Merged: All The Oran Kearney Threads

TopCat

1 hour ago, ironsaints87 said:

We’re forgetting the blame lies with his wife, it’s always a woman’s fault.. she’s demanding he’s home every evening by 6 with his dinner on the table for him. Lucky man emoji57.png

If he is happy with his family life and two secure jobs in Northern Ireland then fair enough. As you say, he is luckier than most.

We'll all look back fondly on the time a drillie from Norn Iron came over to keep us in the premier league then returned to his packed lunch in the staff room.

I get the family thing but you have to wonder about Oran's professional sanity down the line. What will be going through his mind when he's putting away the badminton nets or berating a wean for not bringing in his PE kit when, if he'd kept his mouth shut, he could have been preparing us for a trip to Parkhead or whatever?

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

If he wants to be St Mirren manager, of course.

^^^^^This , in a nutshell^^^^

Both parties can offer up all the excuses, the commute, the domestic home sickness, the implied and subsequently broken promises about relocation etc. etc. etc. Its a two way street here, no doubt both parties have failed to deliver the desired outcome, that is plainly obvious.

Whether OK has been 'turned' and his domestic situation dominated his motivations and the fact that Coleraine are hanging about, well it would be tempting for OK to 'play his hand'. Similarly have St Mirren fecked it up once more with another ultimately failing managerial appointment.

It just looks like another Manager has taken to the pitch at season end with a microphone, fired out a few patronising and disingenuous sound bites, then worked the ol ticket !!

No one knows the straw that broke the camels back in this instance, frankly it's done, the trust would appear to be away, so the basis of a sound working relationship is lost

It's frankly a pish state of affairs once again, but as above says, can we get someone in who wants to do the job, can work within the constraints both budget and that their contract imposes and get on with the feckin job.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It doesn't matter who it is.

Journalistic integrity says you interview both and quote directly where possible.

Not if it's in the hands of lawyers as mentioned in the article. Need to be careful in quoting anyone whilst a legal matter is in progress.

3 minutes ago, Jrok said:

With the stv and sun now reporting lawyers involved in thrashing out a deal between club and soon to be ex manager it's all very disappointing. No one comes out of this smelling of rose's.
It's hard being a buddie sometimes.

You do wonder why this couldn't all have been settled amicably. If Oran did find living away from home too difficult, I think we'd have all understood, thanked him for his work and the friendly this weekend could have gone ahead. Real shame for it to end with bad feeling.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

You do wonder why this couldn't all have been settled amicably. If Oran did find living away from home too difficult, I think we'd have all understood, thanked him for his work and the friendly this weekend could have gone ahead. Real shame for it to end with bad feeling.

Money.

4 minutes ago, Hendo said:

It just all starts to read like St Mirren are being played now, all hidden behind the exception being taken about professionalism and commitment and family constraints.

Clearly a daily commute is a piss take, the job does not allow for that in all practical senses, OK would know that, if indeed that was a genuine factor. 

Then there is the Coleraine element at play.

His teaching job allegedly still available

All beginning to look like a very disingenuous squabble has been engineered.

Lawyers, pay off ffs, well, that's it truly soured now.

14 minutes ago, Jrok said:

With the stv and sun now reporting lawyers involved in thrashing out a deal between club and soon to be ex manager it's all very disappointing. No one comes out of this smelling of rose's.
It's hard being a buddie sometimes.

That it is forum friend, that it is indeed,

With last season finishing on such a spectacular high and with Mr Kearney at the helm I was guilty of allowing myself some optimism with regard to the forthcoming season.

Well it now appears everything has once again been Royally f**ked up.  As the days trickle by and better run clubs are working the transfer market we are falling out with yet another manager.  As fans are being asked to fork out hard earned money for season tickets the best the club can offer is yet more internal strife. 

Once again as things look to be taking an up turn our club turns everything to pish.  Well done to all involved, well done indeed.

I admit to feeling gutted when this story first broke, but don't think things are as bad as I first thought. Concerns that the board were being unreasonable have been allayed, we're in a better place than when OK first came in, and we seem to be making signings, which didn't happen after Jack left.

Get the right man in (Goody), and the positivity will return quickly I reckon.

14 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

It just all starts to read like St Mirren are being played now, all hidden behind the exception being taken about professionalism and commitment and family constraints.

Clearly a daily commute is a piss take, the job does not allow for that in all practical senses, OK would know that, if indeed that was a genuine factor. 

Then there is the Coleraine element at play.

His teaching job allegedly still available

All beginning to look like a very disingenuous squabble has been engineered.

Lawyers, pay off ffs, well, that's it truly soured now.

He was asked by the media prior to our two playoff games about the Coleraine vacancy and he didn't really deny any interest, or show any sorts of indication that this is where he wanted to be long term. He said at the time, my main focus is these two playoff games. 

