Merged: All The Oran Kearney Threads

TopCat

Jim Goodwin is my choice. Has done, with Alloa, a similar sort of job to that which he'd be tasked with here. He took a club on a much smaller budget than their rivals and made them hard to beat, while also playing decent football. He's also a club legend which is a bonus. 

Just give it to him, if he'll take it. 

Tony should not be going on holiday at such an important time. He should be going during the season. Clearly he cannot be sacked while taking an authorised holiday but incompetence is the stuff of disciplinary action

This situation has been rumbling on for a while and should have been nipped in the bud right after the playoffs. If it meant Kearney going then so be it. Incompetent management. 

I'm not bothered that Kearney has gone. I am concerned about our ability to act sensibly now. We cant undo what is done but we can act to minimise damage. Not convinced we are up to the challenge. 

If nothing else this does show the need to have a competent CEO. I know the incumbent is a super guy with St. Mirren blood in his veins. That doesn't make a good CEO although some on here seem to think that's what's required. Let's waken up. 

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

And yet you did. 🤣🤣

Both have part time/ amateur players in them. What likely massive difference are you expecting? 

Also their very best players always do so well agains our L1/ L2 reserves don’t they? 

Edited by bazil85

Just now, stlucifer said:

Usual abuse when you lose an discussion. Oh well. So much for grown up talk. Shame really.

You can't deny you are talking complete nonsense here. Kearney was a P.E teacher and part time coach, never played at a decent level. Goodwin has served a great apprenticeship at Alloa, kept them up in the Championship while playing good attacking football and we know him to be a tremendous leader and communicator.

Yet you are laughing at people for suggest Goodwin is as ready to be our manager as Kearney was?

You are trolling and looking for attention.

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Both have part time/ amateur players in them. What likely massive difference are you expecting? 

Also their very best players always do so well agains our L1/ L2 reserves don’t they? 

1) I didn't say there was a massive difference. (ETA. I didn't even say the Irish league was superior to L1. Just NOT inferior).

2) I don't remember it being L1/L2 reserves.

3) I don't know if the Irish teams played their top players.

4) You still haven't addressed the fact that OK had more than double the years of experience.

Edited by stlucifer

Ehh lol so what the board aren’t allowed to say Oran asked to commute daily but we didn’t think that was right so we made a compromise to continue what was already happening with twice a week commutes which we then questioned Oran’s commitment to the club

Well, I’m no employment lawyer (like Lookatme) but if this ends up being a compromise agreement then I’d guess the real story won’t be told by either party so saying nothing is probably best.

23 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

4) You still haven't addressed the fact that OK had more than double the years of experience.

You only want to pick from managers that have over 7 years experience yet haven't made it higher than our level yet then?

Going to be a great pool of successful candidates out there fitting that criteria...

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

You only want to pick from managers that have over 7 years experience yet haven't made it higher than our level yet then?

Going to be a great pool of successful candidates out there fitting that criteria...

No. I know this will be hard for you to comprehend but I was comparing one to the other. NOT gauging worth solely by length of career. IF you wish to engage in the debate at least read ALL the conversation.

Just now, stlucifer said:

No. I know this will be hard for you to comprehend but I was comparing one to the other. NOT gauging worth solely by length of career. IF you wish to engage in the debate at least read ALL the conversation.

And why are you comparing one to the other if the comparison is irrelevant then?

Regularly got slated for stating the communications from the club are shambolic

We find out snippets of info on here which ultimately lead to the truth , long before the club finally catches up with fans social media & the national media

It’s shameful really, despite the many claims this aspect of the club would be resolved under the new regime

Anyway, not fussed that OK is leaving but nonetheless, grateful for his contribution in our survival

30 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

1) I didn't say there was a massive difference. (ETA. I didn't even say the Irish league was superior to L1. Just NOT inferior).

2) I don't remember it being L1/L2 reserves.

3) I don't know if the Irish teams played their top players.

1. So a manager that nailed L1 on a smaller budget than many of his rivals then survived at a higher level should be ready for a similar step up to say a well performing Irish league manager? 

