St. Mirren v Dundee (March 2019)

Sweeper07

59 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Have you had a dream?

I personally agree that both Jackson and the Duck should play the full game, barring injuries or us leading by 4 or more. (who will be dropped... Flynn, Lyons, MacPherson or ?)

I think we could win by even more than 2 - 1 , but the reality of the pressure will encourage either side to sit in more cautiously if they are ahead.

McAllister needs to contribute more and hopefully Tansey is fully fit and ready to lead the charge (replacing Erhahon)  .  .  .

Any chance Magennis might be fully fit in time and bang in a brace > > >   I wish :magic

On last night's showing,  I wouldn't be too fussed if either of Lyons or Macpherson were dropped.  Too lightweight. 

2 hours ago, munoz said:

On last night's showing,  I wouldn't be too fussed if either of Lyons or Macpherson were dropped.  Too lightweight. 

I do think that is a big part of the issue. MacPherson to be fair has had some good matches, but guys like Lyons, Dreyer etc. are having to learn to compete at a higher level than they have experienced before joining us. The Fakes were physically strong and they know how to push "lighter" less "street wise" players around and it unsettles them.. Hamilton have ben famous for this for years.

The other issue is we have at least 4 better players out through injury and that is a big loss for us. 3 midfielders, the other being Hodson who is capable of playing defence or midfield i.e. guys like Tansey, McGinn and Magennis - if they were firing on all cylinders and fully fit, we would be a lot stronger centrally and overall.

There is no time for feeling sorry for ourselves... the mental support and tactical plans need to be clear and good. The players need to be a team and pull together, encourage one another and support each other to keep the heads up and the blood pumping.

We need goals for too - they win games . . . Ideally we start with Nazon and Jackson with Cooke and Mullen as fresh legs when needed or if McAllister is not making any headway.

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

mm interesting logic . . .  You don't think attacking their weak defence is a good idea because you fear their forwards. If we keep it tight and stop them scoring - great, but we have to score at least 1 goal to win.

Last night our defence was good - 1 crazy mistake and 1 or 2 other lapses. Dee's defence is very poor. They will sit in tight and try to hit us on the break, but that gives us a very real opportunity to attack like crazy - we get the 1st goal and their game plan has to change to plan B. Our defence just need to do their job - mark Nelson and whoever, and our midfield also need to not only be attack minded, but cut off their "catch us on the break strategy".

Nazon and Jackson for 90 minutes - tell them all week that they will both be getting goals for us, and guys on the edge of the box to pick up the scraps and HIT the target not the crowd.

I really believe that we can do this - but only time will tell !

Were not a good enough team to go Gung Ho against anyone lets not kid ourselves,  doing so in this game will play right into Dundee's hands, their defence is poor and we will get our chances and hopefully our shot shy strikers will take them when we do,  Dundee could easily have picked off Celtic last week they surely will with us if we are naive,  This is Dundee's chance to bury us, they'll be up for this just as much as us,  win ugly if we have to 

If Oran reverts to the old 2 3 5 formation that old Tedious Tom used to play back in the day and wins 6-0 i will gladly walk down Portmahomack Main St in the nude :moony2 not for the fainthearted i may add, 

11 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Were not a good enough team to go Gung Ho against anyone lets not kid ourselves,  doing so in this game will play right into Dundee's hands, their defence is poor and we will get our chances and hopefully our shot shy strikers will take them when we do,  Dundee could easily have picked off Celtic last week they surely will with us if we are naive,  This is Dundee's chance to bury us, they'll be up for this just as much as us,  win ugly if we have to 

If Oran reverts to the old 2 3 5 formation that old Tedious Tom used to play back in the day and wins 6-0 i will gladly walk down Portmahomack Main St in the nude :moony2 not for the fainthearted i may add, 

I do get where you are coming from but who's is suggesting we go gung ho?

If we sit tight and hit on the break as per their game plan, there is a high chance of a 0 v 0 draw. 3 points is a big prize and passing them is there if we take it.

You are right they sat back and nearly got something against Tic but Tic missed many glaring chances that day.

They tried the same tactics against Hearts and also lost  1  v 0 where as we got a draw with Hearts by scoring 2 goals, but could have won.

They lost 4 goals to Hibs and Sevco last month too.

I never suggested a straight 2 - 3 - 5 - as we don't have 5 fit strikers anyway. I suggested 3 CB with 2 WB's covering the FB positions, but able to push on into the midfield or wings on occasion. A solid 3 in MF and our 2 best strikers.

Dee will play their hit us on the break tactics unless they are behind - then they will have to come out a bit. So getting right into them from the off and getting the first goal would set us up nicely. 

30 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I do get where you are coming from but who's is suggesting we go gung ho?

If we sit tight and hit on the break as per their game plan, there is a high chance of a 0 v 0 draw. 3 points is a big prize and passing them is there if we take it.

You are right they sat back and nearly got something against Tic but Tic missed many glaring chances that day.

They tried the same tactics against Hearts and also lost  1  v 0 where as we got a draw with Hearts by scoring 2 goals, but could have won.

They lost 4 goals to Hibs and Sevco last month too.

I never suggested a straight 2 - 3 - 5 - as we don't have 5 fit strikers anyway. I suggested 3 CB with 2 WB's covering the FB positions, but able to push on into the midfield or wings on occasion. A solid 3 in MF and our 2 best strikers.

Dee will play their hit us on the break tactics unless they are behind - then they will have to come out a bit. So getting right into them from the off and getting the first goal would set us up nicely. 

Got the feeling they will reverse what we did to them first game of the season. Btw if its all in reverse the game should finish five minutes early too!

We played two up front against the Fakes - McAllister and Jackson. McAllister kept wandering about though trying the find the ball as the high balls (and midfield) were not helping him or Jackson. Ethan stayed on the half way line most of the match providing no width on the left. Flynn was playing defensive midfielder and was the best in midfield but too deep to help the strikers. McGinn played well down the right getting in crosses and supporting the front players but Lyons and McPherson failed to support the front players enough and did not run into space anywhere near enough. So the front two only really had McGinn on the right for any support.

1 hour ago, Doakes said:

Hladky

Baird Popescu Muzek

McGinn                                            Corbu

MacPherson Lyons Flynn

McAllister

Nazon

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

We played two up front against the Fakes - McAllister and Jackson. McAllister kept wandering about though trying the find the ball as the high balls (and midfield) were not helping him or Jackson. Ethan stayed on the half way line most of the match providing no width on the left. Flynn was playing defensive midfielder and was the best in midfield but too deep to help the strikers. McGinn played well down the right getting in crosses and supporting the front players but Lyons and McPherson failed to support the front players enough and did not run into space anywhere near enough. So the front two only really had McGinn on the right for any support.

Why Lyons is in the team is a total mystery..he has offered nothing since he came to club...is slow, doesn't keep up with play, doesn't support front players, shooting is poor, soft in tackle..is as bad as any singings Stubbs made...

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Yes not been a problem recently

Don't ever need to play 2 upfront..that's a myth you are going for it..if midfield are supporting a lone striker then plenty of options..the problem at Saints is the players are so poor they do not have the ability to get forward and support striker....

Will we have a midfield for this?

Tansey is out long term. (Recurrence of injury he had at Aberdeen).

Erhahon suspended.

Flynn not injured apparently.

Will McAllister be fit?

McGinn still recovering from injury.

Not looking good for tomorrow I'm afraid.

Still, I'll be there giving what players we have left, my support.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Will we have a midfield for this?

Tansey is out long term. (Recurrence of injury he had at Aberdeen).

Erhahon suspended.

Flynn injured?

Will McAllister be fit?

McGinn still recovering from injury.

Not looking good for tomorrow I'm afraid.

Still, I'll be there giving what players we have left, my support.:rolleyes:

Is Flynn injured? 

Just now, FTOF said:

Sorry.

I thought I read somewhere on Wednesday night that he had been taken off injured.

He didn't look like he was limping or anything when he was subbed.  Certainly hope not. We really need S.McGinn back pronto for his leadership qualities.