Empowering the SMISA Membership to begin building for the future now.

Kombibuddie

Don't worry about speaking in public, you did well and I voted for your proposal.  One question on the vote which is obviously now after the event, but we were never given the proxy vote numbers. One member asked prior to the vote about proxy votes but there just seemed to be a recognition that some proxy votes had been received but the full vote count was never given . Was this the case (or did I just miss the number being given) ?
Thank you.

Yes, SMISA presented the proxy votes before the meeting.

There were 13 proxies, even if they were all in favour, there still wasn't enough to get near the 2/3 majority required.

Don't worry about speaking in public, you did well and I voted for your proposal.  One question on the vote which is obviously now after the event, but we were never given the proxy vote numbers. One member asked prior to the vote about proxy votes but there just seemed to be a recognition that some proxy votes had been received but the full vote count was never given . Was this the case (or did I just miss the number being given) ?
Of the proxy votes, five were from directors of the club.

In fairness to SMISA, those five votes were not counted in this vote due to potential conflict of interest. Right thing to do IMO.

Also worth noting that with the low turnout, the resolution had NO chance of being passed, as the SMISA board (and their partners) would obviously vote en masse to reject the resolution.

That's NOT a criticism... merely an observation! They were right to do so if that was their firm belief.

Learning from it though, if ANY member puts forward a proposal in future, the only way to have a fighting chance of having it passed is to canvass proxy votes, or better still, encourage more people to attend and participate in the discussions!

Well done Kombibuddie... You spoke well and blazed a trail in the name of democracy for grown ups!

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

As I didn't here him speak I could only go with what he wrote. His proposal was something that some/many had asked for and I didn't see anything that would be detrimental to SMISA. That is why as I couldn't make the AGM I gave Graeme my proxy vote.

KB, can you confirm that I was one of the proxy votes as all I got in reply was the automated reply for my email.

Cockles,

Yes, I had your proxy. With only 27 votes cast, that included the members of the SMISA board, there were 20 of 1221 members there.

I hope they didn't think I was joking when I said I'd see them next year :D. and the year after if need be.

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Of the proxy votes, five were from directors of the club.

In fairness to SMISA, those five votes were not counted in this vote due to potential conflict of interest. Right thing to do IMO.

Also worth noting that with the low turnout, the resolution had NO chance of being passed, as the SMISA board (and their partners) would obviously vote en masse to reject the resolution.

That's NOT a criticism... merely an observation! They were right to do so if that was their firm belief.

Learning from it though, if ANY member puts forward a proposal in future, the only way to have a fighting chance of having it passed is to canvass proxy votes, or better still, encourage more people to attend and participate in the discussions!

Well done Kombibuddie... You spoke well and blazed a trail in the name of democracy for grown ups!

Absolutely, I liked how he referenced this thread as a reason to put his proposal together after reading all the negative stuff without any decent ideas being put forward. It's a shame the agm isn't better attended but I have been to the last three and it seems to work. That's three years we have left the meeting heading to a crucial game and we have won. Can we arrange a meeting for Wednesday ?

Sad to hear, but knew inevitably that the smisa board would tilt every lever to stop Graeme's vote going through. Wasn't able to get there for the agm, voted by proxy, and got a rundown of the highlights. Absolutely shocking a smisa board member could say that the option to save for the future would complicate the vote, and then not be able to say how, it would be a complication.

Gordon was never going to let them/us bank the money for our rainy day fund. He has said even before BtB went through that our money would just be lying there and he has rifled it on a number of occasions now.

The fact a members proposal to buy Feckin hand dryers made it on to a vote on a nod, because the club wanted the cash! And that Graeme's vote to simply have a save option had to go to an agm two thirds majority vote tells you all you need to know about the Smisa tin-pot, Bowling Club approach to democracy.

Also shocking is the fact that the £50k for Ralston did not need to come out of the ring-fenced funds at all! As part of the agreement between smisa and Scott a draw down facility was put in place for the club to borrow money from smisa if required with the proviso it was paid back. So the club could have simply drawn down £50k from that account, (which they have not yet accessed at all) and paid it back by installments.

but then they wouldnt have got the £50k for free then!!! Funny how the Smisa committee dont tell the membership that?