2. In the challenge cup L1 & L2 teams have been known to rest players & as someone stated an Irish league team struggled to beat a team below L2 level 

3. See previous point, even if they don’t you aren’t validating your point at all here that JG isn’t ready to step up 

4. I’m not denying it so why should I need to address it? OK has more managerial experience at an accepted lower level. JG has taken every managerial challenge given to him like a boss at Alloa & natural progression would be to a bigger team, if not St Mirren who do you thinks his next club? 

You haven’t acknowledged JG vastly more knowledge of Scottish football, does that hold no relevance but more experience at low level management does... double standards. 

Edit: who would you want instead? JG likely to be only name that hasn’t been sacked before 

Edited by bazil85

52 years of devotion to the cause. Tomorrow SMISA and club direct debits being cancelled. Every business depends on its customers/shareholders/followers. This lack of communication in the face of a shitstorm of doubt is unacceptable, I'm going to find out if junior football will sate my Saturday fix, because at last, the Stmirren board has succeeded where others haven't and killed my love for this outfit. 

Hands up everyone that would have cancelled their summer holiday to address a situation in work? 
Who said anything has to be cancelled?

In this modern age of communication, people regularly have conferences from both sides of the world.

Have you never been on holiday and dealt with an important work issue?

I have.

Your brown nosing had plummeted to a new depth!

52 years of devotion to the cause. Tomorrow SMISA and club direct debits being cancelled. Every business depends on its customers/shareholders/followers. This lack of communication in the face of a shitstorm of doubt is unacceptable, I'm going to find out if junior football will sate my Saturday fix, because at last, the Stmirren board has succeeded where others haven't and killed my love for this outfit. 

Really? 52 years of devotion and you’ll throw that away because the BOD aren’t telling you why a manager who’s been with us for less than a year is leaving?

How the f**k did you get through Jack leaving and the subsequent Stubbs Omni-shambles?

3 minutes ago, Stark's sandshoes said:

What has it got to do with SMISA? This statement optimises cutting your nose off to spite your face. If you don’t like GLS handling of the club, you’re going to solve that by stopping the very means that removes him from the chairman position? :blink:

Even before the facts are known you make this decision as well? Poor. 

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

Who said anything has to be cancelled?

In this modern age of communication, people regularly have conferences from both sides of the world.

Have you never been on holiday and dealt with an important work issue?

I have.

Your brown nosing had plummeted to a new depth!

Well here’s the issue, I completely agree with you. No need for him to leave even the pool side to take relevant action, certainly doesn’t have to fly home. 

I will reserve judgement on what’s happened until a club statement. That’s more common sense than brown nosing I would say though. :rolleyes:

The only thing in this I think I can criticise is the club communications, we should have had something by now and it is spectacularly poor on this occasion.

Kearney has been brilliant and if you had told me he was with us to the end of the season and will keep us up when he joined I would have been delighted.  He, like the rest of us, is unlikely to reach his final days and suggest that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office and less time with his family.  His motivations as most people on here agree are pretty sound.  Equally the Chairman's decision leading to this point is most likely in our best interests.  To get the assistant manager to take more of the training so he can be at home and for the club to pay the travel every week seems unreasonable to me and it would come to a head at some point in the near future again.

Kearneys apparent lack of availability to lead the planning for pre-season and signings whilst on holiday has left us further behind than we would hope to be at this stage, equally the decision he took to commute tells us that now isn't the right time in his life to commit to this type of a role.  

I would like to think that in 5 years or so when his kids are grown up and more independent he may look for a job again and I think he will make a brilliant manager at the top of the game.  

I think both parties have made the right decision.  I would like to see Goodwin get the job, I take the points about experience but for me that doesn't mean much - less experience managers have taken on bigger jobs and done well.

Just now, DLBud said:

Really? 52 years of devotion and you’ll throw that away because the BOD aren’t telling you why a manager who’s been with us for less than a year is leaving?

How the f**k did you get through Jack leaving and the subsequent Stubbs Omni-shambles?

Some folk really go act like petulant weans, spitting the dummy when not getting their way.

Critique of the club and the way things are done is one thing but I don't get this 'you're not telling me what I want to hear so I'll go'.

Fair enough! Bye Felicia! 👋