Bad Blood

munoz

A bit before my time , but this Arab seems to think there's always been ill feeling between Saints and Utd fans.

Never noticed it Tbh,  but can anyone shed any light on these events?

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tele-letter-bad-blood-between-dundee-united-and-st-mirren-fans-stems-from-alex-ferguson-era/

Just now, antrin said:

There were "scuffles at all grounds with all fans/teams, I would have thought, in the 70s...?

I mind that , and through most of the 80s also. Probably not anything worse than countless other incidents. 

1 minute ago, antrin said:

I agree...  but we DID 'steal' their Scottish Cup in 1987.   Mibbe that's the bit that's being left unmentioned in that wee article.  :lol:

This   ^^^^ back then there was always a few regular squabbles between the ned supporters from every team - but the favourites in 1987 left empty handed and no doubt the Utd supporters loathed us a lot for this . . .  what a day - made me late for a date - but wouldn't change it for anything...

1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

This   ^^^^ back then there was always a few regular squabbles between the ned supporters from every team - but the favourites in 1987 left empty handed and no doubt the Utd supporters loathed us a lot for this . . .  what a day - made me late for a date - but wouldn't change it for anything...

Surprised you made the date.

32 minutes ago, munoz said:

A bit before my time , but this Arab seems to think there's always been ill feeling between Saints and Utd fans.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tele-letter-bad-blood-between-dundee-united-and-st-mirren-fans-stems-from-alex-ferguson-era/

Maybe because we pinched their best player previously.

Edited by pod

24 minutes ago, munoz said:

Surprised you made the date.

Loved her very much, and could not have been sure we would have won. On the plus side I held up the family meal that night - didn't go down too well with her mum though... but she was a grumpy thing anyway.

But I was smiling from ear to ear !!! 

24 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Loved her very much, and could not have been sure we would have won. On the plus side I held up the family meal that night - didn't go down too well with her mum though... but she was a grumpy thing anyway.

But I was smiling from ear to ear !!! 

Unlike this guy....

15328514213226946.gif.60947105de346803c4ddfc6b4a27376e.gif

Remember both games... United neds came tooled up with the white rocks you would get on the railway tracks between the sleepers. One nearly decapitated me if it wasn't for my bro handing me a can of lager from behind.  The can split in half it could of been my head... one young boy about 8yrs old wasn't so lucky and ended up with a fractured skull.. was on the front page of the Sunday Mail next day.. scummy bastards.. away game was our 2nd game and first away game. And was just as Shetland said.. welcome to the premier league 

25 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Fergie was before my time but I remember David Bowman booting the ball, almost point blank, into the saints support at Tannadice hitting a very young fan in the face

Dave Bowman looked like he'd been booted in the face by a ball since birth. 

Never liked him.

2 hours ago, munoz said:

Their fans came into Love Street in 1979 early and attacked young Saints fans. Up at there place they would block what could be called the away end and hit Saints fans returning to the away end from the centre of the ground. They were no worse than other teams fans violence was rife at football back then. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Their fans came into Love Street in 1979 early and attacked young Saints fans. Up at there place they would block what could be called the away end and hit Saints fans returning to the away end from the centre of the ground. They were no worse than other teams fans violence was rife at football back then. 

IOBS. You are right. Violence seemed to be part and parcel of football for some (not by any means all) at that time. I'd like to think that these days are behind us. A return would certainly make me think twice about going. Personally I don't "hate supporters of any other team"

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

IOBS. You are right. Violence seemed to be part and parcel of football for some (not by any means all) at that time. I'd like to think that these days are behind us. A return would certainly make me think twice about going. Personally I don't "hate supporters of any other team"

I'm with you on that Ricky thankfully football supporters have moved on in the most part. Still work needs to be done there is still a small majority in a tribal clan. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint