International Fitba

TPAFKA Jersey 2

14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I was kiddin however partly serious, I mean they are hardly European are they ? Austrialia are in the European Song Contest so I guess anything is possible these days :whistle

I can only guess as to Oaky’s point, but I’m assuming it was simply that Kazakhstan used to be part of the Soviet Union and if we were happy for it to be considered Europe then, why would we not now as an independent country. Also for the reasons I mentioned, the geography argument doesn’t really fly either.

I do know you were only half serious though.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If you were at the new grun, why did you call it the “Stadium in the Sky”? The new grun is in Torshavn and isnae in the sky.

Naw but hod on. Were you at the one Maloney and Gary O’Connor scored? Coz that wasnae at the new grun. That was at the Toftir one tae. Incidentally, that was the one game I was talking about that I missed in those 15 years.

Scotland havenae played at the new grun have they? Have I forgotten a game? Or are you just haverin pish? :P

ETA

Aye, Scotland have never played at the new grun (i.e. the one in your link above) so who the f**k did you go and see?:lol: 

I have simply, of course, been testing your power of recollection.

"Adam was called up by national manager Alex McLeish to the Scotland squad for the first time on 11 May 2007 for a friendly against Austria and a Euro 2008 qualifying Group B match against the Faroe Islands.[99] He made his debut at the Gerhard Hanappi Stadium in Vienna on 30 May as a 67th-minute substitute, in a 1–0 victory.[100]He then made his competitive debut as a 77th-minute substitute in a 2–0 win over the Faroe Islands at the Svangaskarð stadium in Toftir on 6 June.[101] "

I was fully aware that I'd been in the... ahem...  Svangaskarð grun, as we called it...  :rolleyes:

You missed a lovely evening...  :P

8 hours ago, DougJamie said:

My issue is how the feck is Kazakstan in Europe:huh:

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Is that a serious question?

Of course it's a serious question. When I was a boy the dividing line between Europe and Asia was the Ural Mountains. Kazakhstan lies a considerable distance to the east of the Urals. :)

1 hour ago, smcc said:

Of course it's a serious question. When I was a boy the dividing line between Europe and Asia was the Ural Mountains. Kazakhstan lies a considerable distance to the east of the Urals. :)

It's just Oaksoft trying to be a smart arse and belittle another poster, but actually just showing himself up as an ignoramus once again.

Kazakhstan is in Central Asia, and it would be pretty easy to make the case they shouldn't be playing in European football. Only about 10% of the country could be considered to be in Europe, and where the game will be played is nowhere near Europe. You're pretty close to Mongolia over there actually!

I have to confess to not being that interested in international fitbaw,  but with this squad's inclusion of 3 ex Saints players I'll be showing a little more interest than usual.  

Can anyone remember a time this has happened previously? 

13 hours ago, Kemp said:

It's just Oaksoft trying to be a smart arse and belittle another poster, but actually just showing himself up as an ignoramus once again.

Kazakhstan is in Central Asia, and it would be pretty easy to make the case they shouldn't be playing in European football. Only about 10% of the country could be considered to be in Europe, and where the game will be played is nowhere near Europe. You're pretty close to Mongolia over there actually!

I am not trying to be a smart arse either, but we have Israel playing in Europe too,  and they are in the Middle East!

Anyway - International football when Scotland are so poor sucks. if you are a Scotland fan. Although Scotland are a relatively small nation, the entire game from grass roots up needs to drastically improve.

For me that means we need a huge shift in the control, financing and bias towards 2 teams in order that every team can have a real chance to be more successful. Greater competition internally without those 2 being able to take the best players from other teams to keep their advantage over them.

But hey ho - that is another topic.

In other countries playing for your country is a real honour,  Scotland seem to have lost this, but it is understandable at the level they have fallen too. i.e. there was a time that Scotland could fairly regularly beat England - never mind Wales etc. Will those days return?

2 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Anyway - International football when Scotland are so poor sucks. if you are a Scotland fan. Although Scotland are a relatively small nation, the entire game from grass roots up needs to drastically improve.

For me that means we need a huge shift in the control, financing and bias towards 2 teams in order that every team can have a real chance to be more successful. Greater competition internally without those 2 being able to take the best players from other teams to keep their advantage over them.

While Scotland continues to have kids playing on massive pitches, nothing is going to change unfortunately.

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

What age do you think or do you know that kids are before they play on full size pitch? emoji106.png

Ps is that full size 130yds x 100yds or 100yds x 50yds emoji6.png

Around 15/16 I think.

Going by what Belgium did, we improved after revamping the youth system completely. Part of that revamp was to introduces bigger pitches and bigger teams as they progressed in age. That way, all players are getting plenty of ball time at a young age, and they all have to learn how to move quickly, pass quickly and cope in tighter spaces. Meanwhile in Scotland small players are too small, if in doubt punt it and so forth. The proof is there that the smaller teams/smaller pitches does develop players better, it’s a big part behind Belgium’s success and it’s a big reason the Dutch were one of the world’s best for a long time (albeit they are suffering atm). Even the Portuguese team in the six-a-side league I play in look much more comfortable and composed than their (mainly) English counterparts, because they’ve grown up playing this kind of football.

31 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Around 15/16 I think.

Going by what Belgium did, we improved after revamping the youth system completely. Part of that revamp was to introduces bigger pitches and bigger teams as they progressed in age. That way, all players are getting plenty of ball time at a young age, and they all have to learn how to move quickly, pass quickly and cope in tighter spaces. Meanwhile in Scotland small players are too small, if in doubt punt it and so forth. The proof is there that the smaller teams/smaller pitches does develop players better, it’s a big part behind Belgium’s success and it’s a big reason the Dutch were one of the world’s best for a long time (albeit they are suffering atm). Even the Portuguese team in the six-a-side league I play in look much more comfortable and composed than their (mainly) English counterparts, because they’ve grown up playing this kind of football.