I will now keep my subs in the bank, ready for the inevitable S.O.S. Save Our Saints campaign when this bunch of chancers have spent all our, and their money and f**ked the club.

15 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

Cockles,

Yes, I had your proxy. With only 27 votes cast, that included the members of the SMISA board, there were 20 of 1221 members there.

I hope they didn't think I was joking when I said I'd see them next year :D. and the year after if need be.

That's pretty worrying, not that I'm in a position to talk as I wasn't there. First time I went was in 2015 and you could pretty much have had your own table in hospitality so few folk were there. 2016 was busy because Buy the Buds was being launched, 2017 there was a good turnout too and not sure about last year as I couldn't make it.

Kinda confirms my theory that, rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of the members aren't that fussed about the runnings of SMiSA and some of the stuff discussed in ridiculous debates on here but are quite happy just to pay their money and have no further involvement.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

That's pretty worrying, not that I'm in a position to talk as I wasn't there. First time I went was in 2015 and you could pretty much have had your own table in hospitality so few folk were there. 2016 was busy because Buy the Buds was being launched, 2017 there was a good turnout too and not sure about last year as I couldn't make it.

Kinda confirms my theory that, rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of the members aren't that fussed about the runnings of SMiSA and some of the stuff discussed in ridiculous debates on here but are quite happy just to pay their money and have no further involvement.

Yes, unfortunately, for whatever reason they have, the majority of members have no interest in attending meetings and without a members forum (which i had requested at one time) the majority of members will never know each other never mind be able to discuss issues among themselves. The only way members find out about any issue is what they read from SMiSA board emails so it is always one sided.

It would take a leaflet drop at a few games to contact members and advertise a members chat forum, which could be very difficult to set up - or not, i don't know. Unless something like that could be set up then members will only be able to make decisions based on what they read in official emails. People would connect more with a chat forum than they would by attending meetings because as has been proven there is little interest in attending meetings.

Almost as many people have posted on this thread as the amount who voted at the AGM, and i'd bet that a whole lot more will have read this thread.

Edited by buddiecat

As was highlighted at the meeting there are a huge amount of SMISA members who live outwith the Paisley area ( myself included) so attending meetings is not always an option. I'm quite comfortable with the fact that 1200 members (who were not at the meeting) are happy with what they signed up for and trust those on the board to do the best for us all. Yes, we will get a few on this thread with a different opinion but I think the fact that membership has remained fairly consistent indicates that most are happy to be involved, albeit without engaging on here or at meetings.

Edited by Smithers Jones

23 minutes ago, HSS said:

I'm sure numbers attending would increase if AGM was held on a midweek evening rather than pre match Saturday.

I would agree with that HSS, with an early start and a chance of a pint or two after the meeting it could pull in a bigger audience, however the board seem quite happy that a pre-match meeting is the best way to get maximum attendance.

55 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

I would agree with that HSS, with an early start and a chance of a pint or two after the meeting it could pull in a bigger audience, however the board seem quite happy that a pre-match meeting is the best way to get maximum attendance.

Best way to to get a minimum attendance, that's what they want.

1 hour ago, Vambo57 said:

Would an AGM after a Saturday game attract a bigger attendance?

I dont think a Sat is a good day as people have their pre/post match routine.Sat is a football day,not for meetings about football.

On the other hand a Sat gives those from out of Town the chance to attend and take in a game............

On 3/31/2019 at 5:05 PM, Kombibuddie said:

Thank you.

Yes, SMISA presented the proxy votes before the meeting.

There were 13 proxies, even if they were all in favour, there still wasn't enough to get near the 2/3 majority required.

Did they do it as a secret ballot kind of thing? One of the proxy votes was mine. 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:36 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Sad to hear, but knew inevitably that the smisa board would tilt every lever to stop Graeme's vote going through. Wasn't able to get there for the agm, voted by proxy, and got a rundown of the highlights. Absolutely shocking a smisa board member could say that the option to save for the future would complicate the vote, and then not be able to say how, it would be a complication.

