Umbrella Companies

faraway saint

Has anyone been in the situation of being contracted and used an umbrella company?

I'm about to start a 6 month contract and have been given 2 widely varying figures on net pay from 2 umbrella companies.

One is considerably under what I would be earning in a normal employment situation, the other considerably above.

They also don't seem to offer holiday pay, which leaves me 3 weeks with, seemingly, no pay in the 6 month period.

I worked using an umbrella company not good experience wouldn't do it again..

Normally you do get paid more under them however you have no entitlement to holiday pay as you are in a roundabout way self employed and not an "employee".

I only work as a LTD company now much less hassle and your more covered.

I suppose it all depends on what you are doing and how much paperwork you want to do.

Just now, Svard svard said:

I worked using an umbrella company not good experience wouldn't do it again..

Normally you do get paid more under them however you have no entitlement to holiday pay as you are in a roundabout way self employed and not an "employee".

I only work as a LTD company now much less hassle and your more covered.

I suppose it all depends on what you are doing and how much paperwork you want to do.

Could you PM me, I'm not trusted to PM :lol: and prefer to keep some details private? 

I did a few years ago for a brief spell, I'm sure an umbrella company is the finance department (wages clerk) for agencies, 

iirc they give you options on how you would liked to be payed, either on a PAYE basis or you can settle your own Tax/NI 

when doing your Tax returns, this would probably be the answer to why your figures vary so much, also I'm pretty sure 

they all charge a fee for processing your wages as well some a lot more than others..

22 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I did a few years ago for a brief spell, I'm sure an umbrella company is the finance department (wages clerk) for agencies, 

iirc they give you options on how you would liked to be payed, either on a PAYE basis or you can settle your own Tax/NI 

when doing your Tax returns, this would probably be the answer to why your figures vary so much, also I'm pretty sure 

they all charge a fee for processing your wages as well some a lot more than others..

The 2nd quote is considerably higher than the first but, as they haven't given a detailed breakdown as yet, I can't see where the difference is coming from.

You could well be right about the tax. I've e-mailed them asking for a detailed breakdown. 

The 1st quote are taking 2 NI amounts, one for employer and another for employee, FFS! 

Umbrella companies are used solely for tax dodging purposes and serve no business use whatsoever. I can't believe they have not been shut down yet. :lol: 

Either go Ltd Co or go as an employee.

Honestly, the things people will do to try and avoid IR35 is unbelievable. 

Do things properly FFS.

Edited by oaksoft

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Umbrella companies are used solely for tax dodging purposes and serve no business use whatsoever. I can't believe they have not been shut down yet. :lol: 

Either go Ltd Co or go as an employee.

Honestly, the things people will do to try and avoid IR35 is unbelievable. 

Do things properly FFS.

I start in 2 weeks and I intend this to be my only position as a contractor so going LTD isn't worth the hassle.

I don't have the option to go as an employee as this was done through an agency.

Who said anything about dodging tax?

You are a walloper at times with your ability to jump to conclusions. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I start in 2 weeks and I intend this to be my only position as a contractor so going LTD isn't worth the hassle.

I don't have the option to go as an employee as this was done through an agency.

Who said anything about dodging tax?

You are a walloper at times with your ability to jump to conclusions. 

It's irrelevant how you feel about the hassle. There are legal ways to do things and there are dodgy as f**k ways to do things. Employee, sole trader, Ltd Co. Those are your choices. Pick one.

Umbrella companies are a tax dodge to avoid IR35. People only use them when they know they are going to be caught by that legislation. If you use it and get caught, don't come crying to me saying I didn't warn you.

Educate yourself before  you start calling other people wallopers.

Edited by oaksoft

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's irrelevant how you feel about the hassle. There are legal ways to do things and there are dodgy as f**k ways to do things. Employee, sole trader, Ltd Co. Those are your choices. Pick one.

Umbrella companies are a tax dodge to avoid IR35. People only use them when they know they are going to be caught by that legislation. If you use it and get caught, don't come crying to me saying I didn't warn you.

Educate yourself before  you start calling other people wallopers.

You are a walloper. 

To help you see highlighted area.

You know a lot about everything and nothing, that's well documented.

Now feck off, you're boring me.  :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You are a walloper. 

Good luck with the new job.

Don't forget to pay your taxes like every other law abiding citizen. :P

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You are a walloper. 

Seriously though, I do know what I am talking about. You may as well skim through this HMRC advice before you choose a company. If you are not Ltd Co or sole trader then by definition you must be an employee of someone. You said you are not going to be an employee so I think you need to take a moment here before you do something seriously f**king stupid.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/umbrella-companies-offering-to-increase-your-take-home-pay-spotlight-45

You will also be legally liable to tell HMRC that you are using a tax avoidance scheme such as this.

That will put a red flag against your name and you risk a compliance check. This you want to avoid at all possible costs.

Now if you will excuse me, I have my weekly accounts to sort out. We can't all afford accountants you know. :D

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

Seriously though, I do know what I am talking about. You may as well skim through this HMRC advice before you choose a company.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/umbrella-companies-offering-to-increase-your-take-home-pay-spotlight-45

From the link you supplied................."Most employment agencies and umbrella companies operate within the tax rules."

From your previous post...................." People only use them when they know they are going to be caught by that legislation"

Can you spot the difference?