Merged: All The Oran Kearney Threads

TopCat

39 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Tbf it’s the typical wind up merchant - back Stubbs up with pointless statistics (only got 4 games instead of 9), miss out the goalkeeper to try and fit an agenda, claim Oran was shite because we finished 11th instead of saying no one expected survival after what Stubbs did. We shouldn’t reply but sometimes you have to face stupid head on.

Aye, 9 games, got us out of the league cup group, but nothing much more apart from winning one league game from 4. 

On the other hand Kearney had 34 league games to show he was a manager who could improve the crop he inherited and make us safe.

There's always two sides to a story, Kearney, nice man, not a great manager IMO.

We escaped on a few penalty kicks, hardly a great success anyway you care to look at it. 

30 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, 9 games, got us out of the league cup group, but nothing much more apart from winning one league game from 4. 

On the other hand Kearney had 34 league games to show he was a manager who could improve the crop he inherited and make us safe.

There's always two sides to a story, Kearney, nice man, not a great manager IMO.

We escaped on a few penalty kicks, hardly a great success anyway you care to look at it. 

It would have been tragic to fail to qualify from that League Cup Group - you can forgive the one off result every now and again against lower league opposition, but to fail to beat both Spartans and Queen’s Park in 90 minutes within a week of each other was extremely worrying. While the exit to Aberdeen was expected, the manner of the defeat was shocking.

The three league games he didn’t win were very telling - a piss poor performance against Livi (which if I’m right was their only victory on the road all season), the debacle at Tynecastle and the defeat at Ibrox which could have been horrendous if not for the early red card.

With Kearney it depends what your own expectations were. For myself and many others, it was purely survival. Sep-Jan for me was about not falling behind the others, and I think Oran did well adding Anton, Hammill, Lyness and Jackson - one improved the defence and certainly helped Jack Baird to improve his performances. One scored and assisted a fair few goals before his spell ended, and two of his goals were GOTS contenders. One would end up our joint top scorer for the season. One only played four times but put in decent enough performances that we have brought him back in as backup to Hladky.

January was about improving the team, and between Oran and Gus we seen that through signing the likes of Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, McAllister and Dreyer. Much like JR’s survival effort, it took time to get to grips with things but eventually we became a very difficult side to beat, and after offering vey little going forward we created many more chances. Oran got the best out of Ryan Flynn and that was like a having new signing. Bairdy continued to thrive from his days with Anton (as did Paul McGinn) and barely put a foot wrong once he had better defenders next to him and more midfield support.

In the end we finished a massive 11 points clear of Dundee - yes they were shite, but 11 points clear was unimaginable in September. Accies scraped it by 1pt, and goal difference was in our favour by absolute miles. It may have taken penalties to beat Dundee United, but that was a side who dumped us out of the cup three months previously - we did a much better job of matching them when the playoffs came.

Oran has proven history of improving a club - he left Coleraine in a much better position than he began, and given time, he may have achieved the same here. I get your point, and I think it comes down to what your and my expectations were after Stubbs got hoofed in September, and perhaps that’s why we see different here.

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Had to move on a big chunk of the squad then imbed a big group of new players plus get the remaining ones confidence back up. 

Managed all that to the extent we went on to lose only one in our last 10 games, missing out on automatic survival by a point. 

To look at it so narrowly as to ‘escaped on a few penalties’ is nonsense. He did a brilliant job with what he inherited. I think that’s evident in Jim McIntyre at Dundee who had been around the Scottish game for about 25 years, had a bigger budget & arguably stronger starting point in players but failed miserably. 

OK showed he has all the ingredients to be a success in football management. I’m only sorry he didn’t stick around, could see him getting a Jack Ross type of move. 

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Had to move on a big chunk of the squad then imbed a big group of new players plus get the remaining ones confidence back up. 

Managed all that to the extent we went on to lose only one in our last 10 games, missing out on automatic survival by a point. 