Gordon was never going to let them/us bank the money for our rainy day fund. He has said even before BtB went through that our money would just be lying there and he has rifled it on a number of occasions now.

The fact a members proposal to buy Feckin hand dryers made it on to a vote on a nod, because the club wanted the cash! And that Graeme's vote to simply have a save option had to go to an agm two thirds majority vote tells you all you need to know about the Smisa tin-pot, Bowling Club approach to democracy.

Also shocking is the fact that the £50k for Ralston did not need to come out of the ring-fenced funds at all! As part of the agreement between smisa and Scott a draw down facility was put in place for the club to borrow money from smisa if required with the proviso it was paid back. So the club could have simply drawn down £50k from that account, (which they have not yet accessed at all) and paid it back by installments.

but then they wouldnt have got the £50k for free then!!! Funny how the Smisa committee dont tell the membership that?

I will now keep my subs in the bank, ready for the inevitable S.O.S. Save Our Saints campaign when this bunch of chancers have spent all our, and their money and f**ked the club.

Very nice and balanced conversation on this post following the vote, then the inevitable LPM (baseless) breakdown. 

The sheer desperation and straw clutching in this post over a vote that gained under 0.9% yes votes of the full eligible voting population.

How much ‘tilting’ do you think the SMISA board had to do to beat that? Or do you think it’s a lot more likely you’re just bitter? 

Graeme has been massively dignified in this proposal and his support for democracy, you are just embarrassing yourself. 

Some further reality that again proves your hatred for all things SMISA: 

- the hand dryer option got more votes than this proposal, it is perfectly valid and how democracy works 

- the £50k was democratically voted through by members. Not sure why you’re incapable of understanding many ‘St Mirren fans’ would want to save ‘St Mirren’ money in any way they can. It also remains at little to no overall cost because the money is being replaced by the way 

- They don’t need to tell the members, anyone that can read English and has half a brain can understand what the £50k proposal involved. Is this you criticising the common sense of your fellow St Mirren fans again? 

- how’s the call to action going? Still next to no one buying into your fact-less nonsense? I’ll say it again, I look forward to the completion of BTB and your admittance to being wrong on this... because you’ve been so willing to admit the many, many, many times you’ve been wrong on here before :rolleyes:

i assume the subs in the bank comment is you announcing your cancellation of BTB to the world after spitting the dummy because the side you wanted to win lost a fair vote? Good hopefully we won’t have to put up with your drivel for much longer.  

Very nice and balanced conversation on this over a vote that gained under 0.9% yes votes of the full eligible voting population.  

Yet only 1.3% No votes of the full eligible voting population.0

11% of the votes cast were from London based buddies.

The inteligence gained from the AGM is encouraging to bring it back to the table with a tweak or 2.

See you at next years AGM 🤣

11 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Very nice and balanced conversation on this post following the vote, then the inevitable LPM (baseless) breakdown. 

The sheer desperation and straw clutching in this post over a vote that gained under 0.9% yes votes of the full eligible voting population.

but it wasnt a vote that was put to the full voting population. In essence it went to twenty odd members who turned up, or proxied.

- the hand dryer option got more votes than this proposal, it is perfectly valid and how democracy works 

it wasnt democratic at all. Smisa informed us The hand dryer option was from a member. But that option didnt have to go through an AGM two thirds majority motion to get on the ballot sheet, it went through on a nod! Because it was money to the club.

- the £50k was democratically voted through by members. Not sure why you’re incapable of understanding many ‘St Mirren fans’ would want to save ‘St Mirren’ money in any way they can. It also remains at little to no overall cost because the money is being replaced by the way 

either you know well, or you know nothing of the fact the club already had access to a draw down smisa account (the secret rainy day fund) where they could have drawn the Ralston £50k from without rifling what where absolutely guaranteed to be ringfenced funds.

but then the club would have in theory at least had to pay that back. So they elected to rifle the ringfenced funds.

unlike you, the facts speak for themselves, what cant talk, cant lie. Now please give us all a good laugh and explain how tou can disprove the three facts i have given you above?

