Will you have to pay to park at work?

Bud the Baker

Motorists who drive to work could have to pay hundreds of pounds a year for a parking space under proposals in this year's Scottish budget.

The budget deal agreed between the Scottish government and Scottish Greens will allow councils to introduce a workplace parking levy (WPL).

I agree with the levy with one exception - the exemption for NHS staff, I note teachers are already asking for the same.. I have already written to my Councillor (my current MP is Conservative) that if NHS workers are exempted I will never vote SNP again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47089134

35 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Would you tax someone for parking for free on the street??

I pay for a permit to park outside my house WeeBud.

I guess that I was saying that some people may well already be paying tax on a benefit in kind. I don't like the idea of paying directly for parking but maybe tax as a benefit in kind would be more acceptable.  That way,  higher tax payers would pay more.

Just a thought to put forward for debate. I'm not wedded to it.

Just now, St.Ricky said:

I pay for a permit to park outside my house WeeBud.

I guess that I was saying that some people may well already be paying tax on a benefit in kind. I don't like the idea of paying directly for parking but maybe tax as a benefit in kind would be more acceptable.  That way,  higher tax payers would pay more.

Just a thought to put forward for debate. I'm not wedded to it.

I get what you are saying about "your" circumstances St Ricky but location and lack of parking will be a lot to do with that...…..my business runs in Inverclyde in an area where the town centre is already struggling and keeping businesses in the area is already difficult, taxing businesses for parking spaces when there is plenty of available "free" street parking would make it an even less attractive situation. 

Not in favour of this, as mentioned we already pay road tax, I work in Glasgow City Centre and it costs a fortune to take my car. Also I get that they are trying to promote using public transport etc but when public transport is so poor some people are forced to take their car.

Guest TPAFKATS

What if you need your car for work as opposed to just getting to work?
What if you park at different locations, particularly if these are in more than 1 Cooncil area?
Cooncil like Glasgow already make millions from charging workers to pay to park in city centre car parks, never mind park and ride.

As usual it's the cart before the horses, or in this case, the tax before the integrated transport infrastructure.