To look at it so narrowly as to ‘escaped on a few penalties’ is nonsense. He did a brilliant job with what he inherited. I think that’s evident in Jim McIntyre at Dundee who had been around the Scottish game for about 25 years, had a bigger budget & arguably stronger starting point in players but failed miserably. 

OK showed he has all the ingredients to be a success in football management. I’m only sorry he didn’t stick around, could see him getting a Jack Ross type of move. 

Narrowly......................like you did focusing on the last 10 games? :lol:

I mentioned ALL is league games, I omitted the cup games where we scraped through against a lowly Alloa and went out to Dundee United. 

Kearney is very much better suited to the small pond in Ireland.

It's just as well Dundee failed miserably or you know where we'd be right now.

A Jack Ross move........................speculation of the highest order, which, in case you've not noticed, isn't working out too well at Sunderland. 

Anyhow, no need to pour over previous points, Kearney is gone, Goodwin has a massive job with one hand tied behind his back already. 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I mentioned ALL is league games, I omitted the cup games where we scraped through against a lowly Alloa and went out to Dundee United. 

A Jack Ross move........................speculation of the highest order, which, in case you've not noticed, isn't working out too well at Sunderland. 

Anyhow, no need to pour over previous points, Kearney is gone, Goodwin has a massive job with one hand tied behind his back already. 

There is some utter nonsense in there in my humble opinion.  

32 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No I didn’t I mentioned the situation before regarding what he inherited & imbedding new players. Unless you were expecting the new manager to immediately get results with Stubbs squad & all the new players to instantly gel & take to the league? 

Again after a massive amount of new signings, should we have done better? Possibly but still very harsh to judge him on that. Look how he improved players like the two Mcginns & Flynn as well as the season went on.   

so you think any manager that came in about part time Irish league level would have comfortably saved us with the mess Stubbs left? Nae bother  

If Dundee improved on one fixture against Hamilton we would have been safe... ifs & buts but you’re making a presumption here  

What on Earth has Jack Ross performance at Sunderland got to do with the fact he got a massive job offer after his performance with us & this point on OK? Correct I was speculating, I didn’t hide that  clue is in the word ‘could’

How has he got one hand tied behind his back already? We’ll still likely have a bigger budget than Livi, County & possibly Hamilton, St Johnstone, Motherwell. plenty of time to sort the team out & he's confirmed recruitment scoping didn’t stop, he has a list of targets. 

39 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

From his start to this season for sure. I think he went through a fair lull then hit much better form in maybe the last third or so. 

Would that be after his op per chance??

57 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Would that be after his op per chance??

It’s not an all or nothing situation.

I think when you look at other players improving under OK as well, P McGinn, Baird, Flynn, Hodsen (different player when he got back from injury) for example, it’s a fair comment to say the same applies to S McGinn.

Did the operation help? Almost definitely. Did OK influence over the team improve him on his early season performance? Almost definitely. 

5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Because the last person to post on this thread was later than the last person to post on the other thread. If it was the other way round, it would be above this one. emoji14.png

Oh, em, was that not the question? :whistle

But surely that can only happen If all the Oran threads hadn't actually been merged as the title said? 

Spoke to a Coleraine supporter today , told him Coleraine played St Mirren like a fiddle regarding Oran Kearney . He was genuinely upset , claimed St Mirren,s Chairman  wanted to dictate to Oran Kearney where he lived , and that he had never missed a training session whilst St Mirren manager , and finished by saying he hated St Mirren . 

Thing is I can actually imagine Oran Kearney using the term " dictate " and generating a situation where a discussion become a heated argument .

6 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Spoke to a Coleraine supporter today , told him Coleraine played St Mirren like a fiddle regarding Oran Kearney . He was genuinely upset , claimed St Mirren,s Chairman  wanted to dictate to Oran Kearney where he lived , and that he had never missed a training session whilst St Mirren manager , and finished by saying he hated St Mirren . 

Thing is I can actually imagine Oran Kearney using the term " dictate " and generating a situation where a discussion become a heated argument .

I dunno why oxter laughed at your post.   :unsure:

thing is I can actually imagine things, too...  which makes them true!

like the the tooth fairy for instance...

