St. Mirren v Kilmarnock, Monday 11th March 2019

Pretty much agree with this , we just didn't make the best of the limited chances we created , and had we had either Tansey . But we played okay . We do now need to start winning games , and maybe be a bit more attack minded .

The reason we play on the counter attack at home is simply OK doesn't trust his midfielders to be good enough to deal with other teams midfield. I can understand away games but not at home. Hes sorted out defence Muzack. Popescu and Hladkey have been superb. 

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Duckens was very poor against Livingston, and we only created anything once Jackson came on. That's where the winning goal come from.

He was better last night, and I reckon he will start against St Johnstone.

Jackson played well last night again, but was let down by lack of support from the midfield.

Jackson duffed two excellent chances last night and was outmuscled continually, lumping balls up to him is the height of insanity, i.e. "Continually doing the same thing over and over again, and hoping for a different result" it has not worked across over twenty games.

Just now, santaponsasaint said:
53 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:
Pretty much agree with this , we just didn't make the best of the limited chances we created , and had we had either Tansey . But we played okay . We do now need to start winning games , and maybe be a bit more attack minded .

The reason we play on the counter attack at is simply OK doesn't trust his midfielders to be good enough to deal with other teams midfield. I can understand away games but not at home. Hes sorted out defence Muzack. Popescu and Hladkey have superb.

You done copulating today?

Just now, santaponsasaint said:
54 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

The reason we play on the counter attack at is simply OK doesn't trust his midfielders to be good enough to deal with other teams midfield. I can understand away games but not at home. Hes sorted out defence Muzack. Popescu and Hladkey have superb.

Yeah, the first move that Cammy, Ethan and Brad made when getting on the ball was to turn backwards. Only Flynn and Kyle faced up and tried to go forward and we missed that real link.

If Killie hadn't scored when they did we would've been talking about a strong performance and a well earned point in horrible conditions. Next few games are huge, Dundee playing Celtic, then us. Their fans are looking at that nervously. Hamilton will smell an opportunity against Hearts then Killie though 

We played well enough, hit them on the break and had more efforts on target over the piece, despite having less possession. We play on the counter because it allows us to be solid at the back and use players like McAllister, McPherson and Lyons to support the lone frontman. We brought Nazon on in the second half to try to force the issue, having restricted Kilmarnock to very few chances up to that point.

I'm happy for us to go this way most weeks, as it has (up to last night) allowed us to pick up points when we weren't fancied to get them. I am confident we can nick a point on Saturday, and possibly more.

47 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We played well enough, hit them on the break and had more efforts on target over the piece, despite having less possession. We play on the counter because it allows us to be solid at the back and use players like McAllister, McPherson and Lyons to support the lone frontman. We brought Nazon on in the second half to try to force the issue, having restricted Kilmarnock to very few chances up to that point.

I'm happy for us to go this way most weeks, as it has (up to last night) allowed us to pick up points when we weren't fancied to get them. I am confident we can nick a point on Saturday, and possibly more.

I agree. I also thought we matched up much better physically. We don't look like we will be bullied and that will stand us in good stead for the battles with Hamilton and Dundee.

12 hours ago, Doakes said:

I thought we played well given the conditions. Paul McGinn and Baird guilty of switching off at their goal. Apart from that we were solid enough. Hladky had another good game. 

Thought Lyons and Flynn were great first half, second half Lyons faded. Apparently half of the team have a sickness bug at the moment, probably didn’t help much towards the end. Killie stronger team second half with the wind behind them. 

Gutted not to get at least a point. Need to go to Perth and force the 3 points off them

So the goal was Baird and McGinn's fault - Really (I wonder what fault percentage you attribute to them both).  Nothing to do with MacAllister's or Flynn's non existent challenge in midfield as Killie win possession, nor Popescu failing to cover Brophy or even to prevent him from putting in the decisive cross to the UNMARKED Millar - who was the RB's man before the break began (Paul McGinn).  Baird had his own man covered (their No.15)- but you think he should leave his man and mark everybody else's or it is his fault? If he had covered Millar, the chances are the cross would have gone to their No. 15 coming in on the penalty spot.

If Baird is culpable, it is only if he failed to scream at Paul McGinn to get back - and as a CB I would bet that he did scream at him. More likely is that McGinn failed to react quickly enough... I also strongly suspect that McGinn was at that point more attack minded, hoping we would get the goal and hoping to support an attack for us. Sometimes it works for you and sometimes it works against you.

What about Flynn's marking of Brophy when he hit the post or the marking of Broadfoot when he had a free header and his marker was neither of the 2 above. We got off with these lapses...

My POINT is that football is a team game - and losing one goal in a match is not exactly unusual or always a disaster - if we don't score any goals we will never win. Jackson has a few chances and did not take any of them, others had opportunities too.

