Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ALBIONSAINT

The John Potter appreciation thread

Recommended Posts

John Potter will be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame at the club's end of season dinner on Friday 24th May 2019, at the Normandy Hotel sponsored by Walker Laird Solicitors & Estate Agents.

John, who began his career at Celtic and had a spell at Dunfermline, joined St Mirren in 2005 from Clyde and helped the club win the Challenge Cup and promotion to the then Scottish Premier League in his first season at the Buddies.

At the beginning of the 2008/09 season, Potter was named club captain. That season the club finished 11th in the Premier League and reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup – knocking out Celtic in the quarter final.

The following season Saints finished 10th and made the League Cup final.

In the 2010-11 season, John’s final season at the club, Saints ended the season in 11th place and reached the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

In the summer of 2011 the defender left the club to return to Dunfermline having made 234 appearances for Saints scoring two goals.

He joins Willie Telfer and Cammy Murray in being inducted into the Hall of Fame at the end of the season with one more name to be announced.

 I seem to remember he got a lot of stick on here for being a poor defender! Sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have till it’s gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big bad John...

Actually overall he was a great servant. Only positive thing he did not do much was score goals - a good old fashioned sweeper and a great defensive organiser.

Yeah he made the occasional mistake too - but he was one of our better performers for years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked JP, felt he was always castrated for any little mistake while other CBs seemed to get away with it more because they were “likeable”. Had Robbie Keane in his back pocket when we pumped the bigots 4-0. Was an excellent servant to the club, not the best player but always gave 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

John Potter will be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame at the club's end of season dinner on Friday 24th May 2019, at the Normandy Hotel sponsored by Walker Laird Solicitors & Estate Agents.

John, who began his career at Celtic and had a spell at Dunfermline, joined St Mirren in 2005 from Clyde and helped the club win the Challenge Cup and promotion to the then Scottish Premier League in his first season at the Buddies.

At the beginning of the 2008/09 season, Potter was named club captain. That season the club finished 11th in the Premier League and reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup – knocking out Celtic in the quarter final.

The following season Saints finished 10th and made the League Cup final.

In the 2010-11 season, John’s final season at the club, Saints ended the season in 11th place and reached the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

In the summer of 2011 the defender left the club to return to Dunfermline having made 234 appearances for Saints scoring two goals.

He joins Willie Telfer and Cammy Murray in being inducted into the Hall of Fame at the end of the season with one more name to be announced.

 I seem to remember he got a lot of stick on here for being a poor defender! Sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have till it’s gone. 

Exactly..... Thats how i felt when Cole Kpekawa left :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Potter - 43 on the all  time appearance list plus 2 minor trophies and a major final appearance.

 

Over the years Saints have had some fine servants.
Below is a list of the top players who have contributed to the history of the club.
Included in the lists are players who have played in 200 or more competitive matches or have scored more than 30 competitive goals for the first team.

 