I thought I read somewhere that we WERE using smaller pitches for kids in Scotland.

Are we really still making them play on full sized pitches? That would be ridiculous if true.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I thought I read somewhere that we WERE using smaller pitches for kids in Scotland.

Are we really still making them play on full sized pitches? That would be ridiculous if true.

No. It's not true. At least not for the young kids.

Edited by stlucifer

4 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

To play in a full size pitch I believe a youth has to be 13.

There is a gradual pitch and team sizes through different age groups.

Info better explained here.

https://www.scottishyouthfa.co.uk/index.php/information-downloads/football-games-and-tournaments

Cheers for that. I still think 13 is too young but I think it used to be younger than that.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Things possibly changed after I moved down, it’s been a few years now. 

27 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Cheers for that. I still think 13 is too young but I think it used to be younger than that.

Things possibly changed after I moved down, it’s been a few years now. 

I agree with you that 13 is still too young. Personally I think 15 is a better age.

Watching Scotland today was like watching St Mirren at the start of the season, clueless on and off the pitch. SFA done what Gilmour did for years and went for the cheap and easy option. Would also say to all the Scottish players that wont play on plastic at least once a season to go away and don't come back.  

On 3/18/2019 at 2:19 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:

I love international football - for me there’s no better tournament in football than the World Cup. The Champions League lost relevance when money started being the main factor. With internationals, most of the hard work a country has made to develop a player will still benefit that country for years as you can’t just “choose” to play for Brazil, Germany etc.

You can if your Diego Costa!

Belgium 3-1 Russia

Youri Tielemans 15

Eden Hazard 45pen, 88

Russia Goal - Cheryshev 16

Golovin S/O 90

Solid win to start the campaign against what’s probably the most dangerous opposition in the group. No Lukaku, De Bruyne or Meunier for this match, and a new look midfield four with Castagne on the right, Thorgan Hazard on the left and Tielemans/Dendoncker in the middle.

Biggest concern is that we are still playing f**king Boyata. With Alderweireld and Vertonghen in their 30s now (who played with Boyata in the back 3), we need some better players coming through as soon as possible.

Pleased with the win either way - just wish Scotland would make an effort to make the Top 2 alongside Belgium instead of playing utter shite. At least they’ve got the Nations League playoff as a fallback...

How far can Scotland fall?  Kazakhstan, what a joke - the usual way we begin tournaments, giving up our chance for qualification, then we get some better results but it is too little too late...

Not enough breadth of quality from enough teams who nurture Scottish players ! :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

How far can Scotland fall?  Kazakhstan, what a joke - the usual way we begin tournaments, giving up our chance for qualification, then we get some better results but it is too little too late...

Not enough breadth of quality from enough teams who nurture Scottish players ! :ph34r:

Easy to answer

We lose/ Draw to San Marino Sunday---- Impossible- eh no , and becoming a possibility.

The SFA need to explain - why they sacked Starchan with no Plan B, rumour is, he could be back soon......

McLeish is a non entity - he has accomplished nothing in football as a manager. He failed at Gers even with all those EBTs flying about, he was crap at Birmingham, bar a flukey LC win, appalling at Villa .

He clearly has no clue how to set up a defence or an attack. and lets be honest beating Albiania and Israel is hardly an achievement

I dont usually agree with Tom English, but in this case, McLeish should be sacked after that one performance alone, we are seriously putting our faith in him ?

Rather have Alan Stubbs at the helm , even he wouldnt play McBurnie

21 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

Don't we automatically qualify for the playoff due to the Nations Cup placing?

There is no play off from the group. It’s a straight top two qualify. 

We are guaranteed our NL play off by virtue of winning our NL group, if we don’t qualify through the main qualifying group. One off home semi final against Finland, winner plays the the winner of the other semi between Serbia and Norway, probably at home but not decided yet. 

14 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

There is no play off from the group. It’s a straight top two qualify. 

We are guaranteed our NL play off by virtue of winning our NL group, if we don’t qualify through the main qualifying group. One off home semi final against Finland, winner plays the the winner of the other semi between Serbia and Norway, probably at home but not decided yet. 

I believe if any of the four nations mentioned qualify through their group, then they don’t take part in the playoff and will be replaced by Bulgaria. I think League A is the only one where the teams will remain the same as that’s for the actual trophy.

As for Scotland, people have short memories. Before the disaster in Kazakhstan we done the double over Albania (including a 4-0 away win) and beat Israel at home, thus securing top of the group and promotion to League B. We might not win big in San Marino but I think it’s silly some are suggesting Scotland will lose this one, our recent competitive results were decent enough before the Kazakh raping. 

12 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I believe if any of the four nations mentioned qualify through their group, then they don’t take part in the playoff and will be replaced by Bulgaria. I think League A is the only one where the teams will remain the same as that’s for the actual trophy.

As for Scotland, people have short memories. Before the disaster in Kazakhstan we done the double over Albania (including a 4-0 away win) and beat Israel at home, thus securing top of the group and promotion to League B. We might not win big in San Marino but I think it’s silly some are suggesting Scotland will lose this one, our recent competitive results were decent enough before the Kazakh raping. 

Yes that’s right re the format, although you can’t say Bulgaria will step up for sure, as they may qualify themselves of course. Essentially the final participants in the play off are unknown until after the qualifiers, unless; all 4 currently in situ fail to qualify through the groups.

On your second point, I agree with the short memories thing as the NL proved that we were capable of coming out on top in a group of our peers. However, there is no disguising or excusing how utterly horrific that result and more importantly performance was in Kazakhstan.