Oran Kearney Appreciation Thread

11 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

Yes we blew the lead twice but I don't think even the most optimistic of supporters thought we would even get a draw v Aberdeen so for me it is a point gained instead of 2 points lost.

On Saturday Morning we were 6 points behind 10th after the game we were only 5 points behind 10th, that is not becoming detached that's closing the gap.

All in peoples heads how things play out, yours the ultra pessimistic head , mine and others optimistic, but opinions like your statement above are all about negative spin.

Dont get me wrong, i never expected a point, and would have taken it before the game absolutely. Our problem remains that we cave in and lose valuable points. At our current rate of one point every eight games we would need to play forty games just to catch Dundee/Accies and hope thet they would lose all forty.

we cant draw ourselves out of this hole, we need wins. Look at Dundee going from basket case to two wins and a draw, and Hamilton winning and drawing. Its that simple, if you have the least wins you go down. Before we play either of our nearest two rivals we have four games that past form would indicate we only pick up points in one (livvy). Then play a rival, then play celtic, then rival, then split.

the split is looking like imo Hibs, St Johstone, Livvy, Dundee, Hamilton and us. Dundee and Hamilton will only need to stop us winning in our games with them. Where we need wins.

who knows, maybe the Hearts game will fall our way and see the gap closing? Injuries now look like the kick in the sack, with Anton and Mcallister suffering on Saturday.

for sure though that's five games Oran has lost four and drawn one from when in winning postions! 13 points surrendered, oh how useful they would be know.

11 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Injuries now look like the kick in the sack, with Anton and Mcallister suffering on Saturday.

Mate- I know you offer a counterpoint to irrational exuberance- but what facts do you have for the above statement?

I thought I heard Kyle went off with cramp but also that he’s getting his fitness back and has almost played the full match.

Anton, I don’t think we know about. A muscle thing was it? We don’t know enough to say it’s as bad as a kick in the sack. 

Enlighten us if you know more. Otherwise it would serve you and the forum well not to devalue your posts with unsupported statements.

Edited by Paisleyporridge
Tidied up

A refreshing topic to read. 

Yes, we couldn't hold our lead, but to be in the lead against such strong opposition in the first place is progress in itself.

If we can muster a point at Tynecastle, we go into winable games with the reassurance that we can compete in this league. As terrible as we have been, I strongly believe we aren't any worse than Dundee or Hamilton judging by performances I've seen from both. It's still all to play for.

7 minutes ago, Paisleyporridge said:

Mate- I know you offer a counterpoint to irrational exuberance- but what facts do you have for the above statement?

I thought I heard Kyle went off with cramp but also that he’s getting his fitness back and has almost played the full match.

Anton, I don’t think we know about. A muscle thing was it? We don’t know enough to say it’s as bad as a kick in the sack. 

Enlighten us if you know more. Otherwise it would serve you and the forum well not to devalue your posts with unsupported statements.

Waiting for an injury update, hoping for good news. Has Anton ever been actually fit since the break?

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just a realist mate, we get turned over from winning positions far too easily. If you make a habit of that, it costs. 

Your writing style is very 'Green Ink-esque'. You do know this is social media you're posting on, and not a dissertation on modern english?

You still haven't grasped the most basic concept - our new team has now played 3 games together . . . .  :hammer

We lost a lead to Aberdeen - a top 3 side year after year and most people including YOU gave us no hope of taking anything from this fixture...:fire2

So before jumping in with any more nonsense take the time to see how the new team play over the NEXT 5 fixtures in comparison to Dee and Hamilton.

There are no guarantees - but over the next 2 games we could even be level with both on points and above both on goal difference - unlikely as that may seem, it would still be a positive step if we reduce their 6 point lead down to 3 or 2... . 

Thank Fcuk Oran is here and not Stubzo . . . (or his duds)     :ninja

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Waiting for an injury update, hoping for good news. Has Anton ever been actually fit since the break?

