John McGinn

On 5/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, buddiecat said:

I have yet to see any official confirmation that Saints are due any part of a fee agreed between Hibs and Villa

In fairness Buddiecat,  never saw any official confirmation of the original 33% before we got it either, but we still got it.

Why do folk feel the need to get official confirmation on everything.

• 2 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Although John McGinn and Kenny McLean came through a different era of the youth academy... when representing your country at youth levels was celebrated and encouraged.

It just goes to show how good a job David Longwell did more than anything else.

15 minutes ago, munoz said:

It just goes to show how good a job David Longwell did more than anything else.

He obviously did do a great job - however, something good is still happening - guys like Erhahon, MacPherson at this stage are progressing well... it is going to be tougher for any younger folk to break through as we keep improving, however, we need to push our youth level on a bit to keep up... bigger budget, put some more into youth too please!

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

He obviously did do a great job - however, something good is still happening - guys like Erhahon, MacPherson at this stage are progressing well... it is going to be tougher for any younger folk to break through as we keep improving, however, we need to push our youth level on a bit to keep up... bigger budget, put some more into youth too please!

Im far from convinced either of those two will prove to be good enough for top league Scottish football. Championship maybe but they are no where near the standard of McLean and McGinn when they were playing for us.

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Im far from convinced either of those two will prove to be good enough for top league Scottish football. Championship maybe but they are no where near the standard of McLean and McGinn when they were playing for us.

McLean was a bit of a late developer and McGinn stole a march on him, ultimately starting the League Cup Final ahead of him.

If rumours at the time are correct, McLean was on the verge of being released but was given a second chance when Danny came in.

Ethan, in particular, has not long turned 18 and spent the season playing in a position not familiar to him.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

McLean was a bit of a late developer and McGinn stole a march on him, ultimately starting the League Cup Final ahead of him.

If rumours at the time are correct, McLean was on the verge of being released but was given a second chance when Danny came in.

Ethan, in particular, has not long turned 18 and spent the season playing in a position not familiar to him.

Aldo makes the point that Ethan is still very young. He has also played a lot more 1st team games than John or Kenny did by the time that they were 18 too.

MacPherson really helped us when we were short this season too. Some games he was very decent, in others he showed he has a bit to improve - but it is incredibly difficult stepping up at every level... best we see if they push on further this coming season or not.

I for one would not be perturbed if we had so strong a squad that both of them went out on loan to Championship or League 1 side - they need games and chances are they will mainly be squad players for us...

Edited by Sweeper07

54 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I remember McLean being criticised frequently during his tenure with us especially during the months TC was in charge before Gary Teale reinvigorated him, not so much McGinn though.

I remember McLean being criticised frequently during his tenure with us especially during the months TC was in charge before Gary Teale reinvigorated him, not so much McGinn though.
Both of them received regular criticism from idiots not prepared to get behind young players and support them through the inevitable form dips.

McLean apparently was believing his own press and not trying a leg, whereas McGinn was accused of downing tools and working his ticket.

I stood by both lads 100% in firm belief that both would go on to be Scotland regulars.

We have a great record of being impatient with young players rather than encouraging them.

Mallan, McAllister, Baird... All had a turn of being the easy target!

Look at the comments directed toward Erahon just now!

Hardly encouraging!

20 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Both of them received regular criticism from idiots not prepared to get behind young players and support them through the inevitable form dips.

McLean apparently was believing his own press and not trying a leg, whereas McGinn was accused of downing tools and working his ticket.

I stood by both lads 100% in firm belief that both would go on to be Scotland regulars.

We have a great record of being impatient with young players rather than encouraging them.

Hardly encouraging!

I think that's probably true of this forum but the St Mirren support on game days is entirely different and has been very patient and hugely supportive of all players really since Jack Ross saved us from dropping into the third tier. That patience and support is extended now on game days to Oran Kearney. It's a unique feature of our Club right now and I think players appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Think they need to go out on loan to a team where they will be playing every week in their preferred position .

