St. Mirren v Kilmarnock, Monday 11th March 2019

5 minutes ago, gstretchuk said:

Not a dreaded drop..a welcome drop to a league Saints can compete in..

You sound as if you would welcome relegation to the Championship. 

Ask fans of Dundee United, Partick, Falkirk, etc, about that.

Thought it was a missed opportunity last night that is not the same killie team as their first visit to paisley. Defence were good last night thought midfield let killie play too much and jackson had an off night but he has a thankless task absolutely no support. He chased a ball over the top last night the keeper just beat him to it and there was not 1 saints player over the halfway line. We were unlucky not to get a point but definitely think tactics were wrong last night if we are going to go 1 upfront we need at least one midfielder in a more advanced role to support striker

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You sound as if you would welcome relegation to the Championship. 

Ask fans of Dundee United, Partick, Falkirk, etc, about that.

Would defo welcome it...better away days, win a few games..happy to compete but not win it....premier league is pish...struggle every year we are in it so whats point...

Think it's time to rethink how we set up . We are now coming to a stage of the season where nearly all the team we are up against are of a similar standard as ourselves , and we should be going for the three points rather than settle for the draw . With that in mind , it's time to play two up front , and for Kyle McAllister to play in the left wing back position instead of Erahon . We were more dangerous for the last quarter with two up front , and too often Erahon passed back as he didn't have the pace to go by his man .

Ethan's time will come , but for the next few games I think he needs s rest .

Still think we can stay up , just think we now need to be more attack minded .

Seems like a good amount on here have a lot of built up anger since they have had feck all to moan about in recent games.

Killie are 4th in the league for a good reason they have a much better squad than us we played well in spells last night prob edged the 1st half imo but killie had a lot more of the ball in the 2nd half we had a good few chances but wasn’t to be our night in yet again dreadful conditions.

12 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I wonder if after nearly  30 games in charge Oran and our coaching staff might concede lumping high balls up to a midget isnt the way to go? It so obvious Duckens is the player that upsets opposition defences, but instead we persist with "Umpa Lumpa" football with Jackson, Mcallister and occasionally Mullen.

Duckens was very poor against Livingston, and we only created anything once Jackson came on. That's where the winning goal come from.

He was better last night, and I reckon he will start against St Johnstone.

Jackson played well last night again, but was let down by lack of support from the midfield.

39 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Think it's time to rethink how we set up . We are now coming to a stage of the season where nearly all the team we are up against are of a similar standard as ourselves , and we should be going for the three points rather than settle for the draw . With that in mind , it's time to play two up front , and for Kyle McAllister to play in the left wing back position instead of Erahon . We were more dangerous for the last quarter with two up front , and too often Erahon passed back as he didn't have the pace to go by his man .

Ethan's time will come , but for the next few games I think he needs s rest .

Still think we can stay up , just think we now need to be more attack minded .

What do you think would happen if Kyle McAllister has to play all game up against an attacking right winger? No point adding  more attacking threat if we are going to go back to giving the opposition a 4 goal head start.

I do agree though Ethan doesn't offer enough going down that left wing, it isn't his natural position at all.

1 hour ago, bender rodriguez said:

Thought it was a missed opportunity last night that is not the same killie team as their first visit to paisley. Defence were good last night thought midfield let killie play too much and jackson had an off night but he has a thankless task absolutely no support. He chased a ball over the top last night the keeper just beat him to it and there was not 1 saints player over the halfway line. We were unlucky not to get a point but definitely think tactics were wrong last night if we are going to go 1 upfront we need at least one midfielder in a more advanced role to support striker

Lyons and McAllister were supposed to be supporting Jackson. Both are talented, both can beat a man, neither offered enough last night. 

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

What do you think would happen if Kyle McAllister has to play all game up against an attacking right winger? No point adding  more attacking threat if we are going to go back to giving the opposition a 4 goal head start.

I do agree though Ethan doesn't offer enough going down that left wing, it isn't his natural position at all.

Muzak is a left back / central defender so the hope is he would double up . Also think the two of them would be more of an attacking threat down the left . Also it's time to play two up front .

25 minutes ago, delpierro said:

How a manager can stand looking across the middle area of a fitba pitch and not see his team being overrun in that area, and fail to rectify the situation is beyond comprehension.
Maj., of posts concerning the killie game, point to this.

The reason the manager wouldn't see that is because it wasn't happening.

We weren't being overrun.

We were defending deep, surrendering possession and trying to hit them on the counter-attack, just as we did against Aberdeen and Hearts away. We weren't making any attempt to win the ball in areas where it wasn't any danger to us.

Edited by Kemp

15 minutes ago, delpierro said:

How a manager can stand looking across the middle area of a fitba pitch and not see his team being overrun in that area, and fail to rectify the situation is beyond comprehension.
Maj., of posts concerning the killie game, point to this.

We shouldn’t have been though, especially with two wing backs. They seemed to drop back a fair bit, although they may have been instructed to do so.

