New Signings so far...

We’ve now had an opportunity to see most of the new signings in action for at least 90 minutes. So what are the early views (disclaimer – my views are based on witnessing the whole of the Alloa and Hibs games, but only seeing the goals from the Celtic game) ?

Hladky – So far unspectacularly steady is my view. He hasn’t made a complete howler and he hasn’t produced a wonder save. A couple of the goals he’s conceded it could be argued he could’ve done better, but equally he’s produced a few decent saves that he wasn’t entitled to make. Was particularly unlucky against Celtic after making an excellent double save. Looks fairly sure footed and steady on the deck. I’m comfortable he’ll prove to be considerably better than anything else we’ve had this season. 7/10.

Popescu – Totally commanding in the air. Would love to see his “headers won” stats for his first 3 games. Can’t be that shy of 100%.  Also looks ok with the ball at his feet and positionally hasn’t given much cause for concern. The main area I remain to be convinced about is when he’s turned, or when someone is running at him. Not saying he’ll be lacking in this area, just not had sufficient opportunity to assess him. All in all though, I think an excellent addition. I’d give him a higher score if we hadn’t conceded 10 goals in the 3 games he’s played although I don’t think he’s been personally/directly culpable for any of the goals. 7/10.

Tansey – Not impressed at all so far. Looks unfit and not up to the quality required. Also came with a reputation for delivering an excellent dead ball which we’ve seen precious little evidence of  that so far. Jury well and truly out so far. 4/10.

Lyons – Extremely unlucky to get sent off against Alloa due to a horrendous refereeing decision, before which he had looked decent. First half against Hibs I thought he was excellent. Strong running, powerful and not afraid to get stuck in. Brilliant run and delivery for Jackson’s goal. Faded in the second half along with the rest of the team but I have high hopes that he will prove to be a good acquisition. 6/10.

McAllister – Looks a cut above to me. Helped turn the game against Alloa and scored a brilliant winning goal. Was definitely one of our better performers against Hibs although should have done better with his glaring opportunity in the second half. Tested their keeper on a couple of other occasions and was generally very unlucky not to get a goal. I think that he will improve our team more than any of our other new signings. 7/10.

Dreyer – Completely non existent in his first game. I’m not going to say he looked shite because he was totally anonymous. For the time being we’ll just need to give him the benefit of the doubt that he needed a game to get up to speed/find his feet, so we’ll see how he gets on in due course. Unrateable so far.

Thoughts?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Seems a fair assessment to me and aside from Tansey and Dreyer giving cause for optimism, hopefully the other 2 just need to get fitter and learn to play with the team around them after all very early days for them all to Gel

Looking forward to seeing the new LB and hope Ethan gets to play his proper position as he has been good when played out of position.

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

We’ve now had an opportunity to see most of the new signings in action for at least 90 minutes. So what are the early views (disclaimer – my views are based on witnessing the whole of the Alloa and Hibs games, but only seeing the goals from the Celtic game) ?

Hladky – So far unspectacularly steady is my view. He hasn’t made a complete howler and he hasn’t produced a wonder save. A couple of the goals he’s conceded it could be argued he could’ve done better, but equally he’s produced a few decent saves that he wasn’t entitled to make. Was particularly unlucky against Celtic after making an excellent double save. Looks fairly sure footed and steady on the deck. I’m comfortable he’ll prove to be considerably better than anything else we’ve had this season. 7/10.

Popescu – Totally commanding in the air. Would love to see his “headers won” stats for his first 3 games. Can’t be that shy of 100%.  Also looks ok with the ball at his feet and positionally hasn’t given much cause for concern. The main area I remain to be convinced about is when he’s turned, or when someone is running at him. Not saying he’ll be lacking in this area, just not had sufficient opportunity to assess him. All in all though, I think an excellent addition. I’d give him a higher score if we hadn’t conceded 10 goals in the 3 games he’s played although I don’t think he’s been personally/directly culpable for any of the goals. 7/10.

Tansey – Not impressed at all so far. Looks unfit and not up to the quality required. Also came with a reputation for delivering an excellent dead ball which we’ve seen precious little evidence of  that so far. Jury well and truly out so far. 4/10.

Lyons – Extremely unlucky to get sent off against Alloa due to a horrendous refereeing decision, before which he had looked decent. First half against Hibs I thought he was excellent. Strong running, powerful and not afraid to get stuck in. Brilliant run and delivery for Jackson’s goal. Faded in the second half along with the rest of the team but I have high hopes that he will prove to be a good acquisition. 6/10.

McAllister – Looks a cut above to me. Helped turn the game against Alloa and scored a brilliant winning goal. Was definitely one of our better performers against Hibs although should have done better with his glaring opportunity in the second half. Tested their keeper on a couple of other occasions and was generally very unlucky not to get a goal. I think that he will improve our team more than any of our other new signings. 7/10.

Dreyer – Completely non existent in his first game. I’m not going to say he looked shite because he was totally anonymous. For the time being we’ll just need to give him the benefit of the doubt that he needed a game to get up to speed/find his feet, so we’ll see how he gets on in due course. Unrateable so far.

Thoughts?

A reasonable, fair and honest opinion, excellent!  not something we see on here too often.  B)

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thoughts?

