St Mirren v Motherwell 6th Feb 2019

St.Ricky

This really is a must win tonight and at worse, at least a draw, biggest game of the season, we can't lose this game.  The players have to be brave and play without fear and give it 110% am sure they will, We will do our bit from the stands as we have all season, Survival the Sequel starts tonight 

On a lighter note,  if its 0-0 going into injury time, and in the unlikely event we get a penalty,  Let the Duck take it he's not a Chicken :blink: 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Go on then... Other than saying that we are rubbish and haven't won in five league games... What's your argument?  We beat them last time at their patch. 

I guess the main argument I can muster is that on the 3 occasions we have seen the new look squad (albeit not complete in first game), the improvement is marginal at best

We struggled against a team from lower divisions. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals

We played decent for 45 mins against hibs but had no plan b when the changed tactics. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals.

Aside from the pens against Rangers, we were over ran in midfield. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals

I think given the fact that all season the theme is we cannot runners from central areas, frequently resulting in goals against, and haven't addressed the issue (Tansey won't do), then unless the new guys really step it up a gear from recent showings, I am not sure where points will come from.

This game is absolutely massive for us. Biggest game of the season. 
For Motherwell it's just another run of the mill game. They won't be involved in the relegation fight and they know that. 
If we can't win in a situation like this we are in big trouble.
2-1 Saints. 
I view it more as can't lose rather than must win. Stop the rot and set us up for Utd in the Cup at the weekend.

I guess the main argument I can muster is that on the 3 occasions we have seen the new look squad (albeit not complete in first game), the improvement is marginal at best
We struggled against a team from lower divisions. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals
We played decent for 45 mins against hibs but had no plan b when the changed tactics. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals.
Aside from the pens against Rangers, we were over ran in midfield. key theme: did not track runners in center of the park/midfield resulting in goals

I think given the fact that all season the theme is we cannot runners from central areas, frequently resulting in goals against, and haven't addressed the issue (Tansey won't do), then unless the new guys really step it up a gear from recent showings, I am not sure where points will come from.

Tansey to start and score direct from a free kick. Then set up another for the Duck.

1 hour ago, spankin_panda said:

Got to agree on the runners not being picked up. Leaves the back line exposed.  

Have to hope that we get better at this and covering when men go forward or are drawn out of position.

I didn't see the Rangers game. My hope lies in the fact that we gel as a team.  On paper we look to have a better balance and stronger pool.

Edited by St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
49 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

Tansey to start and score direct from a free kick. Then set up another for the Duck.

Do you have the Second Sight? 

I do hope so.

14 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
2 hours ago, LargsBud said:
This game is absolutely massive for us. Biggest game of the season. 
For Motherwell it's just another run of the mill game. They won't be involved in the relegation fight and they know that. 
If we can't win in a situation like this we are in big trouble.
2-1 Saints. 

I view it more as can't lose rather than must win. Stop the rot and set us up for Utd in the Cup at the weekend.

The problem is that we are running out of "winnable" games.

Motherwell at home is arguably the easiest game we've got left. Dundee and Hamilton are both fighting for their lives like ourselves and will be right up for it when we play them. Motherwell aren't really playing for anytning.

59 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

Agree with your thoughts there, of course the anti dote to (did not track runners in centre of park/midfield resulting in goals) is to score one more than them..!

unfortunately we must have the worst 'Shots On Target' stats so far in this league, and with the newbies that, has not yet changed! Add both those issues together and thats why we are bottom, and worst in the league. But bizarrely still able to move out of it in two games.

if tonight isnt one of those games, then purely on form so far this season our destiny is already set out. If Oran wants to be here next season, then he, and his team have to get it right tonight!

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Got to agree on the runners not being picked up. Leaves the back line exposed.  

Have to hope that we get better at this and covering when men go forward or are drawn out of position.

I didn't see the Rangers game. My hope lies in the fact that we gel as a tram.  On paper we look to have a better balance and stronger pool.

Not sure how we gel as a tram -  thought you might want to do a wee edit on that one my friend

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Not sure how we gel as a tram -  thought you might want to do a wee edit on that one my friend

Thank you Sweeper. This combination of an over enthusiastic auto correct and poor eyesight isn't working too well. 

Edited by St.Ricky

5 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Be interesting to see if he plays 3 centre backes tonight. We're at the must win point now.

That should have been the formation to keep the old firm out, or at least limit the damage. In games like this he needs to release wingbacks to support the attack, meaning sacrficing a centreback to go forward into holding midfield. Thats never going to be Anton, or to be fair until the last five minutes big Bairdy either. Is Popescu going to take on the responsibility?

so far he has stayed put and played safe, but still let a few wander past him.

38 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

The problem is that we are running out of "winnable" games.

