Oran Kearney Appreciation Thread

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Well done to Oran Kearney on yet another victory over a Livingston team who had us dead and buried before half time at home in a game where we didn't register a shot on target when we were managed by you know who.

Well done to Oran and the team. Not many complaints about Wullie Collum today from our fans who usually deride him!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done to Oran and the team again - spot on with substitutions of late (now that we almost have a full squad to choose from). Another win. A team which by February had 12 points all season finished the season on 32 points. In the final 13 games we picked up 20 points and a positive goal difference of 3, losing only to Celtic (1st), Killie (3rd), St Johnstone (7th).

5 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well done to Oran and the team again - spot on with substitutions of late (now that we almost have a full squad to choose from). Another win. A team which by February had 12 points all season finished the season on 32 points. In the final 13 games we picked up 20 points and a positive goal difference of 3, losing only to Celtic (1st), Killie (3rd), St Johnstone (7th).

Is this a thread for you to say well done Oran and the team again on?   :P

The GOOD thing is we  are getting to say it regularly though.

Slow start (a bit too often) but we came up with the goods today.

Need to be at it for 90 minutes in both the play-off ties though...

Come on Oran and the team - 2 cup ties - a bit of revenge and a huge prize at stake … and we fans want to be in that number . . .  :magic

Well done to Oran and the players today. With Flynn, Tansey, Lyons, Dreyer, and Jackson all injured we had a starting XI with a few players struggling for fitness - McAllister, Magennis and MacKenzie all started while carrying knocks. It didn't look promising when McAllister, Magennis and MacKenzie had to leave the field as injuries caught up with them. I thought the team dug in and limited DUFC to mostly half chances and even when we were being outplayed possession wise we still created the clearest chances - in the second half of normal time United outplayed us but I think Hladky made one save in those 45 minutes and we had great chances for McAllister, Nazon, Cooke and Paul McGinn. To win when the team were on their last legs and playing 12 men all game was a fitting end to a great second half of the season.

Here's hoping St Mirren now lodge an official complaint about John Beaton's performance - if we had been relegated today it would have been hard, in the words of Alan Stubbs, to "not be bitter".

What an incredible turnaround by Oran Kearney. After the Stubbs debacle many of us thought it would be a swift return back down.

We all knew it was about keeping in touch until January, then seeing what happened with the transfer market. Oran did his part to keep us in it, then between him and Gus we massively improved the squad. This survival is fantastic, and Oran deserves so much credit for this.

Congratulations MR OK. You have now earned your stripes and promoted to MR VG. Next Season your challenge is to get promoted to MR FFingAmazing. Seriously well done and I know the players support you. Grab the bull by the horns and show it who's the boss.

Just about recovered from yesterday!!! I'm not sure if he's been mentioned in threads, but having been very apprehensive when Anton came on, I was really impressed with the way he broke up attacks with his positioning as he's not the quickest now. Is that the first time he's played in 2019? I don't know what he'll do next but I wish him well.

PS - He still doesn't have a relegation on his CV!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Old Weiserbud said:

Just about recovered from yesterday!!! I'm not sure if he's been mentioned in threads, but having been very apprehensive when Anton came on, I was really impressed with the way he broke up attacks with his positioning as he's not the quickest now. Is that the first time he's played in 2019? I don't know what he'll do next but I wish him well.

PS - He still doesn't have a relegation on his CV!!!!!

Have to agree; I too was slightly concerned considering he hasn't played for a while and of course his lack of pace, but as you say he seemed to read everything just spot on, have to say he is a class act, not said a word about why he isn't playing, no snide remarks that come back from media accounts or supposed friends, kept his thoughts to himself and played his part when asked, pure class Mr Ferdinand.

Well done  to OK and the team. OK has managed a squad of players into a team that surfaced and kept it going just in time.

Looking ahead I believe and certainly hope he has the ability and man management to shape a team that can surely aim for more than relegation fodder  as an ambition but be planning for 9th realistically. He should have HIS players and HIS methods and importantly a full pre season.

St Mirren  going into next season without the shambolic winging it and creating havoc with ludicrous management appointments of recent years should allow as a decent foothold.. Surely next season we can overtake the likes of Hamilton, Ross county Livingston and look to consistently challenge the likes of St Johnstone.

St Mirren and consistency don't normally go together but hopefully Scott and Fitzpatrick etal will learn from this season's chaotic start and look to consolidate after another Great Escape and get some rigour into a campaign.

Anyway the hope is back once again, that's more than was likely Five months ago.

Well done OK and the lads. 

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Have to agree; I too was slightly concerned considering he hasn't played for a while and of course his lack of pace, but as you say he seemed to read everything just spot on, have to say he is a class act, not said a word about why he isn't playing, no snide remarks that come back from media accounts or supposed friends, kept his thoughts to himself and played his part when asked, pure class Mr Ferdinand.

I think Anton Ferdinand has been a class act behind the scenes in helping the squad and younger players. You could even see when he was warming up during matches that he'd be encouraging the other subs or our players on the pitch. He's not been in the team because Popescu, Baird, MacKenzie have all done the business and because he is in the twilight of his playing career. We should look at bringing him in as a coach or head of youth academy in a year or two's time if he wants to stay based in Scotland.

• 4 weeks later...

Stubbs, Hay, and many others have never been forgotten.

Oran should have said ta ta after the play off match.

Packed up , back to his family , NO PAY OFF.

And lived happily ever after being a Teacher and a Part Time Football Manager.

Just now, Seaside Nipper said:

Jury ( oops ) now out on his appreciation.

I don't see why. Keeping us up last season was something I doubt many managers in our range could have achieved. The shambles he inherited was worse than what Jack Ross had when took over, and he achieved our safety in a higher league. 

Its amazing how quickly fans can turn based on nothing but hearsay. 

1 minute ago, munoz said:

I don't see why. Keeping us up last season was something I doubt many managers in our range could have achieved. The shambles he inherited was worse than what Jack Ross had when took over, and he achieved our safety in a higher league. 

Jury is out...........that means things are under consideration.

You've obv never been on trial :whistle

Oran did what was asked of him, and he did an incredible job - I fully expected relegation after the Stubbs debacle.

He should be remembered for the great escape he pulled off for us. We don’t know what’s gone on here but I have no bad feelings towards Oran. Gordon Scott though...I have to ask, why was this not sorted in the week following the playoff victory? Why are we going into pre-season managerless? This is last season all over again - bizarrely enough our saving grace might be Gus being here to sign players so we aren’t 100% blind going in.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

I agree but hour by hour it's looking more likely Kearneys time, for whatever reason, is up.

People shouldn't change their opinion on what his record at St Mirren is no matter what the final outcome is, I won't, always doubted he was any more than average.

I also won't be saying I'm glad he's gone, mainly because of the damage this could be doing to the club. 

1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Oran did what was asked of him, and he did an incredible job - I fully expected relegation after the Stubbs debacle.

He should be remembered for the great escape he pulled off for us. We don’t know what’s gone on here but I have no bad feelings towards Oran. Gordon Scott though...I have to ask, why was this not sorted in the week following the playoff victory? Why are we going into pre-season managerless? This is last season all over again - bizarrely enough our saving grace might be Gus being here to sign players so we aren’t 100% blind going in.

subjective