1

Davie McCrae

1924-1934

251

2

Alex Linwood*1

1938-1946

19

164

3

Jimmy Knox

1931-1939

157

4=

Robert Rankin

1926-1934
1937-1941

102

4=

Frank McGarvey

1974-1979
1985-1990

102

6

Tommy Gemmell

1951-1962

96

7=

James Thomson

1918-1929

84

7=

Billy Stark

1975-1983

84

9

Alex Wylie

1890-1901

82

10

Dunky Walker

1921-1923

76

11=

Barry Lavety

1991-1996
1999-2000
2003-2004

72

11=

Jim Blair

1967-1970
1971-1972

72

13=

Mark Yardley

1995-2003

71

13=

Jimmy McGregor

1932-1938

71

15

Tommy Bryceland

1956-1962
1972

69

16

Gerry Baker

1958-1960

66

17=

Frank McDougall

1979-1984

64

17=

Doug Somner

1979-1983

64

17=

Thomas Brady*1

1939-1943

64

20

Frank McAvennie

1980-1985

63

21=

James Cunningham

1904-1911

59

21=

Ally McLeod

1970-1973

59

23

Ricky Gillies

1992-1997
2000-2005

56

24

Alan Gebbie

1924-1936

55

25=

David Lapsley

1946-1959

54

25=

Steven Thompson

2011-2016

54

27=

Bobby McKean

1969-1974

47

27=

Don Kerrigan

1958-1963

47

27=

George Stewart

1950-1954

47

30

Johnny Deakin*1

1937-1949

22
46

31=

Peter Kane

1967-1970

45

31=

John Sutton

2005-2007

2016-2018

45

33

Jim Rodger

1955-1962

44

34=

Bobby Adamson

1965-1970

43

34=

David Wyllie

1904-1908

43

36=

Bobby Holmes

1954-1960

40

36=

Ian Scanlon

1981-1986

40

36=

Donnie McDowell

1974-1977

40

39=

Billy Mehmet

2005-2010

39

39=

Jimmy Stenhouse*1

1941-1947

1
39

41

David Lindsay

1899-1905

38

42

Alfons Lesz

1947-1952

37

43=

Dunky McGill

1951-1954
1956-1958

36

43=

Gerry Burrell

1947-1951

36

43=

John MacKenzie

1934-1938

36

46=

Jimmy Bone

1978-1982

35

46=

Arthur Milne

1946-1950

35

48=

Derek Hyslop

1975-1979

33

48=

Willie Telfer

1943-1957

33

50=

Alistair Miller

1957-1962

30

50=

Thomas Milne

1907-1912

30

 

Appearances
   

1

Willie Telfer *1

1943-1957

436
505

2

   Hugh Murray

1997-2012

468

2

Tony Fitzpatrick

1973-1979
1981-1989

458

4

Cammy Murray

1962-1972

416

5

John Miller

1925-1939

395

6

David Lapsley

1946-1959

393

7

Campbell Money

1978-1996

391

8

James Thomson

1918-1929

378

9

Billy Abercromby

1975-1988

375

10

Davie McCrae

1924-1934

352

11

Billy Stark

1975-1983

345

12

Frank McGarvey

1974-1979
1985-1990

341

13

Tommy Gemmell

1951-1962

336

14

David van Zanten

2003-2008
2010-2014

332

15

Alan Gebbie

1924-1936

331

16

John Wilson

1955-1967

320

17

Ricky Gillies

1992-1997
2000-2005

318

18

Michael McAvoy

1886-1909

314

19=

Norrie McWhirter

1985-2000

299

19=

Lex Richardson

1976-1983

299

21

Barry McLaughlin

1991-2002

295

22

Billy Thomson

1978-1984

286

23

Jackie Neilson

1949-1960

285

24

Robert Rankin

1926-1934
1937-1941

280

24=

Johnny Deakin*1

1937-1949

135
280

26

John Young

1974-1982

275

27=

Jackie Copland

1967-1968
1976-1983

274

27=

William Kelly*1

1934-1945

125
274

29

Jimmy Knox

1931-1939

270

30

Paul Lambert

1985-1993

261

31=

Walter Hay

1924-1935

258

31=

Iain Munro

1969-1973
1977-1980

258

33

Mark Yardley

1995-2003

252

34

Robert Robertson

1901-1912

251

35

Andrew Findlay

1922-1929

246

36

Alex Beckett

1974-1983

245

37

Andrew Reid

1908-1917

242

38

Jim Clunie

1960-1965
1966-1967

241

39

Tom Jackson

1898-1911

240

40=

Jock Bradford

1921-1927

239

40=

Tommy Wilson

1982-1989

239

42

Alex Linwood

1938-1946

40
235

43

John Potter

2005-2011

234

44

George Walker

1926-1933

232

45

William McDonald

1923-1930

231

46

Willie Johnstone

1948-1958

222

47

Donald Greenlees

1897-1899
1900-1907

219

48

Joe Craven*1

1936-1942

113
216

49

Barry Lavety

1991-1995
1999-2000
2003-2003

215

50=

Bobby Ancell

1930-1936

210

50=

Peter Godfrey

1985-1991

210

50=

Jimmy Drinkwater*1

1941-1952

154
210

53

Mark Fulton

1977-1985

206

54

Willie O'Hagan

1912-1921

206

55

Willie Summers

1921-1927

203

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I always liked JP, felt he was always castrated for any little mistake while other CBs seemed to get away with it more because they were “likeable”. Had Robbie Keane in his back pocket when we pumped the bigots 4-0. Was an excellent servant to the club, not the best player but always gave 100%.

