Craig Samson hall of fame

17 hours ago, FTOF said:

Have they all played at the top level, won a championship and won a national cup with us?

If so, I agree with you.

No , but none of them were mercenaries who f**ked off twice , at the first time of asking !

19 hours ago, billyg said:

No , but none of them were mercenaries who f**ked off twice , at the first time of asking !

I see a player who was offered way more money than we could offer and left for another club. The second time to a much bigger club.

Hardly unusual for our players.

If we're going to award hall of fame places based on whether a player leaves for another club in order to further their careers, then we might as well not bother.

I can see why some people share your view, but for me it's part and parcel of supporting a club like St.Mirren.

Winning the semi final in 2013 was in some ways sweeter than winning the final because we beat Celtic fair and square, Samson was a huge part of that. For that reason alone he'll be a St Mirren legend for me, we waited 26 years to win a national cup and it gave us all great memories that will last the rest of our lives.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, paul torfason said:

Never really forgave him for doing the Judas on us when we went down,and as good as he was at saving pens,he was terrible at cross balls and corner kicks and any decent striker just had to drill ball low and hard at his feet and was a goal as leigh Griffith did several times to him and loads of other players

Would agree. A decent shot stopper is the minimum requirement for a keeper. He wasn't even that.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

Winning the semi final in 2013 was in some ways sweeter than winning the final because we beat Celtic fair and square, Samson was a huge part of that. For that reason alone he'll be a St Mirren legend for me, we waited 26 years to win a national cup and it gave us all great memories that will last the rest of our lives.

Agreed, that Celtic game was just as huge tbh. If Sammy hadn’t saved that penalty, I wouldn’t have seen us recover from 2-1 down in the 2nd half. Then it would have just been another painful semi final memory.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, Mr Optimistic said:

Samson and Potter were average footballers at best. Should not be anywhere near a St Mirren Hall of Fame in my opinion. Have nothing against either of them and recognise they both played in teams who achieved success but to mention them in the same breath as Telfer,Copland, Money, McGarvey, Fitzpatrick, Lapsley, Bryceland, Murray, Stark, Somner. McWhirter, Thompson, Richardson and Abercromby is ludicrous!! 

With all due respect, in recent years we have been an average club at best and these guys are recognized for their service/efforts and achievements during that period.

Some people need to be a bit more realistic.

I agree Panda,I was lucky enough to grow up around our strongest teams of the early eighties 3rd in the league and 4 semifinals an Anglo Scottish cup were great memories but it was arguably weaker teams that won us silverware in the latter years and these guys deserve to be recognised,but I would give a limb to have a Doug somner frank macdougal macavennie now though [emoji3]

4 hours ago, spankin_panda said:

With all due respect, in recent years we have been an average club at best and these guys are recognized for their service/efforts and achievements during that period.

Some people need to be a bit more realistic.

Hall of fame should not be about mediocrity. Handing it to Samson and Potter, in my opinion makes a mockery of it. 

15 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Hall of fame should not be about mediocrity. Handing it to Samson and Potter, in my opinion makes a mockery of it. 

To my mind, saving a penalty in such circumstances is above mediocre.

a cup semi final: at Hampden: just as the game restarts after HT: against Celtic: that allows his team breathing space to beat them and progress to win the cup?

there was a fair bit of pressure on that mediocre penalty save.

oh - and captain potter crapped in a pumpkin.

if that is not legend, what is?  :rolleyes:

Edited by antrin
For flippancy

On 3/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, Mr Optimistic said:

However, in a time where the club have at best been mediocre these guys were long serving players who helped us achieve good things; 

Samason in particular; a national cup win, including a pen save in the semi final over Celtic and a league title and equaled the home clean sheets record for a goalie? No bad for mediocrity.  

This "Hall of Fame" is just clearly now an excuse to have sponsored dinners! Which I believe is the only means of making money our commercial department is aware of :lol:

Sammy is indeed a St Mirren legend, but he did retire mid-season, leaving us in the lurch in the middle of a relegation battle. I think it might have been better to let the dust settle on that before declaring him a "hall of famer". I suppose if we are paying JP's petrol to come up from Sunderland though it makes economic sense!

4 hours ago, spankin_panda said:

However, in a time where the club have at best been mediocre these guys were long serving players who helped us achieve good things; 

Samason in particular; a national cup win, including a pen save in the semi final over Celtic and a league title and equaled the home clean sheets record for a goalie? No bad for mediocrity.  

Craig Samson played all his best fitba in St Mirren colours

That doesn't happen often