A frustrating night, but take some positives that we are offering more in an attacking sense and are getting in better attacking positions. With Tansey back, could see us switching to a 4-2-3-1 against the Jonnies and trying to push the likes of Kyle and possibly Dreyer further forward.

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

The reason the manager wouldn't see that is because it wasn't happening.

We weren't being overrun.

We were defending deep, surrendering possession and trying to hit them on the counter-attack, just as we did against Aberdeen and Hearts away. They weren't making any attempt to win the ball in areas where it wasn't any danger to us.

Pretty much agree with this , we just didn't make the best of the limited chances we created , and had we had either Tansey . But we played okay . We do now need to start winning games , and maybe be a bit more attack minded .

34 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Muzak is a left back / central defender so the hope is he would double up . Also think the two of them would be more of an attacking threat down the left . Also it's time to play two up front .

The move to a back three of Popescu, Baird and Muzek has worked well. Would it work with an attacker playing left back and with body less in midfield? I'm not so sure. Playing two strikers doesn't automatically make you more attacking.

Having said that, the midfield badly failed to support Jackson last night. So maybe long ball up to Jackson & The Duck will be the way to go. 

10 hours ago, W6Saint said:

There has certainly been an upturn in fortunes in recent and that has to be commended...

However, it is absolutely incredible that there is not only 1, but 2 sides as bad as us down near the bottom. 

Accies, Dundee and ourselves (particularly the latter 2) have to be among some of the poorer sides to have played in this league in recent years.

In any other season any of the 3 would be long gone by now.

I would say the strength of the league has improved over the last 5 or 6 years, starting with Aberdeen improving under McInnes and being able to give Celtic led by Delia a run for their money for the title. Since then the international Rangers have won promotion and reached a similar level as Aberdeen, and last season Hibs hit that same level too. Hearts are also back to a standard you would expect (comfortably top 6) and then Killie under Steve Clarke have performed as a top 4 team. If you go back to the Danny Lennon era, Hibs and Hearts were much much weaker as were Aberdeen and Killie were fellow relegation dodgers with us. St Johnstone have probably stayed a similar strength but now struggle to make the top 6 after having something like 5 years in a row in the top 6 and regularly qualifying for Europe.

What does this have to do with St Mirren? We are in a different type of premiership now. Previously there was Celtic and Rangers miles ahead of everyone else and a few teams 20-30 points behind them and then a race to make the last few top 6 places and some of those scrapping into the top 6 might only finish 10 points ahead of the team being relegated. The bottom 6 used to be very tight from 9th to 12th (i.e. very few points separating St Mirren, Killie, Accies, Ross County, Inverness, Dundee - who were often not far away from the Motherwells and St Johnstones making it regularly into the top 6). 

If we stay up this year, next year we will be in a 4 way scrap with Livi and 2 others to avoid the relegation and play off places and I think for as long as Clarke remains at Killie they will remain a good top 6 side. I don't think Motherwell or St Johnstone will finish in the top 6 again for a while and the best they can hope for will be being comfortably safe by the time of the split.

16 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The move to a back three of Popescu, Baird and Muzek has worked well. Would it work with an attacker playing left back and with body less in midfield? I'm not so sure. Playing two strikers doesn't automatically make you more attacking.

Having said that, the midfield badly failed to support Jackson last night. So maybe long ball up to Jackson & The Duck will be the way to go. 

As much as I dislike the formation, it's made us much harder to break down and in our last 4 games - we've stayed in the game on each occasion, and given ourselves chances to win each game. From that POV, it's been a huge success. With a bit more luck, we could easily have taken more than our 5 points from the 12 available

I think the injury to McGinn before the game started would have had an effect on how we played as currently he is a better player than Mcpherson who replaced him. If Tansey had been available that would have been a better swap.

I thought we had better chances than Killie just failed to take them either through missing the ball across the box or Findlay's defending who I thought was their player of the match.

At the end of the day we were playing against a top 3/4 team and competed for 89 mins of the game where they were restricted to mostly long shots aside from the goal and the one off the post, we would not have managed that pre-January window so still positives from the game.

8 minutes ago, Doakes said:

As much as I dislike the formation, it's made us much harder to break down and in our last 4 games - we've stayed in the game on each occasion, and given ourselves chances to win each game. From that POV, it's been a huge success. With a bit more luck, we could easily have taken more than our 5 points from the 12 available

Indeed. Quite a lot of people seem to be forgetting we are in a relegation battle here, and we still have several areas of the pitch where we are much weaker than our opposition. Nicking draws and wins is what we are looking to do.

9 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Indeed. Quite a lot of people seem to be forgetting we are in a relegation battle here, and we still have several areas of the pitch where we are much weaker than our opposition. Nicking draws and wins is what we are looking to do.

Yep, if we take more than 5 points from the next 4 games I don't think we'll be far away from the pack come the split. We really need to average a win every few games to give ourselves a chance

Last 4 games

St Mirren W1, D2, L1  (5pts)

Dundee W1, D0, L3 (3pts)

Hamilton W1, D0, L3 (3pts) 

Edited by Doakes