My source:

Kyle McAllister typified their energy-sapping effort overall when he was forced off with severe cramp

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/point-at-pittodrie-can-kick-start-st-mirren-s-season-insists-paul-mcginn-1-4874559

Anton: I’m not sure he has. He’s missed games. Maybe an 80% Anton and a 90% McKenzie will make a good contribution. But resilience of our squad depth at central defence must be a concern ... fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Dont get me wrong, i never expected a point, and would have taken it before the game absolutely. Our problem remains that we cave in and lose valuable points. At our current rate of one point every eight games we would need to play forty games just to catch Dundee/Accies and hope thet they would lose all forty.

we cant draw ourselves out of this hole, we need wins. Look at Dundee going from basket case to two wins and a draw, and Hamilton winning and drawing. Its that simple, if you have the least wins you go down. Before we play either of our nearest two rivals we have four games that past form would indicate we only pick up points in one (livvy). Then play a rival, then play celtic, then rival, then split.

the split is looking like imo Hibs, St Johstone, Livvy, Dundee, Hamilton and us. Dundee and Hamilton will only need to stop us winning in our games with them. Where we need wins.

who knows, maybe the Hearts game will fall our way and see the gap closing? Injuries now look like the kick in the sack, with Anton and Mcallister suffering on Saturday.

for sure though that's five games Oran has lost four and drawn one from when in winning postions! 13 points surrendered, oh how useful they would be know.

Forget whats happened in the past... although i believe Oran could have picked up a point or 2 more too, you just cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, Stubbs left us in a total mess mate....  Oran has virtually built a new squad in the January window, if he pulls this off IMO that would far exceed anything that the Golden boy achieved in his short tenure.

Oran has bloodied 8 new players into the team in the last few games, playing Celtic Rangers Aberdeen away,  Motherwell who are flying, and Hibs. As i've stated before, the fixtures have favoured us big time as we were never likely to pick up many if any points in these games with 8 new players most of whom who were lacking match fitness. the point against Aberdeen away the 2nd best team in Scotland for the last 4years is not to be sneezed at, its the wee boost we've all been waiting on, 

Don't ask me why [ cos there's always a wee Elvis in me screaming to get out]  but i've got a good feeling about this.  :) 

Edited by portmahomack saint

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

Forget whats happened in the past... although i believe Oran could have picked up a point or 2 more too, you just cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, Stubbs left us in a total mess mate....  Oran has virtually built a new squad in the January window, if he pulls this off IMO that would far exceed anything that the Golden boy achieved in his short tenure.

Oran has bloodied 8 new players into the team in the last few games, playing Celtic Rangers Aberdeen away,  Motherwell who are flying, and Hibs. As i've stated before, the fixtures have favoured us big time as we were never likely to pick up many if any points in these games with 8 new players most of whom who were lacking match fitness. the point against Aberdeen away the 2nd best team in Scotland for the last 4years is not to be sneezed at, its the wee boost we've all been waiting on, 

Don't ask me why [ cos there's always a wee Elvis in me screaming to get out]  but i've got a good feeling about this.  :) 

41 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The dark clouds are slowly lifting get any kind of result on Saturday our tails will be up my fingers are crossed.

Basically what we all hope for. The reality is one team goes straight down and one goes to play offs. At the moment, unless we have a seismic shift in form we are favourites  one of those two berths.

win on Saturday, then its game on! Lose then and against Livvy..? Well thats the time for the board to decide if they are going down with Oran, or taking one more BIG gamble and getting the likes of Neil Lennon in till the end of the season to create a 'dead cat bounce'. He still wants to manage up here, shellic and Hibs wont have him back, but we would be appealing if we stayed up??? Pick the bones out of that one!

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Basically what we all hope for. The reality is one team goes straight down and one goes to play offs. At the moment, unless we have a seismic shift in form we are favourites  one of those two berths.

win on Saturday, then its game on! Lose then and against Livvy..? Well thats the time for the board to decide if they are going down with Oran, or taking one more BIG gamble and getting the likes of Neil Lennon in till the end of the season to create a 'dead cat bounce'. He still wants to manage up here, shellic and Hibs wont have him back, but we would be appealing if we stayed up??? Pick the bones out of that one!