9 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Was a bit shocked when the news broke Oran left. Now wishing it would all go away. We need to get behind Jim Goodwin. I realise why you want to share that but let's move on.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:21 AM, Cornwall_Saint said:

It would have been tragic to fail to qualify from that League Cup Group - you can forgive the one off result every now and again against lower league opposition, but to fail to beat both Spartans and Queen’s Park in 90 minutes within a week of each other was extremely worrying. While the exit to Aberdeen was expected, the manner of the defeat was shocking.

The three league games he didn’t win were very telling - a piss poor performance against Livi (which if I’m right was their only victory on the road all season), the debacle at Tynecastle and the defeat at Ibrox which could have been horrendous if not for the early red card.

With Kearney it depends what your own expectations were. For myself and many others, it was purely survival. Sep-Jan for me was about not falling behind the others, and I think Oran did well adding Anton, Hammill, Lyness and Jackson - one improved the defence and certainly helped Jack Baird to improve his performances. One scored and assisted a fair few goals before his spell ended, and two of his goals were GOTS contenders. One would end up our joint top scorer for the season. One only played four times but put in decent enough performances that we have brought him back in as backup to Hladky.

January was about improving the team, and between Oran and Gus we seen that through signing the likes of Hladky, Popescu, Muzek, McAllister and Dreyer. Much like JR’s survival effort, it took time to get to grips with things but eventually we became a very difficult side to beat, and after offering vey little going forward we created many more chances. Oran got the best out of Ryan Flynn and that was like a having new signing. Bairdy continued to thrive from his days with Anton (as did Paul McGinn) and barely put a foot wrong once he had better defenders next to him and more midfield support.

In the end we finished a massive 11 points clear of Dundee - yes they were shite, but 11 points clear was unimaginable in September. Accies scraped it by 1pt, and goal difference was in our favour by absolute miles. It may have taken penalties to beat Dundee United, but that was a side who dumped us out of the cup three months previously - we did a much better job of matching them when the playoffs came.

Oran has proven history of improving a club - he left Coleraine in a much better position than he began, and given time, he may have achieved the same here. I get your point, and I think it comes down to what your and my expectations were after Stubbs got hoofed in September, and perhaps that’s why we see different here.

Stubbs made poor signings, hopefully on that everyone can agree. But if you big up Oran (or any other manager on their final position) you have to take account of Stubbs team putting six past Dumbarton, beating Steve Clarke's killie on pens away, and winning their first league game. Oran lost what was it 7 or 8 on the bounce? Then was allowed to replace the squad.

i dont think Goody will see a rescue budget like that if we struggle like last year. Our problem in the summer is we have to wait till the window is closing/closed to pick up decent players who miss out with a better gig. Least this time we wont have a handful of non leaguers clogging up the squad.

Thommo's comment of us "still playing catch up at Christmas" i think relates to the inevitability of our late, late recruitment programme, versus other clubs who seem able to do more, better and quicker with not that big a difference in budget!

i put that down to the stability their board's maintain by backing, not sacking manager after manager. Question is if... Goody is under pressure for a win come late September, will our board yet again pull the bomb door lever and drop him from a height plunging us into yet another tailspin?

53 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Stubbs made poor signings, hopefully on that everyone can agree. But if you big up Oran (or any other manager on their final position) you have to take account of Stubbs team putting six past Dumbarton, beating Steve Clarke's killie on pens away, and winning their first league game. Oran lost what was it 7 or 8 on the bounce? Then was allowed to replace the squad.

i dont think Goody will see a rescue budget like that if we struggle like last year. Our problem in the summer is we have to wait till the window is closing/closed to pick up decent players who miss out with a better gig. Least this time we wont have a handful of non leaguers clogging up the squad.

Thommo's comment of us "still playing catch up at Christmas" i think relates to the inevitability of our late, late recruitment programme, versus other clubs who seem able to do more, better and quicker with not that big a difference in budget!

i put that down to the stability their board's maintain by backing, not sacking manager after manager. Question is if... Goody is under pressure for a win come late September, will our board yet again pull the bomb door lever and drop him from a height plunging us into yet another tailspin?

