Aberdeen and Hearts Away Feb 2019

St.Ricky

1 hour ago, magnus said:

Just watching Queen of the South making Aberdeen look pretty average after 20 minutes. We need to strap on a pair and get stuck right in about them when we go up there. Lets stop making Gary Mackay fekn Stephen look like Ronaldo. 

No longer. Aberdeen now 3..1 up.

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

(Pedant Alert)

You on about Popescu hitting the bar at 2-0 down? That doesn’t necessarily mean it would have ended 2-2. The Butterfly Effect. Might have won 3-2, lost 4-1, may well have ended 2-2. Can’t be sure. Things would have panned out differently anyway. The only time you can say it with some certainty is if it happens in injury time, with little time for events to change by much.

(Pedant Alert Over)

Pedant Reply 

You are so right but I can Dream. 

Pedant Reply Over

Aberdeen and Hearts enjoyed high scoring victories in the cup yesterday.  Aberdeen's Cosgrove kept up his goal scoring run which,  I think,  began in their last game against us.  Tough games coming up,  just what this league is all about.  Not for the faint hearted. 

Edited by St.Ricky

20 hours ago, magnus said:

Just watching Queen of the South making Aberdeen look pretty average after 20 minutes. We need to strap on a pair and get stuck right in about them when we go up there. Lets stop making Gary Mackay fekn Stephen look like Ronaldo. 

Yes, 20 minutes but we have yet to play well over 90 and over 90 QOS got thumped.

GMS is not Ronaldo, but he is pretty damned good. He has totally destroyed Coulson and others, so I am hoping Muzek gives him a tune that hurts from the off.

Cosgrove is a real handful too and N McGinn is creative and strong on the LW. Add in their midfield and defenders who roll up with goals and clean sheets and this is an uneven battle.

Best we can hope for is an unexpected result like Oran gave us in his 1st match in charge.  :spud7

Edited by Sweeper07

18 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Lets see in either these matches if we can stop conceding in first 10 mins. Isnt that why Stubbs got pumped ? Begining to look the reason we have 12 pts and not 5 is Adam Hamill. 

There are loads of reason Stubbs got pumped - he was an utter clusterfcuk.

Judging our 12 points on Hammill alone merely suggests that it was only his goals and assists that won us points. He was good my friend but there were another 10 players on the park who helped us to these results too. 

Let's see how the team are playing against Livi and hopefully we will see a number of players shinning and producing the points more often from then on.

19 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

There are loads of reason Stubbs got pumped - he was an utter clusterfcuk.

Judging our 12 points on Hammill alone merely suggests that it was only his goals and assists that won us points. He was good my friend but there were another 10 players on the park who helped us to these results too. 

Let's see how the team are playing against Livi and hopefully we will see a number of players shinning and producing the points more often from then on.

I so hope your right, because bar shooting from our own half we havent shown a lot of attacking promise...... recently

My point all along re Stubbs/ OK is that that is who the BOD appointed , looking at the transformation of Accies a lot of it appears to be mindset...........

I do admit our fixtures have been tough post xmas, I just wonder how the guys will be after two very tough away matches.......

I cant share your optimism but as always with Saints I support in hope 

25 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yes, 20 minutes but we have yet to play well over 90 and over 90 QOS got thumped.

GMS is not Ronaldo, but he is pretty damned good. He has totally destroyed Coulson and others, so I am hoping Muzek gives his a tune that hurts from the off.

Cosgrove is a real handful too and NMcGinn is creative and strong on the LW. Add in their midfield and defenders who roll up with goals and clean sheets and this is an uneven battle.

Best we can hope for is an unexpected result like Oran gave us in his 1st match in charge.  :spud7

Can't see us taking anything from Aberdeen or Hearts the next game is at home against Livingstone that's the game we must win. From that game we will know whether we can swim or not. Personally I would play a defence set up against Aberdeen and Hearts.  

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can't see us taking anything from Aberdeen or Hearts the next game is at home against Livingstone that's the game we must win. From that game we will know whether we can swim or not. Personally I would play a defence set up against Aberdeen and Hearts.  

I go with your assessment regarding Aberdeen.  They are very consistent,  playing well and scoring goals.  Not as sure about Hearts.  They were impressive early in the season,  lost their way but now back to winning ways.  But... Defensive but not too deep for me in both games.  Then Livvy. Big game. 

