Merged: All The Oran Kearney Threads

TopCat

Guest TPAFKATS
Tony is no different than Bomber Brown, Alas Rae, Tom Boyd, Willie Miller etc, all ex players who loved the club's they played for but being the CEO of the club, i think not. As for Gus, early days but still looked like a job for his pal to me.
I'm sure Willie Miller was the equivalent of chief executive of Aberdeen at some point. Not saying he was any better than Tony though.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Does anyone on here actually know the fundamentals of St Mirren's contract with OK ?

Would splitting with OK (should it happen on the basis that he is unwilling to relocate from Ireland) be an expensive exercise in terms of compo ? Or would it amount to both parties ripping up the contract without consequences ?

Oran took a years leave from his teaching job , that was reported when he joined the club , wonder if his contract has a break clause inserted.

6 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Managers come and go as do players but right now we need this sorted asap. I can't help but think Gus is waiting in the wings. He certainly splits the support but despite his brand of football he was good at keeping the club up. 

Back in the day I was ecstatic when Gus was pumped out because of his boring ultra-defensiveness. He bored us all to death with his anti-entertainment team formations.

F*ck being told to go to the pictures if you want to be entertained !!!

Since then has his management style changed ? Well who knows, but I really hope it has because I have a feeling that he is going to be in charge again at Greenhill Road before too long.

And if that does happen we need to sort this out immediately to get ourselves a settled squad in place before the season begins. We must fix up a settled team formation ASAP because you can bet your arsehole that Ross County, Hamilton and Livingston will be well prepared and ready to zoom from the opening games of the new season and we could easily be left adrift after half a dozen fixtures.

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Oran has gone Jim Goodwin & Peter Houston in bound. Love Goodwin but this stinks. 

Seen that on Facebook earlier, but tbf I’ve seen quite a few rumours this past day and a half so until the club comment I’m taking everything with a pinch of salt.

If they ever comment that is 😂

Funny that they are quick to condemn fans based on hearsay in statements but when the shoes on the other foot it’s all hush hush.

Goodwin isn't imminently  incoming for f**k sake. At least not to the stage it is a 'done deal'. This isn't even speculation, its just common sense. 

Alloa would have absolutely 100% commented on their website that they'd accepted an approach from St. Mirren. That in turn would have confirmed OK was gone from us and been widely reported. 

None of that has happened, so if Goodwin is a done deal, we've illegally tapped him up and offered him terms which he's accepted without the permission fo his current club and we are, therefore totally f**ked. 

Common sense dictates it's a load of shite. Common sense has long since departed this station though. :lol:

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Does anyone on here actually know the fundamentals of St Mirren's contract with OK ?

Would splitting with OK (should it happen on the basis that he is unwilling to relocate from Ireland) be an expensive exercise in terms of compo ? Or would it amount to both parties ripping up the contract without consequences ?

No but probably depends on the behaviour of both OK and the Club. Both sides likely have to behave in a reasonable manner. The soundbites post the United victory indicated a workable compromise had been reached. If the Club were considered to have subsequently been undermining OK on the transfer front or lining up a replacement manager then all bets could be off.

Edited by magnus

If he goes then he goes. If it's a commuting or family decision then so be it. If it's due to him being undermined in his job or a lack of finances then the next manager will be working under the same conditions. Oran seems a decent guy, kept us up against the odds and I wish him well

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Back in the day I was ecstatic when Gus was pumped out because of his boring ultra-defensiveness. He bored us all to death with his anti-entertainment team formations.

F*ck being told to go to the pictures if you want to be entertained !!!

I’m kinda fed up pointing this out, but....

Gus never actually was the one who came out with that.  However, he DID suggest some Buddie whingers might be better listening to the then Kilmarnock manager’s suggestion.

And I wholeheartedly agreed with him.  :)

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

Let’s be honest Gus never recovered from the LC final against Oldco. 

For me... can’t argue with that.  :(

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin isn't imminently  incoming for f**k sake. At least not to the stage it is a 'done deal'. This isn't even speculation, its just common sense. 

Alloa would have absolutely 100% commented on their website that they'd accepted an approach from St. Mirren. That in turn would have confirmed OK was gone from us and been widely reported. 

None of that has happened, so if Goodwin is a done deal, we've illegally tapped him up and offered him terms which he's accepted without the permission fo his current club and we are, therefore totally f**ked. 

Common sense dictates it's a load of shite. Common sense has long since departed this station though. :lol:

Skulduggery, you say?

That would indeed be impossible, wouldn't it?

Well this is certainly going to be a big test of the supposed "stability" Gus has brought to the club.

These rumours have been going on for a long time now, they do destabilise the club, and I can see why GS would put down an ultimatum to Kearney to move over full time to Scotland. I can also fully understand and respect Kearney not wanting to take his kids out of school for a job where a bad run of results can see him out the door by Xmas.

As regards to Gus or the board "undermining the manager'? What exactly did people think the DoF role and the talk of the "moneyball" model would mean? It has been stated that any player should be scouted and watched multiple times before being signed. Did you really expect the club to employ Gus full time to oversee this & then let the manager just sign whoever he wants?

The manager & assistant manager need to fit in to the culture of the club, not the other way round.

I've been fairly critical of him until now but I would probably back Gordon Scott here. If OK is going to commit to St Mirren and buy in to how we are trying to structure the club then great. If not, then get him out the door and ask Goodwin or a similarly talented young manager to come in.

I am a bit more concerned pre season is about to start and we haven't brought any players in. Whits happened to the Moneyball?

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

We must fix up a settled team formation ASAP because you can bet your arsehole that Ross County, Hamilton and Livingston will be well prepared and ready to zoom from the opening games of the new season and we could easily be left adrift after half a dozen fixtures.

That sounds vaguely familiar .... 

I know there is a fair bit of speculation that if Kearney is toast, then Goody is lined up to replace him. All i would point out is the continued reluctance of decent managers to entertain taking on the job at our club when it appears the board are worse than useless, chasing unicorns, will be on manager Number 5 in three seasons and provide a budget that saw us shopping non league players last summer.

Goodwin has already turned this board down once, has anything positive happened/changed in the interim that might make him consider the job again? Just saying like, the board have made the job a poison chalice!