Parking Charge For Public Workers

Isle Of Bute Saint

24 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Up too £400 a year for public sector workers if local councils so wish.  Will this get more people out of cars or hurt the pockets of health staff, lecturers , teachers and so on ? 

It's not restricted to public sector workers it's ALL work place parking private or public sector. You may be confused as it will be administered by local authorities but it's not exclusive to that sectors employees. Will cover any workplace that has specific employee parking although until the actual draft regs are laid it's pretty vague

The entire central belt gridlocks every morning. Too many people in too many big cars. I reckon they should penalise anyone driving a car eight times bigger than it needs to be to carry a single person. Encourage people out of those laughably ridiculous 4x4 monstrosities that none of them fully own and reward those who have smaller cars. 

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The entire central belt gridlocks every morning. Too many people in too many big cars. I reckon they should penalise anyone driving a car eight times bigger than it needs to be to carry a single person. Encourage people out of those laughably ridiculous 4x4 monstrosities that none of them fully own and reward those who have smaller cars. 

There is a place for 4x4's when we stayed in Lochwinnoch you get out the village when snowed in or flooded. My wife always made her work going the A roads Lochwinnoch to Neilson during bad weather. People who live in towns I can understand to a certain extent thinking their children are safer in a bigger safer car.  Remember 4 x 4 owners pay substantially  more on road tax. Unless public transport comes down in price I can't see many getting out their cars. Don't think this has been thought out properly this is a back door way for councils to make up the short fall in funds in other words austerity is still kicking in thanks to the banks. 

57 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

There is a place for 4x4's when we stayed in Lochwinnoch you get out the village when snowed in or flooded. My wife always made her work going the A roads Lochwinnoch to Neilson during bad weather. People who live in towns I can understand to a certain extent thinking their children are safer in a bigger safer car.  Remember 4 x 4 owners pay substantially  more on road tax. Unless public transport comes down in price I can't see many getting out their cars. Don't think this has been thought out properly this is a back door way for councils to make up the short fall in funds in other words austerity is still kicking in thanks to the banks. 

4x4 owners SHOULD be paying substantially more tax. Nobody should be driving these monstrosities. By the way, there are almost no occasions where people in Lochwinnoch or anywhere else in the central belt are snowed in for more than a couple of days. It certainly doesn't happen often enough to warrant the vast number of these hideous monsters on the road. North of Perthshire I can see a case but not in mid Scotland. As for feeling safer. Maybe if people weren't inside such vast metal boxes they would drive with a bit more consideration.

Austerity has barely begun. The government is still spending more than it brings in.

To reduce congestion you need a massive expansion of Park and Ride for every major town and city. Then you need to gradually tax people out of their cars with significantly higher charges for larger cars. You could also charge people a daily tax for having only one person in their car. The technology for that already exists and is used in England. So car sharing, smaller daily commute cars and Park and Ride and huge increases in taxes should sort the congestion problem out and it will cut emissions as well. No chance of it happening though.

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

4x4 owners SHOULD be paying substantially more tax. Nobody should be driving these monstrosities. By the way, there are almost no occasions where people in Lochwinnoch or anywhere else in the central belt are snowed in for more than a couple of days. It certainly doesn't happen often enough to warrant the vast number of these hideous monsters on the road. North of Perthshire I can see a case but not in mid Scotland. As for feeling safer. Maybe if people weren't inside such vast metal boxes they would drive with a bit more consideration.

Austerity has barely begun. The government is still spending more than it brings in.

To reduce congestion you need a massive expansion of Park and Ride for every major town and city. Then you need to gradually tax people out of their cars with significantly higher charges for larger cars. You could also charge people a daily tax for having only one person in their car. The technology for that already exists and is used in England. So car sharing, smaller daily commute cars and Park and Ride and huge increases in taxes should sort the congestion problem out and it will cut emissions as well. No chance of it happening though.

Living out in the so called sticks I get having 4 x 4 personally I don't feel they are needed if you live in a town though I understand why families have them.

The rest of the post I agree with 100%

Giver us options then,  give us an integrated reliable public transport system, enable us to viably  commute then propose taxing us. Don't just accept this Green lobbyist gash in order to gain popular support to get the budget approved. Oh wait, in order to provide a decent reliable integrated transport system we need to increase the tax take.

