One town,one team

9 hours ago, FTOF said:

Where I work is a "school of rugby". Each year group, since a couple of years ago, has a group of boys who attend some classes as a "rugby class". We also have a girls rugby team.

However, football is way more popular, with a boys team in each year group and a couple of girls teams too. The senior team reached the Scottish final recently. A lot of the boys play for football clubs out with the school too.

Much more interest amongst the pupils in relation to football than rugby. Much the same in the surrounding schools too.

Your school is doing a grand job I'm impressed each year has a football team. That's the way it should be as many students as possible feeling they are part of something just maybe leading to playing the game at all levels when they leave school. In my day it was one school one team. Is it now normal for schools to have teams for each year or is your school a shinning light. 

14 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

And 40% do not live in Paisley

And your point is?

You claimed there was only 1400 St Mirren supporters which is bollocks to use your terminology. I am Paisley born and bred but now live in Ayrshire. I live slightly closer to Rugby Park than Greenhill Rd so Home games are a journey for me like many other Buddies. What's the problem with that?

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

And your point is?

You claimed there was only 1400 St Mirren supporters which is bollocks to use your terminology. I am Paisley born and bred but now live in Ayrshire. I live slightly closer to Rugby Park than Greenhill Rd so Home games are a journey for me like many other Buddies. What's the problem with that?

11 minutes ago, pod said:

What percentage of that originate from Paisley.  Once a Paisley boy, always a Paisley boy. Not forgetting the girls. :wink:

Quite correct.

It's as useful a statement as "Brexit is Brexit".IE No use.

Think most poster's missing poing of thread...one town, one team a pile oh pish..majority of Paisley people don't support Saint's or give a toss about them....when you see the ridiculous match day prices to watch limited ability footballers it's totally understandable...the standard is terrible, stadium is soul-less, non-existent atmosphere, stupid prices for catering and even more so for hospitality...the whole product is shit...

2 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Think most poster's missing poing of thread...one town, one team a pile oh pish..majority of Paisley people don't support Saint's or give a toss about them....when you see the ridiculous match day prices to watch limited ability footballers it's totally understandable...the standard is terrible, stadium is soul-less, non-existent atmosphere, stupid prices for catering and even more so for hospitality...the whole product is shit...

803793E8-C958-42F6-8440-61F1CA0DF76C.jpeg

4 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Think most poster's missing poing of thread...one town, one team a pile oh pish..majority of Paisley people don't support Saint's or give a toss about them....when you see the ridiculous match day prices to watch limited ability footballers it's totally understandable...the standard is terrible, stadium is soul-less, non-existent atmosphere, stupid prices for catering and even more so for hospitality...the whole product is shit...just like my post.

FIFY

6 hours ago, gstretchuk said:

Dull as ......

C4yiEZ3WcAQyRGH.jpg

20 hours ago, Sonny said:

And your point is?

Me to Paisley born and bred and proud of it. 

23 hours ago, pod said:

What percentage of that originate from Paisley.  Once a Paisley boy, always a Paisley boy. Not forgetting the girls. :wink:

It's great that ex Paisley people come to watch the Saints,long may that continue, but it's not sustainable, we need the people who actually  live in the Town to get down to the stadium to support the club.

It's just not happening and there's nothing in the Town that helps to draw them in,no st mirren shop,no ticket booths,no advertising ,nothing.

If you did nt buy the Paisley Express you would never know we existed in the Town

14 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

It's great that ex Paisley people come to watch the Saints,long may that continue, but it's not sustainable, we need the people who actually  live in the Town to get down to the stadium to support the club.

It's just not happening and there's nothing in the Town that helps to draw them in,no st mirren shop,no ticket booths,no advertising ,nothing.

If you did nt buy the Paisley Express you would never know we existed in the Town

What's not sustainable is being so close to the two ugliest teams in Scotland. We're no worse than Partick Thistle, Clyde moved away and poor Clydebank disappeared. 

Sadly the only way to sustain a significant increase in gates  is to have a successful football team that wins major honours and/or qualifies for Europe.

No amount of advertising etc. is going to boost our numbers significantly.

This season would have been a good opportunity to build on last year's success. Unfortunately the board fucked up by appointing a complete fud of a manager in June.

IMO even if we did achieve mid table mediocrity, with occasional foray into the top six, our gates might increase a bit, but not by a huge margin, due to the presence of the aforementioned bigot brothers. Competing with them is not a level playing field.

Unfortunately, it would seem, that other than the one out of the blue League/Scottish cup every 25-30 years or so, our major source of feelgood factor and crowd boosting, would seem to be when we win the championship. Unfortunately that means leaving the top league which would appear to be rather counter productive. Although, due to our abject shiteness this season, we may well be getting a chance to re-visit attempting to win the championship much sooner than we all hoped.

What's not sustainable is being so close to the two ugliest teams in Scotland. We're no worse than Partick Thistle, Clyde moved away and poor Clydebank disappeared. 

If we keep drifting along, chasing tv cash at the expense of building a future fan base, then it definitely is not sustainable.

Waldorf makes a good point though. Why not be proactive?
Advertise. Incentivise. Build the support. It may involve a short term hit... But think on it as an investment.

We are a few bad decisions away from being a Third Lanark, Clydebank or Airdrie.

SG saved us from the abyss... But why are we settling for what we have rather than what we can be?

Why did we not even try to incentivise fans following our promotion? Not one idea. Not one attempt. Nothing.

Instead, we took easy money from the old firm... Which is NOT guaranteed from season to season!

I hear you Waldorf. Your point stands.