You trying to start a riot in here :lol:  your a naughty boy LPM 

Good post mind you...... 

I was encouraged that in a second half where Aberdeen had most of the pressure, Lyons was just off target with a header, McAllister was wrongly given offside when he was one on one with their keeper, Jackson had a decent chance and we scored 1 great goal from McAllister... and that's us away at Pittodrie and without Stephen McGinn, Kyle Magennis and quite a few others out injured at the minute.

The Duck has scored in 1 game more than Danny Mullen and a lot of the January signings are beginning to look match fit and useful.

7 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I was encouraged that in a second half where Aberdeen had most of the pressure, Lyons was just off target with a header, McAllister was wrongly given offside when he was one on one with their keeper, Jackson had a decent chance and we scored 1 great goal from McAllister... and that's us away at Pittodrie and without Stephen McGinn, Kyle Magennis and quite a few others out injured at the minute.

The Duck has scored in 1 game more than Danny Mullen and a lot of the January signings are beginning to look match fit and useful.

Stop it - you are speaking hope into supporters who have endured months of despair - what do you think you are playing at? :P

The Duck and Mullen have scored the same amount so far I think! (it will change soon though I suspect)

My main disappointment were at the goals we conceded. The marking on Ferguson was NOT good enough - I think that was Lyons and the cross into Cosgrove was unchallenged - Who ever was marking the guy passed him to another who did NOT shut him down. Small margins cost us - but a great point and a really decent performance . .. .  the magic is back . . . to stay... I hope  :magic

As I watched Cosgrove stroke that excellent ball into Saints' net, I was suffused by fond memories of Thommo executing exactly the same strike in both a semi and the Final of a Scottish League Cup.

Apart from bloody losing a sickening goal to the Dons, the memory blast was a sheer delight.

1m 28s here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=league+cup+goal+steve+thompson+st+mirren+&&view=detail&mid=A2D1E89C0F481CA3AE77A2D1E89C0F481CA3AE77&&FORM=VRDGAR

We’d all have taken a point from Aberdeen if it was offered before the match.   The points total next to our name though doesn’t lie, we deserve to be where we are.   I’m still not sure about OK, I’m still not sure about the structure and the people we have in place..  but I will sure as hell still be at every game I can supporting the team..  because irrespective of whether we are pessimists, optimimists or realists..  we’re buddies and through bad times and good we still keep turning up and supporting.  

I remember the last last couple of games of last season when the sun was shining and the crowds around the ground were heaving and I said to my son that I wondered where all these “supporters” were when we were struggling for wins and playing like donkeys..

but almost all of us on here are still there when we are struggling for wins and playing like donkeys..  and even if the great escape II is a long shot ..  we all need to get to the ground and get behind the team..  

2 hours ago, bender rodriguez said:

2 very good draws but we are still 4pts behind accies let's save the high fives till may '!

I think we'll still be 12th by the split but the gap will be down to 1 or 2 points and the momentum will be with us. I think we'll continue to draw too many games to overtake Dundee and Hamilton prior to the split.

20 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

3 games in a row unbeaten and first result of the season against Livingston.

And there is more good points to come . . .

Hope Stephen recovers from the assaults he experienced yesterday. Given that Tansey is banned for next week too and we are not sure if Lyons will be fit for it either.

Our bench was Forwards and Defenders yesterday - so, hoping McAllister gets some good ultrasound this week and he is raring to go.

A cheeky we win against Killie and our rivals will be greeting or have smelly stuff running down their legs - exactly what they deserve...

Let's make it 4    :magic

On 2/18/2019 at 2:18 PM, Lord Pityme said:

That's really quick to get something monumentally wrong.

Even by your lofty standards. :lol: