The Tony Fitzpatrick Appreciation Thread

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, he was a bit of a fantasist..................everyone to their own. 

One major criticism of The Power of Positive Thinking is that the book is full of anecdotes that are hard to substantiate. Almost all of the experts and many of the testimonials that Peale quotes as supporting his philosophy are unnamed, unknown and unsourced. Examples include a "famous psychologist",[16]:52 a two-page letter from a "practicing physician",[16]:150 another "famous psychologist",[16]:169 a "prominent citizen of New York City",[16]:88 and dozens, if not hundreds, more unverifiable quotations. Similar scientific studies of questionable validity are also cited. As psychiatrist R.C. Murphy wrote, "All this advertising is vindicated as it were, by a strict cleaving to the side of part truth," and referred to the work and the quoted material as "implausible and woodenly pious".

The problem with a lot of the positive thinking camp is that it largely seems to be people trying to fake positivity.

All that looking in the mirror and yelling "I'm a tiger. Grrrrr" is just utter Americanised bollox..

Ricky knows what I'm talking about. This is the sort of snake oil shoite he used to be part of selling to gullible companies when he was still earning his millions.

Anyway, the point is that true positivity comes from within. You either feel it or you don't. Some people enjoy the sun and others mutter "Aye but it'll be pishing doon the morra". It doesn't need to be painted in terms of "realistic" or "heid in the clouds".

As for Tony, he is either genuine about his positivity or he is faking it. I think it's the former and I would rather work with only this type of person. The elvis's of this world, I wouldn't want their poison within 100 miles of me.

36 minutes ago, mattman said:

The shite that refuses to flush is back in the msm. Must be a vacancy coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53499307

49E5E840-C8F1-45DA-82BB-BDE3720223CD.jpeg

I don't ever remember Stubbs indicating that he had made any mistakes at all during his time with us.

He's blaming players and board members.

He must know that this makes him unemployable as a manager so maybe he's trying to get a gig in media as a "tell it how I see it" pundit?

We SHOULD be aiming at top 6 and the fans need to know that's where we are aiming.

Other than sending us all private emails, how else is he to get that message out to us?

Stubbs just isn't doing himself any favours with this approach.

Haven’t heard the interview and nothing in the bbc story but seen someone saying on twitter that he also blamed the negativity following a supporters meeting.

i was at that meeting, I thought he looked a bumbling mess, hardly made sense, Jackson looked as though he would of much preferred to be anywhere else apart from there, more interested in joking around than answering serious questions. Could smell a shambles right from there..

the only one out the three who came across well was Brian Rice, and to no surprise he was the only one who survived. Actually talked the club up instead of sneering down at the supporters. 

Edited by mattman

I don't ever remember Stubbs indicating that he had made any mistakes at all during his time with us.
He's blaming players and board members.
He must know that this makes him unemployable as a manager so maybe he's trying to get a gig in media as a "tell it how I see it" pundit?
We SHOULD be aiming at top 6 and the fans need to know that's where we are aiming.
Other than sending us all private emails, how else is he to get that message out to us?
Stubbs just isn't doing himself any favours with this approach.

We haven’t done too bad to recover from the shambles he left behind.
It shows how good a job Kearney and Goodwin have done IMO.

• 5 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, faraway saint said:

Aye, he was a bit of a fantasist..................everyone to their own. 

One major criticism of The Power of Positive Thinking is that the book is full of anecdotes that are hard to substantiate. Almost all of the experts and many of the testimonials that Peale quotes as supporting his philosophy are unnamed, unknown and unsourced. Examples include a "famous psychologist",[16]:52 a two-page letter from a "practicing physician",[16]:150 another "famous psychologist",[16]:169 a "prominent citizen of New York City",[16]:88 and dozens, if not hundreds, more unverifiable quotations. Similar scientific studies of questionable validity are also cited. As psychiatrist R.C. Murphy wrote, "All this advertising is vindicated as it were, by a strict cleaving to the side of part truth," https://freebooksummary.com/beowulf-and-loyalty-942 and referred to the work and the quoted material as "implausible and woodenly pious".

Free access to Christian sources of information is an important step towards salvation. I think that all religious books should be readily available. I recently read a detailed review of a popular fiction book about Beowulf. This review is written in the context of the great people who inhabited the holy land during the time of Joshua in the Old Testament.

46 minutes ago, finistratbob said:

Free access to Christian sources of information is an important step towards salvation. I think that all religious books should be readily available. I recently read a detailed review of a popular fiction book about Beowulf. This review is written in the context of the great people who inhabited the holy land during the time of Joshua in the Old Testament.

I agree. But on the same shelf as books by Dan Brown, C S Lewis, J R R Tolkien and the likes. Kids need to know the difference between being good and being gullible.

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, finistratbob said:

Luckily, I tripped and fell at the first step because I don't need saving and so I've happily missed out on what could easily have been a wasted life.

3 hours ago, finistratbob said:

Who?

4 hours ago, finistratbob said:

Free access to Christian sources of information is an important step 

I agree absolutely.

Until live gigs start back up again, how else are people going to get a good laugh.

I mean, talking burning bushes, "virgin" pregnancies (try that excuse nowadays), water into wine and walking on water conjuring tricks and entire seas parting for miles on end, you just can't beat organised religion for a solid belly laugh.

I agree absolutely.
Until live gigs start back up again, how else are people going to get a good laugh.
I mean, talking burning bushes, "virgin" pregnancies (try that excuse nowadays), water into wine and walking on water conjuring tricks and entire seas parting for miles on end, you just can't beat organised religion for a solid belly laugh.

Blasphemy I say.......blasphemy. Next thing you’ll be telling us is that Santa isn’t real.

6 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Blasphemy I say.......blasphemy. Next thing you’ll be telling us is that Santa isn’t real.

Go and get a stiff drink and brace yourself my friend.

A couple of hundred years ago and I'd have been burned at the stake for saying the stuff I put in that post.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

A couple of hundred years ago and I'd have been burned at the stake for saying the stuff I put in that post.

So they had the right idea about some things in the olden days?

(I don't recall those days, personally.)

There’s some on here that would have you burn at the stake just for disagreeing with posts they don’t like or agree with [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I agree absolutely.
You forgot the talking donkey.