37 minutes ago, FTOF said:

IMO even if we did achieve mid table mediocrity, with occasional foray into the top six, our gates might increase a bit, but not by a huge margin, due to the presence of the aforementioned bigot brothers. Competing with them is not a level playing field.

St Johnstone are a perfect example of this. They’ve had some decent seasons and qualified for Europe too, but their fan base isn’t much bigger than ours anyway. Support for all of us is stifled by the bigots.

One of the things I would like to see us do more of is to give more free tickets away to schools, youth clubs etc. If we aren’t filling up the Fanily Stand we won’t be losing anything anyway. While they are young, it’s an opportunity to turn them away from the bigot clubs and towards their local club instead. Most adults won’t change who they support, nor will they suddenly turn up to watch their local side. Kids are easier to convince to change their mind, and that’s got to be a target area.

48 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

St Johnstone are a perfect example of this. They’ve had some decent seasons and qualified for Europe too, but their fan base isn’t much bigger than ours anyway. Support for all of us is stifled by the bigots.

One of the things I would like to see us do more of is to give more free tickets away to schools, youth clubs etc. If we aren’t filling up the Fanily Stand we won’t be losing anything anyway. While they are young, it’s an opportunity to turn them away from the bigot clubs and towards their local club instead. Most adults won’t change who they support, nor will they suddenly turn up to watch their local side. Kids are easier to convince to change their mind, and that’s got to be a target area.

A few years ago, one of the women at my work used to take groups of kids to the games as her son's school received free tickets. There was an intial interest from the kids, but due to the product on the park, interest waned and in the end, they couldn't even give the tickets away!

Which sort of brings me back to my opening statement.

Of course we should continue to give free tickets to kids, but I'd be interested to see just how many have become St.Mirren supporters as a result of attending with free tickets. I wouldn't imagine that there are many , with no previous interest in St.Mirren, who are now supporters. A large proportion of kids nowadays seem to want the instant gratification that comes with following the likes of Man City, Barcelona et al. if they've not already been ensnared by the pervading stench of the bigot brothers.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

A few years ago, one of the women at my work used to take groups of kids to the games as her son's school received free tickets. There was an intial interest from the kids, but due to the product on the park, interest waned and in the end, they couldn't even give the tickets away!

Of course we should continue to give free tickets to kids, but I'd be interested to see just how many have become St.Mirren supporters as a result of attending with free tickets. I wouldn't imagine that there are many , with no previous interest in St.Mirren, who are now supporters. A large proportion of kids nowadays seem to want the instant gratification that comes with following the likes of Man City, Barcelona et al. if they've not already been ensnared by the pervading stench of the bigot brothers.

If you can't get people to come along with free ticket's then you have no chance...with the ridiculous prices to buy on matchdays....it's because the whole experience is so boring...the product on the park is atrocious and most of the kids are bored before game start's..

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

That’s a fair point. That being said, if you can convert 2 or 3 in a group of, say 20, long term it can still help the club in some way (if those 2 or 3 bought season tickets in future, even potentially when they become parents and get their own kids involved - obviously that won’t solve much of the current issues).

The product on the park is not great for most teams in Scotland, that’s what makes it difficult. With good youth coaching focused on ball skills and technical ability instead of the lump it long mentality, the whole Scottish game would be better to watch. I always go back to mentioning Belgium when it comes to youth but I’ve found the Belgian League has been a decent watch in recent years thanks to the improvement in youth coaching, because most teams are now attack minded and trying to do good things with the ball. It does help that we have no dominant force drawing in 60K/50K Neanderthals, but the product is good to watch too.

5 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

That’s a fair point. That being said, if you can convert 2 or 3 in a group of, say 20, long term it can still help the club in some way (if those 2 or 3 bought season tickets in future, even potentially when they become parents and get their own kids involved - obviously that won’t solve much of the current issues).

The product on the park is not great for most teams in Scotland, that’s what makes it difficult. With good youth coaching focused on ball skills and technical ability instead of the lump it long mentality, the whole Scottish game would be better to watch. I always go back to mentioning Belgium when it comes to youth but I’ve found the Belgian League has been a decent watch in recent years thanks to the improvement in youth coaching, because most teams are now attack minded and trying to do good things with the ball. It does help that we have no dominant force drawing in 60K/50K Neanderthals, but the product is good to watch too.

The kids are developed to pass ball and technical ability. The problem is most of the natural ability is coached out them and they are terrified of making a mistake. Instead of playing natural game they are trying to turn them into robots. One particular first team squad member was a standout at youth level, took players on, very skillfull. I thought he would be a sensation. Totally different player today due to the coaching and fear factor.

Guest TPAFKATS
I don't buy the Paisley express and don't know anyone who does. They all know of St. Mirren though.

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
On 3/24/2019 at 1:10 PM, waldorf34 said:

I don't buy the Paisley express and don't know anyone who does. They all know of St. Mirren though.

It's not you we are after ,it's the 73,000 in Paisley that don t turn up!!

In any business you will not survive if it's only your loyal customers that buy your product,you have to advertise and entice those other customers that pass by.

How do we advertise? Only St Mirren supporters look at St Mirren social media.

We need a f***off advertising hoarding announcing our next home game ,how else are we going to get the passing trade!

In any business you will not survive if it's only your loyal customers that buy your product,you have to advertise and entice those other customers that pass by.
How do we advertise? Only St Mirren supporters look at St Mirren social media.
We need a f***off advertising hoarding announcing our next home game ,how else are we going to get the passing trade!
Biggest potential source of increased support is existing fans bringing friends along

Our whole setup and price structure makes this totally impractical.