St Mirren v the West Lothian criminals

Hendo

Ufff, surely time to introduce some better moderation on this forum? Stick these fuds in the sin bin that just want to insult players & other posters on here.

The main thing from yesterday is we picked up a vital three points. The defence looks solid, and we ground out a victory. Grinding out a few ugly wins is exactly what is needed to avoid relegation. Ask Big Sam......or Wee Gus!

Kearney summed it up well after the game;

"I told the players it wasn’t pretty, it was ugly, but we got three points and they should get ready for another ten games like this. That is what this time of the season is all about."

We do need to be honest and admit the performance wasn't great. We struggled to get any passing movements going forwards, and thats mainly down to lack of quality with certain players causing moves to break down.

We will need very good luck with injuries in order to stay up. McAllister, Lyons and Magennis would all be major improvements on the starting line-up today.

Our main problem is that Kearney wants to use Nazron to play long ball, but the duck isn't showing anything to suggest he is good enough to get us goals. He had plenty of space today and a few good chances, a decent striker would have put a couple away. Simeon Jackson is a much better player but doesn't have the strength to hold the ball up like the duck. If we can keep the ball on the deck though he is much more dangerous, as shown by our winner! Dreyer was a complete passenger, looks very lightweight. We've got to hope McAllister stays fit! If not, then Lyons can hopefully play that role.

The second big problem is that we haven't got a proper left back. Erhanon would surely have been a better option than MacPherson in the middle of the park today, but he is stuck out at left back where he is doing his best but not really able to create much going forward. 

The defence is much more solid now though. Earlier in the season we would have lost a goal to a corner or free kick and not taken three points. Popescu is on his way to winning player of the season. Baird put in a good shift. Flynn protected the defence well, and got himself up the park in the last minute for the goal, well played!

We are back in with a shout of moving up the table. I hope Kearney works on a system to get Jackson back leading the line for this next round of games.

The good thing about yesterday was the way we stood up to the aerial threat, they had loads of set pieces especially in the first half and only created one genuine chance from them. Still think we can play much better, but a lot of that was down to the weather.

Dani, I don’t know if you were at the game today, but if you weren’t, don’t listen to the 3 or 4 nuggets on here who said we played badly. We didn’t.
No mate I didn't make the game as I had to fly back home as the match kicked off. When I flew over the stadium at 3pm in sheeting rain I felt for the Buddies down below.
The point is at this stage of the season it doesn't matter how we win and negative views on a victory are strange to say the least. I want St Mirren to play exciting expansive football but I'm not going to get hamstrung about winning ugly. Hope you had a great night out on the town celebrating after the game bud.[emoji469]

18 hours ago, foxbar_bud said:

Surprised so many are criticising the performance. First half we played into the wind and we still didn’t give much away.2nd half the conditions were atrocious. We done well to dig in against a well drilled team

I’ve probably been been one of his biggest critics but today I thought Ryan Flynn put in a lot of graft and took the goal well.

McGinn looked really immobile, definitely not 100%

Fantastic win and 5 points from the last 3 games is great going.

Possibly, but didn't help that nearly every time he tried to pass the ball a Livi player was kicking lumps out him, and not getting the fouls. I actually thought he played alright, especially if not 100%

On train home after a night in Paisley and little regard to the drink responsibly campaign.

3 points well earned and the momentum continues is the big positive which out weighs all the negatives some people on here are spouting.

Maybe we should start a post responsibly campaign on the forum.
I'll drink to that but maybe not too responsibly.

COYS. see you all next Monday. Ya moaning faced .......

3 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Possibly, but didn't help that nearly every time he tried to pass the ball a Livi player was kicking lumps out him, and not getting the fouls. I actually thought he played alright, especially if not 100%

I reckon the opposition know that McGinn makes the team tick. Kick lumps out of him and you are half way to a result. Yesterday Stephen was hobbling badly after yet another assault on him but he manfully ran it off although he looked in severe pain.

29 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I reckon the opposition know that McGinn makes the team tick. Kick lumps out of him and you are half way to a result. Yesterday Stephen was hobbling badly after yet another assault on him but he manfully ran it off although he looked in severe pain.

Totally agree with that , and up to very recently we haven't had options on the bench to replace him , think we are steadily improving.

57 minutes ago, Sonny said:

He was hobbling badly after his own dreadful challenge

It's funny how out of touch this place has become with the St Mirren fans I see and hear after every game. After the match all I saw was smiling, happy fans. Everyone I spoke to was delighted with the win and the way the team dug it out. Everyone agreed we deserved to win (because we did). Then you come on here and within minutes of the game ending the team and manager are being slated. No wonder there are fewer and fewer people posting on here.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

That was absolutely fantastic from Simeon Jackson. Great piece of individual work to keep the ball and get the shot off. Good to see Ryan reacting quickly after the shot was taken to get onto the rebound.

Don't be daft.

It was a "speculative shot".:lol

19 minutes ago, norman said:

It's funny how out of touch this place has become with the St Mirren fans I see and hear after every game. After the match all I saw was smiling, happy fans. Everyone I spoke to was delighted with the win and the way the team dug it out. Everyone agreed we deserved to win (because we did). Then you come on here and within minutes of the game ending the team and manager are being slated. No wonder there are fewer and fewer people posting on here.

It's one thing to have opinions on how we could do better. Of course it is. But at least acknowledge 3 points won in a hard fought contest in conditions that were terrible for both teams.  Plenty of positives, the most important of which was 3 points in the bag.

1 hour ago, norman said:

I must state SOME are out of touch. Majority on here are hardened Saints fans. Yesterday we showed we can win ugly against a big ugly team. Very pleasing and encouraging. 

What on the earth is the 'keeper thinking with that first Livi chance? A simple ball to collect and he has teed it up for them.

Great pass for Erhanon to set up Nazron. We really should be giving him a chance in the middle of the park, that's the type of play we are missing in there.

Great play from Jackson for the goal. He must start against Killie surely!

What on the earth is the 'keeper thinking with that first Livi chance? A simple ball to collect and he has teed it up for them.
Great pass for Erhanon to set up Nazron. We really should be giving him a chance in the middle of the park, that's the type of play we are missing in there.
Great play from Jackson for the goal. He must start against Killie surely!

Mibbee he’s thinking “ WTF !! Why haven’t any of the three defenders in from of me cleared this ?
( but , to be fair, I thought he should have done better with it. )

On 3/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, elvis said:

Sitting in Jay bees with the whole Livy support ten of them lol. 

So....  seriously....  is JBs still a functioning pub?

I’d assumed with the supporters club gone from there it had shut up shop....

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

From all I heard on wireless (and read online) there were ferocious gusty blasts of wind.

treacherous?  So well dealt with?

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

So....  seriously....  is JBs still a functioning pub?

I’d assumed with the supporters club gone from there it had shut up shop....

Nope still there and just found out they run a Celtic bus.