Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Eric Arthur Blair

Welcome Duckens Nazon

Recommended Posts

He looked like a competition winner.

I remember Stephane Bahoken having a similarly honking home debut against Partick Thistle a few seasons back. Then the usual need to give him time after etc. Don’t think he ever started for us again.

I would be surprised if Nazon started on Sat after that show last night. Mullen did far more in his short time on the pitch and surely must get the nod against United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He looked like a competition winner.

I remember Stephane Bahoken having a similarly honking home debut against Partick Thistle a few seasons back. Then the usual need to give him time after etc. Don’t think he ever started for us again.

The same Bahoken who is currently on seven goals in 20 in the French top flight? Maybe he really did just need time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The same Bahoken who is currently on seven goals in 20 in the French top flight? Maybe he really did just need time.


Yeah agreed he’s one of many Danny let go that went on to better and bigger things.

Problem is we aren’t in a position to give players 6 games to bed in. We need them to hit the ground running - as Hamilton and Dundee’s new strikers have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TopCat said:

 


Yeah agreed he’s one of many Danny let go that went on to better and bigger things.

Problem is we aren’t in a position to give players 6 games to bed in. We need them to hit the ground running - as Hamilton and Dundee’s new strikers have.

 

Yeah, that's true. We were stuck between a rock and a hard place: needed new players but were always going to struggle to get in anyone who was ready.

We rolled the dice big time. It could still pay off, but probably won't.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopCat said:

 


Yeah agreed he’s one of many Danny let go that went on to better and bigger things.

Problem is we aren’t in a position to give players 6 games to bed in. We need them to hit the ground running - as Hamilton and Dundee’s new strikers have.

 

We have just played the bigot brothers away and in form Motherwell. Wonder how well Dundee and Hamilton would have fared. You need to give players a few games to get used to the pace up here. In an ideal world they would be scoring immediately but it will take time. Do we have that time? Not really but unlike summer signings we have to hope those newbies prove us wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have just played the bigot brothers away and in form Motherwell. Wonder how well Dundee and Hamilton would have fared. You need to give players a few games to get used to the pace up here. In an ideal world they would be scoring immediately but it will take time. Do we have that time? Not really but unlike summer signings we have to hope those newbies prove us wrong.
I think we have to treat this week as a pre-season week. Double training sessions even having the new players having digs with established players. They need to be together and get to know each other as much as possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have just played the bigot brothers away and in form Motherwell. Wonder how well Dundee and Hamilton would have fared. You need to give players a few games to get used to the pace up here. In an ideal world they would be scoring immediately but it will take time. Do we have that time? Not really but unlike summer signings we have to hope those newbies prove us wrong.



We played an out of form St Johnstone and Hibs at home too and lost both of them.

Our next two league games are at Pittodrie and Tyndcastle - grounds we have terrible records at and two teams in decent form. Shall we write them off...?

We could very quickly be 6+ points adrift at the bottom of the league looking at the upcoming fixtures. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

We have just played the bigot brothers away and in form Motherwell. Wonder how well Dundee and Hamilton would have fared. You need to give players a few games to get used to the pace up here. In an ideal world they would be scoring immediately but it will take time. Do we have that time? Not really but unlike summer signings we have to hope those newbies prove us wrong.

 

1 hour ago, Peeblesaint said:
2 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:
We have just played the bigot brothers away and in form Motherwell. Wonder how well Dundee and Hamilton would have fared. You need to give players a few games to get used to the pace up here. In an ideal world they would be scoring immediately but it will take time. Do we have that time? Not really but unlike summer signings we have to hope those newbies prove us wrong.

I think we have to treat this week as a pre-season week. Double training sessions even having the new players having digs with established players. They need to be together and get to know each other as much as possible

Oran says that the Duck played his 1st game in over 6 weeks with us last night - yes it showed, but that is the reality. Same for Mateo and Corbu too. They will get up to speed and match fitness once they get some more game time - just like Popescu has done.

Dreyer looks as if he is picking up the pace, although he does disappear too much at the moment - he contributed to our goal last night and gave McAllister a good chance.

Shooting practice in training all week - prizes for the best contribution in each game - get a bit of extra fun into training and on match days. It is a serious position we are in, but we need to do all we can to lift the spirits and to build confidence and a real team. Then when the chances start to go in and the midfield start to defend better we will see the progress and feel a whole lot better.

At the moment the Hares are running ahead, but we can slowly and deliberately catch up and win the big prize which is at stake. :magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bits of his play in the first half reminded me of Isma when he arrived, power and pace coupled with a bundling approach that we could see would be a handful. Second half was also reminded of down sides of Isma too, looks woefully unfit, chased things down when he wanted to. I'm prepared to give him some time, but fitness issues better get sorted soon.

