Merged: All The Oran Kearney Threads

TopCat

Just now, FTOF said:

Sounds like one of OK'S pals wrote that article.

From the look of that article, he's clearly held in high esteem by the board and fans at Coleraine, and based upon what we saw of him I can understand that. Based on that article, I fully expect him to make the whole  journey back to the Emerald Isle on foot

15 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I can probably swallow what is being said in this article:

Oran Kearney's dramatic spell in the Scottish Premiership is over. He can leave St Mirren with his head held high after saving them from relegation

Pride won't be the only emotion he will be feeling today as he reflects on an eventful nine months with the Paisley outfit.

There will be disappointment for the ex-Coleraine boss at the way in which his time in the full-time spotlight finished following a fall-out with the chairman Gordon Scott, but by the same token also relief that what was turning into an acrimonious saga has now ended.

Once their relationship broke down last week, there was no way back. Scott has a 51% share in the club and, effectively, what he says goes, as previous managers know all too well.

Kearney and Scott never had the warm, fuzzy relationship the former enjoyed with Coleraine chairman Colin McKendry.

It reached crisis point at a meeting last week when Kearney's desire to continue commuting back and forth to Northern Ireland was discussed.

Last season, the 40-year-old had been returning home twice a week to spend time with his wife Lauren and their two children.

Kearney was certain the trips did not impact on his job. Keeping St Mirren in Scotland's top flight would suggest he was right.

Scott felt, however, it would be better for the club if Kearney stayed in Scotland on a permanent basis. There was never going to be a meeting of minds on the issue, leading to Kearney's inevitable departure.

At the weekend, Kearney had been told not to turn up for the club's first day of pre-season training yesterday when behind the scenes lawyers were drawing up an exit settlement.

News from Paisley last night confirmed Kearney had left by 'mutual consent'.

Just last month he was being cheered off the pitch at St Mirren by jubilant supporters after the Buddies had beaten Dundee United on penalties in a play-off to maintain their status amongst Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

That was an emotional afternoon for St Mirren fans, who for most of the season feared that their team would go down. They saw the manager as a miracle worker.

Kearney's remit was to avoid relegation when he took over last September having inspired Coleraine to Irish Cup glory just a few months before. In that same season, they almost beat Crusaders to the title.

He found the going tough in the early months but, after bringing in new players in January, St Mirren ended the season in splendid fashion, moving away from bottom place and the automatic drop to 11th and a play-off.

In the run-up to the two legs with Dundee United there was speculation linking him with a move back to Coleraine, who had sacked Rodney McAree and were hunting for a new boss.

Kearney had decided, however, that he wanted to give it another crack with the Buddies against Neil Lennon's Bhoys, Steven Gerrard's Rangers and the rest.

He organised a friendly with Coleraine for this Saturday and was lining up new players. He had also made travel arrangements to commute between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Now he is a free agent and with Coleraine yet to appoint a successor to McAree over six weeks since his departure, Bannsiders fans are hoping that Kearney 'comes home'.

Incidentally, Coleraine players start pre-season training tonight, with coaches William Murphy, Trevor McKendry and Paul Owens putting them through their paces.

Coleraine chairman Colin McKendry said: "If Oran, as a former manager of Coleraine who had built something special at the club, became available, it would be totally remiss of me not to approach him. He knows the club and many of his players are still there.

"As a person running a business at Coleraine, I know how good a manager Oran is and also what a good person he is.

"I would assume we would not be the only people looking to talk to him simply because of his ability and his reputation.

"What he has done at St Mirren, in my opinion, has been astonishing. Personally, I would love Oran back at our club but we will see what happens."

Addressing rumours Coleraine had hoped Kearney would depart St Mirren all along, McKendry stated that wasn't correct, pointing out that earlier this month they approached Dundalk to speak to their assistant Ruaidhri Higgins only to be denied permission by the League of Ireland outfit.

"People have said our plan the whole time was to wait for Oran. It genuinely has not been like that at all," said McKendry.

"We felt that Oran would be staying with St Mirren and I was sure he would continue his outstanding work there. That's why we looked at Ruaidhri Higgins, but obviously things have changed."

Belfast Telegraph

I am disappointed in his departure as I have stated elsewhere that his feat in keeping us up last season was probably a better feat than JR's Championship winning success. Managing a football club like St Mirren can work in many ways. Can you imagine any good manager being interviewed by the BoD's and before taking on the job being told that he must stay in Paisley (or locally) otherwise he won't be given the job. Of course not, if he can do it from Timbuctoo and he is the right man / woman then  why not just go with the ride. Nice decision from the BoD's yet again.