That’s a fair point. By all means the 6-0 win over Dumbarton was excellent. The draw at Kilmarnock was good, but like us, they hadn’t played any friendlies beforehand, and I feel that meant Killie were not overly effective as they usually are these days. I said at the time that while it was a pleasing draw/penalties win, Killie were obviously not up to speed at that point.

The difference in signings this time around should be noticeable with Gus being implemented to basically stop a “Stubbs” from happening again. If we are signing poor calibre players at this point, does the blame go to Goody or Gus? Beforehand it would have been the manager, but nowadays it’s a combination.

To answer your final question, I guess it depends how likely we look to improve. It was pretty evident that under Stubbs we were a disaster. If Goody is taking us to Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Ibrox and keeping us in the game for 90 minutes, then I reckon it would be a different story. But then again I also reckon Oran was pushed out, so who knows, maybe Goody won’t get the time some of us think he will. Perhaps being GLS pick, he’ll get more time than most. Time will tell.

That’s a fair point. By all means the 6-0 win over Dumbarton was excellent. The draw at Kilmarnock was good, but like us, they hadn’t played any friendlies beforehand, and I feel that meant Killie were not overly effective as they usually are these days. I said at the time that while it was a pleasing draw/penalties win, Killie were obviously not up to speed at that point.
The difference in signings this time around should be noticeable with Gus being implemented to basically stop a “Stubbs” from happening again. If we are signing poor calibre players at this point, does the blame go to Goody or Gus? Beforehand it would have been the manager, but nowadays it’s a combination.
To answer your final question, I guess it depends how likely we look to improve. It was pretty evident that under Stubbs we were a disaster. If Goody is taking us to Tynecastle, Pittodrie and Ibrox and keeping us in the game for 90 minutes, then I reckon it would be a different story. But then again I also reckon Oran was pushed out, so who knows, maybe Goody won’t get the time some of us think he will. Perhaps being GLS pick, he’ll get more time than most. Time will tell.
Like Killie we weren't up to full speed. And again this season it's the same.
I said last year the league cup group is now our pre season friendly schedule.
And in friendlies I don't read much into us losing or winning by a couple against anyone. I just want to see the manager set up a settled side.
The kick off because we drew two of them last season was a bit embarrassing. If we are I the hat for the next round having shipped minimal goals and they players are fit that's about as much as we should hope for.
First league game is the biggie!

2 hours ago, shull said:
Spoiler

We can still give Goodwin great backing as well as booing Judas Kearney tae feck. 

Virtual lip service? What backing are you going to give JG from the cinema door?

Not saying you don't have the right to comment but FFS don't pretend your giving support when you aren't even going to be at the ground, through choice,  to do so.

Edited by stlucifer

53 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Like Killie we weren't up to full speed. And again this season it's the same.
I said last year the league cup group is now our pre season friendly schedule.
And in friendlies I don't read much into us losing or winning by a couple against anyone. I just want to see the manager set up a settled side.
The kick off because we drew two of them last season was a bit embarrassing. If we are I the hat for the next round having shipped minimal goals and they players are fit that's about as much as we should hope for.
First league game is the biggie!

This season we have better prep going into the League Cup, having had a friendly in Belfast and a scheduled one against Peterborough.

I know your views regarding the group stage are aligned with some others on here, but I completely disagree that the group games are friendlies - this is a cup competition, and it’s one of our two best chances to bring home some silverware and lifelong memories. As top seeds in a group with three sides outside of the top 3 tiers involved, anything but progress would be an embarrassment. The reward for winning all 4 games in 90 minutes would likely be to see us seeded in the Last 16, giving us a great chance of making the QF, and from then on who knows what can happen. The cups are the best chance for us to do something big, and that’s why there was such a kick up about those two piss poor results. We were 2-0 down to 5th tier Spartans at home, there was really no defending that.