Blimey that's a bit harsh. I would probably have just castigated him. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at who is in and who is not. Is it right that Paul Lambert is not in this yet?

If so, he's in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame, but not ours.

I know he was a major cup winner at 17, made over 250 appearances, went on to captain Scotland, win the Champions League, etc, but most notably he delivered the line "be there or be square" on the cup final 7" single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I always liked JP, felt he was always castrated for any little mistake while other CBs seemed to get away with it more because they were “likeable”. Had Robbie Keane in his back pocket when we pumped the bigots 4-0. Was an excellent servant to the club, not the best player but always gave 100%.

It took balls to say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 10:24 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

John Potter will be inducted into the St Mirren Hall of Fame at the club's end of season dinner on Friday 24th May 2019, at the Normandy Hotel sponsored by Walker Laird Solicitors & Estate Agents.

John, who began his career at Celtic and had a spell at Dunfermline, joined St Mirren in 2005 from Clyde and helped the club win the Challenge Cup and promotion to the then Scottish Premier League in his first season at the Buddies.

At the beginning of the 2008/09 season, Potter was named club captain. That season the club finished 11th in the Premier League and reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup – knocking out Celtic in the quarter final.

The following season Saints finished 10th and made the League Cup final.

In the 2010-11 season, John’s final season at the club, Saints ended the season in 11th place and reached the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

In the summer of 2011 the defender left the club to return to Dunfermline having made 234 appearances for Saints scoring two goals.

He joins Willie Telfer and Cammy Murray in being inducted into the Hall of Fame at the end of the season with one more name to be announced.

 I seem to remember he got a lot of stick on here for being a poor defender! sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have till it’s gone. 

It appears by some of the comments above that not much has changed. At least the forum is consistent. Still not sure what John did to get so many fans backs up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I always liked JP, felt he was always castrated for any little mistake while other CBs seemed to get away with it more because they were “likeable”. Had Robbie Keane in his back pocket when we pumped the bigots 4-0. Was an excellent servant to the club, not the best player but always gave 100%.

I REALLY do hope you meant castigated ......please!!!!!

 

sorry TPAFKA; I really should read everything before posting  :wub:

Edited by jaybee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

John Potter - 43 on the all  time appearance list plus 2 minor trophies and a major final appearance.

 

Over the years Saints have had some fine servants.
Below is a list of the top players who have contributed to the history of the club.
Included in the lists are players who have played in 200 or more competitive matches or have scored more than 30 competitive goals for the first team.

 