Cant disagree with any of this. Popescu with a fit Mackenzie would really help us, also be interesting to see how he works with Ferd

Dreyer just like Jackson needs support, so wish we still had Mallan.....................

Good assessment mate

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, could you clarify the order of merit we should apply to pish, useless and invisible? :lol:

Certainly.

1. invisible - jury is still out, hopeful for the next game once he has settled.

2. pish - not impressed thus far, but maybe they will improve

3. useless - would we better with Ryan Edwards?

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Certainly.

1. invisible - jury is still out, hopeful for the next game once he has settled.

:lol::thumbs2

Very harsh on Popescu.

A bit harsh on Hladky.

Spot on with Tansey and Dreyer. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thoughts?

Tansey very poor,and not helping McGinn who was caught on the ball time and time again

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thoughts?

I won't comment on your scores, they are subjective and individual - but your assessment is very fair - I think you have played football a bit). I am not sure how well the various languages and communications (Glaswegian etc.) are working on the field, but they will improve as the team plays together more. I do think the LB is key, but so is covering midfield runners - this is our primary issue at the moment.

Hladky will at some point make a mistake - but I recon he is really decent for this level. 

Popescu does all the defensive things well and he and Baird look as if they understand one another well - neither were to blame for any of the goals in our last 3 games.

Tansey is not up and running yet - I will cut him some slack - he needs match fitness and I think it will come - he has not become a bad player overnight. He is not suddenly yards slower...he will be a big improver in the coming month.

Lyons is much better than I had suspected. Folk talking about him coming from a lower level etc. (Laughable after what Stubbs brought us I know) He has loads of energy, is great going forward, links well with others and covers back, gets a tackle in etc. Having said that I do think he ran out of stream a wee bit against Hibs, but I think he will prove to be a brilliant acquisition.

McAllister - is always going to be one of ours. He will contribute well in the coming months and he will improve playing more with his new team mates.

Dreyer - It was a big bit unfair to him getting pitched in without training with the lads before hand. He found space and linked up a few times, but I think we never fed him when he made some runs as well - this too will change. He did look invisible for big chunks of the game though. Our attitude will change once he bangs in a goal and a few assists.

Although he has not played yet Mateo doing the LB job well will bind us much better defensively and give us additional options with Ethan in the midfield.

The goal scoring striker is the big missing piece at the moment though. Don't get me wrong I rate Jackson, I just believe a strong partner will reap big dividends.

The biggest thing to deal with from the Hibs game is readjusting when the opposition change their formation - Shaw basically changed the game for them, and although we had little on the bench, our captain and defence should have handled this change better.

Here's hoping this season is a bit like the one before we won the Championship. i.e results pick up and we stay in the league - cause then I think we will really push on next season .   :spud7

Certainly.

1. Wish your post were invisible.
2. All your post are pish.
3. Useless, just like your support for the team.

I'm really pleased with all the signings so far.
Tansey will improve with every game.
Too early and unfair to comment on Dreyer.
Can't wait to see the LB ( Croatian! ).
And looking forward to need of us signing at least one big striker.

Don't expect any points from the tough away games we have coming up but I think the team will be truly firing by the time we face Dundee and Hamilton again. When it really counts.

I'm really pleased with all the signings so far.
Tansey will improve with every game.
Too early and unfair to comment on Dreyer.
Can't wait to see the LB ( Croatian! ).
And looking forward to need of us signing at least one big striker.

Don't expect any points from the tough away games we have coming up but I think the team will be truly firing by the time we face Dundee and Hamilton again. When it really counts.

It ‘really counts’ every game.

I think however like you say, no doubt our best is still to come & it’s a case of finishing above those two you mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing the new players all up & running, better times ahead

20 hours ago, Kemp said:

Certainly.

Have to admit your far better than Michael Stewart at being a Punter :lol:

Having shipped nine goals in just three games I dont think you can give the goalie or centreback pass marks yet. Equally Tansey & Lyons have gone missing (not just officially like the latter) in games. Tansey has yet to put in a decent delivery.

Dryer was largely anonymous on his debut. The whole team folded against a ropey Hibs side in the second half. McAllister isnt fully fit yet so kinder and more realistic to withhold judging them so far. 

I get the feeling we will only really improve (results) when Magennis is fit again. If you look at it objectively who have we recruited that was playing and performing regularly at the level, or above of teams we face in the league? I know for the most part its the market we are in, unlike in 2017 when we brought in some players, playing at a much better level than those we faced each week.

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Having shipped nine goals in just three games I dont think you can give the goalie or centreback pass marks yet. Equally Tansey & Lyons have gone missing (not just officially like the latter) in games. Tansey has yet to put in a decent delivery.

Dryer was largely anonymous on his debut. The whole team folded against a ropey Hibs side in the second half. McAllister isnt fully fit yet so kinder and more realistic to withhold judging them so far. 

I get the feeling we will only really improve (results) when Magennis is fit again. If you look at it objectively who have we recruited that was playing and performing regularly at the level, or above of teams we face in the league? I know for the most part its the market we are in, unlike in 2017 when we brought in some players, playing at a much better level than those we faced each week.

Good polnt.  We should be going for the likes of McGregor [Rangers] McKenna [Aberdeen] Tierney [Celtic] Jones [Killie] Harry Kane [Spurs]  Get it sorted Gus  :spud5