5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I so hope your right, because bar shooting from our own half we havent shown a lot of attacking promise...... recently

My point all along re Stubbs/ OK is that that is who the BOD appointed , looking at the transformation of Accies a lot of it appears to be mindset...........

I do admit our fixtures have been tough post xmas, I just wonder how the guys will be after two very tough away matches.......

I cant share your optimism but as always with Saints I support in hope 

Given that you agree our fixtures haven't been the easiest recently and that we are still pulling a team together having signed 10 new players (and with significant injuries too), I think we have shown more attacking promise. We have not as yet taken enough of our chances, but we scored 3 against Alloa and 1 against Utd, Well and Hibs -  we also  hit the woodwork twice against Utd. Against Well Dreyer had the keeper to beat and McAllister skied a shot over the bar with the goals at his mercy.

Against Utd we had 14 shots,    6 on target

Against Well we had 9 shots,  4 on target

Against Hibs we had 9 shots,   3 on target

If you go back to 2018, there were games we were not making 2 or 3 shots on goal during the entire match.

There is no need to share my optimism - but we both want to see things improve and if they do we will both be delighted . . .. :D

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Given that you agree our fixtures haven't been the easiest recently and that we are still pulling a team together having signed 10 new players (and with significant injuries too), I think we have shown more attacking promise. We have not as yet taken enough of our chances, but we scored 3 against Alloa and 1 against Utd, Well and Hibs -  we also  hit the woodwork twice against Utd. Against Well Dreyer had the keeper to beat and McAllister skied a shot over the bar with the goals at his mercy.

Against Utd we had 14 shots,    6 on target

Against Well we had 9 shots,  4 on target

Against Hibs we had 9 shots,   3 on target

If you go back to 2018, there were games we were not making 2 or 3 shots on goal during the entire match.

There is no need to share my optimism - but we both want to see things improve and if they do we will both be delighted . . .. :D

I haven't checked all three but in two at least we also had the bulk of possession.  I think we also spent more time in the opposition half than our opponents .

These are both further improvements which added to making more shots on goal and on target give me hope. 

Teams have taken to playing us by hitting on the break however and our failings in not picking up midfield runners has cost us dearly. 

Improve that and we do have hope. 

On 2/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Stubbs was punted after 9 games, Rae 11 games into the 16/17 season (6 league games) - after the Livi game should be time enough to get a sense of whether OKs revamped team is an improvement of what we had before the break,

I don't want or expect OK to be fired at the end of the month but you have to set a target for the season - as I've said before if we were relegated via the play-offs I'd give OK a chance in the Championship, likewise if we finish bottom but are only relegated on say the final day I'd probably feel the same but if we're relegated before the split then I'd not have much confidence in him building a succesful team for the Championship. In the last case would you trust him with the remainder of the McGinn windfall?

How would you feel if,  by any chance,  we won two of the three league games in February? 

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

How would you feel if,  by any chance,  we won two of the three league games in February? 

Well that would presumably lift us off bottom spot and greatly reduce the chances of us being relegated before the split, which would please me immensely, but it wouldn't actually change the opinions quoted previously. 

FWIW avoiding relegation was the target I said should be set for JR at approximately the same stage in the 2016/17 season and I said something similar about Gary Teale before his disasterous double-header against Ross County & Well just prior to the split in 2014/15 - I'm remarkably consistent in what I want from St. Mirren managers! :)

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well that would presumably lift us off bottom spot and greatly reduce the chances of us being relegated before the split, which would please me immensely, but it wouldn't actually change the opinions quoted previously. 

Fair comment Bud.  We all have our own opinions and arë entitled to them. 

GMS is not Ronaldo, but he is pretty damned good. He has totally destroyed Coulson and others, so I am hoping Muzek gives him a tune that hurts from the off.
Cosgrove is a real handful too and N McGinn is creative and strong on the LW. Add in their midfield and defenders who roll up with goals and clean sheets and this is an uneven battle.
And Greg Stewart is back there too. Dons have some pretty good options. At least ours are improving though, but probably not fast enough for us to take anything from this match.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:33 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

Second half performance ? We played against a Championship team with 10 men for 2/3 or the second half and we still couldn’t even get level.
The problem is we seem unable to sustain performances , if we can’t perform for most of 90 minutes we will be punished.

You must be a bit happier after today's performance at Aberdeen. 

Edited by St.Ricky