the second half of the Championship. Livingston were.  

Risking the wrath of the died in the wool JR fans,  he did a great job in getting us to a winning position and then over the line but quit at exactly the wrong time for us. 

I don't blame him for bettering himself but the timing was rank.  A hurried replacement and hurried,  last minute recruitment folkowed.

AS left after an amazingly short spell.  The full background might never be known.  Enter OK.  Poisoned chalice time?  

I've never called for a manager to be sacked and I'm not doing so now. 

Keeping OK or shelving OK is a decision for the board. 

I'm glad that I am not a director! 

Good post. One slight correction - we were the better team in the second half of the season last season, statistically speaking. 

18 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I have said before, clubs need stability. Oran Kearney should be told publicly that his job is safe, even when we go down. Unless we do what we did the last time and are gritting with a double relegation, he should be backed fully in The Championship.

Really?

so if the choice is almost definite relegation with Oran?

or...

A chance to stay up with A.N. other experienced manager, up for a fight?

we should choose relegation, and spend another fortune on the guy who relegated us, building next season's squad all over again?

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really?

so if the choice is almost definite relegation with Oran?

or...

To be fair, LPM....

... when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating.  

Nothing has changed except for the fact that despite how bad the Buddies have been, there are still a couple of teams within reach.  I never believed that would be the case months on.  I thought relegation would have been already nailed on, by now.

my wummin asked how it might go last night with all the players now assembled.  My reply was along the lines of Chelsea chucked millions assembling stars and they took a while to become a team.

this is where good fortune may come calling, though NOT if you’re a fair weather pessimist.

Edited by antrin
Added a wee bit

23 minutes ago, antrin said:

To be fair, LPM....

... when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating.  

Nothing has changed except for the fact that despite how bad the Buddies have been, there are still a couple of teams within reach.  I never believed that would be the case months on.  I thought relegation would have been already nailed on, by now.

my wummin asked how it might go last night with all the players now assembled.  My reply was along the lines of Chelsea chucked millions assembling stars and they took a while to become a team.

this is where good fortune may come calling, though NOT if you’re a fair weather pessimist.

What after four games we had accepted relegation, including the new manager just recruited?

dont remember him telling us that in his press conferences at the time, or even since! In fact he seems frightened to actually use the word 'relegation'... maybe he doesnt want to upset the lads, poor wee souls.

1 hour ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Couldnt believe how many empty seats there were in hospitality last night. Clearly that side of the club needs refreshed with new ideas and initiatives put in place. Symptomatic of our current decline.

It's nearly two years since i was last in Hospy and it was shit then.  Has it improved beyond that level?

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

What after four games we had accepted relegation, including the new manager just recruited?

dont remember him telling us that in his press conferences at the time, or even since! In fact he seems frightened to actually use the word 'relegation'... maybe he doesnt want to upset the lads, poor wee souls.

Of course, I NEVER said we were accepting relegation, but you know that.

when OK came on board, THAT was precisely what he and we were ALL contemplating “, is what my post said.

by the same token, OK and the management were well aware of the enormity of the task.

that hasn’t changed.  It’s only you, it appears, who is accepting relegation.

Lighten up!  :)

1 minute ago, Gordon Urquhart said:
5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:
It's nearly two years since i was last in Hospy and it was shit then.  Has it improved beyond that level?

Dunno mate, just observed sea of empty seats from West stand.

A shite midweek night in February disnae strike me as an easy sell....

I don't think a lot of people would have been posting that all the new signings bar two look worse or no better than the Stubbs signings if it had stayed 1-1. With 15 minutes to go it looked possible could go on and win it.  Motherwell score again and we lose heart and the game peters out.

Dreyer might not be the best winger in the league, but after 3 games with us he is looking useful, he should have scored but at least had his shot on target, he set up McAllister's chance and got the assist for Paul McGinn's goal. According to sme people he is worse than having Ryan Edwards, Cammy Smith, Lee Hodson playing out wide. I genuinely don't get that type of assessment about someone who met his new teammates 2 weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:
10 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Dunno mate, just observed sea of empty seats from West stand.

A safe distance from the rubber steaks and the elusive drinks waitresses then

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

We were joint 10th after 4 games after beating one of our rivals at home.

Who had accepted relegation exactly?

Given that we had been 2 nil down to Spartans at home in the cup, couldn't score against Queen's Park and were tanked by Aberdeen in the cup (game over after 20 minutes), beaten by 10 man Rangers at Ibrox (game over after 20 minutes), horsed at Tynecastle (game over after 45 minutes), and outclassed by Livingston at home where we didn't register a shot on target at home against a team we had finished 12 points ahead of last season I would say the signs were very clear that we would have few other league games this season where our opponents would miss a penalty,Danny Mullen would score a brace, and our winning goal would come courtesy of their goalie tripping over a few yards from goal and presenting us with an open goal to take the lead with 7 minutes left.

Given that we had been 2 nil down to Spartans at home in the cup, couldn't score against Queen's Park and were tanked by Aberdeen in the cup (game over after 20 minutes), beaten by 10 man Rangers at Ibrox (game over after 20 minutes), horsed at Tynecastle (game over after 45 minutes), and outclassed by Livingston at home where we didn't register a shot on target at home against a team we had finished 12 points ahead of last season I would say the signs were very clear that we would have few other league games this season where our opponents would miss a penalty,Danny Mullen would score a brace, and our winning goal would come courtesy of their goalie tripping over a few yards from goal and presenting us with an open goal to take the lead with 7 minutes left.

Cherry picking at its finest.

Not fancy talking about the clean sheet at Kilmarnock, the home hammering of Dumbarton and the vital win against Dundee? They go against the agenda I guess.

Yes we lost at Pittodrie, Ibrox and Tynecastle, unsurprisingly. Bet Kearney would love to have only 75% of his league games as losses, as Stubbs did. Oran has lost over 80% of his.