From the newspapers today, its revealed his old PE job is still open for another 3 months and tying that in with the vacancy at Coleraine, you can't help but think he would want to return to that and think the only way he can have anywhere near close to that family time over here, is to ask to commute daily, which i completely stand with board on this one. It is completely unreasonable at club level to have that flexibility. 
People can compare the commute in duration all they like with mainland ones, though this is completely different and would most likely restrict a lot of the work that is required of a fulll-time football manager. 

Being a family man myself, I can completely understand OK must be finding it difficult with time away from his wife and kids and respect he is putting family first, though it doesnt seem to have ended in a nice way.

I think GS has every right to question the manager he employs about long-term commitment. It says that after requesting a daily commute he came to a compromise of a couple of days a week again, though, that clearly showed he would first and foremost wish to travel home more often rather than think to settling here permanently.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If there is any truth in OK asking to commute every day then that is a different matter but we have absolutely no proof of that right now.

I take your point completely about quotes, etc (I was a journalist in a previous life and we'd never have run anything without a quote, and offering right of reply was compulsory too) - but I think that narrative does seem to be the most plausible of everything that's come out so far. 

As a human being with a wife and a young son, I can completely empathise with Oran. Hell, I pretty much refuse to even work late any more as it cuts into time with my boy. Hard to underestimate the strain that being away that much would put on your family as a whole. 

I think what we're seeing is that Oran has reached the end of his safety net - his former school wanted a decision either way, Coleraine had kept the job open but couldn't for much longer. Do you continue breaking your balls for your football career or do you continue with the life that you were basically enjoying just fine before St Mirren started sniffing around last summer? Money and renown aren't everything.

My views as a St Mirren fan may differ slightly, as follows... :ph34r:

Spoiler

I think, on balance, it looks like he is trying to play the game to get a pay-off. He wouldn't have got one had he opted to walk away, so he's engaged in a bit of brinkmanship. Say what you want about GLS - and a lot of people seem to be doing so - but being as plainly logical as possible, he's not daft enough to be trying to force out a manager who was that popular with fans and players alike. He is looking after St Mirren first and foremost. Sure, he's made mistakes, but I think some people have been very quick to grab their pitchforks here.

I'm not bothered about Kearney going. He is an average manager. I thought he would resign after the play offs as he clearly wasn't fully committed. It's the timing that bugs me. Leaves us scampering around to put a team together. Yet another manager telling the fans how wonderful they are  leaving us in the lurch. Remember Jack Ross. At least Stubbs shite as he was didn't kid on he was interested. We cannot mess around recruiting by considering applications. We need to appoint now. Probably McPherson if Goodwin is too difficult. 

I believe, for once, we are not at fault.

Oran wanted a year in the big playground. He had it.

But it finished in May and he should have returned to his Teaching Job and Coleraine FC then.

No way should there be an additional pay off.

He done his stint and was paid what he was due.

Is there an Agent lurking, being a greedy cnut  ?

Give him feck all, Gordon.

9 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Oran is quite clever here bad enough twice weekly trips to NI but to turn this into a daily commute is frankly outrageous wouldn’t pay him a penny in compo he is going back to teaching and will most certainly be Colraine manager very clever chappie.

If what is said is true then Oran should be paying St Mirren compo.

It would appear everyone wants,thinks Goody will come home? I hope he does. But if he doesn't we are in big trouble again, advertising for a new manager, due diligence and all that, season starts in three weeks and we don't have a manager or enough players to fill a team it's not right.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

No it isn't. We are talking about football, not curing cancer.

No job is 24/7. Not even "virtually".

The man is entitled to a couple of down days a week and no employer has the right to interfere in what he does during that time unless it is affecting his work the other 5 days (and I don't mean trivial things like missing out on scouting a match - he would have to be working two 18 hours shifts and then turning up to work on the red eye and falling asleep during training).

What is your fascination with Cancer. Very inappropiate link. Oran took this job on.... he chooses to live in NI. And a successful coach eats and sleeps football. If he wants family then he never should have left his last job.

3 minutes ago, Jrok said:

It would appear everyone wants,thinks Goody will come home? I hope he does. But if he doesn't we are in big trouble again, advertising for a new manager, due diligence and all that, season starts in three weeks and we don't have a manager or enough players to fill a team it's not right.

Not everyone wants.

If what is being said is true and he does want to travel back and forward everyday, then that does change everything i feel. I just wonder how he could afford to pay for a daily commute with the wages we would be paying him. He certainly shouldn't be getting a playoff. Maybe the club should put him on gardening leave knowing the 2 jobs in Ireland aren't going to be there for long and force his hand.

What is your fascination with Cancer. Very inappropiate link. Oran took this job on.... he chooses to live in NI. And a successful coach eats and sleeps football. If he wants family then he never should have left his last job.
As you said, why did he want the job in the 1st place ?

1 minute ago, renfrew said:

If what is being said is true and he does want to travel back and forward everyday, then that does change everything i feel. I just wonder how he could afford to pay for a daily commute with the wages we would be paying him. He certainly shouldn't be getting a playoff. Maybe the club should put him on gardening leave knowing the 2 jobs in Ireland aren't going to be there for long and force his hand.

Nah, he's had his play off victory, but he's gonna lose his pay off