1

Davie McCrae

1924-1934

251

2

Alex Linwood*1

1938-1946

19

164

3

Jimmy Knox

1931-1939

157

4=

Robert Rankin

1926-1934
1937-1941

102

4=

Frank McGarvey

1974-1979
1985-1990

102

6

Tommy Gemmell

1951-1962

96

7=

James Thomson

1918-1929

84

7=

Billy Stark

1975-1983

84

9

Alex Wylie

1890-1901

82

10

Dunky Walker

1921-1923

76

11=

Barry Lavety

1991-1996
1999-2000
2003-2004

72

11=

Jim Blair

1967-1970
1971-1972

72

13=

Mark Yardley

1995-2003

71

13=

Jimmy McGregor

1932-1938

71

15

Tommy Bryceland

1956-1962
1972

69

16

Gerry Baker

1958-1960

66

17=

Frank McDougall

1979-1984

64

17=

Doug Somner

1979-1983

64

17=

Thomas Brady*1

1939-1943

64

20

Frank McAvennie

1980-1985

63

21=

James Cunningham

1904-1911

59

21=

Ally McLeod

1970-1973

59

23

Ricky Gillies

1992-1997
2000-2005

56

24

Alan Gebbie

1924-1936

55

25=

David Lapsley

1946-1959

54

25=

Steven Thompson

2011-2016

54

27=

Bobby McKean

1969-1974

47

27=

Don Kerrigan

1958-1963

47

27=

George Stewart

1950-1954

47

30

Johnny Deakin*1

1937-1949

22
46

31=

Peter Kane

1967-1970

45

31=

John Sutton

2005-2007

2016-2018

45

33

Jim Rodger

1955-1962

44

34=

Bobby Adamson

1965-1970

43

34=

David Wyllie

1904-1908

43

36=

Bobby Holmes

1954-1960

40

36=

Ian Scanlon

1981-1986

40

36=

Donnie McDowell

1974-1977

40

39=

Billy Mehmet

2005-2010

39

39=

Jimmy Stenhouse*1

1941-1947

1
39

41

David Lindsay

1899-1905

38

42

Alfons Lesz

1947-1952

37

43=

Dunky McGill

1951-1954
1956-1958

36

43=

Gerry Burrell

1947-1951

36

43=

John MacKenzie

1934-1938

36

46=

Jimmy Bone

1978-1982

35

46=

Arthur Milne

1946-1950

35

48=

Derek Hyslop

1975-1979

33

48=

Willie Telfer

1943-1957

33

50=

Alistair Miller

1957-1962

30

50=

Thomas Milne

1907-1912

30

 

Appearances
   

1

Willie Telfer *1

1943-1957

436
505

2

   Hugh Murray

1997-2012

468

2

Tony Fitzpatrick

1973-1979
1981-1989

458

4

Cammy Murray

1962-1972

416

5

John Miller

1925-1939

395

6

David Lapsley

1946-1959

393

7

Campbell Money

1978-1996

391

8

James Thomson

1918-1929

378

9

Billy Abercromby

1975-1988

375

10

Davie McCrae

1924-1934

352

11

Billy Stark

1975-1983

345

12

Frank McGarvey

1974-1979
1985-1990

341

13

Tommy Gemmell

1951-1962

336

14

David van Zanten

2003-2008
2010-2014

332

15

Alan Gebbie

1924-1936

331

16

John Wilson

1955-1967

320

17

Ricky Gillies

1992-1997
2000-2005

318

18

Michael McAvoy

1886-1909

314

19=

Norrie McWhirter

1985-2000

299

19=

Lex Richardson

1976-1983

299

21

Barry McLaughlin

1991-2002

295

22

Billy Thomson

1978-1984

286

23

Jackie Neilson

1949-1960

285

24

Robert Rankin

1926-1934
1937-1941

280

24=

Johnny Deakin*1

1937-1949

135
280

26

John Young

1974-1982

275

27=

Jackie Copland

1967-1968
1976-1983

274

27=

William Kelly*1

1934-1945

125
274

29

Jimmy Knox

1931-1939

270

30

Paul Lambert

1985-1993

261

31=

Walter Hay

1924-1935

258

31=

Iain Munro

1969-1973
1977-1980

258

33

Mark Yardley

1995-2003

252

34

Robert Robertson

1901-1912

251

35

Andrew Findlay

1922-1929

246

36

Alex Beckett

1974-1983

245

37

Andrew Reid

1908-1917

242

38

Jim Clunie

1960-1965
1966-1967

241

39

Tom Jackson

1898-1911

240

40=

Jock Bradford

1921-1927

239

40=

Tommy Wilson

1982-1989

239

42

Alex Linwood

1938-1946

40
235

43

John Potter

2005-2011

234

44

George Walker

1926-1933

232

45

William McDonald

1923-1930

231

46

Willie Johnstone

1948-1958

222

47

Donald Greenlees

1897-1899
1900-1907

219

48

Joe Craven*1

1936-1942

113
216

49

Barry Lavety

1991-1995
1999-2000
2003-2003

215

50=

Bobby Ancell

1930-1936

210

50=

Peter Godfrey

1985-1991

210

50=

Jimmy Drinkwater*1

1941-1952

154
210

53

Mark Fulton

1977-1985

206

54

Willie O'Hagan

1912-1921

206

55

Willie Summers

1921-1927

203

If you've got pals in high places you get as the yanks say a 'Line Pass'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...