I think that's probably true of this forum but the St Mirren support on game days is entirely different and has been very patient and hugely supportive of all players really since Jack Ross saved us from dropping into the third tier. That patience and support is extended now on game days to Oran Kearney. It's a unique feature of our Club right now and I think players appreciate it.
Hopefully you are right and that improvement is sustained.
Would be unique... I'm old enough to remember the abuse Billy Stark used to get for being "Lazy"!

Guest TPAFKATS

Hardly encouraging!
I blame cheesy

8 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

He was a young boy most fans get it cant be 100% all of the time. Then their that those who don't care if it's a 17 year old or a 37 year old making a mistake. You can not educate the latter that Colin is the bottom line. 

I have yet to see any official confirmation that Saints are due any part of a fee agreed between Hibs and Villa

Surely this confirms that we are due any part of a fee agreed between Hibs and Villa?
This reply from my source on the board would -
Regarding John, it will depend if Hibs have a clause about his promotion in their agreement with Villa. If they do we would be entitled to a percentage of that, but I don't know if they have that clause. My guess is that they will, but the amount we would get won't be huge, although a nice bonus if it does come  

10 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

He was a young boy most fans get it cant be 100% all of the time. Then their that those who don't care if it's a 17 year old or a 37 year old making a mistake. You can not educate the latter that Colin is the bottom line. 

I don't boo our players at matches and seldom if ever criticise players on-field performances especially young players and double especially young players being introduced to a struggling side but plenty do.

Managers are different - I've been critical of signings which I don't think will work but as I say I think that's different.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't boo our players at matches and seldom if ever criticise players on-field performances especially young players and double especially young players being introduced to a struggling side but plenty do.

Managers are different - I've been critical of signings which I don't think will work but as I say I think that's different.

They are all human . . . it is often too easy to criticise while standing at the side... loads of pressures behind the scenes and players part injured or having a difficult time in their personal life and the like has an effect on how the team performs - yet the buck often stops with the manager, or perhaps the BOD.

Managers have to be able to put in younger players knowing that they need game time to get-up-to-speed, and also knowing they themselves will be criticised for playing someone who is "not good enough yet".. 

McLean wasn’t exactly like Zidane during his time with us. It was his hard work and regular game time that helped develop him into the quality player he would eventually become for us. He most definitely wasn’t a standout player in the beginning, but that was to be expected - he was a young lad at the time, working on his game. Those trying to compare McPherson and Erhahon as poorer players are wasting their time because Kenny wasn’t exactly setting the heather alight in his early days. I’m not saying Ethan and Cammy will be as successful, or even become regular SPL players, but Kenny’s first season wouldn’t have had you thinking he’s got a future in the EPL, because it was too early on in his career to know his full ability.

Erhahon has done a great job IMO, not many 17 year olds are asked to play out of position in the top flight. That was a lot of trust placed in the young man, and even if he never plays there again, he will have learned tons from this experience. I would like to see us loan him out to a decent Championship club next season who will play him in his actual position.

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

McLean wasn’t exactly like Zidane during his time with us. It was his hard work and regular game time that helped develop him into the quality player he would eventually become for us. He most definitely wasn’t a standout player in the beginning, but that was to be expected - he was a young lad at the time, working on his game. Those trying to compare McPherson and Erhahon as poorer players are wasting their time because Kenny wasn’t exactly setting the heather alight in his early days. I’m not saying Ethan and Cammy will be as successful, or even become regular SPL players, but Kenny’s first season wouldn’t have had you thinking he’s got a future in the EPL, because it was too early on in his career to know his full ability.

Erhahon has done a great job IMO, not many 17 year olds are asked to play out of position in the top flight. That was a lot of trust placed in the young man, and even if he never plays there again, he will have learned tons from this experience. I would like to see us loan him out to a decent Championship club next season who will play him in his actual position.

What he did do, IMO, was show exceptional talent, albeit sparingly, indicating he had something.

Unfortunately, he didn't show anything last Saturday for Scotland, maybe saving it for tonight.