Hi, Ho Silver... lol

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I can tell you’re hurting because unlike you I have consistently been in the majority of voting SMISA members, it must hurt. Ouch 

How can I disprove your facts? I will just very easily just address them thanks. 

‘Didn’t go to full voting population’ this is false, everyone had an opportunity to vote in person or by proxy. for example I couldn’t make it and didn’t know anyone that was going for sure. I contacted SMISA and they allowed me to proxy through an attending member as it clearly stated on their email. Any member could have done the same. This is like saying elections aren’t democratic because some eligible voters don’t cast, it’s ridiculous. What this does support though, is your claim that a large enough number of SMISA members exist, that are becoming disenfranchised, to the point the deal is in danger is completely false.  

Second also false. This is just showing your lack of understanding on how BTB and the £2 fund works. Do you think that option was the exact same as the members proposal at the AGM, or do I need to explain why it’s not? If you don’t have the ability to understand the difference I’m happy to explain it to you? 

Hallelujah he’s actually stated a correct fact! Remember the time and date lads. Correct we could have used the £50k emergency funds, something that has been by no means a secret. Unfortunately for you, a majority of voting members were happy to take it from the ring fence then pay it back. This option appealed to a lot of fans because it saves the club we support money to spend on other things and helps move us forward. Something you clearly wish to hinder at any possible opportunity.   

Did you get the fireworks you hoped for when cancelling your direct debit? Lol 

25 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I can tell you’re hurting because unlike you I have consistently been in the majority of voting SMISA members, it must hurt. Ouch 

How can I disprove your facts? I will just very easily just address them thanks. 

‘Didn’t go to full voting population’ this is false, everyone had an opportunity to vote in person or by proxy. for example I couldn’t make it and didn’t know anyone that was going for sure. I contacted SMISA and they allowed me to proxy through an attending member as it clearly stated on their email. Any member could have done the same. This is like saying elections aren’t democratic because some eligible voters don’t cast, it’s ridiculous. What this does support though, is your claim that a large enough number of SMISA members exist, that are becoming disenfranchised, to the point the deal is in danger is completely false.  

Second also false. This is just showing your lack of understanding on how BTB and the £2 fund works. Do you think that option was the exact same as the members proposal at the AGM, or do I need to explain why it’s not? If you don’t have the ability to understand the difference I’m happy to explain it to you? 

Hallelujah he’s actually stated a correct fact! Remember the time and date lads. Correct we could have used the £50k emergency funds, something that has been by no means a secret. Unfortunately for you, a majority of voting members were happy to take it from the ring fence then pay it back. This option appealed to a lot of fans because it saves the club we support money to spend on other things and helps move us forward. Something you clearly wish to hinder at any possible opportunity.   

Did you get the fireworks you hoped for when cancelling your direct debit? Lol 

Thanks for confirming they are all facts. And for the laughs at your rage, I knew you wouldnt let us down!

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thanks for confirming they are all facts. And for the laughs at your rage, I knew you wouldnt let us down!

Are you trying your best to get as many wrong points on here as possible? You understand me saying the first two were false isn’t me confirming they are facts? :rolleyes:

well done on the 33% success rate though, it must be a record high for you. Just a shame the last one you are in a massive democratic minority over :booty 

Any further forward on the ‘call to action?’ Double figures must be looming... 

Now seems the perfect opportunity for smisa members to be letting their representatives on the board know whether they are desirous of followers of certain clubs being welcomed at SMP.

Will apathy prevail as like everything else smisa related?

12 hours ago, melmac said:

Now seems the perfect opportunity for smisa members to be letting their representatives on the board know whether they are desirous of followers of certain clubs being welcomed at SMP.

Will apathy prevail as like everything else smisa related?

Given the club chairman promised smisa members would be consulted, then went ahead with no consultation whatsoever! Its more a case of 'pathetic' pandering (pun intended) to their OF pals. Werent they seen on the big screens at Ibrox toadting the queen with their sevco pals?

3 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I'm just checking, If you repeat something often enough it doesn't become true?

Are you suggesting the chairman didnt say he would consult smisa members before allocating an extra stand to the OF..?

if so you may wish to listen to all the other people in the room at those three meetings who witnessed it!