I would start Mullen and Nazon on Saturday ahead of Jackson however. Mullen chased things down last night, accepting the falling over hasn't disappeared, and offered more than Jackson overall. United typically are strong physically in defence and we need the strength of Nazon, coupled with the nuisance of Mullen I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, madball said:

Bits of his play in the first half reminded me of Isma when he arrived, power and pace coupled with a bundling approach that we could see would be a handful. Second half was also reminded of down sides of Isma too, looks woefully unfit, chased things down when he wanted to. I'm prepared to give him some time, but fitness issues better get sorted soon.

I would start Mullen and Nazon on Saturday ahead of Jackson however. Mullen chased things down last night, accepting the falling over hasn't disappeared, and offered more than Jackson overall. United typically are strong physically in defence and we need the strength of Nazon, coupled with the nuisance of Mullen I think.

I rate Jackson more highly than you do - but starting with Mullen and Nazon on Saturday is a good idea. Mullen is back fit and raring to go - he will hound Utd and hopefully tire them out a wee bit. Nazon needs game time for fitness and if he could pinch a goal it would be a huge boost to him and to us. Strikers need goals. Being able to bring on Jackson for the last 30 - 40 minutes would be a real lift.

I think the main priority is getting the midfield and full backs to defend better - like we are actually a team. . . :magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I rate Jackson more highly than you do - but starting with Mullen and Nazon on Saturday is a good idea. Mullen is back fit and raring to go - he will hound Utd and hopefully tire them out a wee bit. Nazon needs game time for fitness and if he could pinch a goal it would be a huge boost to him and to us. Strikers need goals. Being able to bring on Jackson for the last 30 - 40 minutes would be a real lift.
I think the main priority is getting the midfield and full backs to defend better - like we are actually a team. . . :magic
I do rate Jackson, but feel he's putting it all on himself to dig us out of this mess and could do with a chance to make an impact off bench rather than spend 90 mins trying to win headers against a big centre half. 442 with width, swapping wings for Macallister and Dreyer.

Sent from my G8141 using Black and White Army mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I rate Jackson more highly than you do - but starting with Mullen and Nazon on Saturday is a good idea. Mullen is back fit and raring to go - he will hound Utd and hopefully tire them out a wee bit. Nazon needs game time for fitness and if he could pinch a goal it would be a huge boost to him and to us. Strikers need goals. Being able to bring on Jackson for the last 30 - 40 minutes would be a real lift.

I think the main priority is getting the midfield and full backs to defend better - like we are actually a team. . . :magic

I'd bring Paul McGinn into centre mid alongside Erhahon. The captain is toiling, fitness wise and Tansey is also lacking match fitness. The two I've suggested would provide energy and bite in the midfield, leaving the two new full backs to get up and down the flanks. Stick with the front two from last night and give them a chance to develop an understanding, while giving the Duck more minutes, while I'd go with McAllister and Dreyer in the wide positions, leaving Lyons and Mullen as impacy subs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopCat said:

 

 


We played an out of form St Johnstone and Hibs at home too and lost both of them.

Our next two league games are at Pittodrie and Tyndcastle - grounds we have terrible records at and two teams in decent form. Shall we write them off...?

We could very quickly be 6+ points adrift at the bottom of the league looking at the upcoming fixtures. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

 

 

Hibs were out of form, but St Johnstone weren't when we played them, i think we were their fifth away win in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

 

Oran says that the Duck played his 1st game in over 6 weeks with us last night - yes it showed, but that is the reality. Same for Mateo and Corbu too. They will get up to speed and match fitness once they get some more game time - just like Popescu has done.

Dreyer looks as if he is picking up the pace, although he does disappear too much at the moment - he contributed to our goal last night and gave McAllister a good chance.

Shooting practice in training all week - prizes for the best contribution in each game - get a bit of extra fun into training and on match days. It is a serious position we are in, but we need to do all we can to lift the spirits and to build confidence and a real team. Then when the chances start to go in and the midfield start to defend better we will see the progress and feel a whole lot better.

At the moment the Hares are running ahead, but we can slowly and deliberately catch up and win the big prize which is at stake. :magic

I think you need to go for a pint with elvis and see if your positivity can rub off on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I'd bring Paul McGinn into centre mid alongside Erhahon. The captain is toiling, fitness wise and Tansey is also lacking match fitness. The two I've suggested would provide energy and bite in the midfield, leaving the two new full backs to get up and down the flanks. Stick with the front two from last night and give them a chance to develop an understanding, while giving the Duck more minutes, while I'd go with McAllister and Dreyer in the wide positions, leaving Lyons and Mullen as impacy subs.

We can all surmise what Oran might do or how we personally would play it.

I don't see Paul as a CM - I would play him RM.  Unless Stephen is injured, I cannot see him being dropped. Oran also likes Lyons, so I expect he will play from the start - actually I would like to see him sit in front of the defence to see if he can tackle and break up attacks - but he also offers something going forward.  With him, Dreyer and McAllister along with 2 strikers, I think we are set up to be not defensively minded enough. So Could Erhahon step in - like you I would like to see it at some point, but not sure when the right time for this is... He has also been up field often when we are caught in the counter attacks. How is Tansey going to get match fitness if we don't play him?

