Scotland U21 squad (Zero Saints players)

Nobody in the latest U21 squad. 

Have we given up on trying to develop youth or it just isn't working(nobody coming through)

Thoughts??????

Goalkeepers: Ross Doohan (Ayr United, on loan from Celtic), Robby McCrorie (Greenock Morton, on loan from Rangers) .

Defenders: Jamie Brandon (Heart of Midlothian), Daniel Harvie (Ayr United), George Johnston (Liverpool), Sean Mackie (Hibernian), Barry Maguire (Queen of the South, on loan from Motherwell), Ross McCrorie (Rangers), Patrick Reading (Middlesbrough), Iain Wilson (Queen of the South, on loan from Kilmarnock).

Midfielders: Allan Campbell (Motherwell), Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), Jordan Holsgrove (Reading), Connor McLennan (Aberdeen), Calvin Miller (Ayr United, on loan from Celtic), Callumn Morrison (Heart of Midlothian), David Turnbull (Motherwell).

Forwards: Jake Hastie (Motherwell), Fraser Hornby (Everton), Ben House (Swindon Town, on loan from Reading), Michael Johnston (Celtic), Oli Shaw (Hibernian).

We haven’t got an awful lot of quality in the youth atm. Erhahon will surely make the U21s at some point in the future. Magennis was stated above as injured, otherwise he’d be there. Cammy is doing well in his breakthrough season but hasn’t made the team.

We are seeing positives from the likes of Glover and Jamieson but they aren’t ready yet for the SPL.

Id hardly say we’ve “given up” on youth. The spell we had of McLean/Mallan/J.McGinn/Morgan was one of those rare pleasures, it was always going to be hard to carry it on.

44 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Have we given up on trying to develop youth or it just isn't working(nobody coming through)

Thoughts??????

Goalkeepers: Ross Doohan (Ayr United, on loan from Celtic), Robby McCrorie (Greenock Morton, on loan from Rangers) .

Defenders: Jamie Brandon (Heart of Midlothian), Daniel Harvie (Ayr United), George Johnston (Liverpool), Sean Mackie (Hibernian), Barry Maguire (Queen of the South, on loan from Motherwell), Ross McCrorie (Rangers), Patrick Reading (Middlesbrough), Iain Wilson (Queen of the South, on loan from Kilmarnock).

Midfielders: Allan Campbell (Motherwell), Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen), Jordan Holsgrove (Reading), Connor McLennan (Aberdeen), Calvin Miller (Ayr United, on loan from Celtic), Callumn Morrison (Heart of Midlothian), David Turnbull (Motherwell).

Forwards: Jake Hastie (Motherwell), Fraser Hornby (Everton), Ben House (Swindon Town, on loan from Reading), Michael Johnston (Celtic), Oli Shaw (Hibernian).

Magennis would have been there or there about, MacPherson, Erhahon likely not a million miles away, Jamieson, Breadner next one in with a shout.

There isn't a single sign we've given up on youth. We've just spent £150k on the Ralston surface to help with the youth teams. 

5 minutes ago, norman said:

Giving up on youth? We've had a 17 year old start in almost every game this season.

I ask the question because we are a club who is/or should be focused on developing young players, yet we have nobody in the U21 squad.

If the youth system is working, then why nobody in the squad?????

Edited by Prague Buddie

2 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I ask the question because we are a club who is/or should be focused on developing young players, yet we have nobody in the U21 squad.

Probably because Kyle Magennis is injured.

1 hour ago, Prague Buddie said:

Thoughts??????

When you look at the breakdown of representation across the clubs you could hardly say that it's not working.

Especially when you consider, as others have said, that Magennis would be in there if fit. Add in the fact that we have a 17 year old starting almost every game at Premier league level and he's currently at U18 Scotland level do heading in the right direction. Also worth considering that we lost McAllister to Derby at a very young age and if with more games under his belt you'd expect him to be in the squad. 

If anything, we've contributed a higher number of U21's than expected over the years. Hopefully that continues but no need for pushing the panic button just yet. 

Motherwell - 4

Celtic, Hibs - 3

Rangers, Hearts, Reading - 2

Kilmarnock, Everton, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Ayr Utd, Aberdeen - 1

5/12 SPL teams don't have any players in the squad. 

Edited by Maboza

39 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Because it's a massively competitive squad for a team of St Mirrens level to get into. From a quick scan there is no one from Hamilton, St Johnstone, Dundee, Livi in the squad either and only two for Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

Us not getting players into one Scotland under 21 squad isn't in anyway a sign a youth structure that has brought in millions in recent years is no longer working. More often than not we have players in and if Magennis was fit I'm sure he'd be a contender with Erhahon not far off at only 17. 

2 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Because it’s a bit of a cycle. We have a number of good players coming through, but there’s a wee bit of a gap and they are a year or two away.

Kyle probably would have been in the squad, Ethan is too young with more experienced players ahead of him and Cammy has only recently come through, and he’s got a bit to go before he’s competing with Campbell, Ferguson and Turnbull.

3 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Sorry, I must’ve missed us signing the “divine right” agreement to have players in the Scotland U21 squad. :blink:

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry, I must’ve missed us signing the “divine right” agreement to have players in the Scotland U21 squad. :blink:

I am not saying we have a "divine right", but we certainly aren't so well represented in any of the age categories.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but after having a look at all the recent squads all the way down to U16 level, we have nobody in there except Erhahon at U18 level.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Edited by Prague Buddie

30 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

I am not saying we have a "divine right", but we certainly aren't so well represented in any of the age categories.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but after having a look at all the recent squads all the way down to U16 level, we have nobody in there except Erhahon at U18 level.

That’s my point though. We had a wee purple patch recently with Mallan, Magennis and Morgan, but not having anyone in the squads is probably our more common default position. It’s hardly unusual. Doesn’t mean we’re giving up on youth, or even that we don’t have any decent youth players. It just means that currently the powers that be deem that other teams have better youth players than us.

8 hours ago, mattman said:

I think we have a greatness youth set up, our weakpoint is not being able to tie these young players down and get some right proper cash for them

Don’t think it’s really a weakness of ours as such Mattman. Think it’s just our place in the foodchain. Young players who know they are good, are unlikely to tie themselves down for any length of time, particularly when they get to about 20. Even on occasions when we have managed to tie players down we’ve tended to get pretty derisory sums for them as other clubs know they only have to pay clubs like us buttons. I’m honestly not sure there’s much the club can do about that. It’s just a fact of life. 

8 hours ago, mattman said:

I think we have a greatness youth set up, our weakpoint is not being able to tie these young players down and get some right proper cash for them

I'm not sure we can consider this a weakness, tying any player down is a lottery. By the time it becomes clear we want to have them tied down it could be too late, if we go to early we run the risk of having poorer young players on long-term deals.

For every Mccalister, Morgan and Mallan there's a whole bunch of O'Keefe's, Flanagan's & Thomas Reilly's.  

• 2 weeks later...