USB Charing Cables

Isle Of Bute Saint

For a while now I have been replacing USB charging cables due to a slow down in re-charging times. How is it possible a cable sending power from A to B slow down the charge.

When I purchase a new cable of which has been many now it is up to speed for a couple of month before things slow down.

Had a chat with a young man about this he told me he has experienced the same thing having to replace his USB cable every so often.

Cant get my head round it cables do not slow down signals. Use many way's to re-charge,  three pin plug for USB. USB charging point , USB into laptop.

My phone is Android , my wife has a iPhone she does not suffer a slow down in charging time.

Anyone out there have the same problem ? 

Had noticed when charging my old phone that certain plugs would take longer to charge the phone than normal. Do you wind up or bend your cables? I always roll them up in a loop.

This isn't something that I have came across. The cable either works or doesn't

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

For a while now I have been replacing USB charging cables due to a slow down in re-charging times. How is it possible a cable sending power from A to B slow down the charge.

When I purchase a new cable of which has been many now it is up to speed for a couple of month before things slow down.

Had a chat with a young man about this he told me he has experienced the same thing having to replace his USB cable every so often.

Cant get my head round it cables do not slow down signals. Use many way's to re-charge,  three pin plug for USB. USB charging point , USB into laptop.

My phone is Android , my wife has a iPhone she does not suffer a slow down in charging time.

Really down to cable and connector quality. Cheaper ones are made of inferior materials. Best example is a hdmi cable for a smart telly. If you use an el cheapo you will get picture degradation. Buy the gold standard, and the difference is visible.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Really down to cable and connector quality. Cheaper ones are made of inferior materials. Best example is a hdmi cable for a smart telly. If you use an el cheapo you will get picture degradation. Buy the gold standard, and the difference is visible.

Have paid up to £12 for a charging cable with the same problem. Think Chalky1 has got it right. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yip it is all down to resistance in ohms.  Bending cables causes strands to break and although other strands help the cable to work, it works less effectively - Dirt too on the connections which also have poorer materials does this too.

They do make cr*p cables for this function, and other functions too - a decent one would last for decades - but in our throw away society, business wants more and more business - making things last is not on their agenda . . .   seriously think governments should make suppliers make things which last longer or they should have to supply replacements . .   better for consumers and the environment too . . . not so good for business profits or governmental tax either though :spud6

Edited by Sweeper07

31 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Yip it is all down to resistance in ohms.  Bending cables causes strands to break and although other strands help the cable to work, it works less effectively - Dirt too on the connections which also have poorer materials does this too.

They do make cr*p cables for this function, and other functions too - a decent one would last for decades - but in our throw away society, business wants more and more business - making things last is not on their agenda . . .   seriously think governments should make suppliers make things which last longer or they should have to supply replacements . .   better for consumers and the environment too . . . not so good for business profits or governmental tax either though :spud6

Poor quality is not primarily driven by business. It is driven by customers.

Businesses will only make shit products if people continue to be woo-ed by price and buy them.

An interesting aside, I was looking at some buttons on eBay today. Someone is selling 100 buttons from China (delivery time 6 weeks) for 45p including postage. Given that the cheapest postage price in the UK is about 58p (?) for a second class letter it will take a smarter brain than me to work out how they can make a profit.

Edited by oaksoft

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Poor quality is not primarily driven by business. It is driven by customers.

Businesses will only make shit products if people continue to be woo-ed by price and buy them.

An interesting aside, I was looking at some buttons on eBay today. Someone is selling 100 buttons from China (delivery time 6 weeks) for 45p including postage. Given that the cheapest postage price in the UK is about 58p (?) for a second class letter it will take a smarter brain than me to work out how they can make a profit.

China didn’t sign up to the WTO agreement which does not bind them to the same rules as other countries... basically they deliberately keep their currency weak against others, which makes their prices more competitive, means they can undercut pretty much everyone. I guess that would apply to the sale of buttons, in this case.

Just now, Doakes said:

China didn’t sign up to the WTO agreement which does not bind them to the same rules as other countries... basically they deliberately keep their currency weak against others, which makes their prices more competitive, means they can undercut pretty much everyone. I guess that would apply to the sale of buttons, in this case.

Yes but unless they have people in the UK prepared to deliver them for free they can't get around our minimal postage charges which are substantially more than 45p. Maybe they are relying on wholesalers buying this stuff in such massive quantities that the postage is essentially covered.

Interesting that the cheapest UK based wholesalers for those buttons are 10 times more expensive than this for the same button. I can understand that part.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Yes but unless they have people in the UK prepared to deliver them for free they can't get around our minimal postage charges which are substantially more than 45p. Maybe they are relying on wholesalers buying this stuff in such massive quantities that the postage is essentially covered.

Interesting that the cheapest UK based wholesalers for those buttons are 10 times more expensive than this for the same button. I can understand that part.

Yeah I’d guess they mostly get orders in bulk, which will more than cover the postage for their smaller orders.