I do think Oran has pushed the idea that we are to attack the opposition. But I don't think we cover back well enough. I think there is a great need for coaching around the role of full backs and the midfield in order that they play as a team and cover better for the inevitable attacks and especially when teams seem to hit us on the break after we lose possession in the last 3rd.

I also think if we have all our attack minded players on from the start, we are left with nothing to change things that way from the bench...

Unless we start to keep clean sheets and take our chances - it is going to be very tough going . . .  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think you need to go for a pint with elvis and see if your positivity can rub off on him.

Thanks for that thought - I am pretty sure you cannot teach an old dog new tricks though . . He was that negative last season and we were winning most weeks - so it is just the way he is wired - me, my wiring is very alternative to his . . .:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

We can all surmise what Oran might do or how we personally would play it.

I don't see Paul as a CM - I would play him RM.  Unless Stephen is injured, I cannot see him being dropped. Oran also likes Lyons, so I expect he will play from the start - actually I would like to see him sit in front of the defence to see if he can tackle and break up attacks - but he also offers something going forward.  With him, Dreyer and McAllister along with 2 strikers, I think we are set up to be not defensively minded enough. So Could Erhahon step in - like you I would like to see it at some point, but not sure when the right time for this is... He has also been up field often when we are caught in the counter attacks. How is Tansey going to get match fitness if we don't play him?

I do think Oran has pushed the idea that we are to attack the opposition. But I don't think we cover back well enough. I think there is a great need for coaching around the role of full backs and the midfield in order that they play as a team and cover better for the inevitable attacks and especially when teams seem to hit us on the break after we lose possession in the last 3rd.

I also think if we have all our attack minded players on from the start, we are left with nothing to change things that way from the bench...

Unless we start to keep clean sheets and take our chances - it is going to be very tough going . . .  :ph34r:

Paul McGinn has already in his career played right back, left back, centre back and right midfield - he would have no problem playing in the middle. He's a competitive player with the energy and stamina his brother lacks at the moment. Lyons is an attacking player, and is not defensively minded, evidenced by the way he failed to track the run for their winner. Much better in attacking areas.

Erhahon has already coped with being thrown in against Rangers out of position - he would have no problem going into his natural position and providing a more physical and energetic option in midfield. Tansey can pick up time off the bench - I would have no problem with him starting, but it seems he has already been singled out by a section of the support without much to back up their ire.

Agree re keeping some attacking threats on the bench - Mullen and Lyons for me, with Cooke hopefully back soon.

I'm expecting an improvement again on Saturday from the likes of Dreyer, McAllister and Lyons in attacking areas, with a wee bit more sharpness and movement from the Duck. More than anything, I am expecting us to win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Hibs were out of form, but St Johnstone weren't when we played them, i think we were their fifth away win in a row.

Don't highlight his nonsense - people might find out he's either clueless or a liar with an agenda...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Paul McGinn has already in his career played right back, left back, centre back and right midfield - he would have no problem playing in the middle. He's a competitive player with the energy and stamina his brother lacks at the moment. Lyons is an attacking player, and is not defensively minded, evidenced by the way he failed to track the run for their winner. Much better in attacking areas.

Erhahon has already coped with being thrown in against Rangers out of position - he would have no problem going into his natural position and providing a more physical and energetic option in midfield. Tansey can pick up time off the bench - I would have no problem with him starting, but it seems he has already been singled out by a section of the support without much to back up their ire.

Agree re keeping some attacking threats on the bench - Mullen and Lyons for me, with Cooke hopefully back soon.

I'm expecting an improvement again on Saturday from the likes of Dreyer, McAllister and Lyons in attacking areas, with a wee bit more sharpness and movement from the Duck. More than anything, I am expecting us to win.

 

All fair and reasonable. It is good to have a reasonable discussion on here and we can see how it pans out later also.

Strangely enough teams in relegation battles at times do well in cups. Don't know if it is relief playing a one-off match where it is a chance to take our minds off the pressures of the League or something else. So expecting a win is positive - I hope the team think that way too, but without being gung-ho caught up the park trying to make it happen and failing to defend properly.

My gut is we will draw after 90 minutes and that would mean a replay - but I am hoping we score the winner very late on, only IF we don't win by more than one goal.  :magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

All fair and reasonable. It is good to have a reasonable discussion on here and we can see how it pans out later also.

Strangely enough teams in relegation battles at times do well in cups. Don't know if it is relief playing a one-off match where it is a chance to take our minds off the pressures of the League or something else. So expecting a win is positive - I hope the team think that way too, but without being gung-ho caught up the park trying to make it happen and failing to defend properly.

My gut is we will draw after 90 minutes and that would mean a replay - but I am hoping we score the winner very late on, only IF we don't win by more than one goal.  :magic

I hope we win and keep the cup run going. If nothing else it gives the fans something else to cheer about, and it also means more games which can help the team to gel, and also provide a wee confidence boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×