If I didn't know better I'd suggest Patrick Harvie and his cohorts have car envy.

Get this stupid proposal binned, aherm, re cycled

12 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Giver us options then,  give us an integrated reliable public transport system, enable us to viably  commute then propose taxing us. Don't just accept this Green lobbyist gash in order to gain popular support to get the budget approved. Oh wait, in order to provide a decent reliable integrated transport system we need to increase the tax take.

If I didn't know better I'd suggest Patrick Harvie and his cohorts have car envy.

Get this stupid proposal binned, aherm, re cycled

We'll be waiting an awful long time........Successive Administrations have shamefully ignored the A9 ,and the A96 is a bad joke and it's taken until now for the Aberdeen by pass to 

be completed. Pretty damn good it is too. For me, roads and trains to and from Inverness are pants and hopelessly slow, especially trains. If you have lost the will to live you can

always go by Bus.....

We can but dream.

34 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

We'll be waiting an awful long time........Successive Administrations have shamefully ignored the A9 ,and the A96 is a bad joke and it's taken until now for the Aberdeen by pass to 

be completed. Pretty damn good it is too. For me, roads and trains to and from Inverness are pants and hopelessly slow, especially trains. If you have lost the will to live you can

always go by Bus.....

We can but dream.

That Inverness Aberdeen train route takes forever or should i say it feels like it. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Living out in the so called sticks I get having 4 x 4 personally I don't feel they are needed if you live in a town though I understand why families have them.

I lived in the country and ran 4x4s but since moving into town I have gone for something smaller. 

Due to change in about 18 months and will look seriously at Hybrid or Electric. 

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

This is nothing of the kind. Local Authorities look like they will merely be collecting the tax on behalf of the government. Again until the regs are laid it's vague but it sounds like it will work like business rates which councils collect but don't directly see that money, it all goes to a national pool. It's a green thing as far as I know so no doubt the greens will want it used for environmental purposes which I suppose given its their suggestion is fair enough if it has to happen at all.

Guest TPAFKATS
This is nothing of the kind. Local Authorities look like they will merely be collecting the tax on behalf of the government. Again until the regs are laid it's vague but it sounds like it will work like business rates which councils collect but don't directly see that money, it all goes to a national pool. It's a green thing as far as I know so no doubt the greens will want it used for environmental purposes which I suppose given its their suggestion is fair enough if it has to happen at all.
I don't think that's the case as it's up to the local council to decide whether to implement it or not. The parliament will only pass legislation to enable it.
No council is likely to vote for this if they don't get the benefit.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

I don't think that's the case as it's up to the local council to decide whether to implement it or not. The parliament will only pass legislation to enable it.
No council is likely to vote for this if they don't get the benefit.

If Councils get an option I don't think any will implement it and the SNP probably realise that. Might be how they circumvent this "concession" to the Greens. I also think if it is imposed monies raised are ring fenced for environmentally friendly use so it won't help Council finances much in the current climate. Let's be clear about this, it's being portrayed in the press as an SNP tax, but it's 100% a policy of the Greens that the SNP have had to reluctantly run with to get support for it's budget. I'm pretty sure the SNP wouldn't have chosen to go near this with a barge pole and I suspect the bill will be drafted in such a way that it probably will never see the light of day in the vast majority of Scottish LA areas.

Guest TPAFKATS
If Councils get an option I don't think any will implement it and the SNP probably realise that. Might be how they circumvent this "concession" to the Greens. I also think if it is imposed monies raised are ring fenced for environmentally friendly use so it won't help Council finances much in the current climate. Let's be clear about this, it's being portrayed in the press as an SNP tax, but it's 100% a policy of the Greens that the SNP have had to reluctantly run with to get support for it's budget. I'm pretty sure the SNP wouldn't have chosen to go near this with a barge pole and I suspect the bill will be drafted in such a way that it probably will never see the light of day in the vast majority of Scottish LA areas.
Yeah I can see that. Similar to ability to raise Council tax. Now they have it, they don't want to use it.
Also other opposition parties support this policy either locally at Council level or in england yet throw a tantrum in Parliament just to oppose. They also offered nothing constructive in budget negotiations.

23 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Personally I have never liked Chelsea tractors but oftentimes it isn't so much the vehicle that is the problem but the individual behind the wheel and it does now look like that on many Chelsea tractors,  indicators are optional.  .