We really do know how to shoot ourselves in the foot - ☹️😩🤬

That's one side of the coin dont you think there is another side to it also ? 

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

That's one side of the coin dont you think there is another side to it also ? 

Preaching to the multi or non-denominational choir in that article. Only way it could be made more wholesome would be with the addition of a campfire and marshmallows 

Edited by DXBBud

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sounds like one of OK'S pals wrote that article.

I will accept it has been written from the other side of the Irish Channel, but it sits relatively comfortably with how the world works. Yes probably slanted, but believable.

However you look at it, yet again here we are one season on from the AS appointment (wasn't that a stupendous success) and we are looking around for a managerial replacement at the very point when we should be recruiting players and trying to establish a team spirit that might see us above the bottom three scramble.

14 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I agree Kemp. He deserves our eternal gratitude but I think  those managerial debacles should exclude him from making derogatory statements on twitter.

To be fair he held his hands up on getting Tommy Craig appointment wrong.

I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but the man is certainly entitled to his share his opinions

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

That because some of us have real jobs

Proof once again. 

That post makes absolutely no sense in regard to what was said. 

I have over estimated your IQ.

Thought you were immune. 

11 hours ago, cambiebud said:

So.......

The players, such as we have returned to training yesterday and are under the eye of Junior Mendes. A bounce game arranged in Belfast on Friday night followed by a training camp in Spain next week. No manager and no new signings in the pipeline. Chairman in America. The deafening wall of silence from the club. Even by the standards of recent years this is shambolic and amateur

I don't think it is as bad as it may appear.

The silence from the club is simply because they want all legal issues with OK done before saying anything. As the argument is over compensation they will not want to say anything that could be used to argue he has been fired and due 2 years compensation.

"No new manager or signings in the pipeline" is not true.

It would appear the club are confident an approach to Alloa and Jim Goodwin will be successful.

Gus MacPherson is in place to ensure continuation of the signing policy that worked fairly well in December. I would imagine contract discussions are ongoing with a number of targets, including Kyle McAllister.

We could certainly do without the trip to Belfast for a bounce game, but it seems this set up with Rosario is something they are looking to build on long-term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jim Goodwin taking training in Spain & some new faces in the squad very soon.

Just now, shull said:

Proof once again. 

That post makes absolutely no sense in regard to what was said. 

I have over estimated your IQ.

Thought you were immune. 

I am

I am just stating you must be the most underhired taxi driver in Scotland. Mind you with your rank patter no doubt " Just let me out here" rings true...

You have less lifespan than a St Mirren manager in the main forum, so your pish will be confined shortly to where it belongs

Tick tock

4 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

“Neil Lennon’s Bhoys and Steven Gerard’s Rangers” ffs. Is it possible to ONE article that does have a reference to the evil twins?

Got to appease both sides of the great divide in equal measure. God forbid that their delicate sensitivities should be offended ...

3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I am

I am just stating you must be the most underhired taxi driver in Scotland. Mind you with your rank patter no doubt " Just let me out here" rings true...

You have less lifespan than a St Mirren manager in the main forum, so your pish will be confined shortly to where it belongs

Tick tock

Thought you were immune. 

Your obsessed. 

I will never be in the Bin again. 

And if by mistake I am you will still read every word I post. 

Unless you're immune. 

Ye creep. 

2 minutes ago, shull said:

Thought you were immune. 

Your obsessed. 

I will never be in the Bin again. 

And if by mistake I am you will still read every word I post. 

Unless you're immune. 

Ye creep. 

1 minute ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Not sure you can really count being a rent boy as a real job

Bendy Wendy Shull- a very disturbing duo..................(oneo)

No wonder you get excited over Boris :wink:

I don't think it is as bad as it may appear.
The silence from the club is simply because they want all legal issues with OK done before saying anything. As the argument is over compensation they will not want to say anything that could be used to argue he has been fired and due 2 years compensation.
"No new manager or signings in the pipeline" is not true.
It would appear the club are confident an approach to Alloa and Jim Goodwin will be successful.
Gus MacPherson is in place to ensure continuation of the signing policy that worked fairly well in December. I would imagine contract discussions are ongoing with a number of targets, including Kyle McAllister.
We could certainly do without the trip to Belfast for a bounce game, but it seems this set up with Rosario is something they are looking to build on long-term.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jim Goodwin taking training in Spain & some new faces in the squad very soon.

Sorry for my pessimism Kemp. I hope you’re right[emoji106]

3 minutes ago, herman_munster said:

1: get oran kearney paid off

2: Get jim goodwin in and lets get on with it

All the rest is propaganda

Pay him up to the Play Off games and tell him to feck off.