We did not play as well as we are capable off now - but rumour is a sickness bug affected some of the team and the conditions were not great once more. Fine margins cost us 1 or 3 points tonight, but similar fine margins gained us 3 against Livi - that's football at this level.

The big deal is we begin again against the Fakes - my hope is that the belief is still growing and the hunger for points is also growing.

We will soon see, but our next 2 fixtures are winnable for sure.     :ninja:spud7  

4 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

So the goal was Baird and McGinn's fault - Really (I wonder what fault percentage you attribute to them both).  Nothing to do with MacAllister's or Flynn's non existent challenge in midfield as Killie win possession, nor Popescu failing to cover Brophy or even to prevent him from putting in the decisive cross to the UNMARKED Millar - who was the RB's man before the break began (Paul McGinn).  Baird had his own man covered (their No.15)- but you think he should leave his man and mark everybody else's or it is his fault? If he had covered Millar, the chances are the cross would have gone to their No. 15 coming in on the penalty spot.

If Baird is culpable, it is only if he failed to scream at Paul McGinn to get back - and as a CB I would bet that he did scream at him. More likely is that McGinn failed to react quickly enough... I also strongly suspect that McGinn was at that point more attack minded, hoping we would get the goal and hoping to support an attack for us. Sometimes it works for you and sometimes it works against you.

What about Flynn's marking of Brophy when he hit the post or the marking of Broadfoot when he had a free header and his marker was neither of the 2 above. We got off with these lapses...

My POINT is that football is a team game - and losing one goal in a match is not exactly unusual or always a disaster - if we don't score any goals we will never win. Jackson has a few chances and did not take any of them, others had opportunities too.

We did not play as well as we are capable off now - but rumour is a sickness bug affected some of the team and the conditions were not great once more. Fine margins cost us 1 or 3 points tonight, but similar fine margins gained us 3 against Livi - that's football at this level.

The big deal is we begin again against the Fakes - my hope is that the belief is still growing and the hunger for points is also growing.

We will soon see, but our next 2 fixtures are winnable for sure.     :ninja:spud7  

In all honesty I posted that just after I'd left the ground, without seeing the highlights back. After watching the highlights you are spot on with that 

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Jackson duffed two excellent chances last night and was outmuscled continually, lumping balls up to him is the height of insanity, i.e. "Continually doing the same thing over and over again, and hoping for a different result" it has not worked across over twenty games.

BUT he is still out top scorer right ?  :D

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

It is an unfortunate fact that teams on a bad/indifferent run seem to end it, and pick up the points against us. How manybtimes this season have we bemoaned being done by an out of sorts Killie, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell etc, and lost or shared points with Dundee & Hamilton?

Not sure why Hearts are on your list. They beat us 4-1 on the 1st September after having 7 wins and a draw in there opening 8 games of the season. After that we beat them 2-0 at our place and then recently drew 1-1 back at theirs.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to look at the other teams you mention to establish if you are talking utter bollocks about them too.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I wonder if after nearly  30 games in charge Oran and our coaching staff might concede lumping high balls up to a midget isnt the way to go? It so obvious Duckens is the player that upsets opposition defences, but instead we persist with "Umpa Lumpa" football with Jackson, Mcallister and occasionally Mullen.

Duckens has been poor IMO until last night. The 30 mins he did last night showed why he has been brought to the club. OK setup correctly to start the match by dropping both Duckens and Dreyer and starting Jackson and McAllister.

Unlucky last night but still all to play for and players giving 100% for the manager.

We looked more of a threat when we went with Nazon and Jackson up front. If we can find some system that gets Nazon, Jackson and Mcallister on the field at the same time then we’ll be more of an attacking threat. Whether we’re sacrificing a defender or a midfielder to make that happen. Who knows.

Fair play to OK last night though he went for the win, didn’t pay off but at least we had a pop. Don’t think we played anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

58 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not sure why Hearts are on your list. They beat us 4-1 on the 1st September after having 7 wins and a draw in there opening 8 games of the season. After that we beat them 2-0 at our place and then recently drew 1-1 back at theirs.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to look at the other teams you mention to establish if you are talking utter bollocks about them too.

So setting Hearts aside, what you are really saying is my analysis is bang on! Cheers.

I know Ethan Erhahon is young and playing out of position but he has played every game nearly since Christmas and I haven’t seen anything of note come from him in most of the games. Sometimes you don’t know he’s on the park. 

I’m not quite sure what his role in the team is other than filling a space until we sign another half decent left sided player in the summer.

Would like to see how he did in the centre midfield though instead of macpherson.

Edited by Big Yards

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So setting Hearts aside, what you are really saying is my analysis is bang on! Cheers.

No I’m saying that having checked you were talking bollocks about Hearts, I did not have the inclination to check the rest. It may be bang on or it may be similarly utter bollocks. 

So about Hearts then???

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Any long balls to Jackson are played down the channels for him to get on to, not lumped on this head.