Motherwell at home is arguably the easiest game we've got left. Dundee and Hamilton are both fighting for their lives like ourselves and will be right up for it when we play them. Motherwell aren't really playing for anytning.

Motherwell are 7 points off top six??? Chance to win 4 games on the bounce , and hugely expected to turn us over, plus we beat them and they will be hurting. Dundee and Accies results are just as important as ours

21 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Be interesting to see if he plays 3 centre backes tonight. We're at the must win point now.

IT is a 50 50 guess this one for me.   The big questions are:- 

1. How fit is Ferdinand? (and I guess are the other 2 carrying any knocks?)

2. What are Oran's tactics (5 with 2 attacking fullbacks or 4 in defence - I suspect the later) and will someone blow Plan A after 3 minutes . . .

3. How will the new guys play?

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Motherwell are 7 points off top six??? Chance to win 4 games on the bounce , and hugely expected to turn us over, plus we beat them and they will be hurting. Dundee and Accies results are just as important as ours

Obviously every team has some motivation to win a game of football.

The incentive to keep a winning run going or keep a glimmer of hope of top 6 alive can't be compared to the incentive to fight against relegation.

Guest TPAFKATS

Not tracking runners from midfield was a common theme last season too. We got away with it, most games, as teams weren't as good at scoring from the chances.

These midweek matches are murder. Midday cocktails on the Edinburgh train. The Mojito Express is on it's way.

Tonight is a big game. I hope to see most of our new signings in from the start. Ethan got roasted on Saturday and seemed totally awestruck as the game just passed him by. Muzek at LB is a no brainer. Tansey also looked lost justifying some of the abuse our fans were giving him. Surely McAlister will play from the start. Paul McGinn is certainly versatile and provides cover for midfield and defence so I would bench him and play corbu at RB. Big Anton looked solid on Sat and with Pepescu and Baird beside him that should shore up the defence.

Dreyer looks useful and Jackson has looked livelier in the last couple of games. I would like the Duck to start too but we need a midfield. S McGinn isn't a ball winner so who plays beside dreyer and Mcalister is the problem.

And that's before you even consider Morherwell. Football management can get complex which is probably why clubs pay big bucks for managers and don't just let any Shull, dick or Harry with a key board on a forum pick the team.

Feck it. In OK we trust. I'm getting back on the Mojito Express. See you all tonight.

11 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Obviously every team has some motivation to win a game of football.

The incentive to keep a winning run going or keep a glimmer of hope of top 6 alive can't be compared to the incentive to fight against relegation.

Yes but in sport motivation comes from winning. If Well score our heads will drop............. if they equalise are heads will drop. Saw with my own eyes at quite a few of our home games. Fear is not really a motivator . Lets not also forget our players are just through the door. The Well manager said today Oran will turn it around given time. He may do so. Losing is a horrible habit and just now 3 teams are doing just that.................. we win , we make a mark, Dundee play a Killie team that have just lost, Accies are playing Fakes who have just lost 2 games on bounce................... tonight odds are we may well be further behind, thats pressure. Lets not also forget after that joke on Saturday the players will be scared to touch opposition in the pen area. I also scared the referees tend to support each other.

Going tonight I expect us to lose but I am in it for the long term. We survive or fail from this disaster we  learn from it..................

PS I really hope we can win but cant see it, unless Dreyer and the Duck are finds of the season. Tansey is a liability so far 

Edited by DougJamie

Guest TPAFKATS
Yes but in sport motivation comes from winning. If Well score our heads will drop............. if they equalise are heads will drop. Saw with my own eyes at quite a few of our home games. Fear is not really a motivator . Lets not also forget our players are just through the door. The Well manager said today Oran will turn it around given time. He may do so. Losing is a horrible habit and just now 3 teams are doing just that.................. we win , we make a mark, Dundee play a Killie team that have just lost, Accies are playing Fakes who have just lost 2 games on bounce................... tonight odds are we may well be further behind, thats pressure. Lets not also forget after that joke on Saturday the players will be scared to touch opposition in the pen area. I also scared the referees tend to support each other.
Going tonight I expect us to lose but I am in it for the long term. We survive or fail from this disaster we  learn from it..................
PS I really hope we can win but cant see it, unless Dreyer and the Duck are finds of the season. Tansey is a liability so far 
If motivation comes from winning, the same teams folk would always win and no one new would come through. That clearly isn't the case.

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
12 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

If motivation comes from winning, the same teams folk would always win and no one new would come through. That clearly isn't the case.

Look at the top of League tables over the last few years then reconsider that post:whistle

Guest TPAFKATS
Look at the top of League tables over the last few years then reconsider that post:whistle
So you were only talking about football? Is it all league tables or just the ones where the best resourced team continually wins?